New Inmotion V10 / V10F

Pingouin

3 hours ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

I just got the info, that this is due to different used gyroscopes in the V5F compared to the V10F. So hopefully, this issue can be fixed via fw update. 

In how many batches, do you think, we could finally get to the point when all the kinks  (waterproofing, fire hazard, overloading, gyro errors, bad batteries fixation) would be finally ironed out? When will it be "safe to buy"?

Edited by eufp

6 hours ago, Demargon said:

needs a transmission between engine and wheel, adding weight, complexity, maintenance and

An ecvt is just three pulleys and a metal band and would easily be mimicked with software and a more complex control board. If it were a hardware conversion it may add up to an inch in width for an internal transmission of the ECVT type. (Electronic Controlled Variable Transmission) its whats in most hybrids from Nissan, Toyota, and Subaru, Honda, and the defunct Saturn.

Or you could design a new 4 phase motor with the 4th phase for Torque and Speed blasts. Maybe install a couple of motor driven drum wheels that can help upright the wheel or help brake depending on the circumstances too.

4 hours ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

I just got the info, that this is due to different used gyroscopes in the V5F compared to the V10F. So hopefully, this issue can be fixed via fw update.

Thanks @Bobwheel

You must mean gyroscopic sensors, becuase there are no physical gyros in these vehicles. I was told it was a gyroscopic circuit, so was he referring to the processor used for the circuit? That would indeed be a good candidate for fw updates.

I have no problem with InMotion using we the hardcore riders to improve their vehicles. I just wish they showed more initiative to improve their vehicles for us, as much as we want to improve the vehicle for all to use normally.

The V10 is the best potential EUC of the Summer of 2018. If InMotion can get off the fence and act like a Winner addressing the failures and fixing the vehicle to compete in the real world of Consumer usage, it will be.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

You must mean gyroscopic sensors, becuase there are no physical gyros in these vehicles. I was told it was a gyroscopic circuit, so was he referring to the processor used for the circuit? That would indeed be a good candidate for fw updates.

Whatever there is used - it must work as specified :)

2 hours ago, eufp said:

In how many batches, do you think, we could finally get to the point when all the kinks  (waterproofing, fire hazard, overloading, gyro errors, bad batteries fixation) would be finally ironed out? When will it be "safe to buy"?

Waterproofing, fire hazard and battery fixation have all been corrected in later batches already. The talk here is about how to deal with the first batch wheels. 

Gyro seems to be an issue for very rare riders. But that is probably not a hardware defect and not a matter of batches, just firmware update if needed. 

I don’t really know if the owners of later batches are reporting excessive overloading / overheating. And we still don’t really know what the problem is or will it be fixed if not already fixed. That seems to be the only possible hardware issue left. Not going to affect majority of riders, though. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Waterproofing, fire hazard and battery fixation have all been corrected in later batches already. The talk here is about how to deal with the first batch wheels. 

Gyro seems to be an issue for very rare riders. But that is probably not a hardware defect and not a matter of batches, just firmware update if needed. 

I don’t really know if the owners of later batches are reporting excessive overloading / overheating. And we still don’t really know what the problem is or will it be fixed if not already fixed. That seems to be the only possible hardware issue left. Not going to affect majority of riders, though. 

The problem is the lack of communication and information from Inmotion. There is no clear info on what batch fixes what, how many batches there were at all. What is the batch that is scheduled to arrive in a couple of weeks, whether it is a second batch where they knew nothing about fire, or whether that is an Nth batch where they fixed this and this and this. Where is a revision list with fixes?

My main concern is that we only get info from each other, what we learned on our countries' forums and dealerships. No central hub of information, no authority one could trust. You say that "probably not a hardware defect". But I do not want to depend on "probably" from a guy on an internet. The same is with fire. No explanation yet, no info what caused it and how they remedied it in a new batch (the one that comes now, or the next that has not yet been shipped?).

I hope you see the main problem we have here—lack of clear communication and lack of replies on the official emails, no info on the official sites. I do want to believe that everything will be fixed via firmware, that overload is fixed, but who is there to tell this? Where one has to write to get the info? I do not know who is the authority on the matters and who is competent to make such a statements and promises.

41NcbsUwtVL.jpg.eef2be2d37d87ba21f6e15ed58ac65b7.jpg

Edited by eufp
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eufp said:

I hope you see the main problem we have here—lack of clear communication and lack of replies on the official emails, no info on the official sites. I do want to believe that everything will be fixed via firmware, that overload is fixed, but who is there to tell this? Where one has to write to get the info? I do not know who is the authority on the matters and who is competent to make such a statements and promises.

I get that and I agree it would be better for them to be more active here. They could be more effective and serve past and future customers proactively. InMotion USA are actually pretty good at marketing and communication but I can see the need to do more on this forum. 

@Jeffrey Scott Will was just here explaining that they prioritise direct emails. You probably get a better and faster answer if you write him and ask. In my mind that feels unproductive as there are so many people who come here to find information and only get rumours and speculation. They could use this forum as a kind of FAQ and that would save them time answering emails. 

On the other hand I do understand that sometimes companies prefer direct contacts. This gets close to my day job also. My work comes very close to what Jeffrey is doing and I can relate with him. There are things that are more complicated than they seem. He might not get all the information he needs from the InMotion global company etc. 

I can see you are from Europe. You could just ask from the biggest distributors in Europe also. They are not very active here. InMotion global is not active in customer communication at all and InMotion USA should only serve their local customers. 

All this said, I really don’t understand why all the EUC companies don’t utilise this forum better. Nothing beats direct and open communication. There are so many potential buyers finding their way from Google to here in their search for information. 

Edit: I’ll add that the nature of these forums is not commercial. We certainly do not want company representatives jump in every thread recommending their wheels. But information in right place is welcome IMO. 

Edited by UniVehje
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

I get that and I agree it would be better for them to be more active here.

I am not only drawing from the experience of end users, there are also complaints from the dealers, that the information flow from Inmotion is very slow, incomplete, etc. Simply, as a customer, when we see such communication (in today's age!) towards distributors, consumers and potentioal customers... It is just a pityful bucket of lost opportunities and lost revenue and goodwill. :(

3 hours ago, eufp said:

The problem is the lack of communication and information from Inmotion. There is no clear info on what batch fixes what, how many batches there were at all. What is the batch that is scheduled to arrive in a couple of weeks, whether it is a second batch where they knew nothing about fire, or whether that is an Nth batch where they fixed this and this and this. Where is a revision list with fixes?

My main concern is that we only get info from each other, what we learned on our countries' forums and dealerships. No central hub of information, no authority one could trust. You say that "probably not a hardware defect". But I do not want to depend on "probably" from a guy on an internet. The same is with fire. No explanation yet, no info what caused it and how they remedied it in a new batch (the one that comes now, or the next that has not yet been shipped?).

Jeffrey clarified a few pages ago that the very latest batch (shipping in August?) already come with the polycarbonate battery casings, and presumably this water sealant fix. All other wheels sound like they should be recalled in coordination with your seller. We don't seem to have a rep here from outside the USA representing InMotion, so there's not much Jeffrey can do there without stepping on other teams' toes and making promises another team would have to honor..  I feel for the folks that bought the wheel from other vendors, but not withstanding a more regional forum that the vendor is active on, I don't know what else can be reasonably expected out of this particular forum's vendor representatives WRT the battery and sealant fixes (overloads on the other hand...). Maybe I've got some learning to do on how these InMotion 'franchises'? relate to the bigger corporation.

Edited by Glitched
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Glitched said:

Jeffrey clarified a few pages ago that the very latest batches already come with the polycarbonate battery casings, and presumably this water sealant fix.

You see, you are not even sure of whether the sealant was somehow upgraded in new batches. From other distributor I learned that they had put more sealant in the second batch, but it is looking the same. At the time that distributor did not know about battery housing. That is what I am talking about. No central information hub, everything is only on a need-to-know basis. :( Overload issue, seems, is the most eluding. Still, no definitive answer, steps taken etc.

Sorry I had to edit prior post, but Jeff stated it affects all wheels currently out, not just later batches. Details get lost on me sometimes...

ETA but I agree, this information should come out from InMotion central, not just the individual vendors. Shows you whose driving things...

Edited by Glitched

1 minute ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

All wheels mit serialno. 124xxxxx should be o.k.

And on my end, I have the information that the wheels starting with 124xxx ARE those with problems. Or I am also starting to get lost in all those shards of decentralized information?

3 minutes ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

Even telling the seller, which issues are known, they don't know yet.

Exactly! Some are surely clueless as to the specifics. They only use the information that Inmotion gives them, they do not press the Inmotion for answers, explanations etc. Just receive a shipment, sell it, rinse and repeat. Oh, sorry, do not rinse, these batches could be not yet waterproofed, we do not know—no definitive answers yet.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 7:34 AM, Jason McNeil said:

The quantity of V10Fs out in the wild is not massive, it should be containable. From what I understand, these water-resistance enhancing measures are primarily precautionary as a result of further internal testing from within Inmotion, [Edit, @houseofjob posted a story from London this morning where a V10F caught fire, http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/16417613.electric-unicycle-catches-fire-at-block-of-flats-in-deptford/] doesn't reduce the necessity of sealing joint between the shells.

After a several month production hiatus, there's a new batch of V10Fs arriving in US on August 21st, two days before the 25% tariffs are set to come into effect. This batch has several improvements, like this enhanced weather-protection built into them, although they have not gotten around to the handle-play issue yet....    

Curious what those improvements are to the August 21st batch shipment? I just got notified (by InMotion) that their August batch won't ship for another 2-3 months in order for them to apply the weather protections. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Glitched said:

Curious what those improvements are to the August 21st batch shipment? I just got notified (by InMotion) that their August batch won't ship for another 2-3 months in order for them to apply the weather protections. 

2-3 months!  Wow :o

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 2:50 AM, UniVehje said:

Here is the valve and the shoulder. I bought the cheapest extension from Ali and it works great. 

To be fair, InMotion engineers don’t design the valve, that comes with the inner tube. But they could source a better designed inner tube or include a fitting extension.  

1ACDEF40-993D-4653-8742-DB30B24317DA.jpeg

I wonder if this threader tool could be used to extend the threads further so regular extensions would work.  The tube likely would have to be removed though.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-in-1-Air-Tire-Valve-Stem-Tap-Tool-Threader-Repair-for-Car-Auto-Bike-Bicycle/634802946

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder if this threader tool could be used to extend the threads further so regular extensions would work.  The tube likely would have to be removed though.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-in-1-Air-Tire-Valve-Stem-Tap-Tool-Threader-Repair-for-Car-Auto-Bike-Bicycle/634802946

no the valve stem is like a mushroom collar.

i probably have a bench grinder here someplace and grinding down the female end of a ninebot extension would probably work or better inmotion show me how to do it.

i’ve got a couple plug in 12volt tiny compressors and one has a clip on end as opposed to screw on so i managed to get air in it. like 60 psi. no wonder it was a little wonky starting out.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That's probably the last thing that I'd want to do to my EUC tire, considering what could go wrong. But it's a good option to know about, and I wasn't aware of it.

However, may I suggest an easier solution that I actually use with some of my wheels (MSuper V3s+ in particular). I carry this with me on my rides. Made by Slime for ~$7. Available at Pep Boys, Amazon, and others I'm sure.

Slime 20332 Inflator Hose Adapter

71nnRdlZC-L._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's probably the last thing that I'd want to do to my EUC tire, considering what could go wrong. But it's a good option to know about, and I wasn't aware of it.

However, may I suggest an easier solution that I actually use with some of my wheels (MSuper V3s+ in particular). I carry this with me on my rides. Made by Slime for ~$7. Available at Pep Boys, Amazon, and others I'm sure.

Slime 20332 Inflator Hose Adapter

71nnRdlZC-L._SL1500_.jpg

yeah, that’s what is on the end of my little plug in 12volt. 

the stem is so short and u know we don’t like to horse around with them too much but it is possible to jamb the clip on valve adapter. a proper screw on is the fix for this crap stupid valve stem.

just please somebody tell me why u would put a shoulder at the base of the threads?

i wanna hear it

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yeah, that’s what is on the end of my little plug in 12volt. 

the stem is so short and u know we don’t like to horse around with them to much be it is possible to jambs the clip on valve adapter. a proper screw on is the fix for this crap stupid valve stem.

just please somebody tell me why u would put a shoulder at the base of the threads?

i wanna hear it.

You'll never get an answer to your question.

The Slime 1-1/4" valve extenders that I bought for the Z10 may work nicely for the V10. I noticed with the Z10 that I only had to apply a few turns to get a good connection. Might be worth a few bucks to try.

• Like 1