THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

I love these epic crash vids, apart from the impression they leave outside the hobby.  We learn a lot from these in terms of armour vs injury, on-running wheel behaviour and damage, and what sort of tumbling, impacts and sliding there is, not to mention trying to work out what caused the cut-out...

I think in all but 1 of the above the answer was 'too much speed / not enough headroom'. That guy that got a post in the bollocks needs a better headlight :)

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Paul A said:

First cutout on the Veteran Sherman

AMLnZu9D-MSVyeq7GBtfTtjoI4Kjj5ZV2GpGeEkt
Jun 22, 2020

it looks strange enough... in fact it looks like they have some kind of competition going on: Who dares to drive over the little bump in the road at 15 mph - because it doesn't go any faster anyway... They're cheering him on" come on, a little more speed" ... and then Oh yeah, he should have been wearing the newfangled kevlar bikini safety outfit - but they hadn't been invented yet back in 2020 :P

• Haha 1

In the above bus vs e-wheel rider, it is an old video. It is clear that the rider path was blocked by the van. The bus merely stay in its trajectory. Could the bus driver have saved the rider's life, perhaps. But the blame should be placed on the rider. The rider was playing chicken with the bus and lost. 

It was clear from way back, the van was blocking the rider's path. The rider didn't feel he needed to slow down whatsoever for some reason, and just forged forward. 

Edited by techyiam

30 minutes ago, techyiam said:

In the above bus vs e-wheel rider, it is an old video. It is clear that the rider path was blocked by the van. The bus merely stay in its trajectory. Could the bus driver have saved the rider's life, perhaps. But the blame should be placed on the rider. The rider was playing chicken with the bus and lost. 

It was clear from way back, the van was blocking the rider's path. The rider didn't feel he needed to slow down whatsoever for some reason, and just forged forward. 

Yeah don't play chicken when you're on a motorcycle or even worse, an EUC. You will never win.

• Like 1

Yes, long time members will have seen the video and are aware of the incident.

Newer members might benefit from the tragedy.

Владимир Батуленко, the EUC rider was approximately 43 years old with only 2 weeks experience riding, married for ten years.

6 hours ago, techyiam said:

WTF are you talking about? Follow the white lines and you can see the EUC rider stayed in their lane. The bus drivers turned into his lane cutting him off.

EUC rider path wasn't even blocked. You can see again by following the white lines. EUC rider didn't even go into bus driver lane. The bus driver drove over the line cutting off the EUC rider.

Or am i missing something? EUC rider didn't even cross the lane, while passing the "blocked van". The bus driver simply cut him off.

At best the bus driver didn't see the EUC rider. At worst it was simple malice..

Edited by Funky

9 hours ago, Funky said:

Or am i missing something? EUC rider didn't even cross the lane, while passing the "blocked van". The bus driver simply cut him off.

Playing back at quarter speed, before the row of parked vehicles, the rider was travelling next to the curb, the bus was hugging the right dividing line. The bus was keeping pace with the rider. The rider had to gradually ride out further from the curb because of the parked vehicles, culminating on the dividing line, at the front of the van where the van was sticking out the most. The bus wanted to change lanes immediately after passing the van, and was also on the line at the same spot at the same time, and so they collided.

I believe the rider was aware of the bus presence, and vice versa. It looked to me they were engaged in a game of chicken. 

For myself, in the same situation, there is no way, I would have ridden like that.

Firstly, I don't like to ride next to parked vehicles at those speeds.

Secondly, if a vehicle is keeping pace with me, I would expect suspicious.

Thirdly, I would not have continued my speed with a van sticking out like that.

I have been in a situation where a pedestrian was blocking the cycling path talking to the driver of a parked vehicle. The pedestrian expected me to yield. At the same time time, there were vehicles at speeds in the main lane. I could have squeezed between the moving vehicles and the pedestrian. But I didn't. I saw the situation ahead of time, and I just paced myself such that I can pass the pedestrian when there was a gap in traffic.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

Playing back at quarter speed, before the row of parked vehicles, the rider was travelling next to the curb, the bus was hugging the right dividing line. The bus was keeping pace with the rider. The rider had to gradually ride out further from the curb because of the parked vehicles, culminating on the dividing line, at the front of the van where the van was sticking out the most. The bus wanted to change lanes immediately after passing the van, and was also on the line at the same spot at the same time, and so they collided.

I believe the rider was aware of the bus presence, and vice versa. It looked to me they were engaged in a game of chicken. 

For myself, in the same situation, there is no way, I would have ridden like that.

Firstly, I don't like to ride next to parked vehicles at those speeds.

Secondly, if a vehicle is keeping pace with me, I would expect suspicious.

Thirdly, I would not have continued my speed with a van sticking out like that.

I have been in a situation where a pedestrian was blocking the cycling path talking to the driver of a parked vehicle. The pedestrian expected me to yield. At the same time time, there were vehicles at speeds in the main lane. I could have squeezed between the moving vehicles and the pedestrian. But I didn't. I saw the situation ahead of time, and I just paced myself such that I can pass the pedestrian when there is a gap in traffic.

I all together keep of the streets. No need to ride with cars. :D One thing is to see the vehicle. Another thing is - that you don't see/know what's happening behind you. And i hate that idea..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Impoy47 said:

Who lives in south Australia? It's happening..

Push for electric unicycle's to be made legal in SA

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/tv/story/push-for-electric-unicycles-to-be-made-legal-in-sa/vp-AA16Fyw3?ocid=a2hs

Judging by that misplaced apostrophe (in the story title!)they still haven’t learned; at least it’s not a (pedal)hanging offence, but  (EUC) transportation seems to be the order of the day 😆

Edited by Freeforester

3 hours ago, Funky said:

Another thing is - that you don't see/know what's happening behind you. And i hate that idea..

Very true. But due to riding motorcycles for decades, I automatically scan back, on both sides, and keep tabs of all threats.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Very true. But due to riding motorcycles for decades, I automatically scan back, on both sides, and keep tabs of all threats.

Yeah, if i had a mirror - i would do the same. I only have very small path (~4min ride), where i share road with cars. Luckily it's one of those "front houses" roads. Where cars go very rarely, if ever. (Only the people who live there use that road..) Still i look back over my shoulder time to time.

Aside from that. I need to look out for people only. Luckily Usain Bolt isn't living around here. So i have no worries about pedestrian passing me. :D 

I don't count those roads. Where people/cars/everyone share.. No car will be going over 20km/h there..

Edited by Funky

Just now, Robse said:

oh yes, guess what daddy has to tell mommy when he arrives at home with daughter missing four teeth ... because he stumbled on a branch , and made a little nice faceplant... on top of daughter.  Let the kids try for themselves instead, with proper gear, to teach good manners.

Baby teeth will go anyways.. No problem.

Stop being pussy - you pussy cat. <3 (Your image.)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Funky said:

Baby teeth will go anyways.. No problem.

Stop being pussy - you pussy cat. <3 (Your image.)

I'm not a pussy, just realistic, scars dont go away, and she is just the right age to learn some good manners that last for life 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robse said:

I'm not a pussy, just realistic, scars dont go away, and she is just the right age to learn some good manners that last for life 🙂

But.. But your profile pic is a black pussy cat. :) Yeah scars get somewhat absorbed over time. But big enough - it won't go away. At least dad has that all natural safety gear. Doh crash may be very expensive.. And devastating. :cry2:

1 minute ago, Funky said:

But.. But your profile pic is a black pussy cat. :) Yeah scars get somewhat absorbed over time. But big enough - it won't go away. At least dad has that all natural safety gear. Doh crash may be very expensive.. And devastating. :cry2:

just fyi:  I'ts not a Pussycat - It's a Puddicat ! :D