Broken Pedal

gon2fast

That's very bad news, squashing this tiny little hope that at least InMotion engineers are responsible actors and know what they are doing. How could I have been so gullible.

EDIT: recently mine broke too after 2000 km of usage with 80kg payload.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear this, glad you weren't run over by a bus.

10 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Ironically I inspected the pedals and mounting brackets less than 2 weeks ago and there was no visible damage/stress. 

I'm curious why you felt the need to inspect it. Did you have an incident that made you think the pedals might be damaged? If so, i think your suspicions were well founded.

• Upvote 1

There was no significant event that happened before the crash. As soon as I shifted weight to the left the pedal snapped. I inspect the pedals as part of my general wheel maintenance.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I inspect the pedals as part of my general wheel maintenance.  

Respect!  My routine is.........hell I don't have a routine.  I occasionally rub it down with an oily rag, and check the tire pressure when I feel the rims rubbing on the ground.:D

Are you going down curbs often and what's your weight? I don't think a pedal is supposed to break under (almost) any circumstances, but still just wonder which regular stress this pedal was under...

• Upvote 1

I am a larger rider at 250lbs on average. Because of my larger frame I do not ride off of curbs or attempt to get my wheel(s) airborne. I had nothing out of the ordinary happen prior to the failure. The downside is that I sprained my right foot during the mishap. Posting additional pictures of the pedal.

Image-4.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, gon2fast said:

I do not ride off of curbs or attempt to get my wheel(s) airborne. I had nothing out of the ordinary happen prior to the failure.

That is worrisome and it's quite likely we will see more of those coming. I'll try to be prepared :cry2:

Edited by Mono

So it looks like the only unusual input here is your weight, and possibly a porous cast of that pedal.

Speaking of the pedal, it doesn't seem to have any metal structure on the top surface, only a rubber foot pad.  That doesn't seem like a strong design.  The only structure taking the load is that little block in the middle which has nothing to attach at the top (where it would be strongest)

@Jason McNeil recently mentioned that Inmotion pedals fit Gotway.  By default this works the other way too.  Why don't you get some Gotway pedals? (assuming they are built more solidly than this). You know your other pedal is probably weakened so for peace of mind you are going to need two anyway.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This is one of those fears I have in the back of my head.  Rolling along at 20 or so and the pedal snapping off.  Foot goes down, face plant.  Why do I think about these things?  I’m 210 lb and am normally cautious with the curbs and bumps for the same reason even though I’m a hundred pounds less than the max rated on my wheel.

• Like 1

The KS pedals by design are extremely strong. The rest including GW need to be stronger. The hinge is a poor design. Looking at the pictures the GW pedals are stronger than the InMotion. Do we have any conformation that you can put GW on InMotion? 

12 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

The KS pedals by design are extremely strong. The rest including GW need to be stronger. The hinge is a poor design. Looking at the pictures the GW pedals are stronger than the InMotion. Do we have any conformation that you can put GW on InMotion? 

Yes. @Jason McNeil said it a few days back, and confirmed it two posts up.;)

Edited by Smoother

On 4/6/2019 at 1:11 PM, Mono said:

That's very bad news, squashing this tiny little hope that at least InMotion engineers are responsible actors and know what they are doing. How could I have been so gullible.

:efee612b4b: Couldn't agree more.

"However bad we think it is, it's worse. Whenever we think that's not true this time, it is."

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Why don't you get some Gotway pedals? (assuming they are built more solidly than this)

Oh boy do I have news for you! :efef77eaf5: Also see the above dictum.

-

Pedal breakage is quickly going from a "crazy freak accident" concern to "This might be the thing that gets me!" the longer I think about it. And no way to see it coming (well, at least that applies to board failure as well).

Would it kill the manufacturers to use a little more metal than those tiny tiny tiny laughable "struts" (putting that in quotes intentionally)? Would it kill them to use something that doesn't look like it's made from 50% random sand/dirt?

It's literally just some tiny extra material costs. It's not like the casting molds (or machining if that's how they do it) would get more expensive.

Really glad we have someone like @Jason McNeil that can make the manufacturers fix "secondary" stuff like that, stuff that would never be improved otherwise:efefae4566:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Structurally, that pedal is upside down; all the strength is in the bottom surface, and almost no strength is in place to prevent the top plane (can't call it a surface because there isn't one) from simply peeling away under load.

Like @meepmeepmayer stated, it would have cost almost nothing to make the top of the pedal strong enough for it's intended purpose.  I honestly don't know what these designers are thinking with, because it certainly isn't their heads.  The arrogance audacity and ineptitude to put such a flawed design, in such a safety critical role, into production, is breathtaking.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree, thats a shocking piece of design. Its almost as if they thought that the honeycombe structure would be as strong as an ox but they completely failed to understand in what plane the loads are directed.

Footplates should ideally be CNC milled. Yes I know its expensive but given the potential stresses involved I dont see them as ever being a part which can be scrimped on. Hell, even a cast solid pot metal plate would be better than that honeycombe effort.

Guest PogArt Artur
On 4/6/2019 at 5:20 AM, gon2fast said:

The left pedal on my V10 broke off this evening as I entered traffic. I was crossing a very busy intersection via cross walk and was going slow enough to run out the crash so I was fortunate in that sense. Had this happened riding parallel with a vehicle the outcome may have been very different. Ironically I inspected the pedals and mounting brackets less than 2 weeks ago and there was no visible damage/stress. 

Be careful out there friends.

Image-1.png

So sorry to see it's happened...

Not sure what the inmotion wheels costs, but generally eucs are not cheap.  I would be pissed off to find a pedal design like that after I paid over a grand for it.   Looking at the design there will be more of these incidents happening to the inmotions.   I have only owned king song and ninebot.  I was not really impressed by the ninebot pedals.  I noticed a hairline crack in one of the ninebot one e+ pedals just before I sold it. I was not going to go through with the sale but the person buying it said that they had a dead ninebot that they would use a pedal off of to replace it.  Since then I inspect the pedals about every week or two.  The pedals that come on the 18xl look heavy duty compared to the others I have seen.  Hope they continue to support my fat arse.  

6 hours ago, gon2fast said:

The unit was purchased in 7/18 so it is still under warranty. I have followed the proper channels and requested a new set pedals so we will see what happens next week. My long term plan is to progress onto a KS16X and the updated GW Tesla when the units become available. As far as the V10, I will replace the OEM pedals, hopefully via warranty,  and sell the unit when I upgrade this summer (to a smaller person than me, lol). 

BTW - I pulled the rubber padding off of the pedal and took some additional pictures. Image-6.thumb.png.ad3e39679ebfc48ed8c79a814d450e1c.png

Image-7.thumb.png.81e37a87e138b90ebda0c6da92f74a5f.png

I don't think a top layed on the pedal in metal would matter much. Now I can't see how the facture started. But it is normal for a crack to run once it started.

Tiny crackes have bought down big airplanes. It could be a casting fault or a fatigue. Sometimes a massive matterial is not stronger than a clever stress relief design.

But if @Jason McNeil says only 1 reported incident I tend to lean towards 1 faulty unit rather a design error.

• Like 2