Advice on first wheel

wehey

Hiya all. First post here.

i am selling my motorbike shortly and will have some funds for a wheel.

having done a bit of research I have narrowed it down to the Inmotion V8, Kingsong KS16 680wh and the Gotway AMC 16.

I have been advised that the V8 is the better wheel in terms of build quality. My main concern is that I will outgrow the range and power.

I am in the UK and will probably be 90% off road with plenty of hills.

How do they all compare? The V8 is tempting because of the price but I don't want to be looking for a replacement. I need a wheel that will last me for a long time and suit all of my needs.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum ?

You have not said what your weight is as that will make a big difference especially if you are thinking of riding on the South Downs. Certainly the V8 is an excellent wheel but it probably is the least advisable if you are heavy and will be riding in hills.

I personally don’t have experience of those 3 wheels but @Marty Backe does a lot of off road in the USA in hills that make English ones look like pimples so I’m hoping he will pitch in with his advice here?

16 minutes ago, Keith said:

Welcome to the forum ?

You have not said what your weight is as that will make a big difference especially if you are thinking of riding on the South Downs. Certainly the V8 is an excellent wheel but it probably is the least advisable if you are heavy and will be riding in hills.

I personally don’t have experience of those 3 wheels but @Marty Backe does a lot of off road in the USA in hills that make English ones look like pimples so I’m hoping he will pitch in with his advice here?

Thanks Kieth,

Yep the planned rides will be along the South Downs. From what I have read the V8 is good for 15miles  but with hills etc thrown in I dont want range to be a concern.

i may only do 5 miles, who knows, but I would like the option of going further if I want.

I weigh in at about 85kg presently.

Hi.

Might be worth considering the upcoming Inmotion V10 / V10F, sounds like the wheel is good for what you want - good electronics, stronger, battery big enough, high pedals. But usually it's better to buy what's available now, instead of waiting forever (just like with other tech).

I'd say the V8 is nice, but borderline too weak and with a small battery. The 16S is much stronger and has very robust electronics, which is what you want on hills. I assume you're talking about one of the smaller battery ACMs (680, 820Wh) which are 67V wheels and I'd greatly prefer the 16S over one of them.

16S vs a ACM2 (1300/1600Wh), hard choice. I'd go for the ACM2 for the bigger battery. Just don't buy a 84V (1300/1600Wh) ACM16 (="ACM1") because they cost the same as the ACM2s.

But it seems you're money-limited or at least trying not to spend too much. Consider a bigger battery if you can, nobody ever complained about too big of a battery.

TLDR: definitely 16S from the alternatives you mentioned, and the ACM2 exists as well. But you can't go wrong with a 16S (unless you very soon want more range).

edit:

Prices:

16S: 1360GBP (converted from 1550€ at 1radwerkstatt.de - German importer - free shipping in EU)

ACM2 1300Wh: 1400GBP at speedyfeet.co.uk (also free shipping)

ACM2 1600Wh: 1700GBP

Looks that price-wise, the ACM2 1300Wh is really good compared to the 840Wh 16S, unless you can get that somewhere cheaper.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I should have been clearer on my options as I am a bit limited on price.

Inmotion V8

Kingsong K16 680kwh

Gotway AMC 16 820kwh

This is what I have in mind including prices.

I could currently get a Gotway for under 1k in the UK but can't guarantee this will be available when I am ready to buy

Inmotion V8 £950

Kingsong K16 680kwh £1020

Kingsong K16S 840kwh £1200

Gotway ACM16 820kwh £1300

Ooops, sorry, I read KS16S instead of KS16 in your original post.

From the 4 options you list, I still think the 1200GBP 16S (for clarification, you really mean the 16S which is the upgrade/successor of the KS16, and not just a 840Wh KS16 non-S?) is by far the best option - most bang for your buck.

The three others really are last generation wheels - not bad at all, but as they're not exactly cheap either, pay a little more to get a significantly improved wheel (just like instead of paying 1300 for a 840Wh ACM, for 1400 you can get a 1300Wh ACM2 which is on another level entirely).

1radwerkstatt.de also sells a 680Wh KS16S - a custom size that usually isn't available, but it's 1350€ (1190GBP) and if you really can get a 16S 840Wh for 1200, that obviously is better (if you just mean a 840Wh 16 non-S for 1200, then the 680Wh 16S is preferable). Just fyi so you know it exists.

3 hours ago, wehey said:

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I should have been clearer on my options as I am a bit limited on price.

Inmotion V8

Kingsong K16 680kwh

Gotway AMC 16 820kwh

This is what I have in mind including prices.

I could currently get a Gotway for under 1k in the UK but can't guarantee this will be available when I am ready to buy

Inmotion V8 £950

Kingsong K16 680kwh £1020

Kingsong K16S 840kwh £1200

Gotway ACM16 820kwh £1300

Based on your criteria I absolutely agree with everyone else. Buy the KS16S. It's a fantastic wheel. 

Thanks for the advice guys.

Unless the Gotway is still for sale for under 1K I will definitely be going for the Kingsong.

The UK website that was selling them has no current stock?

Where else could I look to source one of these (Kingsong) as I don't see anyone else in the UK that sells them?

10 minutes ago, wehey said:

Unless the Gotway is still for sale for under 1K I will definitely be going for the Kingsong.

Where else could I look to source one of these (Kingsong) as I don't see anyone else in the UK that sells them?

@KingSong69, do you have a suggestion where he could buy the KS16S?

47 minutes ago, wehey said:

Best price in Europe (afaik) is Kingsong Poland.... @KS Poland

Other places are 1radwerkstatt.de or electro-sport.de

all these places i can recommend.

The Inmotion V8 is underpowered in terms of speed, You will end up upgrading after a week or two. Kingsong 16s is a good wheel but doesn't have good mileage range as the battery capacity is low. The ACM doesn't have an extension handle. The Tesla would be ideal for you, It is more than powerful has better mileage range than the KS16s and has an intergrated extension handle. It is also safe provided you know how to ride.  

I'll throw in a vote for the V8.  I was in your shoes six months ago and was facing a similar dilemma.  The problem I had with talking myself into the KS16S is that it was 30-40% more expensive (there was a guy selling a nearly-new V8 on the forum at the time in my country).  Yes, the extra range would have been nice, but V8 fans will argue that it's the wheel with the best balance of power/size/WEIGHT of the currently available city wheel options.  

The way I ended up rationalizing it was to get the V8 and accept that I would buy another secondary wheel later and save the money I was going to put into the 16S towards that future purchase.  Ended up buying an 18S a couple months later and it was a way better value for the $ than the V8 (again bought used and got a good deal).  

If I were doing it all again, and I knew in advanced how committed I would become to the hobby, I may have waited and gone straight to the 18S.  I feel the entry-level is the weak area of the market for EUCs, sadly.  You'd ideally want it to be the opposite to bring people in.  The Ninebot sale recently was the best option I've seen for newbs.  

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

He wants you to buy his (barely) used Tesla that he linked to (in UK, too). For 1000, not too shabby! I don't think you'll get more wheel for your money anywhere else currently (unless an even better deal comes up).

I would have that Tesla in a heartbeat. 

I have to sell my motorbike first tho. I imagine it will be long gone by then ?

Check out the videos from Speedyfeet on YouTube. He routinely rides his V8 in a very hilly area and on forest trails. What you see may end up helping you decide if it is a contender or not. I had to decide between the V8 and 16S back in June. Decided on the V8 as the 16S was just a bit too expensive for my first foray in the EUC world. I've been very happy so far but I ride very flat terrain and weigh in about 70 to 75kg depending on what's in my backpack. 

The 16S is also a great wheel and certainly a step up from the V8 in terms of motor power and battery if you can afford it. 

I forgot to say that in deciding how much to spend be sure to allow a hundred or two to get some quality safety gear. Wrist guards, knee & elbow protection, and a helmet (preferably full face) is beginning to be the normal minimum for safety gear. 

16S. There are also mods you can do to replace the 2.125" wheel with a fatter 2.5" wheel. Not sure how to do it though.

Also consider a small battery version of the Gotway MSuper. Bigger 18" wheel and better suited for your offroad/trail interests. Shouldn't be much more expensive than an ACM or KS16 for the small battery version of MSuper.

But of your options, KS-16s is the best choice. Probably even better than the Tesla, because of durability. There's a reason they're sold out.

10 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I forgot to say that in deciding how much to spend be sure to allow a hundred or two to get some quality safety gear. Wrist guards, knee & elbow protection, and a helmet (preferably full face) is beginning to be the normal minimum for safety gear. 

I went and broke my new rule by not first mentioning the need to budget for safety gear.  

5 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I went and broke my new rule by not first mentioning the need to budget for safety gear.  

Yeah definitely. I have a helmet already.

im 47 now and have no intention to break my fragile bones.

i will be pottering along lol. It's more about getting out and exploring than speed and adrenaline for me

I have the KS16.  I constantly hit the 30kmph limit.  I think it is probably the best on your list for the price limit.  I have the 840wh version.  How far do you plan to go without charging?  I bought it used and learn on it mostly.  I use it mostly for short trips under an hour.  Anything over an hour I grab the one with the seat, the KS18S.  You always have an option to charge the wheel on the go.

20 hours ago, wehey said:

I have to sell my motorbike first tho. I imagine it will be long gone by then ?

9 hours ago, mezzanine said:

19 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I forgot to say that in deciding how much to spend be sure to allow a hundred or two to get some quality safety gear.

@wehey Welcome aboard! If your going to sell your motorcycle to enter this hobby don’t cut corners on safety gear as fellow members have stated. This hobby is still in the infancy stage and bad things can happen in an instance that unfortunately are beyond our control. If my Harley engine quits I can just coast to a stop. When an EUC motor stops you immediately impact the ground.  Be safe! 

6 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

@wehey  Why not just order from Justina's company, here: https://www.electricunicycles.eu/store

V8: £893

KS16: £961

Shipping to the UK is about £13. Sorted. (Personally I'd take the V8, far more classy.)

It's the KS16S that I was interested in........£1400 tho from Justina...Gulp ?

Archived