THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

There doesn't seem to be much widespread, sustained, strong resistance by governments anywhere.

I have friends in Germany who tell me police would have wheels off them the very first time they were seen...

Over here the resistance isn't so much from heavy enforcement (yet), although the framework is all there, ready for them to 'go heavy' anytime they like, but rather comes more from bureaucrats' at the moment - any time one of us contacts an official or council member, or regulatory body, or seeks insurance we are just told flat out 'no', which certainly feels pretty like a wall of resistance the 15th time you hear it...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1

This might be the video that caused Inmotion, to instruct distributors to not send a V13, for review by Chooch.

INMOTION V12 HT CRASH: Full Speed Electric Unicycle Wipeout (Wear Your Gear) Leatt Dual Axis Test

22.8K subscribers

Apr 12, 2022

Edited by Paul A
  • Like 1

I hadn’t seen the vid in question. I can kind of see why Inmotion peeps noses might be out of joint with their “volunteer” wheel rep.

That said, the comments on his dirty laundry vid are overwhelmingly supportive of “ the Chooch”.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

ready for them to 'go heavy' anytime they like

News article from Devon, 2019, regarding a female pensioner in her 90s, hit by an EUC.

The attitudes of police does seem to be, the laws are there, but they will not enforce unless the behaviour is dangerous or anti-social.

At the discretion of the police.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/elderly-woman-seriously-injured-after-2880229

17 MAY 2019

Elderly woman seriously injured after being knocked over by electric unicycle

A man lost control of the electric unicycle before colliding with the pensioner.

An elderly woman is in hospital with serious injuries after being struck by an electric unicycle.

The incident happened last Saturday, (May 11), at around 3pm, where a man reportedly lost control of the unicycle before it collided with a pedestrian, who is believed to be in her 90s.

Police are investigating the collision, and also what laws may have been broken with the the electric unicycle.

Surrey's Roads Policing Unit tweeted: "Illegal use of these devices could result in a prosecution for the rider and/or owner for numerous offences and the vehicle could be seized and disposed of."

In practice, the police said they would use discretion in applying this law.

"But where we see such things being used dangerously or in an anti social way we will take them away," they tweeted.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I have friends in Germany who tell me police would have wheels off them the very first time they were seen...

Over here the resistance isn't so much from heavy enforcement (yet), although the framework is all there, ready for them to 'go heavy' anytime they like, but rather comes more from bureaucrats' at the moment - any time one of us contacts an official or council member, or regulatory body, or seeks insurance we are just told flat out 'no', which certainly feels pretty like a wall of resistance the 15th time you hear it...

I have never thought about insurancing an EUC. Mostly because of no need.:D

(But i get for some countries it's legal means..)

Edited by Funky

2 hours ago, Funky said:

have never thought about insurancing an EUC. Mostly because of no need.:D

Oh there's loads of good reasons for EUC insurance, not least legitimacy on public roads. PLI in case you are unlucky enough to injure or kill someone else, and personal insurance on the wheel itself so you can replace or fix it in a crash without having to find another x grand. I'd be all over that if it was available, which it isn't.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul A said:

"But where we see such things being used dangerously or in an anti social way we will take them away," they tweeted.

Surrey is the next county along the road from me. I am encouraged that they do seem to be factoring behaviour into the equation, and that apparently my compelling instinct to try and do our thing safely might count for something after all... 

But this is still not good enough. In the current state of things, any accident at all, whether it is the fault of the rider or not is likely to end up with punishment for that rider because his vehicle is technically deemed illegal. And there is no legal protection for us at all from people that might for example try and push us off our wheels, send or allow their dangerous dogs after us, assault us etc etc. This does piss me off a bit - I pay my road tax and council tax, both at vast expense, and I expect to be able to legally and safely use the roads and community cycleways I am contributing towards ! And why can cyclists freely use all the roads we want to without having to wear helmets OR pay road tax ?! This makes no sense.

Edited by Cerbera

6 hours ago, Paul A said:

News article from Devon, 2019, regarding a female pensioner in her 90s, hit by an EUC.

The attitudes of police does seem to be, the laws are there, but they will not enforce unless the behaviour is dangerous or anti-social.

At the discretion of the police.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/elderly-woman-seriously-injured-after-2880229

17 MAY 2019

Elderly woman seriously injured after being knocked over by electric unicycle

A man lost control of the electric unicycle before colliding with the pensioner.

An elderly woman is in hospital with serious injuries after being struck by an electric unicycle.

The incident happened last Saturday, (May 11), at around 3pm, where a man reportedly lost control of the unicycle before it collided with a pedestrian, who is believed to be in her 90s.

Police are investigating the collision, and also what laws may have been broken with the the electric unicycle.

Surrey's Roads Policing Unit tweeted: "Illegal use of these devices could result in a prosecution for the rider and/or owner for numerous offences and the vehicle could be seized and disposed of."

Is it Devon, or Surrey, or both? Seems that the incident may have taken place a bit further West than Surrey, but maybe the Surrey police’s IT guy couldn’t resist a chime?

3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Oh there's loads of good reasons for EUC insurance, not least legitimacy on public roads. PLI in case you are unlucky enough to injure or kill someone else, and personal insurance on the wheel itself so you can replace or fix it in a crash without having to find another x grand. I'd be all over that if it was available, which it isn't.

I just looked up (some of ours insurances.) and it seems in my country i would be "possible". :D (You know little bit of talking left/right kind of a thing..) Gray area of a deal..

Still i won't get it. Never had anything in my lifetime insured.

Yeah i don't see myself killing anyone with my type of riding.. Same for crashing - maybe once/twice a year. Simply don't crash. How hard is that? If you go fast enough and keep risking, riding the beeps, going off-road at fast speeds.. So on - ofc you will crash no need to guess there.

I myself ride the way so i won't crash. (Aside of the days, when i wanna feel more lively and go off-road.. Then you can aspect a crash.) But if you ride carefully enough, it can be done without crashing. Whole year i only once crashed, because of loose sand.

But yeah, i see you're viewpoint. If i lived in very busy city, with a lot of people around. Riding high enough speed that you "may" lose control of EUC, then yeah - i also would think about getting insurance. Luckily i don't ride those monster EUC's. :D Going F1 speeds..

Edited by Funky

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

But this is still not good enough. In the current state of things, any accident at all, whether it is the fault of the rider or not is likely to end up with punishment for that rider because his vehicle is technically deemed illegal.

Deemed illegal, by who? Who gave the deemer - the power to deem things over other people? I thought every person has a freedom. And if one is doing something against that person freedom, isn't it also punishable? 

Any dump rule/law can be ignored. If tomorrow some dipshit in power made tax for having kids, or breathing oxygen. Would you follow it? There are already so many dumb laws made.. And "we" are following them like sheeps.

And there is no legal protection for us at all from people that might for example try and push us off our wheels, send or allow their dangerous dogs after us, assault us etc etc.

Even crackhead hobo has the power to do something. Because assault is a assault. Luckily nowadays there are many zombies around with their face glued to LCD screens. And if something is happening - most will record it. How neat is that eh? You got so many videos made just for you to sue someone. It doesn't matter if you are breaking the law, by doing something completely else. Both parties in the accident will get what is coming to them. (If justice system still somewhat works..)

This does piss me off a bit - I pay my road tax and council tax, both at vast expense, and I expect to be able to legally and safely use the roads and community cycleways I am contributing towards ! And why can cyclists freely use all the roads we want to without having to wear helmets OR pay road tax ?! This makes no sense.

Welcome to real world buddy. I hope you are enjoying your stay. Muahahaha like you have any other choice.. 

World is corrupt. It's you vs the world. Everyone is exploiting each other.

Any law/rule can be twisted all around. You just need to find the right loophole, right story, right narrative. Even murderers can go free. Nice world we are living in.:innocent1:

Sorry - my negative mindset is again showing. :D 

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Forwardnbak said:

652°... that's HOT. I forget that it's summer down under, as I look at day after day of gray-just-barely-above-freezing featuring drizzle mixed with snow. And cloud. or fog. roads a mixture of 4" of slush, or 4" tall ice clods still frozen to the pavement.

Glad you're having fun at least! I enjoyed the video, it was a nice break. And best of luck with your forthcoming vehicle, the early reports are shaping up nicely!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

Glad you're having fun at least! I enjoyed the video, it was a nice break. And best of luck with your forthcoming vehicle, the early reports are shaping up nicely!

Always fun down under :) at least it’s not 666 degrees hot. That would be a different kind of down under.

EUC is my funtime. 

(how do you do even do a celsius symbol on IOS?)

V13 looks great! I’ll be super happy to upgrade the V11, it has been a solid work horse & needs a rest. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 8:18 AM, Paul A said:

This might be the video that caused Inmotion, to instruct distributors to not send a V13, for review by Chooch.

INMOTION V12 HT CRASH: Full Speed Electric Unicycle Wipeout (Wear Your Gear) Leatt Dual Axis Test

22.8K subscribers

Apr 12, 2022

Start vid at 0:59, pause at 1:00.  You can see the wheel pedal-dipped out.  Like chooch visibly did manage to absorb the shock of the bump he impacted and stay on the wheel but the pedal dip turned into 40degree slanting yet more before chooch went into survival mode. 

That's a wheel cutout!  

And with KS speed limiting wheels 15 mph discounted the capabilities of the batteries, it appears a mix of firmware or may include missed beats from a hall sensor at critical timing.  Bottom line, the wheel could not handle near full speed terrain.  As for on-road terrain, potholes can be bigger than what chooch hit.  Refusing to sell him a V13? Who wants a V13 after all that lack of acknowledgement and foul response?

• Like 2