Hands in pocket or out of pocket?

Blicky Te⚡️la

1 hour ago, General Principle said:

While I’ve been searching for windbreaker gloves to fit comfortably underneath my Flexmeters I’ve been keeping my hands in my pockets on cool days.

Where do you guys stand? In or out?

KLIM 3.0 Liner Men's Ski Snowmobile Gloves - Black/Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010UMRAZA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yc2WDbCV4AHG9

2 hours ago, General Principle said:

While I’ve been searching for windbreaker gloves to fit comfortably underneath my Flexmeters I’ve been keeping my hands in my pockets on cool days.

Where do you guys stand? In or out?

i have never ridden with my hands out of my pockets... summer, winter whatever theyre always in my pockets.. i dont know wtf to do with them otherwise feel like a weirdo with them just sitting there at my sides xD only time theyre out is if im on the phone or have a drink in my hand

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kens said:

Hands out all the time (HOATT) cuz:

1. If you hitting surprise pothole or bump you can use spread your hands immediately to balance you out and prevent a wipe out.
  2. If you do fall, you might not have enough time to straighten your arms to lessen the first impact so your jaw, shoulder, or elbow will likely hit the road first.
  3. To waves, thumbs up, and throwing gang signs at pedestrian. Can't do that when your hands is in pocket.

Be safe guys.

im talking like a hoodie or jacket side pocket where it literally takes 1/1000 of a second to take my hands out most of the time.. usually its to nina bats that are dive bombing me at night though lol.. although in the summer if its really hot ill have them in my jeans pockets which of course is much less safe but i dont really plan for the what if i just do whats comfortable lol, im not saying i recommend it thats just what i do

6 minutes ago, Daley1 said:

i,m down to just using my mind to turn.I ride in the Usain Bolt "Lightning Pose"":o

haha, ive had a few people ask me if i have a remote control in my pocket for steering.. like ummmmmm do i have to explain how dumb that sounds :P

I always keep my  hands out of pockets because it's safer ...

*looks at tomorrow's weather forecast, 28F/-2C temperature in the morning*

... unless I need to keep my hands from turning into blocks of ice.

I think I'll be wearing my balaclava for the first time this season.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TonyGrayCanada said:

I don't have the confidence to ride with hands in pockets though when it's really cold I'll put my hands behind my back to keep them warm.

i forced myself from day 1 to put my hands in my pockets and keep them there... i wanted to avoid the flailing arms balance method and develop my core and leg muscles and instincts the best i could.. after a little bit i got so used to it that now it just feels really weird to not have them in my pockets and i dont ever take them out unless i have to.. its also pretty comfortable to have crossed arms, and is good for when its cold, plus you wont lose any possible reaction time

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TonyGrayCanada said:

I like it as a discipline, I hadn't thought of it that way!

its not a good habit per se.. but it forces you to avoid "bad habits" in the learning phase.. whenever i train somebody i give them protection and we go slow but i tell them dont use your arms, put em in your pockets and force yourself to use your core and legs.. usually they opt to have their hands out after the first time because they probably arent as crazy as me and like most people would like to have them at the ready in case, but at least they have learned not to rely on them to aid in balancing.. hands are for holding food and drink when youre riding xD

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rywokast said:

whenever i train somebody i give them protection and we go slow but i tell them dont use your arms, put em in your pockets and force yourself to use your core and legs

I don't like that method. Always use all help you can, you'll learn handless riding in a 1000km anyway.

It's like all those silly "Learn to type on keyboard without looking" courses. Just keep looking at the keyboard, and one day you'll realize that you don't look at it anymore. :)

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Rywokast said:

i forced myself from day 1 to put my hands in my pockets and keep them there... i wanted to avoid the flailing arms balance method and develop my core and leg muscles and instincts the best i could.. after a little bit i got so used to it that now it just feels really weird to not have them in my pockets and i dont ever take them out unless i have to.. its also pretty comfortable to have crossed arms, and is good for when its cold, plus you wont lose any possible reaction time

interesting approach, I sometimes use touching hands as a technique to suppress flailing arms, but that's not at all perfectly comfortable for a longer time. I will check out crossing arms :)

Who would have thought that arm positioning becomes such a difficult question to answer.

• Like 1