Advice on first wheel

wehey

Wrist guards wrist guards wrist guards!!!!!!

By far the most important, never ride without. Can you even imagine any fall where your palms won't hit the ground first? Pavement at speeds is abrasive (lol any surface is).

Knee guards can't hurt, too. If you fall, hard not to land on the knees as well. And for >25km/h you kind of need a helmet (ideally full face, because if you fall you land on your face) if I'm honest.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, wehey said:

Thanks. 

I have a helmet already. 

Would you recommend some additional safety gear too??

I have a full face helmet, and just purchased motorcycle jacket and trousers with padding. I guess its dependent on what you're doing with it, I commute daily on mine and i've had a couple of spills and they can really hurt specially on the shitty uk paths

On ‎31‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 8:42 PM, wehey said:

I would have that Tesla in a heartbeat. 

I have to sell my motorbike first tho. I imagine it will be long gone by then ?

a tesla is definetly a nice wheel. I can reccomend it. You can still get a tesla for about 1200eur

fast wheel. Quiet. Sleek lights. Battery is big enough to never run out in 1 day. I weigh 90kg i use a tesla. It is like riding a cloud that can go superspeed at soft mode, and riding a titanium block at hard mode.

and its quite a bit cheaper than the acm2 but the acm2 does have a bigger battery. But i never drained my tesla battery to less than 10% and that was on a looong road trip

i can reccomend it. But remember gotway and 3% failrate. So you can be unlucky like me and have a weak mosfet. But you can also go without problems for years of fun

20 minutes ago, wehey said:

Well it's just arrived and I have spent about an hour wobbling around on it.

Jeez my inner legs hurt from gripping it. I'm gonna be bruised tomorrow 

congratz on your new wheel!

i hope you felt as excited as me when you saw that big bow arrive? :D 

and take a little break and start again in about 30 minutes. after that if you have got it fully drive more. but if its not there yet fully. just wait a few hours and go for an evening ride (depending on time)   

on my first day i used about  a little over an hour of extreme try and error. then i got something. i could ride down the street verry wobbly.

then i waited my body hurt. then i tried again an hour later for about 10 minutes. still wobbly. then i waited then at midnight 4 hours after i went out for a ride and i thought to my self "strighten up, stand still" i did and it clicked and i went for a few km drive.. still those "death wobbles" where you suddenly feel like you loose balance and get off it and get on again

anf then you just use your euc and after about week of being able to drive it you have mastered the skills enough of turning and that to use it near other people... day 2 i felt confident. but sharp turns and sudden wobbles happened still

4 hours ago, wehey said:

When I started learning to ride, I got large shin bruises straight away so I bought these field hockey shin guards... I find them super comfy and I still wear them while riding...

https://splay.co.uk/collections/hockey-shin-pads/products/splay-club-hockey-shin-pad

5 hours ago, wehey said:

A lot of that leg soreness will go away magically after a few rides. I didn't believe it myself until it happened. But yeah, you can also take actions to pad the wheel. But just look at a lot of videos of people riding their KS16S. Seems like most people's legs just adapt to the initial soreness and the soreness goes away.

Congrats on your sweet wheel, I'm kinda jealous!

Hello all. Rather than create my own thread I thought I would just tag onto this one. I too am looking for a wheel for transportation/fun.

I work as a touring stunt performer, so I am in a new major city every week. The biggest hurdle with being on tour is transportation. I recently started looking into EUC and decided it would be a good investment to travel with for grabbing groceries, exploring, going to the gym, etc. 

From research it appears that flying with these devices is a no go. Our tour does fly about half of the time on commercial flights, but if it is true that flying with them is prohibited, then i can probably load them with our show equipment in the trucks and solve that problem. The rest of the time we bus, and transporting it on the bus shouldn't be a problem.

I am 6'1" 215 lbs muscular build with a size 12 shoe. I would most likely be traveling within a 3 mile radius most cities, as most grocery stores and gyms are within that limit. Usually with a backpack so total weight between 220-230 depending on groceries.

I need something that can handle my size, is safe enough I can travel throughout unknown city streets/sidewalks (so I am assuming a bigger tire) and has a decent range. If I cannot fly with the device, then weight and power aren't prohibited, but portability would be nice, although all the wheels look to be a out the same size. Weight of the machine isn't a factor unless like I mentioned I am able to fly with it.

I plan on making my purchase when I am back home in southern California in the middle of May. The next tour wouldn't start until the middle of June, so that is when I would need the EUC. I saw the v10f announcement and it looks like a good wheel, albeit $1500 is a lot, but if it is worth it then so be it. Anyways just wanted to hear what wheel you guys would recommend for my situation. Thank you for all the input

Dalon

Interesting job!

Flying with non-miniscule lithium-ion battery sizes is generally banned on passenger flights by the ICAO, so that restriction won't go away quickly or maybe ever. So you always have to ship the wheel by freight plane if it has to be a plane. But if you have other transportation options, good! Car, shipping on ground, etc. all works.

V10 is indeed a nice wheel, you can go with the smaller battery ($1300 - though generally, you might like wheeling, so I always recommend getting the biggest battery you can live with, so that would be the V10F).

Or maybe a KingSong KS16S, because it has such a nice internal trolley handle (a trolley handle is really important if you think about running errands, shopping, wherever you know you don't always ride the wheel).

100kg is still ok for weight, you can buy any wheel with a >1000W (nominal) motor and it should work, of course more is always better:efee8319ab:. So you have some options. Really depends on personal preference (looks) and which one intuitively feels right for you.

Just check https://www.ewheels.com/shop/ for a pretty good overview of what's available. Maybe you like the KS18L? Just anything with a good trolley handle.

TLDR: V10 or V10F, 16S, 18L.

58 minutes ago, Dalon said:

Hello all. Rather than create my own thread I thought I would just tag onto this one. I too am looking for a wheel for transportation/fun.

I work as a touring stunt performer, so I am in a new major city every week. The biggest hurdle with being on tour is transportation. I recently started looking into EUC and decided it would be a good investment to travel with for grabbing groceries, exploring, going to the gym, etc. 

From research it appears that flying with these devices is a no go. Our tour does fly about half of the time on commercial flights, but if it is true that flying with them is prohibited, then i can probably load them with our show equipment in the trucks and solve that problem. The rest of the time we bus, and transporting it on the bus shouldn't be a problem.

I am 6'1" 215 lbs muscular build with a size 12 shoe. I would most likely be traveling within a 3 mile radius most cities, as most grocery stores and gyms are within that limit. Usually with a backpack so total weight between 220-230 depending on groceries.

I need something that can handle my size, is safe enough I can travel throughout unknown city streets/sidewalks (so I am assuming a bigger tire) and has a decent range. If I cannot fly with the device, then weight and power aren't prohibited, but portability would be nice, although all the wheels look to be a out the same size. Weight of the machine isn't a factor unless like I mentioned I am able to fly with it.

I plan on making my purchase when I am back home in southern California in the middle of May. The next tour wouldn't start until the middle of June, so that is when I would need the EUC. I saw the v10f announcement and it looks like a good wheel, albeit $1500 is a lot, but if it is worth it then so be it. Anyways just wanted to hear what wheel you guys would recommend for my situation. Thank you for all the input

Dalon

The reality is, any quality wheel being produced today would fulfill your limited needs of a <5-mile range wheel. Your large stature will take a toll on the smaller wheels, but in the context of how you intend on using it, I don't see that as an issue.

The biggest consideration for dealing with the weight is the power of the wheel. You want more power and battery capacity to deal with the power surges that the wheel has to handle when moving your weight around under potentially rough conditions (bumps, ruts, etc.). There's no doubt in my mind that the 18-inch wheels feel better to the bigger guys. Maybe @The Fat Unicyclist can chime in here. When he visited us in Southern California last year he was able to try various wheels. I think he felt that my MSuper V3 fit his body best. Kevin's a big guy (in case his handle didn't clue you into that fact :D)

Your decision is probably going to come down to styling and $$$. Technically, I feel confident that all of these released wheels would work: KS14S, KS16S, KS18S, ACM, Tesla, MSuper, and the V10. I don't include the Monster because it's really outside of your price range (and it's huge). I think that you would feel that the KS18S and MSuper would be less strained when carrying you around verses the other wheels.

Shoot me a message when you're in the Los Angeles area and maybe you can meetup with a few us to see some wheels first hand. There's a strong likelihood that I'll be selling my well cared for MSuper V3s+ in the next month or so.

51 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The msuper V3 trolley handle is trash, though.

People say this, but I actually own the MSuper and use the trolley handle. It's not 'trash' IMHO and works nicely for my needs.

2 hours ago, Dalon said:

Dalon

I would stick with quality built products from King Song or Inmotion.  I would skip Gotway because if you watch some of Marty's teardown videos, the inside looks like there was zero design though.  After seeing the inside of those wheels, I wouldn't buy another Gotway wheel until they hire a real engineer.  

For someone your size, I would suggest the King Song  KS18S, KS18L - the 18L hasn't been released yet.  I would also suggest the Inmotion V10F or the King Song KS16S.  The Ninebot Z10 is also a new wheel that isn't out yet.  It looks like a wheel that is for your profession.  Fat 4" tires.  

For clarification, @eddiemoy's strong opinion on Gotways might not be shared by the majority here:efee8319ab: The current ones are fine.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

People say this, but I actually own the MSuper and use the trolley handle. It's not 'trash' IMHO and works nicely for my needs.

I found it too wobbly to comfortably use when I tried it. Not something I'd like to take into a store or through tight crowds (where someone might push the wheel sideways or so) or something to guide/force the wheel as opposed to pulling it behind you. I guess it works, but I was disappointed by how low effort it is. Maybe they have a better one on later models, mine were from 67V ones? But sure, you can live with it, there are just better handles on other wheels apparently:efee47c9c8:

My first wheel was a V8 and after getting the ACM I think the V8 sucks.  It wobbles like crazy and I've had 3 serious fall that I don't believe is completely my fault.  I've own both wheels about a year and have not fallen once from the ACM.  Except, when I purpose took up a mountain and fell due to loose rock, my fault completely.  I've had zero problems on my ACM.  It is awesome.

It irks me when I hear about InMotion quality.  I completely disagree.  The charging port rubber grummet came out in less than a month.  On the 3rd fall, the shell crack at the handle and won't snap back.

At this point, I don't recommend the V8 or V10.   V10 looks massive.  I'm wondering if a 18inch wheel is the same size as the V10, does anyone have a picture to compare?

To me battery range in miles is important, size matter so 16inch is good all around, weight matters and trolley handle matters.  The ACM handle does suck.

39 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

For clarification, @eddiemoy's strong opinion on Gotways might not be shared by the majority here:efee8319ab: The current ones are fine.

I found it too wobbly to comfortably use when I tried it. Not something I'd like to take into a store or through tight crowds (where someone might push the wheel sideways or so) or something to guide/force the wheel as opposed to pulling it behind you. I guess it works, but I was disappointed by how low effort it is. Maybe they have a better one on later models, mine were from 67V ones? But sure, you can live with it, there are just better handles on other wheels apparently:efee47c9c8:

It's certainly not the finest trolley handle made. I objected to the phrase "handle is trash". That's a bit strong IMO.

It's better than all the other 18-inch trolley handles out there - oh yeah, there aren't any other 18-inch trolley handles. I know, I know. The KS18L. Maybe when it ships 2-years after the MSuper was introduced :lol:

On 4/10/2018 at 3:31 PM, Cannings said:

I have a full face helmet, and just purchased motorcycle jacket and trousers with padding. I guess its dependent on what you're doing with it, I commute daily on mine and i've had a couple of spills and they can really hurt specially on the shitty uk paths

They can REALLY hurt unless you have good protection.

On 4/10/2018 at 12:45 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Wrist guards wrist guards wrist guards!!!!!!

By far the most important, never ride without. Can you even imagine any fall where your palms won't hit the ground first? Pavement at speeds is abrasive (lol any surface is).

Knee guards can't hurt, too. If you fall, hard not to land on the knees as well. And for >25km/h you kind of need a helmet (ideally full face, because if you fall you land on your face) if I'm honest.

@meepmeepmayer nailed it. There are three items of protection you shouldn't ever go without: Helmet is number one, wrist guards follows as a close number two, and knee pads will save you some really painful damage if you fall forward. The rest is "optional", but believe me, the first time you take a real spill, the term "optional" seem to fade away pretty fast.

So far (touch wood) none of my spills have lead to serious injury. Luckily I've had all my gear on every time: MC jacket with elbow, shoulder and back protection, wrist guards, knee pads and a helmet.

I've fallen twice with an open helmet and once with a full face helmet, none of the times have my face or head come close to the asphalt, but the last time it was damn close.

In all three falls I would have hurt my wrists without the wrist guards. And in the last one I had to scrap my knee pads and get new ones.

Except for the first fall, which was at almost zero speed, I've managed to more or less roll out of the fall, but even so I would have hurt myself badly without protection.

7 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Marty Backe Ok, "trash" may be too harsh.

You're definitely right with your other point. Others do too little, too late, GW goes all in. There's a reason they are so popular.

Just when "errands" or such are mentioned in a proposed wheel use, imho a good trolley handle is a must.

Yes, say what you will about Gotway, they're not shy about introducing new wheels to push the boundaries... and they're not slow off the mark.

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The reality is, any quality wheel being produced today would fulfill your limited needs of a <5-mile range wheel. Your large stature will take a toll on the smaller wheels, but in the context of how you intend on using it, I don't see that as an issue.

The biggest consideration for dealing with the weight is the power of the wheel. You want more power and battery capacity to deal with the power surges that the wheel has to handle when moving your weight around under potentially rough conditions (bumps, ruts, etc.). There's no doubt in my mind that the 18-inch wheels feel better to the bigger guys. Maybe @The Fat Unicyclist can chime in here. When he visited us in Southern California last year he was able to try various wheels. I think he felt that my MSuper V3 fit his body best. Kevin's a big guy (in case his handle didn't clue you into that fact :D)

Your decision is probably going to come down to styling and $$$. Technically, I feel confident that all of these released wheels would work: KS14S, KS16S, KS18S, ACM, Tesla, MSuper, and the V10. I don't include the Monster because it's really outside of your price range (and it's huge). I think that you would feel that the KS18S and MSuper would be less strained when carrying you around verses the other wheels.

Shoot me a message when you're in the Los Angeles area and maybe you can meetup with a few us to see some wheels first hand. There's a strong likelihood that I'll be selling my well cared for MSuper V3s+ in the next month or so.

Thanks Marty... I think?   :huh:   

As one of the heavier riders around here, let me add this...  There are more and more wheels available hat have plenty of power for heavier loads. But one thing that hasn't been discussed much is the rider comfort.

With a (hypothetical ;)) load of 240lb on a wheel, the smaller the diameter of the wheel, the more jarring "hard transitions" are.

Now I love the agility of a 14" wheel on a smooth surface. But when I'm riding rough (or on unfamiliar routes) the larger diameter wheels are so much more comfortable and enjoyable!

When I joined Marty and the crew to ride and try out wheels, I was surprised how well the larger wheels "fitted" me, but it does make sense... Standing at 6'3" the proportions are right. So my suggestion would be to aim for a minimum 16" wheel.

Right now I am personally most excited about the KS18L and the just announced MSuper X (but I wouldn't consider this a wheel for beginners).

37 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanks Marty... I think?   :huh:   

As one of the heavier riders around here, let me add this...  There are more and more wheels available hat have plenty of power for heavier loads. But one thing that hasn't been discussed much is the rider comfort.

With a (hypothetical ;)) load of 240lb on a wheel, the smaller the diameter of the wheel, the more jarring "hard transitions" are.

Now I love the agility of a 14" wheel on a smooth surface. But when I'm riding rough (or on unfamiliar routes) the larger diameter wheels are so much more comfortable and enjoyable!

When I joined Marty and the crew to ride and try out wheels, I was surprised how well the larger wheels "fitted" me, but it does make sense... Standing at 6'3" the proportions are right. So my suggestion would be to aim for a minimum 16" wheel.

Right now I am personally most excited about the KS18L and the just announced MSuper X (but I wouldn't consider this a wheel for beginners).

I'm leaning towards getting a bigger wheel myself. While I love my GT16 and it's nippy agility, it is a slightly teeth shattering experience on bad trails. Going up to 18" would probably keep enough of the agility and at the same time provide the cushion needed. Especially with a wider tire.

The MSuper X, and the NB Z10 are at the top of the watchlist right now, 19*3" sounds very good, as does 18*4.1"...

4 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Yes, say what you will about Gotway, they're not shy about introducing new wheels to push the boundaries... and they're not slow off the mark.

But it is easy to slap together a wheel untested and let the user base do the testing.  That’s what it looks like on the inside.  I think I found the right analogy now, like if you put together a pc yourself.  The insides remind me of a self put together PC.  Zero cable management.  

So today I went out for the first time in a public place for a ride on the new Kingsong.

Yesterday I had a few wobbles up and down the side of the house holding onto the wall.

I went to a huge playing field on the outskirts of Brighton. The grass was wet and muddy.
I must have looked a right muppet trying to get up and ride, covered in mud and sweat.
After 30 mins my legs were so sore on the insides that I stopped and had a coffee in the car.

Refreshed I headed out again for more humiliation ?

This time it all clicked and I spent the next hour wobbling my way around the field covering  5Km in all.
Speed is definitely an advantage. The field was so soggy that I was slipping and sliding around and always moment away from a crash, but I managed to anticipate it and jump off.

I loved every minute. Every muscle now aches. She is now on charge and I will be back out for some more punishment tomorrow. 

Happy days ???

12 minutes ago, wehey said:

Any tips on registering thro the app.

im getting nowhere with it.

are there any befits in doing this

IMG_4521.PNG

if you can change settings on the wheel without registering then there is no benefits

Archived