Broken Pedal

gon2fast

On 8/8/2019 at 12:19 AM, Harold Farrenkopf said:

Not correct. You can’t assume the rider is a solid mass with no absorption of the impact. Knees could also have been bent too. 

Did both pedals break?

only the right pedal broke, left one had lots of cracks but it didn't break.

i replaced them with the msuperx pedals and i like them, they will need to get filed a bit to fit and fold.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 6:17 AM, gon2fast said:

Image-5.png

From the looks of the damage and in my considered opinion I am no crack expert 😂 but it would appear you must have suffered two small cracks to the thickness of the pedal slowly corded inside and inevitable split from any jump.... The structural regididity are in the veins of the pedal the square sections ..... It's definitely clear you have been jumping or at least left foot off the pedal and pressed into the pedal afterwards..... I think the crack happened at the front and then simply cracked away thereafter.... 

• 6 months later...

I just wanted to add that I noticed cracks on one of my pedals while adding air to my tire. Thankfully, it wasn't on the other side because I wouldn't have seen it. Only around 150 miles on this wheel but I am around 200 lbs.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

What about aluminium corrosion? If Aluminum is in contact with steel it will corrode. That will make it weaker. The pedals are attached with a metal rod. Proper design always make sure that steel and aluminum don't touch each other.

Normally aluminium doesn't break, first it will bend. Only if you keep bending it can shear/rip off.

What I see here is no bending. Just broken. As if it was brittle already.

I am no expert but I know how old brittle corroded aluminum parts look like. And the pedals sure don't look like healthy aluminum.

If this is the case then we will here many more cases about this as the years progress. On my V8f the pedals are coated, so it's hard to estimate the condition.

On my 2013 Airhweel X3 the pedals are not painted. They are very strong, thick and look as a good alloy.

I think the design of pedals should be different. A very reliable metal at the hinge point and surroundings. Then it should be more softer to the edges, maybe with a different material. Now if one crashes the 'crumple' zone of the pedals would dampen the impact. They there will be less forces sent to the critical parts. That also saves stress on the axle.

Edited by tst