THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

21 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Mavic lost track of me today. It appears the traffic sign was more interesting @ 59 seconds into the ride..Mavic immediately went into safe hover mode. About 10 seconds later it flew back to my truck embarrassed:crying:

That's a bit alarming. It also almost hit that sign. Strange for a drone that has collision avoidance. 

Edited by SuperSport
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SuperSport said:

That's a little alarming. It also almost hit that sign. A little too close for being collision avoidance capable. 

In my experience you just can't trust DJI flight controllers. Sometimes they are fine, and occasionally they just go nuts. I've had 2 random flyaways / crashes from their controllers, and neither of them were user error. Consequently I changed all my drones to Pixhawk FC's, and haven't had any problems since. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

That's a little alarming. It also almost hit that sign. A little too close for being collision avoidance capable. 

It looked close but the Mavic was actually at 30 feet altitude. It  lost track of me because I passed in front of the sign.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I only wonder if you increase the likelihood of scraping the pedal in a tight turn, which I think the original orientation is designed to prevent.

I will be riding around San Francisco tomorrow, so I will know for sure.  I don't want to catch the pedals more.  I already scrape them occasionally.  But I've noticed that I'm way more comfortable with my feet way forward.  I was going to cut the pedal slots and move them forward, but this did that without cutting.

I'm thinking it may be because I'm not very heavy.  I think heavier people have an easier time getting the wheel to lean forward.  I'm 160 lbs.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

I will be riding around San Francisco tomorrow, so I will know for sure.  I don't want to catch the pedals more.  I already scrape them occasionally.  But I've noticed that I'm way more comfortable with my feet way forward.  I was going to cut the pedal slots and move them forward, but this did that without cutting.

I'm thinking it may be because I'm not very heavy.  I think heavier people have an easier time getting the wheel to lean forward.  I'm 160 lbs.

Have you tried re-calibrating, so 'level' actually has a built-in back-tilt?

4 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

<snip>

I think heavier people have an easier time getting the wheel to lean forward.  I'm 160 lbs.

Remember the spec's on these wheels? They're always given for a person that ways 130 pounds (typical Chinese dude?). So I doubt the MSuper is designed for heavy people.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Have you tried re-calibrating, so 'level' actually has a built-in back-tilt?

Yes.  It's still hard to push forward on steep hills.  I'm also putting a lot of pressure on my tip toes when riding on normal ground.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Remember the spec's on these wheels? They're always given for a person that ways 130 pounds (typical Chinese dude?). So I doubt the MSuper is designed for heavy people.

I'm comparing it to the NineBot One E+, my other wheel.  The NineBot is so much easier to climb hills or push forward.  The MSuper V3 has better pedals though.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Mavic lost track of me today. It appears the traffic sign was more interesting @ 59 seconds into the ride..Mavic immediately went into safe hover mode. At 1:42 it flew back to my truck embarrassed:crying:

That's very interesting.  You might want to forward that video to DJI to see what they think of it.  Is there any calibration settings on the drone/controller?  I wonder if the sun flare might have got it confused for a moment, but that's weird because when you lock it onto yourself you would think it would do some sort of colour/outline memorization to help with tracking.  Your motion is also moving pretty smoothly diagonally across the screen so when you are lost behind the sign you would think it could pick you up again once you reappeared a fraction of a moment later.  Maybe they will upgrade the firmware to make it smarter soon...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SuperSport said:

I'm comparing it to the NineBot One E+, my other wheel.  The NineBot is so much easier to climb hills or push forward.  The MSuper V3 has better pedals though.

as you said above..... you are 160#

folks who weigh less (which is a GOOD thing, usually) have reported more difficulty in controlling this HEAVY wheel

at 160#.... you would be considered ABOVE AVERAGE WEIGHT in ASIA, from where these wheels arise

so.... it's quite surprising to hear this from you

Edited by Greg Spalding
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SuperSport said:

it would be scary to ride in SOME parts of san francisco if you couldn't navigate going up a hilll

2 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

For what it's worth, I barely ride the NineBot anymore. That tells you how much I Love my MSuper V3. ?  Because, as everyone knows, I Really Loved my NineBot. 

Same here. After 2 days of being on the MSuper, I gave my old Airwheel to a friend, knowing I would never ride it again as long as the MSV3 still worked.

19 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

I'm able to climb steep hills, it's just more of a workout as @Tilmann mentioned. You need to clamp onto the wheel with your legs much more.  If doing hills all day, you'd be exhausted, where on the NineBot, not so much.  On the other hand, the pedals on the v3 are a LOT more comfortable than the NineBot, so my feet don't hurt as much. 

Don't get me wrong, the v3 is an amazing wheel to ride, and quite easy to steer, it's only going up grades where it becomes harder than the NineBot. 

For what it's worth, I barely ride the NineBot anymore. That tells you how much I Love my MSuper V3. ?  Because, as everyone knows, I Really Loved my NineBot. 

do you get the same difficulty in riding UPhill on the MSuper even if you use a SOFT mode giving you more pedal movement to "assist" with lean angle to accelerate?

just wondering

thanks for your thoughts and experiences

of course.... where I live..... the only UPhill we have is going up the many bridges over the intracoastal waterway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinellas_County,_Florida

Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 8.35.10 AM.png

Edited by Greg Spalding

33 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

do you get the same difficulty in riding UPhill on the MSuper even if you use a SOFT mode giving you more pedal movement to "assist" with lean angle to accelerate?

I have NOT tried that.  Good Idea!  I'll give that a shot today and report back.  I could switch it back and forth when needed if that helps.  I'm not sure soft will work, but I'll try.  When I tied the medium setting, it was SO Waterbed feeling that I had to stiffen it up.  But again, coming from a NineBot, which everyone knows is solid like a rock.

Edited by SuperSport
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

I have NOT tried that.  Good Idea!  I'll give that a shot today and report back.  I could switch it back and forth when needed if that helps.  I'm not sure soft will work, but I'll try.  When I tied the medium setting, it was SO Waterbed feeling that I had to stiffen it up.  But again, coming from a NineBot, which everyone knows is solid like a rock.

i was just wondering

don't hurt yourself with an EXTRA WATERBED FEELING...

i'm anxious to hear IF that helps

good luck

• Upvote 1