THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

13 minutes ago, Vanturion said:

Aggressive trail riding is a completely different animal, although this footage and riding is pretty tame. Was definitely still learning how to do things in the dirt at the time. I've had 3 wrecks on pavement and well over 50 if not significantly more by now I think on the dirt in probably the same amount of mileage to give you an idea of my experience anyway.

Yeah that type of ride sure is tame. I at start though those all falls where in 1 ride.. :D 

Aside from learning stage - where i did a belly flop right at beginning and later while turning in very steep angle i hugged a tree.  - i have fallen only once, because of loose sand. (Funny thing - i knew before, that i will fall that day..) Was going over like beach sand and wheel turned 90 degree.. Was fun flying. I went forwards about ~3 meters. At least that's far i needed to walk back to wheel. :D Luckily it was somewhat soft landing in sand.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vanturion said:

Funny enough, I still think I average 1.5 to 2 "off-wheel events" every trail ride, even today! As you say, makes for some good entertaining footage ;).

Unquestionably true, but the opposite of what I am trying to achieve on mine in the daily rides, in which I want ZERO off-wheel events, and especially zero off-wheel incidents with anyone seeing ! (EUC public relations rule No1: ALWAYS be seen to be in absolute control of your machine !) :) Of course in the daily run I am not on trails (where EUC public relations don't matter so much), not looking for excitement, and I am very much in public view, and standing almost painfully high on my Master - falls from that have slightly more consequence, so speed is heavily moderated, and paths are chosen carefully, despite suspension that can handle almost anything these creaking Hampshire cycleways can throw at them...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

My perfect ride is - no falls at all. And mostly i'm achieving it. Aside from that one loose sand dive. Haven't fallen since, one needs to learn from mistakes. If i see loose sand now - i simply hup off trail and go over grass like a tank. :D:D (You still can see where you are going ofc..)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Unquestionably true, but the opposite of what I am trying to achieve on mine in the daily rides, in which I want ZERO incidents, and especially zero incidents with anyone seeing ! :) Of course in the daily run I am not on trails, not lookig for excitement, and I am very much in public view, and standing almost painfully high on my Master - falls from that have slightly more consequence, so paths are chosen carefully, despite suspension that can handle almost anything...

Fair enough, there's so much variety in the types of riding and use cases as well as in individuals' height/weight/fitness that there is no best one-size fits all wheel out there as we all know.

I keep getting friendly suggestions to switch to a suspension wheel, but honestly, I don't think I will anytime soon. I love maximizing difficulty and the amount of control needed to be forced to pick lines in tolerably choppy trail terrain, and then overcoming those obstacles at speed with a required high degree of effort and agility which is coming out now in a lot of the riding I've been doing lately.

I'm not interested in letting the suspension doing the work, I want to be forced to use great amounts of physical fitness to wring out ridiculous lines through challenging and dynamic terrain, and then feel the power and grip coming right out of that into big swooping corners feeling the direct feedback of the tire, to the pedals, to my feet. So that being the case, I don't really pay much mind to new wheels these days as I've already found what fits me best. Only thing lacking is a spare! But all of that is just my preference and has no bearing on anyone else's choices with this hobby of course.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vanturion said:

Fair enough, there's so much variety in the types of riding and use cases as well as in individuals' height/weight/fitness that there is no best one-size fits all wheel out there as we all know.

I keep getting friendly suggestions to switch to a suspension wheel, but honestly, I don't think I will anytime soon. I love maximizing difficulty and the amount of control needed to be forced to pick lines in tolerably choppy trail terrain, and then overcoming those obstacles at speed with a required high degree of effort and agility which is coming out now in a lot of the riding I've been doing lately.

I'm not interested in letting the suspension doing the work, I want to be forced to use great amounts of physical fitness to wring out ridiculous lines through challenging and dynamic terrain, and then feel the power and grip coming right out of that into big swooping corners feeling the direct feedback of the tire, to the pedals, to my feet. So that being the case, I don't really pay much mind to new wheels these days as I've already found what fits me best. Only thing lacking is a spare! But all of that is just my preference and has no bearing on anyone else's choices with this hobby of course.

Yeah there's a lot to admire in that attitude, and you're right about different wheel for different people / purposes. I have not forgotten the fun of trial riding, which is partially why I still keep my old MS3, for those days when I just wanna go a bit mental in the woods but don't want to risk throwing 4 grands worth and 45 kilos of deadweight down a hillside ! :) I appreciate the extra skill required for no suspension, but I bet you if you try one of the newer off-road suspension wheels you'll find it very tricky to go back - the excitement and skill remains, because now you can go a lot faster, you're a bit higher and pedal clips don't get ya anywhere near so often... what I would really miss is how much my knees and back thank me on a daily basis that I have suspension most of the time ;)

• Like 2

@Vanturion I love your stuff! You've come a very long way in 1 season (although to be fair, you were able to cheat and ride-ride-ride… I am envious).

Pedal strikes... 99% of my unplanned dismounts start with a pedal strike.

I'm working on avoiding pedal strikes by hopping up onto rocks rather than trying to squeeze by. It's a more aggressive move for sure, but at times it seems like the near-standstill-artful-twist-twist-lean-twist-swear move has been doomed to fail more often than not. Jumping up on things is a new skill for me, I have not the mass to really drag the wheel up very far so everything starts with a bonk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

@Vanturion I love your stuff! You've come a very long way in 1 season (although to be fair, you were able to cheat and ride-ride-ride… I am envious).

Thanks Tawpie, that's nice to hear. Haha, you're right on there. It's been a pretty quick evolution going this route!

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

I'm working on avoiding pedal strikes by hopping up onto rocks rather than trying to squeeze by. It's a more aggressive move for sure, but at times it seems like the near-standstill-artful-twist-twist-lean-twist-swear move has been doomed to fail more often than not. Jumping up on things is a new skill for me, I have not the mass to really drag the wheel up very far so everything starts with a bonk.

Same here on the up-and-over technique. Although I prefer to carry speed when I can and twist and rip the wheel back and forth around stuff while moving the body CG in sometimes seemingly ridiculous ways to stay on it, many rock gardens will force the "hand" (wheel) to come to a reasonably slow speed to navigate the challenging terrain. Hopping up and "floating over" rocks or making your own line with a jump are a few techniques I've added to the trail riding arsenal lately.

It's its own additional learning curve building up the muscle memory and reactions to different terrain and obstacles on these dynamic trails. I've experienced nothing else like it, I love it, and I haven't gotten bored yet of trying to constantly improve.

Citroen Oli could be the Future of Electric Unicycles

10.4K subscribers

Jan 9, 2023

https://www.drive.com.au/news/citroen-oli-electric-concept-revealed/

30 September 2022

Citroen Oli electric concept revealed

The quirky French brand’s odd-ball styling has peaked with the Oli – an electric car concept with body panels made from cardboard.

The Citroen Oli’s bonnet, roof and pick-up tub panels are made from recycled cardboard – corrugated in a honeycomb pattern and reinforced with fibreglass, developed by German chemicals company BASF.

According to Citroen, the cardboard-based panels are strong enough for an adult to stand on, despite weighing half as much as equivalent steel panels.

The steel and aluminium wheels are wrapped in bespoke Goodyear Eagle ‘GO’ tyres, made from sustainable and recycled materials.

Goodyear claims the concept tyres are designed to run for 500,000 kilometres before a change is needed – more than 10 times the recommended schedule for most road cars.

inxo3wvj2hcdsxlp3f3c

• Like 1

here's ur ol girl @litewave

i thought the kids would like to see these old antiques we learned on. it is helping me.

no pads to fork with my brain! 

i did have good form for my road. haha, marty was amazed i could do several hundred miles on my half mile road. lots of back and forth.

u know, reviewing my old videos, i wasn't wearing any protection back then, just shoes and my overalls. getting use to wearing all this armor is throwing me off. cause before the armor came, riding was easier this time around, not saying armor isn't good, but never having worn any, makes riding different.

but i'll be hitting higher speeds now. but the 18s i think went 30 mph.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ah, there but for the grace of god go I.... I was going to spend the whole day on the South coast today, way down in Southsea, but then I saw the darkening skies, wind speeds of 40 mph+ and remembered that I can't get away with that sort of shit anymore on a Master, so went back to bed. Nice to see you being as brave as I should have been :)

• Like 1

$1800 Fine for "Driving" mobility aid? (With alco-test WTF)

796 subscribers

Jan 11, 2023

I've been bed ridden for 3 months and only just now have I been able to even use my walking aid (aka EUC).

On what is basically my 2nd ride I'm already being apprehended by a cop.

But stick around to the very end of the video to find out what happens.

The real problem is in a lot of countries the law isn't on our side.  In New Zealand our Prime Minister when first elected (around 5 years ago) claimed that climate change was the biggest issue our generation faced, but this government hasn't really done all that much to reduce carbon emissions.  I'd love to see more support for PEVs.  One thing that annoys me is that a bicycle can legally go 50kph in the city, but an e-scooter isn't supposed to be capable of going any faster than 25kph.  I'd support a speed limit on footpaths & shared paths and if the limit was 25kph, I'd be fine with a restriction of 15kph when passing pedestrians, but only if that limit was also applied to bicycles.  Basically I'd like to see PEVs (e-wheels, e-scooters, e-bikes, ESK8s, One-Wheels, etc) having the same rights as bicycles.  According to the legal BS my e-bike is illegal, my e-scooter is illegal and my EUCs are all illegal. So far I've not been hassled by the five-oh, I guess most of them have better things to do - but I worry that at some point one will notice how fast I'm riding on the road and decide that I shouldn't be doing that.

When I was a lot younger (like 3.5 decades ago) I used to ride a bicycle a lot and I could pass mopeds on the flat.  Now I can't ride at that sort of speed without electric assist, to only let young and fit people ride that fast is just discriminating based on age IMO.

• Upvote 1

It's sad that the nanny-state mentality still dominates Australian and New Zealand culture and politics. I can imagine that these regulations are created and enforced in major dense urban areas like Auckland, Wellington, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne, but do smaller cities and communities really care? 

There has been a silver lining to all the backlash in the US over the past 20 or so years: lawmakers have been reluctant to pass new, or enforce existing, laws at the county or state levels that could have a major negative economic or political impact. Examples would include cracking down on extremely noisy vehicles such as lifted trucks or Harleys, driving aggressively, and even drink driving (DUI). I frequently ride on many paths that have signs that state "no motorized vehicles" and have never been stopped or questioned by authorities. I'm certain that if I were driving a racing quad that would draw some negative attention, however.

As we continue to grow the PEV community, our voices will increasingly be heard. Let's keep riding, recruiting, and strengthening our suppliers so we can start influencing policies for the future.

• Upvote 1

if u built a race track like thru the woods of my interstate frontage, where as kids we raced our dirt bikes, how many years would it take to build up enough riders, like a go kart racing track idea in had a few years ago. and i guess u could have bunny runs for the kid races. i know they do this in  alabama where i bought my ktm. with suspension wheels, are they ready to hit the big time, like top golf? 

naybe in the right demographics u could start them out young, look at euc girl, what interest she could generate. 

i didn't watch any of the races so i plead ignorance. is that what they are doing, like baby supercross one wheel. 

demonstrations, fancy riding, etc.

maybe wheel josting sounds like fun.

getting humans up on the pedals with the ground sliding under them, will hook them instantly, and u can do it instantly with nice long parallel bars where there hands glide over the bars in complete control. kinda like a safety net for high wire trapeze where they have a harnessvon them, but this is way easier.

i said this 5 years ago when they were garbage compared to today's garbage, if u took a bunch to bike week in daytona, or sturgis etc u would sell out. same old men riding harleys modernizing to wheels. hell's angels on wheels. 

i see a pilot or a movie.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

with suspension wheels, are they ready to hit the big time, like top golf?

Only just. There are currently only about 5 nutters I know of who regularly jump these things to what I would call 'photographically interesting' levels. And by that I don't mean the smallish jumps that happen all the time on trail rides, I mean those huge ramps, and multiple seconds of airtime and 60% chance of wipe-out on landing :) I suspect it's odds like that which might stop the majority of us having enough wheels and budget to sacrifice whilst learning to do it ! Personally I am very happy to watch that sort of thing, but feel absolutely no need to be doing it myself :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

Speed restrictions of 25kph for e-scooters might be for safety of the rider, not for safety of others.

Smaller wheels of e-scooters might make them more hazardous.

Bicycles with much larger wheels might be much more stable and safe at 50kph.

Legal acceptance of EUCs may occur stealthily unaided.

There doesn't seem to be much widespread, sustained, strong resistance by governments anywhere.