THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

I left them a shitty comment on the video, but due to the total absence of any other negative comments I guess they are removing those...

I do feel we should do something, but specifically reporting the video / people in it to relevant authorities feels a bit like shooting ourselves in the foot, and old men are foolish if they forget what it was to be young, reckless and silly. It might be more effective for their peers to try and shame them into choosing their locations better !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

So…do nothing unless someone gets hurt ?

Quite honestly , i don't think people like that would even stop so a chase would ensue and it would endanger others more i would assume is the mindset. Not sure how you would even "catch" someone on an EUC in NY if they decided not to stop.

Took the S22 out after a break in this year's California Bomb Cyclone dubbed "The Pineapple Express" to see how it handled the wet and slippery roads.

It was New Year's Day 2023 and my local area received so much rain that the local Reservoir just up stream from my place overfilled onto the spillway. Figured it was a good opportunity to take a ride out to the Dam and see how the Shinko 241 performs on wet and muddy surfaces.

This is not a review but will have one once the weather is better and can get more footage of various terrain.

Enjoy! 😁

Edited by 5Cauac
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, EMA said:

Thanks for sharing, seems like you are flying on that thing. I don't know if it's the camera or the view but it looks like you are doing 35-40 on some parts which looks awesome but if i did that around here on the same path as pedestrians , people would be pissed. I guess they don't really mind there? or it looks faster than it is?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Thanks for sharing, seems like you are flying on that thing. I don't know if it's the camera or the view but it looks like you are doing 35-40 on some parts which looks awesome but if i did that around here on the same path as pedestrians , people would be pissed. I guess they don't really mind there? or it looks faster than it is?

usually 45 and sometimes 50 on the open parts, not a problem if you slow down on blind corners and anytime when needed ;)

• Like 1

The public will not tolerate speeding anything on pedestrian or bicycle pathways, especially at 50+ mph speeds when they are occupied.

I would think many would consider that as reckless endangerment.

Would that stretch be empty at dawn or some other time? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

People need to scout out quiet roads, maybe in industrial areas in the weekend?  However you look at it, the sight of pedestrians/dogs/cyclists/children/etc close to where someone is ripping along at 75+kph is not a good thing, things could go so badly wrong.  Maybe someone has done this sort of high-speed riding a hundred times without incident, but what if just 1 time in the next hundred something goes wrong?

I'd like the influencers to realise that it wasn't a good idea and to not post the video and to find a better place and re-record the speed run with no innocent bystanders in danger - then post that video instead.  It is bad enough riding that fast near others, but it is worse to post it and maybe encourage others to take silly risks.

Plus, collision aside, it's just impolite to terrorism pedestrians like that, going so fast. It's flat out passive-aggressive and 3rd World.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Think You Can Ride Backwards?

9.54K subscribers

Sep 16, 2022

either Tarzan has forgotten Jane, or it's not fast enough to cool his ass anyway.   As said before, I can do the same, but prefer to ride with my face in the direction to which I have a clear and unobstructed view. In the long run, it is healthier for me and my fellow road users.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robse said:

that poor RS19 😉, lot of beating , and looks like it's still alive 😁

Amazingly it just keeps standing up to incredible amounts of punishment, I love it. I really doubt I'd have this kind of success in sheer refusal to quit on me without any maintenance with few, possibly any, other wheels.

A week back I blasted it into a bolder cluster which popped out my already non-functioning tail-light and the hit just sounded horrible launching the rocks into the trail. Then just the other day it took another tumble in the desert chunk and ended up ripping the wires off and ejecting the damn thing. Now the light cavity is duct-taped closed hahaha.

As long as it keeps on functioning, I'm just going to keep riding it hard!

On 1/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, Vanturion said:

No pain, no gain :D

Some questions :D Are you losing balance pretty easy? Or are the pedals catching the ground? What speeds where you going?

I don't get why one would fall so many times.. Even my first off-road attempt i didn't fall once. And where riding somewhat same dirt/gravel trails. I could tell the height of which my pedals could glide over things. By leaning left/right i would dramatically decrease pedal height.

Maybe try bending more knees? Especially if you see a ground indent, or and tree root incoming. I normally bend my knees even more before hitting the root - i jump upwards the moment wheel hits the root. Wheel simply jumps itself upwards following my motion. Same idea as going over curb..

And i mostly ride 95% pavement. Once in while i try to go off-road with my 18xl (Which isn't an off-road wheel.) :D  I'm in no way a pro.. I'm still a newbie if someone asked. But jeez, so many falls. Hurts to watch. But great for not giving up. :)

Gota love tree hugs - i know that feeling. :thumbup::D

DUCK i didn't read the title of VIDEO lol...

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lols - yeah hopefully there were hundreds of miles between those crashes ! A lot of them seemed to happen when we stopped carefully choosing our paths, and instead went for the 'I am going at THIS speed, on THIS path, and and we'll deal with whatever comes up when we get to it !' approach, which is much more fun and exciting, as the video attests :) The real joy of that video of course, and the greater lesson we should all take away is that if we have enough gear on we can fall as many times as we like and still have a right old laugh about it, get back on, and keep rollin' !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Funky said:

Are you losing balance pretty easy? Or are the pedals catching the ground? What speeds where you going?

They're mostly, if not all, the result of pedal clips. As for why they're happening, it's a bunch of factors. Inexperience with different types of terrains, learning how position body weight and to orient the wheel relative to the ground (sloping) and to different obstacles in the trail to not pedal clip, just plain not seeing obstacles or over-confidence, fatigue or inattention at a critical time, and throughout it all, these are all trails I've never been to before traveling with my wheel on a road trip. Most of the speeds were pretty slow so the falls weren't bad at all.

Maybe try bending more knees? Especially if you see a ground indent, or and tree root incoming. I normally bend my knees even more before hitting the root - i jump upwards the moment wheel hits the root. Wheel simply jumps itself upwards following my motion. Same idea as going over curb..

For sure, I'm doing a lot better floating over chunky trail terrain trying not to die at speed these days :).

And i mostly ride 95% pavement. Once in while i try to go off-road with my 18xl (Which isn't an off-road wheel.)

Aggressive trail riding is a completely different animal, although this footage and riding is pretty tame. Was definitely still learning how to do things in the dirt at the time. I've had 3 wrecks on pavement and well over 50 if not significantly more by now I think on the dirt in probably the same amount of mileage to give you an idea of my experience anyway.

Edited by Vanturion

10 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Lols - yeah hopefully there were hundreds of miles between those crashes ! A lot of them seemed to happen when we stopped carefully choosing our paths, and instead went for the 'I am going at THIS speed, on THIS path, and and we'll deal with whatever comes up when we get to it !' approach, which is much more fun and exciting, as the video attests :) The real joy of that vide of course, and the greater lesson we should all take away is that if we have enough gear on we fall as many times as we like and still laugh about it...

Funny enough, I still think I average 1.5 to 2 "off-wheel events" every trail ride, even today! As you say, makes for some good entertaining footage ;).

From my experiences I've found that, as the skill improves, so does the speed and aggression so I still get to have fun falling in the dirt! So yeah, 100% with ya there, the gear makes it so I can get right back up and keep riding, even laughing it off. On the other hand, so does a good level of fitness where you can tumble out of a bad situation without breaking a sweat. Best to have a good measure of both.

• Like 1