KS16X latest v1.07 firmware was released

Chronic

3 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Holy crap. What was your battery percentage at?

I was at 85% thank God! I learned from my last pot hole attack and instinctively crouched while leaning backward to slow everything down. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I was at 85% thank God! I learned from my last pot hole attack and instinctively crouched while leaning backward to slow everything down. 

How fast were you going? That’s never happened to me. That’s scary stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I appreciate your response but I haven’t experienced anything of what you’re talking about with mine. 

Yes, I understand that most people haven't experienced anything like this, and I'm glad! It's pretty scary. I don't know why it is only happening to a very small handful of wheels. Could be some components/portions of layout on the board are juuuust enough out of spec or something on only a few boards. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

I am not convinced that doing that ankle flick move world in the same way as hitting a bump. I do think that tigers a different spike curve of power needs combined with a different readout of balance sensors. 

If you look at what happen going over a bump/root/Rock compared to the ankle flick (true high speed video recording), I think you will see the wheel behave differently. 

But then again I don't build EUCs for a living. 

I don't think they would yield the same input into the system, nor require quite the same output from the wheel, I agree. However, you do need more power to keep you up in the case of a large bump (caused of course, by the wheel lagging behind the body of the unicycle/one's own body when the wheel snags on the bump, or when a sudden drop causes one's weight to shift forward hard and suddenly), and believe me, when you feel how limp the wheel gets from the ankle flicks, it is not confidence inspiring that the wheel would have enough power to keep you up after a bad bump in the road.
All said, I am looking forward to folks' feedback on the new boards. Fingers crossed it resolves this issue for those of us that have it! I would love to be able to ride 25mph+ on my 16X with the confidence I have on my Nikola+.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

How fast were you going? That’s never happened to me. That’s scary stuff.

:confused1: I rarely track my speed. If my wife ever saw this clip.... now that would be scary stuff!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

I am not convinced that doing that ankle flick move world in the same way as hitting a bump. I do think that tigers a different spike curve of power needs combined with a different readout of balance sensors.

Possibly, then again it seems possibly not different enough. Chris reported a severe pedal dip when riding to an incline that begun abruptly. No ankle flick involved. He also crashed when doing the sudden flick at around 25mph, when he had already been doing the ankle flick numerous times before and should’ve had a decent grasp on how much force to apply for the flick.

KS said themselves that five faceplants were the reason for the new speed curves in fw 1.06. To me five faceplants in a short perioid of time on a new top of the line 2200Wh KingSong wheel doesn’t sound probable for strictly a user error.

I know I couldn’t trust a wheel that despite having the most powerful motor in the market and being abundant with overpower and other warnings, can this easily be overleaned at speed. User error or not.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

Tried the link but it doesn't seem to work. A brief summary perhaps?

It is a closed KingSong group, you must to be a member.

Seems like some users have this problem:

KS-16X FW 1.7 was fully charged about 8 hours ago, unplugged the charger, wheel was off then it beeped 4 times a couple hours later when it was still off. Now if I open the app it connects to the wheel while off, that shouldn't be possible if the KS-16X is off. I also notice that the battery is now down to 95%😦 This is not good Micheal Shen I am also disappointed that I can not utilize the dual charging ports due to the wheel constantly beeping when I do

@Garrie Lim have the same issue and he can explain better.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I think the issue was that the 16X stays powered on after charging, and has to be power cycled to turn off completely.

That’s right. But I think only if you use more than a 1.5 amp charger

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

That’s right. But I think only if you use more than a 1.5 amp charger

Really? I know that exceeding 5A results in beeps every minute or so for the length of the charge, but I hadn’t read the charge speed affecting whether the wheel stays powered on after the charger is removed. What a random list of issues on the 16X!

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Really? I know that exceeding 5A results in beeps every minute or so for the length of the charge, but I hadn’t read the charge speed affecting whether the wheel stays powered on after the charger is removed. What a random list of issues on the 16X!

Just out of curiosity, forgive me for not knowing this, but do you own a 16 X?

13 hours ago, ElectriQ User said:

It is a closed KingSong group, you must to be a member.

Seems like some users have this problem:

@Garrie Lim have the same issue and he can explain better.

I don't have that issue but I DO have random loud beeping WHILE charging which is super 'no-bueno' because I charge it at work in the break room and now my boss is starting to threaten me about it.  She's scared it's going to blow up or something, lol.  Thankfully, I just discovered this morning that by using the original charger that came with the wheel it hasn't beeped yet.  It was happening with the fast-charger that was sent to me later.

UPDATE:  Wow, only a few hours later, THIS from Jason:

(Fire). What is being done & recommendation
This charger is being sent to an independent laboratory for analysis, I am also coordinating for the King Song 16X battery to be sent in the laboratory for over-voltage testing.

Until we receive the lab results back & have a complete understanding of exactly what went wrong, it is strongly recommended not to continue using the rapid-charger.

WARNING: if you do continue using the rapid-charger, please double-check that the voltage readout displays ~84v before plugging into the Wheel & keep an eye on the charging progress.

For context, the charger supplier, JaiRui, has produced hundreds-of-thousands of chargers, we have seen many cases of the charger failing in a multitude of ways, but invariably it has been in a harmless under-voltage state. This is the first & only such case of an over-voltage condition, but considering the extreme severity & intensity of a battery fire, other chargers from this production batch may also be effected. 

We will continue to update you as more information becomes available.
Edited by CampDylan

On 10/4/2019 at 12:47 PM, prasket said:

What happens without the bluetooth update? 

My neighbor has a batch 2 16x and says this 

——

I’ve noticed that at lower speed, when I make a tight turn, when my wheel get straight again it’s already unbalanced. Sometimes it is too much forward and sometimes it is too much backwards 

—— 

Maybe he should apply the update as he hadn't yet. Thoughts? 

I wanted to add an update to this. Turns out it was a bad controller for my neighbor. Jason sent him a new one and now he says its great.

I also wanted to add that I feel like I am hitting 24 Mph (my tilt back speed) MUCH easier on 1.07 than any prior firmware (I've only had 1.05/1.06) :D

• Like 1

Minor detail about v1.05 flashing red brake lights while charging.  Only if the light sensor doesn't see enough light, hah.  I was trying to figure out why the red lights weren't blinking.  When I closed the garage door, they blinked again.  Mystery solved.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Need help with new ks-16x firmware. My wheel update crashed leaving me at firmware V1.00. I have tried everything to upgrade back to 1.06 or even 1.07 with no success. The unit is now locked up. Does anyone have a file to install via USB?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 8:55 AM, buell47 said:

Yes, if you charge it with more than 5.01A the annoying beep/beep starts. This shit happens since firmware 1.0.7. 

I have send details to Micheal from KS, but maybe it's better more people should complain about this bug or damn feature. 

Charging with 5.10 - 5.16 A (fast charger from 1radwerkstatt, similar to the ewheels charger) 

Alarm sounds at:

1. 00:14

2. 00:47

3. 00:50

4. 01:25

5. 01:32

6. 01:35

7. 01:50

8. 01:52

9. 02:38 - set charging rate to 4A

no alarm sounds at 4A 

10. 04:34 - set charging rate back to 5A - alarm starts again. 

As soon as the CC phase ends and the CV phase begins, the current decreases slowly from about 5.15A. As soon as the current has dropped to 5.00A, the alarm tone is gone. 

If other people have no issues, it's because not all 5A fast chargers are charging with little more than exactly 5A. 

On 10/8/2019 at 8:54 AM, buell47 said:

I don't charge with more then 5A (according to the specs and setting on my charger, but the charger is not 100% calibrated and charging rate is 5.16A. This 0.16A more is already causes the Alarm. 

I have sent already lot of details to Micheal (KS) , so I hope they can understand the problem. 

Update:

Since I have the new Control Board V1.5 I can now charge with 5.19A without the annoying alarm signal. :thumbup:
No idea why the alarm on the old V1.4 board started already at 5.01A.

But much more doesn't seem to work either, because if I use 2 chargers with 2.5A + 3A = 5.5A, it starts beeping as usual.

So the new board had a very good side effect. :D

• Like 2