Do you/can you lock an EUC when you want to go inside a store?

#Juan

if there are carts in store - almost always - i throw in cart. I also bring a backpack  for groceries etc. Except one time had to pickup 4 large pizzas - wind would sometimes get hvy on boxes and cause some weird effects on balance. Was an interesting ride home! For running errands it helps to have  a smaller wheel because big/hvy wheels can be a pita to even get in/out of a shopping cart... I have found many cashiers perplexed and confused as they try to charge for the wheel at the cash!

Edited by amelanso
  • Like 1

I’d love to park it somewhere rather than lugging it through stores and restaurants, but there is just too much theft and vandalism in Paris.
My father in the countryside leaves his MSv3 with a flexy bike lock around the handle.

Edited by null

generally the only time I lock my wheel is when i have to make quick stops in buildings with no elevator. these stops are 2-3 minutes or less (taking quick photos and leaving, work related, i usually lock the wheel through the rim or grab handle (or hope the trip is short enough that one of my lightweight wheels can be taken). 

7 hours ago, MikieSWE said:

It is possible. Some wire / chain through the wheel and lock like a bike. Sherman has solid lockable handles. KS16X has not.
However,

I have never heard of anyone I know or talk to, that leave their wheel behind.
I go to grocery store with full gear, carrying my helmet, and having wheel with me. Never an issue anywhere.
I go to the dentist. I politely ask if I can put my gear somewhere. Never a problem.
I go to surgery, Doctors, Nurses, and Physiotherapists for weeks. Never a problem.
I work as a teacher in School. I am commuting so its there with me.
If I go to restaurants, etc. Its with me. I even ask if I can recharge if I have that need. Works great too.
I've done this since beginning of February 2020 when I started to learn how to ride. I used my car 2 times only since then.

This is my own solution, maybe many others do the same.

Question was lock it outside WHEN YOU HAVE TO...   That never happen to me, and if it does.. I probably chose some other way around to avoid lock it outside.
Cheers.

+1 ...... However I do carry a lock just in case. 

Office, stores, health care, anywhere I ride the wheel I always walk in with the wheel. With the handle extended majority of EUCs look quite harmless. I was only stopped once by an obnoxious guard at a mall entrance, who said that “this” is not allowed inside, I asked him to call for his supervisor, he dialed and got approval to let me in on the phone, despite trying to argue “how do I make sure he doesn’t ride it inside?”.

Stop by the entrance, put your mask on (hello 2020) extend the handle and walk in. Ask no questions. Control your wheel. You’ll be alright.

I would prefer to turn around and find another more sensible business than to leave my EUC outside. It’s not a bag that could interest “loss prevention” guys, it’s small enough to not bother other people, it’s safe when controlled. With novel devices some rules are not yet written for them, let’s make sure we build proper ground for future rules and regulations by behaving properly but also by not suggesting or accepting groundless restrictions.

Edited by ( _ ) Alexey
  • Like 1

I take my wheel with me all the time. I do make sure all the lights are off before I get near any store or coffee shops etc. My wheel just looks like fancy luggage anyway and I think that's a big advantage here. I know wheels like the V11 are said to look like proper vehicles but I think that makes it much less likely to be allowed into some stores. Many of the 18" wheels allow you to use a U-lock to lock them to a railing etc - the danger though is if some kid comes along and presses the on button - does the wheel break trying to right itself? Most Kingsong wheels have an immobilise function in the app that stops the wheel from balancing until it's turned off. Here in London, bicycles chained to railings are stolen all the time, so I feel much happier taking my wheel with me.

I found that part of the attraction in buying an EUC was the compact size meaning I could take it with me in shops etc. They are easy to push on the trolley handle so I've never felt the need to lock my wheel up.

I regularly take mine for a ride into town and have a few beers then get the bus back home, its size means I can take it into the bar with me.

• Upvote 2

I would hesitate to leave a unicycle outside unless it had an ignition lock and a superglue'd valve stem.  The good news is, taking it into the grocery is quite expeditious, where it stows on the bottom level of the trolley.  On the other hand, shopping is a slight pain at Wal-Mart or Target, where they sell electric unicycles that look similar.  Such is the price of progress.

If you really want to secure your EUC on the streets, I suggest 3 items to deter thefts. 1) A motion sensor. Anyone touches the EUC will set off a loud alarm. 2) A sturdy cable to tie it to a pole or bike rack. 3) Install a GPS tracker inside the EUC. In case it's stolen, you still have a last recourse. These 3 items should create a strong deterrence. I have a motion sensor on mine and stored it in employee lounge. So far, every time someone touched it, the alarm sounded. And people have learnt to leave it alone.

Edited by scubadragosan

i have never once left a wheel unattended.... i would never, i have probably gone into a store with a wheel over a thousand times since i have been riding, and never has anyone batted an eye.. not that i would care anyways

• Like 2

On 8/28/2020 at 9:18 PM, #Juan said:

For those that use these to get around town. Do you lock your EUC up like a bicycle outside of stores when you have to leave them outside? If so, any tips and tricks you can fill me in on?

I got my first wheel stolen this way. Now I always take it with me inside.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/4/2020 at 11:30 AM, redsnapper said:

leave machine unattended and u risk losing it - why take a chance?

Because for example I work and I need to keep my wheel in the parking site net to the bikes…

I would not chance leaving my wheels unattended locked or not. I have a nice mountain bike with a dropper post. I used to ride it to the local market and lock it up without worry. One day I came out and it was obvious that someone had been messing with my bike. Upon closer inspection I found that the person had tried to steal my dropper post and ruined the seals in the process. 

Point being is that if someone wants your item bad enough it does not matter how it is secured. They will either get away with the wheel or damage it in the process of attempting to steal it. 

A lot of people can't deal with temptation.

I never bring my euc in stores. Most places I go I hide it in the bush, grass or with a plastic bag. I also have a small, light strap lock I wrap around the rim so it can’t be rolled. If I can figure out a way to block the handle I’d feel a bit more comfortable because it’s really hard to pickup without it.

I live in an area where I’ve only ever seen one electric bike before, so no one even knows about PEV’s. I’d definitely bring it into a store in any major metropolitan areas.