My MSP Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

This is looking like a really nice wheel, once oscillations are sorted in the first few production runs. 

Having a baby threw a wrench into the new wheel fund but that just means I can see how the new ones fair. 

Looking forward to the over heat test since I love riding off road!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KiwiRoller said:

Marty what speed are you getting the 80% beep on the MSP? I keep hearing kind of 33mph to 34mph... is that your experience too?

I've been getting similar results in my MSP tests. And it lowers to 31-32 mph as the battery goes down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lefteris said:

torque is the best aspect of this wheel, so i think acceleration may be perfect ;) 

you're about to order something else
maybe this one ?!

https://eucservice.com/en/gotway-msuper/73-gotway-msuper-pro-speed-msps-1800wh-100v-lg-inr21700m50t-96kmh-unloaded.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fred Bonus said:

Hey Marty, thank you for this great review. Can you tell us something about the acceleration capabilities of this wheel? 

It doesn't feel lacking the acceleration department. I'm not a heavy accelerator due to failures early in my "career". So to avoid faceplants I tend not to do hard starts.

I have to assume torque equates to acceleration

• Like 3

The MSP climbed a hill that only the MCM5 could climb :wub: That alone just put this at the top of my list. 

Is there still a normal beeper in case the speakers get ruined by rocks or sticks? 

The speed seems more than adequate for me. I'm used to cruising around at 23 to 24mph on the mcm5 which eats the battery up pretty fast. On these larger wheels those speeds should still give me range too!

Do you notice a difference in voltage drop with the 21700 batteries?

All this talk about torque (no pun) reminds me of a thread from some time back when I used the argument that a hypothetical wheel with a 10kw motor (and suitable batteries to feed it) would feel stronger than the wheels currently available. The argument was kinda poo-pooed on the basis that if a rider isnt over-leaning their wheel then all the torque in the world wont make it 'torquier' as the wheel will only provide enough torque to balance what is being asked of it, no more.

I accept that. So without power pads or some additional aid to increase leverage, I am confused as to how riders are saying the MSP has more torque if:

1. They arent applying more leverage via powerpads or otherwise.

2. They weren't overleaning their comparison wheel.

In short, if people are doing apples for apples comparisons on what is essentially the same diameter wheel, with the same pedals, same side pads and even the same case (for the purposes of this point), how can it be claimed the MSP has more torque?

I am not trying to make an argument here as I am not doubting the MSP has more torque available, but have these same persons reached overlean point on their old wheels to be able to claim that they have experienced it on the MSP?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Planemo said:

In short, if people are doing apples for apples comparisons on what is essentially the same diameter wheel, with the same pedals, same side pads and even the same case (for the purposes of this point), how can it be claimed the MSP has more torque?

Firmware (the motor control) makes a big difference, just ask any KS owner ;)

Sounds like Gotway was able to do more with the MSP hardware+software than in previous models, excellent!

(You're right that Marty doesn't hit overlean on any of his 14"+ wheels, and so the peak motor torque is not actually being used.)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Firmware (the motor control) makes a big difference

The wheel is either being overleaned (taken beyond the motor/battery power available) or it isn't. I dont see how firmware makes any difference. Unless the FW is that crap that it isn't supplying what the motor/battery are capable of.

(You're right that Marty doesn't hit overlean on any of his 14"+ wheels, and so the peak motor torque is not actually being used.)

So how are people clarifying the MSP has more torque if even the torque on 14" + wheels isn't actually being used?

Edited by Planemo

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

One thing beside the "torque possible by geometry" is "some kind of firmware amplification" which seems to be possible.

The other (?main?) thing is that the msp has a lower kv motor, so for the same torque at the same speed it needs less current. So at some hills (low speed, high torque, high current) the msx could theoreticly by its geometry and electric desogn deliver the torque to go up this hill, but by the high current needed overheat rhe mosfets or even fry them. With the same hill the msp by his lower kv motor needs less current for the same torque abd climb it without overheating the mosfets...

• Like 3