Broken Pedal

gon2fast

2 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Another V10F pedal starting to crack here. Not broken yet, but soon will be. 

5B76B13C-C189-45D4-881F-F45C94DAE4B4.jpeg

Nice, somewhat good news: it is easily visible by a very quick inspection before it actually breaks, at least in some cases! And very similar to this one:

Edited by Mono

40 minutes ago, Mono said:

Nice, somewhat good news: it is easily visible by a very quick inspection before it actually breaks, at least in some cases! And very similar to this one:

You have to know to look for it. INMOTION needs to put out an alert. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

You have to know to look for it. INMOTION needs to put out an alert. 

Good luck with seeing that happen.

It would be tantamount to admitting that there's a problem. A bit like Ford suggesting that owners should check their seatbelt mounting brackets as there have been reports of some of them cracking.

• Like 1

Recalls happen all the time. InMotion already did a similar recall regarding the battery waterproofing issue. I don't see what's different in this case.

If anything this is an easier one as they can just ship replacement pedals which almost anyone can easily swap out themselves, versus having to send the wheel in for service/repair.

The question is who do we talk to/how do we organize this bundle of examples into a cohesive push to rectify the situation.

Honestly I'm not even up in arms, I just want the problem acknowledged and a resolution put in place and it would reaffirm my confidence in the company/product.

Edited by AtlasP

9 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

Recalls happen all the time. InMotion already did a similar recall regarding the battery waterproofing issue. I don't see what's different in this case.

Theres nothing different, and I totally agree with the above. It's just that theres been no recall as of yet. Off the back of that, I accept that Inmotion can only do something about it if they are aware, but seriously? Surely someone, somewhere at HQ must have heard about this?

I'm not quite up in arms but the reason this situation has put me off Inmotion is because IMO that plate should never have been fitted in the first place. It's woefully inadequate. I guess some people are more lax with regards to parts that could quite easily cause serious injury when they fail. Maybe they wouldn't be if they lost their teeth before seeing the cracks.

• Like 1

I just spent $99 on the gotway msx pedals. Just picked them up from my mailbox and there is a real difference in weight and substance. I’m not risking my body parts on those INMOTION “engineered from the ground up” pedals. Maybe they should have designed it from the top down and then they would have put the ribs on the bottom. 

I made my thoughts on the engineering to INMOTION USA already. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

“engineered from the ground up” pedals. Maybe they should have designed it from the top down and then they would have put the ribs on the bottom. 

:roflmao:Brilliant!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gon2fast said:

I would suggest pulling the rubber insert off and inspecting before each ride. I must disclose that I no longer ride the large pedals anymore. 

The good thing is that in the above two cases one doesn't need to pull the rubber, just checking the integrity of the inner metal border suffices.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

The rubber is easy to pull off. It is just sitting in the cast. 

I assume it's easier to pull off than to stick back B) am I wrong?

1 hour ago, Mono said:

I assume it's easier to pull off than to stick back B) am I wrong?

It is just sitting in the casting by a slight bit of friction. Just grab it near the hinge and pull it up. There is no glue or sticker type attachment. No harm happens when removed. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/2/2019 at 4:37 PM, Harold Farrenkopf said:

It is just sitting in the casting by a slight bit of friction. Just grab it near the hinge and pull it up. There is no glue or sticker type attachment. No harm happens when removed. 

sorry for my inapt language, I understood that it is easy to take off. I was wondering how much more difficult it is to put back into its original position on the pedal.

Edited by Mono

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

mine broke today, same height and weight as you but they broke while i want really looking at how deep is the curb i was landing from (almost 3 times your normal curb) and unlucky me landed on the 1 hole in the whole road (almost 6 inches deep so that is around 25 inches total landing) luckily i wasn't going fast to fall off (5 miles an hour?)

any way now i am looking at replacements, dont know if the msuper one fits (even if requires some work to fit i dont mind) because replacements are no where to be found in the UK.

i am printing a replacement and will probably stiffen it up with metal rods and 90 degree hinge and see how it goes.

46 minutes ago, Aba Hanad said:

mine broke today, same height and weight as you but they broke while i want really looking at how deep is the curb i was landing from (almost 3 times your normal curb) and unlucky me landed on the 1 hole in the whole road (almost 6 inches deep so that is around 25 inches total landing) luckily i wasn't going fast to fall off (5 miles an hour?)

any way now i am looking at replacements, dont know if the msuper one fits (even if requires some work to fit i dont mind) because replacements are no where to be found in the UK.

i am printing a replacement and will probably stiffen it up with metal rods and 90 degree hinge and see how it goes.

Nikola pedals would be about the same size as V10. MSX pedals will be smaller. 
Inmotion has just come out with new and improved pedals. You might ask them if they are already shipping them. Could be within warranty also. 

9F63D046-8620-4855-A962-00D774B452D0.jpeg

On 8/5/2019 at 10:14 AM, Aba Hanad said:

Wow 25 inches!   If we assume the tire was only capable of compressing an inch, then using the equation F = mgh/d, we can see that F = (120kg) * (9.81m/s^2) * (0.635m) / (0.0254m) = 29400 Newtons!  Which means the wheel was suddenly having to sustain 3000 kg of mass (each pedal 1500 kg).

I don't think any pedal would be able to sustain a momentary impact like that.  This is waking me up to the dangers of curb riding.  I think I'll try to stay flat on the ground..

@Harold Farrenkopf is correct below; can't assume a fully rigid body.

Edited by leadfeathers

7 minutes ago, leadfeathers said:

Wow 25 inches!   If we assume the tire was only capable of compressing an inch, then using the equation F = mgh/d, we can see that F = (120kg) * (9.81m/s^2) * (0.635m) / (0.0254m) = 29400 Newtons!  Which means the wheel was suddenly having to sustain 3000 kg of mass (each pedal 1500 kg).

I don't think any pedal would be able to sustain a momentary impact like that.  This is waking me up to the dangers of curb riding.  I think I'll try to stay flat on the ground..

yup that is a lot of force to take on pedals that people dont think are so great.

i am not putting blame anywhere except on myself for not paying attention, the scenery was great thou and i enjoyed it more walking by my now broken wheel XD.

thankfully there is no damage elsewhere to the wheel, checked the rim and all looks fine.

46 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Nikola pedals would be about the same size as V10. MSX pedals will be smaller. 
Inmotion has just come out with new and improved pedals. You might ask them if they are already shipping them. Could be within warranty also. 

9F63D046-8620-4855-A962-00D774B452D0.jpeg

if the msx pedals fit i dont mind the size difference if it means i could get my wheel running asap.

i am designing and printing a prototype currently for a much larger pedal that would take a beating , will need to finish prototyping on a 3d printer first before ordering the part made of aluminium.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 2:37 PM, leadfeathers said:

Not correct. You can’t assume the rider is a solid mass with no absorption of the impact. Knees could also have been bent too. 

Did both pedals break?