My MSP Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Gas Mileage Looks Good

Today (Sunday) I took it for my first major ride, about 52-miles in the mountains. We climbed ~5200 feet and when you combine all the ups and downs, covered ~14,000-feet.

Fortunately I was joined by @maltocs with his 1800wh 100-volt Nikola and @night_ombudsman with his 1600wh 84-volt MSX. So it was great to have these wheels to compare against. When we reached the top, the MSP and Nikola were within a few percent of each other. I suppose you could say the MSP fared worse because Scot weighs a good 35-pounds more than me.

But certainly the MSP performed very well and I don't think it's suffering from having the more powerful wheel, at least at the speeds that we were riding (moderate). My formal range test is forthcoming.

Here's a cool video from Scot which captures a bit of our ride today. I'm the one sitting :)

if you climb a lot, the smaller diameter wheel will always perform better imho.

Waiting for your range test :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flying W said:

Do you think there will be a "plus" version coming out shortly after you get your personal wheel like the Nicola? 

How did the torque feel going up hill? In Mickey's review it look like a big improvement. 

This was a gentle winding road into the mountains, not enough to require any noticeable torque. I've noticed nothing yet.

My assumption is that Gotway will always be releasing new versions of different wheels. But if I want to be riding on the "bleeding" edge I really can't sit around waiting for the 2nd/3rd generation of any wheel :(

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Flying W said:

Do you think there will be a "plus" version coming out shortly after you get your personal wheel like the Nicola?

The Plus version was the 100V Nikola after the 84V released first. The MSP is 100V already.

Independently of the MSP, there may be a new MSX revision ("V2" or whatever) coming that takes the improvements from the MSP (speakers, headlights, ...).

Gotway will probably always do something new at a later date, but there's no obvious improvement like "Ok, but when does the inevitable 100V version come?" as was the case for the 84V Nik.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cory Brown said:

Is the Nikola still your favorite?

Absolutely

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Great idea!  After a long ride you can connect up your George Foreman grill and have a burger. ;)

:roflmao:

• Like 1

The Cutoff Switch and the Seat

Here's a slightly better view of the mod made to the seat. The hole fits over the button.

IMG_1245

IMG_1242

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

~46-mile ride today with a lot of 20 to 25 mph speeds. ~20% remaining. The range out of this MSP does not suffer at all from the bigger motor.

TBH that doesn't sound great to me. I used to get 30 miles out of my Z10 at the same speeds in the warmer months (about 25 deg C), running it down to the same 20%. Maybe it's just me, but I would expect a battery thats 81% larger (in the MSP) to give more than a 53% increase in range. It does also sorta confirm that my buddy could and did rinse the MSP in just 30 miles when at an average of 25mph to the max 32/33 ish. He was on the beeps quite often as well.

You also said that you got around 50 miles out of your MSX 1600wh. More mileage with a smaller battery than the MSP.

I do however appreciate that theres a lot of variables going on other than speed and air temp though.

Out of interest, what air temp was it in your MSP example Marty?

1 minute ago, Rafal said:

So it gives us a range of 57.5 miles on full charge. Not bad at all.

I got about 35ish miles out of my 18XL going at around the same speeds. That was running it basically to empty.

If the MSP can hit 40 mph safely and has better low-end than the MSX, I think that makes it a very enticing wheel.

30 minutes ago, Jonesq said:

I got about 35ish miles out of my 18XL going at around the same speeds. That was running it basically to empty.

If the MSP can hit 40 mph safely and has better low-end than the MSX, I think that makes it a very enticing wheel.

The MSP will be beeping on it's 80% alarm well before 40mph. All you have to do is check the no load lift cut-out speed. Take off 10mph for safety (which also usually equates to around the 80% beep level).

Edit: meant to say that taking off 10mph usually equates to the no load 80% alarm. So you then have to work back from that for a safe max riding speed.

EG, (for a 100% battery) the 84v MSX no load cut out is about 47~48mph. 80% alarm (no load) is about 36~37mph. In the real world, when riding, this equates to around 33~34 mph when the 80% alarm is reached.

The MSP is very similar to the 84v MSX figures.

I would be very sceptical about the figures presented by the 'stock' MSP in the Russian video.... 

Edited by Planemo

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

The MSP will be beeping on it's 80% alarm well before 40mph. All you have to do is check the no load lift cut-out speed. Take off 10mph for safety (which also usually equates to around the 80% beep level).

Edit: meant to say that taking off 10mph usually equates to the no load 80% alarm. So you then have to work back from that for a safe max riding speed.

EG, (for a 100% battery) the 84v MSX no load cut out is about 47~48mph. 80% alarm (no load) is about 36~37mph. In the real world, when riding, this equates to around 33~34 mph when the 80% alarm is reached.

The MSP is very similar to the 84v MSX figures.

I would be very sceptical about the figures presented by the 'stock' MSP in the Russian video.... 

I'm pretty sure he was riding the beeps, New York cats were beeping at 36.5 mph. 

Nevertheless it's floating about that some impending changes are to be made to the MSUPER PRO, so we'll see if that's anything related to the increased speed. 👍 

11 minutes ago, KAY GEE said:

I'm pretty sure he was riding the beeps, New York cats were beeping at 36.5 mph. 

Agreed. I think around 34mph (at best) is going to be the 80% trigger for the MSP. Even if we were to assume the Russian MSP wasn't modded, a cut out at @ 44mph would indeed suggest an 80% alarm @ 34mph.

11 minutes ago, KAY GEE said:

Nevertheless it's floating about that some impending changes are to be made to the MSUPER PRO, so we'll see if that's anything related to the increased speed. 👍 

Currently floating around the area of Russia I suspect.... <_<