Advice on first wheel

wehey

20 minutes ago, wehey said:

It's the KS16S that I was interested in........£1400 tho from Justina...Gulp ?

You can find an 18" MSuper for less than that. Look at the prices in the US, $1,000 for the 680 wh version:

MSuper V3

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/31/2018 at 7:03 AM, wehey said:

I am in the UK and will probably be 90% off road with plenty of hills.

Your intended usage for your wheel is very different from the usage of most EUC riders recommending that you buy a 16" wheel. Nobody who rides 90% off-road would prefer a 16" wheel to an 18".

15 minutes ago, wehey said:

It's the KS16S that I was interested in........£1400 tho from Justina...Gulp ?

Ah sorry, didn't see the 'S'!

You might be better off looking in the 2nd hand market. Not only because of budgetary reasons but also because:

If this is your first wheel, AND your priority is off-road.......that combination means your new toy is going to be getting roughed up VERY quickly.

7 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

Shipping + import duty from the USA to the UK is ridiculous sadly, so not an option 

Your intended usage for your wheel is very different from the usage of most EUC riders recommending that you buy a 16" wheel. Nobody who rides 90% off-road would prefer a 16" wheel to an 18".

Yeah an 18 would be ideal I guess but it all comes down to cost.

In the UK, buy from https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle unless it's a KingSong (which they don't have)

I can't in good conscience recommend a 67V Gotway (680 or 820Wh ACM/msuper V3). Too old.

Though I guess, for a good price, might be worth considering. But these U.S. prices are (sadly) NOT attainable in Europe.

In my opinion, 16 inches works perfectly fine for offroad, too.And they tent to be a little cheaper.

--

Looks like OP is learning that electric unicycles have a "there are no price-competitive cheaper wheels" problem. The best what-you-get/price ratio is right near to the top, and gets massively worse going towards "cheaper" (1000 and less) wheels.

Maybe he ends up with a 1600Wh msuper V3 (Tesla motor) eventually:efee612b4b: Certainly a nice wheel:efeeec645d: I kind of want one now.

For now, 1400 16S or 1400 ACM2 1300Wh, both great wheels, I'd go for the ACM2 obviously.

18 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Ah sorry, didn't see the 'S'!

You might be better off looking in the 2nd hand market. Not only because of budgetary reasons but also because:

If this is your first wheel, AND your priority is off-road.......that combination means your new toy is going to be getting roughed up VERY quickly.

That's what I'm secretly hoping will happen. The right item will pop up for sale in the adds at the right time.

Is the best place to find them on the second hand section on here?

Do you get many come up in the UK

1 minute ago, wehey said:

That's what I'm secretly hoping will happen. The right item will pop up for sale in the adds at the right time.

Is the best place to find them on the second hand section on here?

Do you get many come up in the UK

Yeah you get a surprising few from the UK. And Europe - surprisingly cheap to ship.

The main place to keep an eye out would indeed be this forum but also probably worth joining the 'official London electric unicycle' group on facebook (if you use facebook). They occasionally have people put up sale posts. ?

Speedyfeet also sell 2nd hand wheels too. You can either visit their website or facebook site.

37 minutes ago, wehey said:

Shipping + import duty from the USA to the UK is ridiculous sadly, so not an option 

What I'm saying is be looking for that same wheel for sale in your area, rather than just looking at the 16" wheels and assuming that all the 18" wheels are more expensive.

If the Msuper 3-680 is 12% cheaper than the KS-16s in the US, it might be cheaper, the same price, or just slightly more expensive than the KS-16s in Europe, if you're actually researching it.

This used V8 in London sold for 850 pounds recently. 

In the next month you'll see more used wheels being listed here for sale in the UK, as people upgrade their wheels when the new 2018 wheels start coming out.

My money was burning a hole in my pocket so I bought a new MCM-3 14" wheel for $500, but then 3-4 weeks later Marty Backe was selling his favorite wheel and my dream wheel at the time, his ACM 16" wheel with a much bigger battery than I got in my MCM-3. And the price was only like $650, for a wheel that cost $1500-ish new.

If I had just waited a little longer I would have had a bigger, better wheel with 40-50 mile range rather than 10 mile range, for just a slightly higher price. 

23 hours ago, wehey said:

Thanks for the advice guys.

Unless the Gotway is still for sale for under 1K I will definitely be going for the Kingsong.

The UK website that was selling them has no current stock?

Where else could I look to source one of these (Kingsong) as I don't see anyone else in the UK that sells them?

I think this site you can preorder now.  https://proj42.co.uk/kingsong  

Speedyfeet:

Gotway MSuper V3 (18 Inch) - 820wh

Regular price£1,245.83 | £1,495.00 inc VAT

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle/products/gotway-msuper-v3-18-inch-820wh

Motor twice as big as the V8, bigger, fatter wheel, and battery about twice as big too. Not sure how the price stacks up to the KS-16s though.

9 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

Not sure how the price stacks up to the KS-16s though.

Badly!

1200 (edit: oh God its even 1500) for an ooooooold 67.2V Gotway with 820Wh, 1400 for a shiny nice 16S with 840Wh, or 1400 for a 1300Wh ACM2 powerhouse.

That's exactly the problem, "cheap" (1000 is NOT cheap) wheels are (in comparison) a waste of money.

Market is not friendly to budget-conscious buyers at all.

Speedyfeet:

Gotway MSuper V3 (18 Inch) - 820wh

Regular price£1,245.83 | £1,495.00 inc VAT

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle/products/gotway-msuper-v3-18-inch-820wh

Motor twice as big as the V8, bigger, fatter wheel, and battery about twice as big too. Not sure how the price stacks up to the KS-16s though.

Thanks mate but I just don’t have that sort of money to spend

20 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Badly!

1200 (edit: oh God its even 1500) for an ooooooold 67.2V Gotway with 820Wh, 1400 for a shiny nice 16S with 840Wh, or 1400 for a 1300Wh ACM2 powerhouse.

That's exactly the problem, "cheap" (1000 is NOT cheap) wheels are (in comparison) a waste of money.

Market is not friendly to budget-conscious buyers at all.

Yeah. I'm realizing that if I lived in Europe I wouldn't even have my cheap first wheel yet (MCM-3 $500). I should count my blessings that I even have my 10 mile range.

The thing is that I haven’t even seen a wheel before let alone ride one so am a bit reluctant to splerge ridiculous amounts (despite £1000 seeming pretty ridiculous lol)

Until 2 years ago I was really into surfing/kayaking/kitesurfing until I knackered my shoulder. 

Ive been on the hunt for a replacement “obsession” for a while and this really has my interest. 

Just have to sell the bloody motorbike first  

35 minutes ago, wehey said:

The thing is that I haven’t even seen a wheel before let alone ride one so am a bit reluctant to splerge ridiculous amounts (despite £1000 seeming pretty ridiculous lol)

Until 2 years ago I was really into surfing/kayaking/kitesurfing until I knackered my shoulder. 

Ive been on the hunt for a replacement “obsession” for a while and this really has my interest. 

Just have to sell the bloody motorbike first  

If I were in your shoes I would do more research about the injury risk involved with riding EUCs.  Also, don't underestimate how much monitoring the road surface for irregularities may detract from your ability to enjoy riding.  If you have a bicycle and have never tried riding on roads with vehicles, I highly recommend doing so for a week or so before you buy a EUC to get an idea for whether you'll even want to deal with the stress.

7 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

If I were in your shoes I would do more research about the injury risk involved with riding EUCs.  Also, don't underestimate how much monitoring the road surface for irregularities may detract from your ability to enjoy riding.  If you have a bicycle and have never tried riding on roads with vehicles, I highly recommend doing so for a week or so before you buy a EUC to get an idea for whether you'll even want to deal with the stress.

Yes, you must always be scanning the road ahead of you like a Cylon from Battlestar Galactica :lol: But that does not detract from my ability to enjoy riding. I LOVE riding and never get tired of it (well, maybe after riding for 4-hours, I do).

If you're (@wehey) an active guy, get ready to become addicted to your next obsession :D

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, you must always be scanning the road ahead of you like a Cylon from Battlestar Galactica :lol: But that does not detract from my ability to enjoy riding. I LOVE riding and never get tired of it (well, maybe after riding for 4-hours, I do).

If you're (@wehey) an active guy, get ready to become addicted to your next obsession :D

That’s exactly what I mean. 

The thrill and excitement I would have knowing that a big swell was heading to our beach or when the winds and tides coincided with free time. 

Time away from normal life to enjoy getting out in the fresh air doing something your passionate about. 

I miss it and need a fix lol

I have been offered a new KS14S for a good price here in the UK.

From my limited knowledge it has an 800w motor but a much bigger battery that the V8.

Woild the 14nch wheel make it less suitable for off-road trail riding?

Is the 800w motor too weak for my needs?

14 minutes ago, wehey said:

From my limited knowledge it has an 800w motor but a much bigger battery that the V8.

Awesome, congrats. It's a very good wheel. Not ideal for offroad, but not bad either. I was just looking at the EWheels.com Buyer's Guide chart, and that chart says it's fully offroad capable, unlike the KS14D which is described as Somewhat offroad capable.

The 14" wheel size is not ideal, but you got the best 14" wheel and it will be a GREAT overall wheel for you.

And here's a new Marty Backe video from this week riding the KS14S on trails.

2 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

Awesome, congrats. It's a very good wheel. Not ideal for offroad, but not bad either. I was just looking at the EWheels.com Buyer's Guide chart, and that chart says it's fully offroad capable, unlike the KS14D which is described as Somewhat offroad capable.

The 14" wheel size is not ideal, but you got the best 14" wheel and it will be a GREAT overall wheel for you.

And here's a new Marty Backe video from this week riding the KS14S on trails.

I respectfully disagree. I think the KS14S is just about perfect for offroad riding. It's built like a tank and is extremely nimble which is a great asset to working trails. Yes, a bigger wheel will be more comfortable, but in my opinion not quite as fun :D

2 hours ago, wehey said:

The KS14S is an absolutely fantastic offroad wheel - it may be my favorite wheel to trail riding, particularly technical trail riding.

Checkout my KS14S playlist on YouTube:

Archived