Advice on first wheel

wehey

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Are you asking how to adjust speed without registering or how to register? 

Either. 

I cant register and can’t see any way to adjust the speed without registering 

9 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

But it is easy to slap together a wheel untested and let the user base do the testing.  That’s what it looks like on the inside.  I think I found the right analogy now, like if you put together a pc yourself.  The insides remind me of a self put together PC.  Zero cable management.  

I used to build PCs, and I didn't bother managing cables either. Some of the best PCs I've ever owned... :P 

4 hours ago, wehey said:

I can’t change the speed settings without registering 

75738044-72B3-4C73-9CE5-E6F0A7D24CF2.jpeg

You have got to fill in your personal dates on My Account...

But recently there seams to be a bug....try as follows:

Try this workaorund in the ME -> MY Account Settings:

Tip from GoingPostal:

”Thanks so much for trying. I did finally get registered! For anyone that is still struggling with this, what I did was removed my email address from the user name field, and replaced it with my first and last name with a space between. Boom! It worked.”

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I used to build PCs, and I didn't bother managing cables either. Some of the best PCs I've ever owned... :P 

Poor cable management in your PC couldn't lead to your face hitting the pavement or dying.  

Ive sussed it out now.

for some reason it wast happy with me trying to register over wifi??

Anyways, I went out for my 2nd session today and it all came together for me.

I did 10 km in all and loved every minute.

i found a light gravel track that went of for a couple of miles and took it off the soft grass for the first time. I was amazed how easy it was compared to the slippy muddy field. I really felt like I nailed it. 

If you can pan a camera and film while riding, I think you got it:thumbup:

Grass is indeed harder, but maybe you learnt faster this way? The best way to get better is challenge yourself slightly above your comfort level, how about some offroad riding - think a dirt track through a forest or so. Not too fast, just enjoying the maneuvering, some uneven wavy ground, small roots to avoid, etc.. Inline routes also work well.

Whatever. Just ride and have fun!

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If you can pan a camera and film while riding, I think you got it:thumbup:

Grass is indeed harder, but maybe you learnt faster this way? The best way to get better is challenge yourself slightly above your comfort level, how about some offroad riding - think a dirt track through a forest or so. Not too fast, just enjoying the maneuvering, some uneven wavy ground, small roots to avoid, etc.. Inline routes also work well.

Whatever. Just ride and have fun!

There's was a bit of everything along the route. Steep hills and dirt tracks.

Hill starts were a bit of a challenge tho lol

This is my playground, literally 5 mins from my front door

IMG_1955.PNG

1 hour ago, wehey said:

Ive sussed it out now.

for some reason it wast happy with me trying to register over wifi??

Anyways, I went out for my 2nd session today and it all came together for me.

I did 10 km in all and loved every minute.

i found a light gravel track that went of for a couple of miles and took it off the soft grass for the first time. I was amazed how easy it was compared to the slippy muddy field. I really felt like I nailed it. 

im glad to hear you made it! :D your fun is only starting

i just cant avoid saying this... you feel confident i did too when it struck me. but you havent learned to have full control over it yet.. it felt like this for me too

try turning very sharply. do you feel its harder to turn?  or are you able to turn perfectly?

try these other things to see how much control you have

and count the points (you dont have to)

sharp turns without thinking about it.  (1 point)

looking behind you without loosing control  (1 point)

you can take off on one leg   (3 points)            (this one is a good benchmark, when you can do it without much trouble, then you have excellent control)

i stole a little from another post with the point system :P 

but its just a good little test

On 4/13/2018 at 2:04 AM, eddiemoy said:

Poor cable management in your PC couldn't lead to your face hitting the pavement or dying.  

And how many instances of face-on-pavement or deaths have we encountered so far? How many fried wire/fried circuit cut outs as compared to units sold?

I find Gotways QC-practices rather tiring. Especially the "this would have been so easy to avoid" shit we've seen in the MTen3 battery pack or the ACM/MSuper shenanigans.

But put in perspective, most accidents I've heard of so far are user behavior related. Disabling tilt-back, running at the edge...

50 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

And how many instances of face-on-pavement or deaths have we encountered so far? How many fried wire/fried circuit cut outs as compared to units sold?

I find Gotways QC-practices rather tiring. Especially the "this would have been so easy to avoid" shit we've seen in the MTen3 battery pack or the ACM/MSuper shenanigans.

But put in perspective, most accidents I've heard of so far are user behavior related. Disabling tilt-back, running at the edge...

i couldnt agree more

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

Yes, I agree that the got way user base seem to be more extreme and that is probably why we see more issues on gotway.  Don’t know what the numbers are compared to units sold.  All I know is if you have excessive vibration and cables that are not tied down bouncing around loose in the case, they eventually will fail.  I think if you are the only one that experience a failure, you would probably say it is too many.  But from reading this board, almost all gotway users blame themselves when they get into an accident. Never say that it is the wheel.  

sorry off topic.. see my signature. you will know why im so exited! :w00t2:

EDIT... ironically i just got up and had a dream the first time in a month... and it was about burning my new control board on a hill...

seems like my subconsious is warning me :rolleyes:

AFAIK the cables are tied down, just not as neatly as in KS-wheels. I have to say I admire the double shell design of KS. The GW way, which BTW mostly is the same in Rockwheel, is "cables goes from A to B, lets tie them down with a piece of scotch tape...".

On 13/04/2018 at 5:56 PM, Shad0z said:

im glad to hear you made it! :D your fun is only starting

i just cant avoid saying this... you feel confident i did too when it struck me. but you havent learned to have full control over it yet.. it felt like this for me too

try turning very sharply. do you feel its harder to turn?  or are you able to turn perfectly?

try these other things to see how much control you have

and count the points (you dont have to)

sharp turns without thinking about it.  (1 point)

looking behind you without loosing control  (1 point)

you can take off on one leg   (3 points)            (this one is a good benchmark, when you can do it without much trouble, then you have excellent control)

i stole a little from another post with the point system :P 

but its just a good little test

Do I get 0.5 points for a sharp turn to the right?

Sharp turns to the left are work in progress

45 minutes ago, wehey said:

Do I get 0.5 points for a sharp turn to the right?

Sharp turns to the left are work in progress

Don’t forget emergency braking as well - start gently and then try to brake harder, preferably with a well padded backside just in case ?. I found out the hard way I didn’t know how to stop quickly when a car turned fast on to a drive right in front of me without indicating. Falling flat on my backside certainly stopped me quick enough and my leash prevented the wheel hitting the car with possibly awkward insurance issues afterwards!

BTW your route around Cissbury Ring brought back memories, my parents retired (as one does) to Vale Walk, just across the A24 and I flew from Shoreham for many years.

B2D9874E-0C92-48AE-9E3F-3F67AC54256F.jpeg.e897937f5e28ce008b8ddcaa17c942eb.jpeg

Archived