THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

not really a video this time, but... those of you who followed our beach rides - I wanted to share some apparent dangers: had a faceplant today, when a wheel unexpectedly hit a "soft spot", essentially just some unnoticeable area with a saturated loose sand. As a result, the wheel sank and stopped instantly, I moved on without it :) This is the bad thing. There are also two good things: (1) I wasn't hurt at all (I wear protection, plus fall on a sand is nothing compared to the asphalt) and (2) apparently these "quicksand" areas are rare, as I rode many miles on several occasions with just a single incident.

Here is the picture with the footprint of the accident:

DSC_0009a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@trya That sand is probably a lot like snow from EUCs point of view - it yells in the name of MX tire and go to extreme in size :) And like snow and ice, faceplants aren't nearly as painful and in asphalt. I got a few already, caused just some minor bruises. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Kells said:

Here is another one on the ice with no studs!  Pulling my girls, they had such a blast!

That's AWESOME!!!  And, the start of the video was funny to watch.

Edited by SuperSport

On 1/24/2016 at 1:36 PM, THA said:

IPS Lhotz vs. generic 14" - Because of that snow You can't distinguish all the lumps and holes on surface, but there is a lot of packed snow under, app. 2 inch fresh light snow on top. Afterwards we traded wheels and she had now problems at all to handle Lhotz. IPS tire has actually almost 80mm bigger OD. It's really stable and now when only -5 Celsius outside, range is already around 15k, including a lot of accelerations and brakings, in run with the dog in leach about 8k too, imagine the sudden stops, pees, etc. :D

The dog really loves running with the EUC

8 hours ago, DSeucist said:

Hey @trya  Did your face find also hot spot :) I was looking to see face footprint ;)

@DSeucist - I really didn't think of taking a pic of my "faceprint" at that time :) From the photos I have I really don't see where I actually landed... here is the one with the most coverage, and still no sign of even my body touching the sand... I guess I flew quite a distance :)

DSC_0008a.jpg

• Upvote 2

yes, @Kells, looks like snow and sand riding are in a way similar. For example, when riding sand and making turns, I have to lean forward a lot more to apply appropriate power and maintain the necessary speed (due to sand resistance), I think that snow has similar effect.

I should also note in that video above that I got a low battery at 11:30 ... on the IPS191 it tilted back to slow me down.  Then seemed to rock me back and forward 1 time and the beeping stopped when I kept the speed down...  I had 40% battery remaining after letting the EUC sit for a few minutes.  I wonder if I could have completed my trip around that lake.   

@trya I think the snow/ice would be more forgiving for faster speed falls, i'm trying to prep myself mentally to take it to the max speed then expect if I fall to just lay down, and not try to catch myself with my feet.. Technically it should be the same as falling down at 0 speed since the ice should have little resistance.  I am wearing a skate helmet, motorcycle jacket and kneepads, but I'm afraid of breaking something even though it should be a relatively painless fall unless I flail around trying to run it off...  It's a mental challenge, but I really want to push this as fast as possible, this may be my only opportunity to do it with minimal damage so I have an understanding of how it operates at 30kmh limit.

Edited by Kells

@Kells with the motorcycle jacket you should be ok. I personally don't dare riding faster than 23-24, and even that feels risky with just a helmet and knew/elbow/wrist pads. I like to think that my age (59) gives me some excuse :)

@Kells dear, did I really? No, most certainly didn't! But hey, I have a lot of experience of these conditions, so based on the grip it was obvius that You weight a lot more than me! And yes, You double, I coudn't pull any kid like You B) You know, if I would be 4ft tall, I would be fat, but I'm really tall, 6ft, so I'm normal - agree ;) 

E: I'm pushing the limits on this sport be'ing so small - 18" KS would be great if I just could reach to foot rest :D 

Edited by THA

9 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Great video!

I appreciate your skillz with overlays and maps.

It was a good patrol. As one guy with OCD I was going to commend your OCD level of detail (until I saw that the figure of eights on basketball court had not been mapped out. (jk!)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

EUC specs? It seems you got great mileage! 

It's a NineBot One E+.  On flat level ground, it appears I can get around 17 Miles on a charge (I finally ran it dry the other day. VERY slow on the last 2 miles due to tilt back).  I weigh about 160 lbs.  With clothes/gear 165-170 lbs.  Around my house (Placerville, CA), I can only get around 12-13 miles due to all the hills.  The ride in the above video was in Folsom, CA where it's much flatter.

12 minutes ago, Villac said:

the figure of eights on basketball court had not been mapped out

Yeah, I had a bunch of EUC battery left, so decided to go and practice.  I later went back over the mapped path about 1/2 way, but the camera ran out of battery.  Still had EUC battery when I got back to car though.  I'm loving the new Distance available to me with 1.3.5 Firmware installed on the NineBot.

Here is a fairly accurate updated map after the fact. ;)

UpdatedMap.jpg.4277a92998398ac9e173ba224

2 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

It's a NineBot One E+.  On flat level ground, it appears I can get around 17 Miles on a charge (I finally ran it dry the other day. VERY slow on the last 2 miles due to tilt back).  I weigh about 160 lbs.  With clothes/gear 165-170 lbs.  Around my house (Placerville, CA), I can only get around 12-13 miles due to all the hills.  The ride in the above video was in Folsom, CA where it's much flatter.

Yeah, I had a bunch of EUC battery left, so decided to go and practice.  I later went back over the mapped path about 1/2 way, but the camera ran out of battery.  Still had EUC battery when I got back to car though.  I'm loving the new Distance available to me with 1.3.5 Firmware installed on the NineBot.

Here is a fairly accurate updated map after the fact. ;)

UpdatedMap.jpg.4277a92998398ac9e173ba224

Ah! there it is! No surprise to find that you had it clocked! :)  (With drop/extract accurate to your favorite parking spot.)

I'm jealous of your weather, compared to Pennsylvania, but I've got no excuse to complain with the frozen lake tours that @Kells is posting!

Yeah, we've had a bunch of rain lately, so I was trying to take advantage of it.  Today is looking good too, so probably going out again since it will be raining after that.  Not sure where, anyone want to go for a ride?