Broken Pedal

gon2fast

On Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:16:50 PM at 12:16 PM, gon2fast said:

Only downside is that they do not fold up. 

I double checked with the team, technically it works but better to have the original v10 pedals.

I received your email, thank you for reaching out.

Take a look at this Ninebot plate, taken off my Z6 but I believe the E is the same.

Note the amount of ribbing coming off the hinge area, specifically it is all running in the correct plane of stress. This looks to be a pretty good design imo. Has there been any reports of NB plates breaking?

Edited by Planemo
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Destru Vk said:

Broken pedal after a fall in offroad. surely the pressure of my leg in the fall was extremely strong. 95kg weight

SAVE_20190516_223307.jpeg

Sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you were not hurt. 

1 hour ago, Joker10 said:

I can’t make out the model of wheel from your pics.  What is it?

Looks like a V10 series pedal. I just pulled out my broken pedal and the damage is almost the same.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Destru Vk said:

It is a v10 pedal. Luckily, I did not break any bones.

Sorry for what happened to you, have you contacted with local distributor for free pedals? We believe its the same batch raw materials, we reported to the supplier.

Sorry again, hope you can enjoy your riding soon again.

As to be expected the pedal failure has not been a single isolated case and there are obviously more to come. It will be interesting to follow how quickly InMotion is able to react and correct the design failure.

On 4/11/2019 at 6:18 AM, gon2fast said:

Image-13.png

I really like the way how you added the red (reflective?) tape around your V10.  I was looking to add some myself, but my idea was to add a broad piece of tape between the speakers up till the scorpion trolley handle.  Your method looks way nicer, so I did the same to my V10. 

Bonus advantage : it looks like I've upgraded to a V10F :)

On 5/20/2019 at 6:01 AM, Kristof Willen said:

Bonus advantage : it looks like I've upgraded to a V10F :)

I had the same thought after I applied the tape. I also have it on both sides of the rim as well (caked in dirt and useless). Looks much better on the G3 rim.

Holy smoke. There is no way in the world I would be trusting these footplates to one more ride. Inmotion needs to issue a recall or at least supply serial numbers of potentially affected plates (if its a material issue rather than a design issue). Theres enough failures now to provide evidence of a fault rather than rider abuse IMO.

Edit: actually is that a V10 plate?

Edited by Planemo

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Holy smoke. There is no way in the world I would be trusting these footplates to one more ride. Inmotion needs to issue a recall

Only that the last shown pedal was not made by InMotion, AFAICS, so I could not blame them if they wouldn't do a recall on this one.

2 hours ago, Andrii said:

Just got my pedal cracked recently. I was lucky enough to notice it before it fell off.

That's the good news, cracks seem to appear and grow, so it is possible to catch them before the pedal falls off. Is this a Tesla pedal? What's your weight, if you don't mind telling us?

Edited by Mono

2 hours ago, Mono said:

Only that the last shown pedal was not made by InMotion, AFAICS, so I could not blame them if they wouldn't do a recall on this one.

I did edit my post about 30secs after posting questioning whether it was indeed a V10 plate.

In any event I still have reservations about the V10 plates. They just shouldnt break. Over engineered being the key for an item like this. Make it twice as heavy if needed. Or maybe we should be inspecting our axles and anything else that bears weight as well, on the basis that it 'might' break.

I have never broken a pedal axle or wheel axle in 35 years or cycling, and that includes downhill punishment at Morzine.

(Of course I am not saying that either cant break, just that it would need serious abuse to do so or be an inferior part to start with).

On 4/15/2019 at 3:02 AM, Planemo said:

Note the amount of ribbing coming off the hinge area, specifically it is all running in the correct plane of stress. This looks to be a pretty good design imo. 

When a Ninebot One E+ (or any other EUC) goes tumbling in a crash or walkoff the stresses applied to the pedals as they hit the pavement no longer correspond to what looks like good design for plane of stress distribution. The pedal edges can get hammered from both in and out of plane impacts stressing the points of attachment.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

Totally agree. That said, it wouldnt be too hard to stress test a footplate in a rig. In fact I would expect all the big players to have done so. I wonder what the results were on a V10, and over how many cycles.

If they wont/dont/cant afford to do that then at the very least they should be over-engineering them to be pretty sure. Simply from a material and design appearance, the V10 plates dont look strong enough to me. By over-engineer, and taking it to extremes, I very much doubt a 6082 alloy billet plate would ever snap. Hell, even a cast chinese pot-metal plate would be better as long as it was solid. Weight nor cost should be an issue here, I would just want something that would never, ever fail unless maybe the wheel took a tumble.

• Like 1

WTF?????   I’m 260 pounds and 6’3” tall naked. I bought this wheel because it was advertised as the max weight of 120 kg. I have never fallen off my V10F nor has it ever been dropped on the side. Not a scratch on it except from my shoes. I am now freaking disturbed at this revelation. If I fall and injure myself because of a pedal failure from just riding it, you better be fucking insured because you will be sued for negligence in the engineering design of this pedal. 

Harold Farrenkopf, P. Eng.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:15 AM, Harold Farrenkopf said:

you better be fucking insured because you will be sued for negligence in the engineering design of this pedal. 

Good luck with that.  Is inmotion a US or Chinese company? 

260lbs!  be afraid, be very afraid.

You sound like me when I learned my KS14C was prone to cracked axles.  Babied it as much as possible....axle still cracked. :angry: and I'm only 171lbs

• Upvote 1

I am worried. 

They advertised it as a wheel engineered from the ground up.  Static load of 120kg (264 pounds) on the pedals needs to be designed at least 3 times total load on each pedal. No way that pedal will achieve that load especially if applied near any outside edge. 

2AEF1A13-9D6E-4B93-B3D8-9358A1973018.png

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

No way that pedal will achieve that load especially if applied near any outside edge

110% in agreement. Saw it coming with the wish for even larger pedals...

Going to titanium, may be ?

Underinflated tires can aggravate even further everything. Hit the rim and a crack will surely develop.

Edited by pico
e

On 4/7/2019 at 1:43 PM, Smoother said:

So it looks like the only unusual input here is your weight, and possibly a porous cast of that pedal.

Speaking of the pedal, it doesn't seem to have any metal structure on the top surface, only a rubber foot pad.  That doesn't seem like a strong design.  The only structure taking the load is that little block in the middle which has nothing to attach at the top (where it would be strongest)

@Jason McNeil recently mentioned that Inmotion pedals fit Gotway.  By default this works the other way too.  Why don't you get some Gotway pedals? (assuming they are built more solidly than this). You know your other pedal is probably weakened so for peace of mind you are going to need two anyway.

I posted this on page one.  Have you considered a pair of Gotway pedals?  Although breakages have been reported there too, but none recently that I'm aware of.