840wh 18s Range

Scott Henley

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There's actually a pretty big difference between a 14-inch and 16-inch wheel, IMO.

I think the 16-inch wheel is the ideal general purpose wheel. All others are more specialized. Not that they all can't fill every need, but there are compromises.

You have a good plan though, and one that I follow. Have one of every size. So don't forget to get my favorite wheel - the Mten3 :clap3: 

I think you live in a more suburban area and you take more bike trails than I do? This is an actual question.

I live in an urban environment although within blocks of bike trails but also railways and bridges.

Whenever I take my KS16s, there is always a point where I'll say to myself, "oh my God, what was I thinking?!" Not enough range or too heavy, too fast or too slow, there always seems to be some point of the ride where I think I brought the wrong wheel. In contrast, either a 14 or an 18 (or 10 for nutters), you have no doubt you brought either the right wheel or the most wretched wheel. They work perfectly in most situations and you can live with the rest.

You kinda need all 1600 wh on these big wheels; while I can easily go 30 miles I usually suck my battery from 90 % to 50 % in my 5 miles by drag racing at stops and going inappropriately fast (I wear a sport bike helmet). Also I resemble @The Fat Unicyclist.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Also I resemble @The Fat Unicyclist.

Ooohh... That's awkward!  :huh:

Unfortunately (for you) l copyrighted my "form".  :P

My legal counsel will be in touch shortly.  :mellow:

I think you live in a more suburban area and you take more bike trails than I do? This is an actual question.

I live in an urban environment although within blocks of bike trails but also railways and bridges.

Whenever I take my KS16s, there is always a point where I'll say to myself, "oh my God, what was I thinking?!" Not enough range or too heavy, too fast or too slow, there always seems to be some point of the ride where I think I brought the wrong wheel. In contrast, either a 14 or an 18 (or 10 for nutters), you have no doubt you brought either the right wheel or the most wretched wheel. They work perfectly in most situations and you can live with the rest.

You kinda need all 1600 wh on these big wheels; while I can easily go 30 miles I usually suck my battery from 90 % to 50 % in my 5 miles by drag racing at stops and going inappropriately fast (I wear a sport bike helmet). Also I resemble @The Fat Unicyclist.

I live in suburbia, yet I ride in a lot of areas that could be considered urban, I think. Maybe I don't fully understand the distinction.

Kind of hard to believe you seriously drain your battery to 50% within 5 miles.

You know, we have pictures of @The Fat Unicyclist, including video. Why don't you post a little fly-by type video of yourself (maybe giving us the finger at just the right time :)). Then we can associate a face/figure with the legend. Are you as good looking as @The Fat Unicyclist:ph34r:

You've been here way too long to continue to be anonymous.

27 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I live in suburbia, yet I ride in a lot of areas that could be considered urban, I think. Maybe I don't fully understand the distinction.

He lives in a city where it freezes and thaws and rains a ton during certain seasons. The city really only has about 6 months where they can actually work on the roads due to inclement weather. The roads can be madness in certain areas with potholes and uneven cracks in the road. While the tracks are recessed in roadways they are very slippery as are bridges when wet.

However, today on my V8 I did have to jump a copper pipe that was strewn across the road as I was going down a long steep hill. I doubt I couldve jumped that with the ks18, but maybe it wouldn't have mattered to its larger tire. That is essentially what I think he is saying.

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You know, we have pictures of @The Fat Unicyclist, including video. Why don't you post a little fly-by type video of yourself (maybe giving us the finger at just the right time :)). Then we can associate a face/figure with the legend. Are you as good looking as @The Fat Unicyclist:ph34r:

I can understand how intimidating my beauty awesomeness can be... Perhaps @LanghamP should aim for a neck-down video? 

4 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

He lives in a city where it freezes and thaws and rains a ton during certain seasons. The city really only has about 6 months where they can actually work on the roads due to inclement weather. The roads can be madness in certain areas with potholes and uneven cracks in the road. While the tracks are recessed in roadways they are very slippery as are bridges when wet..

So why doesn't he move then? 

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I whole heartily agree with @KingSong69. Don't do it. In addition to his arguments I would add that KingSong's aggressive speed limiters that kick in when the battery level lowers, will kick in much sooner on the 840wh version.

Agreed! Nuff said...

10 hours ago, mezzanine said:

My vote is that the 840wh version is enough.

BOOOOOOOOOO!

7 hours ago, LanghamP said:

You kinda need all 1600 wh on these big wheels

YESSSSSSSSS!

:efee612b4b:

(my personal opinion)

Maybe make a poll: 840Wh KS18S is big enough - Yes or No.

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Kind of hard to believe you seriously drain your battery to 50% within 5 miles.

I'm sure you can drain the battery of any of your EUCs within minutes by doing your best Michael Jackson impression at every stop sign (bicyclists and EUC don't ever seem to stop at stop signs).

I'm sure you can drain the battery of any of your EUCs within minutes by doing your best Michael Jackson impression at every stop sign (bicyclists and EUC don't ever seem to stop at stop signs).

IMG_20151003_153743.jpg

Exactly why were you wearing that costume?

15 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Yes , I live in the “country “ more or less . Most of the pavement is country road and 4 lane Highway . Our town is fairly small. Maybe 4 miles from end to end . That’s all the sidewalk I’ve got . Lots of trails though , green way paths and hiking trails . So going 30+ miles would be almost impossible. I’d have to travel along some major roads to do so . 

I have just been out wheeling with @Luiz, last minute thing so didn't have time to fully charge the 840w/h 18s, started with 88%. We went from Devizes to Bath along the tow path alongside the Kennet and Avon canal, generally fairly flat but there were a few ups and downs, the route includes the longest flight of locks in the UK -

P1070946.JPG

Unfortunately the trail was rather muddy so lots of stoping and starting, carefully ploughing through mud and puddles (accompanied by appropriate amounts of swearing on my part), @Luiz ended up with quite a lot of the mud sprayed up the back of his legs and the MSuper, last hour or so in the dark, freezing cold (2deg C when i got back into my car), brief periods of speed on the concrete sections but  they were few and far between. 

I weigh in at just over 100kg sans clothes so probably 110kg with clothes and other clobber.

Just checked what i have left and 18s is on 44%, total distance 22 miles. Im very confident it would take even a biggish chap like me 30+ miles with enough left over to be safe, esp so in non arctic weather. 

If your travels are only going to be 20-30m yes it is nice to have the extra range, right up to the point where you have to pick the bloody thing up and carry it more than 5 feet. If i had my wish the manufacturers would put an external port and an isolator switch on the 840 versions so you could carry an external battery pack in a backpack and simply plug it in and switch over the supply when the built in one is flagging if you are going to need it but save the weight when you don't. 

38 minutes ago, nute said:

I have just been out wheeling with @Luiz, last minute thing so didn't have time to fully charge the 840w/h 18s, started with 88%. We went from Devizes to Bath along the tow path alongside the Kennet and Avon canal, generally fairly flat but there were a few ups and downs, the route includes the longest flight of locks in the UK -

P1070946.JPG

Unfortunately the trail was rather muddy so lots of stoping and starting, carefully ploughing through mud and puddles (accompanied by appropriate amounts of swearing on my part), @Luiz ended up with quite a lot of the mud sprayed up the back of his legs and the MSuper, last hour or so in the dark, freezing cold (2deg C when i got back into my car), brief periods of speed on the concrete sections but  they were few and far between. 

I weigh in at just over 100kg sans clothes so probably 110kg with clothes and other clobber.

Just checked what i have left and 18s is on 44%, total distance 22 miles. Im very confident it would take even a biggish chap like me 30+ miles with enough left over to be safe, esp so in non arctic weather. 

If your travels are only going to be 20-30m yes it is nice to have the extra range, right up to the point where you have to pick the bloody thing up and carry it more than 5 feet. If i had my wish the manufacturers would put an external port and an isolator switch on the 840 versions so you could carry an external battery pack in a backpack and simply plug it in and switch over the supply when the built in one is flagging if you are going to need it but save the weight when you don't. 

Wow, it must take all day for a boat to go through all those locks. Must be worth the hassle.

this is on topic. i don’t really care about the range debate(other than safety margin) but i noticed by ear, that the motor on the ks-16s and ks-18s sure seems to be working harder as u adjust the pedal stiffness from learning-cycling-expert or something like that. i just wonder what setting @Marty Backe had it on when doing the range test. the tire just says inflate to 45psi, so other than rider weight, rolling resistance of the terrain, slope and temperature sb about it. 

26 minutes ago, novazeus said:

this is on topic. i don’t really care about the range debate(other than safety margin) but i noticed by ear, that the motor on the ks-16s and ks-18s sure seems to be working harder as u adjust the pedal stiffness from learning-cycling-expert or something like that. i just wonder what setting @Marty Backe had it on when doing the range test. the tire just says inflate to 45psi, so other than rider weight, rolling resistance of the terrain, slope and temperature sb about it. 

I can't remember since I do vary the pedal setting based on the riding that I'm going to do and how I feel that day.

I'm told its a 6 hour operation to get through all the locks. Fascinating piece of engineering though as each one also has its own small reservoir pond to keep the water levels correct. It was a very nice ride but I imagine it would be stunning in the summer when all the trees are in leaf. Its the sort of ride where you need to time it to have a mid way break in one of the numerous pubs en route :D

On 2/3/2018 at 11:32 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

As The Fat Unicyclist© 's (hereby referred to as TFU©) attorney, I would direct all and any parties remotely resembling my client from refraining from openly  comparing themselves to "The Fat One©" in order to avoid lessening the brand-name and persona by infringing on TFU©'s international patents, trademarks and copyrights globally in place.  Pursuant to international copyright legislation articles 12.5G and 17.2F, my client reserves the right to the official TFU© physical form and likeness in perpetuity and is entitled legally to enjoy his registered characteristics unencumbered by those wishing to gain financially or otherwise by comparison.  Violators will be prosecuted to the full extent of international law.  :efef927839:

On 2/3/2018 at 9:52 PM, mezzanine said:

My vote is that the 840wh version is enough.  There's another user here who has one and has been very happy.  

I've been surprised at how important ride comfort and stability has become for me after experiencing the 18S.  I'm willing to deal with some of it's less convenient characteristics for the ride quality.  I'd take the 840wh 18S rather than a 16S in your shoes. 

I'm excited about the Z10 and believe I'll still own it, despite my disappointment at learning they're not using an 84v system, because I expect it to take comfort and stability to a whole new level.    

Thanks, seems like most don’t agree with this , but , I’m gonna take the risk . I’m also getting a GW MSuper V3 as well. (The older 67v version ) I’ll take the risk I’ve having the smaller battery and in the event it’s not enough I’ll just get another 800wh battery toss inside of it . I’ve debated his extensively and due to the price in getting it’s worth it to me . Plus the money I’m saving is allowing me to buy the MSuper too so I can see what all this hype is over GW wheels (for better or worse ) 

7 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Thanks, seems like most don’t agree with this , but , I’m gonna take the risk . I’m also getting a GW MSuper V3 as well. (The older 67v version ) I’ll take the risk I’ve having the smaller battery and in the event it’s not enough I’ll just get another 800wh battery toss inside of it . I’ve debated his extensively and due to the price in getting it’s worth it to me . Plus the money I’m saving is allowing me to buy the MSuper too so I can see what all this hype is over GW wheels (for better or worse

Welcome aboard :cheers:

2 wheels? Why not!:D

Though, be aware, the 67.2V Gotways are notably weaker/"worse" than the 84V. Just ask the Marty.

But if you want to have some variety and try stuff, do it:thumbup: This is exactly the kind of situation where the 840Wh make sense: range is (apparently) ok, and you spend the saved money on (part of) another wheel. Though I expected a Z10 or so instead of an old msuper V3;)

29 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Though, be aware, the 67.2V Gotways are notably weaker/"worse" than the 84V. Just ask the Marty.

But if you want to have some variety and try stuff, do it:thumbup: This is exactly the kind of situation where the 840Wh make sense: range is (apparently) ok, and you spend the saved money on (part of) another wheel. Though I expected a Z10 or so instead of an old msuper V3;)

The 67-volt MSuper is obviously not as good as the 84-volt series, but it's still a fantastic wheel. I enjoyed ~800-miles on mine.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I’ll still be getting a new wheel when the 18L and z10 are ready for the market . But I think I’m gonna gold off until I can get some real feedback from users experiences in regards to which one will suit me best . Yes the 67v has had its issues and is probably not as good as the newer V3s but again...it’s price I have in mind currently . And growing my collection to have a range of different wheels so I can find which one suits me best . And I’m getting a really good deal (you’ll just have to trust me on that ?) so I have to go for it ! 

30 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

I’ll still be getting a new wheel when the 18L and z10 are ready for the market . But I think I’m gonna gold off until I can get some real feedback from users experiences in regards to which one will suit me best . Yes the 67v has had its issues and is probably not as good as the newer V3s but again...it’s price I have in mind currently . And growing my collection to have a range of different wheels so I can find which one suits me best . And I’m getting a really good deal (you’ll just have to trust me on that ?) so I have to go for it ! 

Yes, you must build your collection to have at least one of every size available, regardless of brand. It's just too much fun to have a variety of wheels to pick from to suit your mood of the day :D

Archived