In the news...

Circuitmage

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I disagree. This video was hilarious. Bravo for the guys who created it. So funny :laughbounce2:

yeah but the goody two shoes will try to paint this as something dangerous. personally it looks staged to me, kinda like ron’s crash.

it’s like cannabis, 26 million people voted not to let people try medical cannabis in florida. it’s not like they were ever gonna be bothered by the new law, they just didn’t want people to have the option. 

it’s a terrible human trait.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

yeah but the goody two shoes will try to paint this as something dangerous. personally it looks staged to me, kinda like ron’s crash.

it’s like cannabis, 26 million people voted not to let people try medical cannabis in florida. it’s not like they were ever gonna be bothered by the new law, they just didn’t want people to have the option. 

it’s a terrible human trait.

Oh, of course it was staged. The whole point (I thought) was that this was a joke video, like a couple of cowboys trying to tame a wild horse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Oh, of course it was staged. The whole point (I thought) was that this was a joke video, like a couple of cowboys trying to tame a wild horse.

i know and u know and it is slightly amusing, mostly when the handle hits him in the head.

i thought hoverboard crashes and fires were funny too. still it tainted my image of them to this day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LanghamP said:

False flag narrative.

100% of eScooters and bike-shares that end up in like that are purposefully put there by people who do not ride them. In other words, the people who put up that bird scooter sign are the same ones who maliciously move scooters so they block or otherwise inconvenience others.

You see this done all the time by men who don't get laid on the regular by hot young thin women. I swear, if we just made hooking legal, and fattening soft drinks and fast food illegal, 100% of people complaining about Bird scooters would just disappear, as these guys would have better things to do than hate on tech.

Haters gonna hate; yet where's the outrage towards car drivers who kill 6000 pedestrians per year and whose cars get 99% of the road infrastructure support (ever compared the width of a sidewalk to the road?).

Ridiculous. Anyone who complains about Bird scooters and Limebikes trashing out a place is like the guy who complains about his Netflix account going from 7.99 to 10.99 while his leased Camaro sits outside on his twice-mortgaged house's driveway. Probably while sipping his 800 calorie $5 Starbucks.

Like a non-potty trained puppy taking shits wherever it pleases (or like your Baby Boomer parent), internal combustion engine vehicles get a free pass despite polluting wherever they want, yet here we have the Bird Scooter being compared to...a turd? The irony.

Taking the opposite to its logical extreme, how would the world look if we managed to equip every Indian and Chinese national with a Ford F-150? Would the pollution be better, or worse, or be about the same? Congestion?

Hipocrites, every single one of them. LA and SF are the most liberal bastions of US yet they wouldn't dream of allowing hoi polloi zip around in their far less dangerous, far cheaper, and far less polluting eScooters because, you know, it ruins their view of the city.

True, but damn!

Couldn't we still enjoy fast food (in moderation) while chasing after hot-young-thin women (I'd settle for 1 out of 3). ;)

Edited by RayRay
Mmm, Starbucks!
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 3:18 PM, Thai-lad said:

It's a shame that there are [...] no EUC share companies.  Yet fundamentally, there is nothing preventing such a thing except that no one knows how to ride them...  which is a problem that's not that difficult to solve.

That looks like a problem much more difficult to solve than any other problem that EUC producers are facing. It is the major obstacle of the dissemination of EUCs, for selling EUCs into a market which is about a hundred times larger than the current one. It also makes parents much more hesitant in buying EUCs for their children. Soliciting every potential customer into a several hours practice is essentially an obstacle insurmountable to achieve in a few years.

• Like 3

I'm involved as software developer in an e-scooter sharing system in Brussels. We solved the "littering" problem by installing a mechanical U lock on each scooter and mandating that users attach the scooter to something and send a picture of the attached scooter at the end of their ride. This to avoid theft and having scooters parked in the middle of the sidewalk or road.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/24/2018 at 10:41 PM, LanghamP said:

False flag narrative.

100% of eScooters and bike-shares that end up in like that are purposefully put there by people who do not ride them. In other words, the people who put up that bird scooter sign are the same ones who maliciously move scooters so they block or otherwise inconvenience others.

Hipocrites, every single one of them. LA and SF are the most liberal bastions of US yet they wouldn't dream of allowing hoi polloi zip around in their far less dangerous, far cheaper, and far less polluting eScooters because, you know, it ruins their view of the city.

So you are saying that @Marty Backe was spouting nonsense when he claims that it spoiled his rides at Venice Beach?

• Like 1

A provincial paper, the Washington Post, published a column about scooters and traffic jams. Very subtly, it mentions an electric unicycle: "something that looked like a Robotic vacuum cleaner he rode like the cave man in the B.C. comic strip":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/the-electric-scooters-swarming-our-city-wont-solve-our-commuting-calamity/2018/08/27/fb7fbf32-aa12-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biped Phil said:

A provincial paper, the Washington Post, published a column about scooters and traffic jams. Very subtly, it mentions an electric unicycle: "something that looked like a Robotic vacuum cleaner he rode like the cave man in the B.C. comic strip":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/the-electric-scooters-swarming-our-city-wont-solve-our-commuting-calamity/2018/08/27/fb7fbf32-aa12-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html

Somebody needs to send her the results of our rider age surveys.  The writer is obviously misinformed.

Around the World on a Unicycle:

22,000 miles on a 36 inch unicycle.  Self-contained, with a giant pack.  Over 300k raised for charity.

This guy's own channel is great fun to watch.  It's linked below the video.

Edited by Dingfelder
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Around the World on a Unicycle:

22,000 miles on a 36 inch unicycle.  Self-contained, with a giant pack.  Over 300k raised for charity.

This guy's own channel is great fun to watch.  It's linked below the video.

Yeah, I've been watching Ed for a long time now. Then he went dark, not planning on releasing any of the United States videos until he gets back to England. Bummer.

14 hours ago, Biped Phil said:

Wow!  This is so poorly written.  Is this what the news paper has come to?  I have seen better writing by 4th graders.  Even I could write as well.  ( or even gooder! ). This is more of a sullen jealous  rant.  No facts just hearsay and “ I don’t like it!”   Also, she should probably find a way to control her boys. 

Cities can find a way to build paths for bikes and other personal vehicles. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

Wow!  This is so poorly written.  Is this what the news paper has come to?  I have seen better writing by 4th graders.  Even I could write as well.  ( or even gooder! ). This is more of a sullen jealous  rant.  No facts just hearsay and “ I don’t like it!”   Also, she should probably find a way to control her boys. 

Cities can find a way to build paths for bikes and other personal vehicles. 

Did you receive my PM @RockyTop

Santa Monica bans ALL motorized vehicles from bike paths...

Electric or motorized vehicles like bikes, skateboards and Segways are also banned on the bike paths, pier and municipal parks.

https://patch.com/california/santamonica/city-council-bans-electric-scooters-santa-monica-bike-pathshttps://patch.com/california/santamonica/city-council-bans-electric-scooters-santa-monica-bike-paths

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JomMas said:

The council also approved a "public right-of-way fee" that will be assessed on shared-mobility devices, such as electric scooters and bicycles.

No word yet on a "public right-of-way fee" to discourage unbounded automobile traffic from clogging city streets. I guess the only sanctioned method of reaching the (new) Expo Line is to hail a ride-share service or use the city's own hub based bikeshare program (presented by Hulu). SM not off to a great start building a 'multimodal' community mindset.  Such reactionary measures only prove that city planners are blind to the increasing problems posed by car and truck traffic; they tax solutions instead of addressing the core issues. Talk about zero vision... :efeed51798:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, RayRay said:

No word yet on a "public right-of-way fee" to discourage unbounded automobile traffic from clogging city streets. I guess the only sanctioned method of reaching the (new) Expo Line is to hail a ride-share service or use the city's own hub based bikeshare program (presented by Hulu). SM not off to a great start building a 'multimodal' community mindset.  Such reactionary measures only prove that city planners are blind to the increasing problems posed by car and truck traffic; they tax solutions instead of addressing the core issues. Talk about zero vision... :efeed51798:

I their defence (which pains me to write), they are only outlawing e-wheels in their parks and along the beach. They are OK everywhere else in the city, for now.

It sucks that EUCs will probably fall under their ban, but I do think they had no choice, The e-scooters are really out of control along the beach. I'm sure everywhere else in the city the density of e-scooters will never reach a bothersome level like you see at the beach (all those pesky tourists, etc.).

On 8/27/2018 at 7:39 PM, Biped Phil said:

That was one of the most stupid article I have ever read. All his arguments against shared bike or e-scooters apply to cars even more.

Safety: cars kill people. E-scooters? Please give an example.

Tidiness: Just assign some parking places. If you can give parking space to cars, why not to these bikes?

Metro ridership: He said that these e-scooters takes metro ridership away. Hey, without these last mile solutions, a lot of people will commute by cars, instead metro+e-scooters.

Edited by EUCMania
  • Like 1

Distinguishing between motorized devices is something that's probably going to be impossible to sell outside of very narrow limits.  I mean, we can recognize the difference between motorcycles and electric skateboards, but both can hurt people.  Trying to argue that one or another arguably similar device that we particularly like should be exempt from (even unfair) criticism or policing/regulation is going to go over like a lead balloon.  People can't be expected to make fine distinctions.  Even less so should they not completely understand an issue.

And, for all practical purposes, don't they?  I don't want to get crashed into by someone on an electric skateboard or an EUC, take your pick.  I would be terrified to see either one crash into my child.  (Not that I have one, but I watch a lot of TV and have been led to understand they're adorable.)  Do the fine distinctions matter that much?

• Upvote 1