THE HELMET THREAD

Well, the battery on my V5F+ has more or less given in, so I use my bike instead. Actually kind of like the huffing now that my fitness level has become decent.

I've been tempted to deploy it just to test it but once you do, you'll have to buy a new one. If you find yourself in an accident your home insurance company will more than likely cover the cost of the replacement, depending on the circumstances, but if it triggers because of a false positive it might be more difficult to get them to pay up.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:54 PM, Esper said:

Hi Guys,
I'm planning on buying my first full face helmet. I've been waiting for this bad boi to be released to market and they allowed preorders recently.
I decided to go with the 'Master Chief' look.
LqTAu3L.png

Would say it's overkill, but for the speeds those Dualtrons go you are absolutely right to get a motorcycle grade helmet. You are hitting motorcycle speeds (it's just a motorcycle in disguise :) ) .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 11:08 AM, mezzanine said:

The impression I get is that the proprietary systems used by a company called 6D (probably the best) and Leatt and Bell, specifically, are considered a definite tier above MIPS-equipped helmets. 

I spend 6 months deciding what EUC I would get and now I'm patiently awaiting the arrival (z10). 

Protective gear is a big priority of mine.
I was gonna get the POC Coron air, but looking into it, I don't believe POC's SPIN tech is one bit safer than MIPS. 
Thanks to mezzanine I've looked into MX helmets instead of DH helmets and now I want that new 6D atp-2 helmet. 

However the price is up there too and knowing the 6D might be overkill so I keep pondering...

We'll never really know what the safest helmet is,  I'd rate full face helmets like this (based purely my own speculation):

1. 6D - the gold standard. especially new model, smaller with EPP as well as EPS liners, plus their ODS tech in-between: It seems legit.

2. Leatt/ Kali /Bell flex. They have the dual density foam but I don't believe Leatt or bells rotational tech is better than MIPS/SPIN

3. All MIPS / SPIN helmet's. They don't slow the impact (like ODS), but might reduce the rotational force a little.

Now the question I ask myself is can I afford the 6D or can I afford not to buy it?
I might go for the atp-1, or even the Leatt 5.5 

How do you like yours @mezzanine I'm fearing my long oval head won't fit the leatt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Treponema said:

I spend 6 months deciding what EUC I would get and now I'm patiently awaiting the arrival (z10). 

I was gonna get the POC Coron air, but looking into it, I don't believe POC's SPIN tech is one bit safer than MIPS. 
Thanks to mezzanine I've looked into MX helmets instead of DH helmets and now I want that new 6D atp-2 helmet. 

However the price is up there too and knowing the 6D might be overkill so I keep pondering...

We'll never really know what the safest helmet is,  I'd rate full face helmets like this (based purely my own speculation):

1. 6D - the gold standard. especially new model, smaller with EPP as well as EPS liners, plus their ODS tech in-between: It seems legit.

2. Leatt/ Kali /Bell flex. They have the dual density foam but I don't believe Leatt or bells rotational tech is better than MIPS/SPIN

3. All MIPS / SPIN helmet's. They don't slow the impact (like ODS), but might reduce the rotational force a little.

Now the question I ask myself is can I afford the 6D or can I afford not to buy it?

How do you like yours @mezzanine I'm fearing my long oval head won't fit the leatt.

Wouldn't just any cheap full face MC helmet suffice. After all, the speeds are nowhere near MC speeds.

• Like 1

@Ziiten Youre right we don't need SNELL.
But we need helmets with chin bars that are well suited for low-speed rotational impact's. So yeah. nr 3 on my list probably would suffice.
I guess a regular MC helmet is bigger and bulkier which would increase rotational force and defeat its purpose.

1 hour ago, Treponema said:

I agree with all your conclusions.  I didn't research the POC Coron because price was a factor and I couldn't find it discounted.  

I am a conservative rider and don't ride at speeds higher than 35km/h for the most part.  My choice of helmet might be overkill for my riding style and conditions.  Surprisingly, I would rather ride with my full-faced Leatt GPS 5.5 than my lighter and less bulky alternatives because I find the fit/comfort of a full-faced helmet superior.  

I was worried when I first tried on the Leatt because there was a pressure point on my forehead at the opening.  Fortunately, I went and read some reviews and found others had a similar problem initially, but were able to correct it by adjusting the padding down slightly.  Now I have an excellent fit and I would say my head tends to be more oval, too.  I had the exact same concern you do before deciding on the Leatt.  

When I first got an EUC, I felt like I needed to have all my safety gear figured out and purchased before I stepped foot on the wheel because I figured the most dangerous time for me as a rider would be as a beginner.  In retrospect, I wish I had waited to decide what safety gear to purchase until I had enough experience to make decisions about what trade-offs were worth it for my individual priorities.  For example, I was looking for elbow/knee pads, etc.. prior to buying an EUC, but I don't think I'd wear them even if I owned them.  

Knowing what I know now, I might sacrifice some of the safety advantage of the 6D for the lightness of a Kali Shiva 2.0, although I'm not super impressed with my Kali Maraka and it's turned me off the company a bit.  

The Leatt is a really good balance of price/safety/size.  I see you're not in the US and it might be harder to find a good deal on a 6D in Denmark.  I'd have probably got a 6D otherwise.  It depends on how significant price is as a factor for you.  Price was a big factor for me.  I didn't want to go much past $200.

1 hour ago, mezzanine said:

find a good deal

Finding a good deal is nearly impossible here in Europe and especially Denmark. 
I can find the Kali Shiva 2.0 but cannot find the Leatt GPX 5.5. I can however find Leatt GPX 4.5. I think the only difference is shell material
Kali manages rotational impact with armourgel. same as in Leatt. Leatt however also has its turbines, so it would seem like Leatt is the better pick, or am i missing something?

5 minutes ago, Treponema said:

Finding a good deal is nearly impossible here in Europe and especially Denmark. 
I can find the Kali Shiva 2.0 but cannot find the Leatt GPX 5.5. I can however find Leatt GPX 4.5. I think the only difference is shell material
Kali manages rotational impact with armourgel. same as in Leatt. Leatt however also has its turbines, so it would seem like Leatt is the better pick, or am i missing something?

I tried comparing the Leatt and Kali but couldn't find any published data on their effectiveness at reducing rotational impacts.  I believe only 6D provides actual data, although I remember reading something about a german forum having done some independent testing that you might want to look for.  

You could contact an Ebay seller and asking whether they'd label a helmet an "inexpensive gift" for customs purposes.  One reason to consider going with a motocross helmet is that the market is much bigger than the DH bike helmet market.  I originally wanted a DH bike helmet for the (potential) weight savings, but could find much better deals on MC helmets because there are so many more of them and often the weight difference isn't significant compared to a DH model.  

Another place to check might be chainreactioncycles because they often have discounts are based in Europe.  In fact, now that I think of it, I believe there are a couple of German helmet sellers that might offer discounted retail options.  

I believe the GPX 4.5 is a totally different helmet than the 5.5.  The 6.5 is identical to the 5.5 except for the shell material being carbon.  Carbon is often much more expensive for very marginal weight reduction.  A poor value proposition on most of the helmets I checked.  

Also, unless you're going to be riding a 100V Monster at 50+ km/h, we might be over-analyzing the need for high-end impact tech for general EUC purposes. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm big on brain safety, which is why I did a lot of research and bought a good helmet, but the reality of my day-to-day riding is less dangerous than someone riding MC or even DH biking. 

I've gone from wanting the best 6D helmet on the market to thinking something like a MET Parachute might be the ideal EUC helmet when comfort is a factor.  I don't regret having the Leatt because ultimately when you put a helmet on your head you generally forget about it, which makes all options equal and safety the most important consideration once you adapt to wearing it.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ziiten said:

Wouldn't just any cheap full face MC helmet suffice. After all, the speeds are nowhere near MC speeds. 

Not at all. Helmets for different activities are optimized to different crash scenarios to prevent different kinds of injuries. Motorcycle helmets are designed mainly to prevent skull fractures in high speed crashes; the shells are very hard, and the liners are highly resilient but very stiff. Bike (and ski & skate) helmets are designed for lower speed impacts, with the goal of preventing concussions; they have shells that shatter/break, and liners that break or deform to absorb energy.  A motorcycle helmet isn't going to do much to prevent or ameliorate a concussion.  If you want a more complete explanation of these things, helmets.org is a good resource.

Edited by Shemp
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Shemp said:

Not at all. Helmets for different activities are optimized to different crash scenarios to prevent different kinds of injuries. Motorcycle helmets are designed mainly to prevent skull fractures in high speed crashes; the shells are very hard, and the liners are highly resilient but very stiff. Bike (and ski & skate) helmets are designed for lower speed impacts, with the goal of preventing concussions; they have shells that shatter/break, and liners that break or deform to absorb energy.  A motorcycle helmet isn't going to do much to prevent or ameliorate a concussion.  If you want a more complete explanation of these things, helmets.org is a good resource.

Helmets.org is a good resource, but it isn't nearly as clear as you suggest that bike/ski/skate helmets are superior at preventing concussions.  Give me a 6D motocross helmet with their proprietary tech over a ski/skate/bicycle helmet any day for concussion level impacts.  

@Treponema have you found a helmet yet?

Right now I use 2 types of TSG helmets. My full face is TSG Pass acid yellow. My city traffic hel.et is a TSG Solid. In this thread you see my earlier posts about why I chose these.

Now after using these I am beginning to consider a modular helmet e.g.. Ruroc and their new snow series. I forgot their name of the series. Now the main reason why I consider this is, yes a trade off in safety maybe, but having a more flexible solution I can easier change to the surroundings I am in. Like when I took the ferry to Denmark fro. Sweden this summer. Too hot for a full face but my TSG Pass is supiour in windy weather and open cycle lanes. I almost always have my backpack with me so I can easily have modules with me that is not mounted on the helmet.

From what I gather these might not use best impact absorbing foam at least from TSG reason for choice in their construction. Whether this is right or wrong or not I can tell as of now.

These are the ones I had a look at. https://www.ruroc.com/en/14-rg1-dx-helmets

Edited by Unventor

49 minutes ago, Unventor said:

These are the ones I had a look at. https://www.ruroc.com/en/14-rg1-dx-helmets

@Unventor I previously posted this photo here of my current selection of helmets including the TSG Pass and Two RG1-DX helmets from Ruroc. I can highly recommend the Ruroc's for their versatility and of course you already know how good the TSG Pass is! 

Helmet Collection.jpg

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, fbhb said:

@Unventor I previously posted this photo here of my current selection of helmets including the TSG Pass and Two RG1-DX helmets from Ruroc. I can highly recommend the Ruroc's for their versatility and of course you already know how good the TSG Pass is! 

Helmet Collection.jpg

Ohhh yes I forgot about that. So I guess you are a perfect person to ask.

How would you rate the Google's vs visor between the RG-DX and Pass.

I guess I have been unlucky as I have some chips on the lower edge and a scratch in the silver coating on my visor. As the visor follow the contour of the helmet. Making it very streamlined and aerodynamic. So I wonder if the googles are more protected from scratches due to being a bit sunk in if you like.

2 minutes ago, Unventor said:

How would you rate the Google's vs visor between the RG-DX and Pass.

I guess I have been unlucky as I have some chips on the lower edge and a scratch in the silver coating on my visor. As the visor follow the contour of the helmet. Making it very streamlined and aerodynamic. So I wonder if the googles are more protected from scratches due to being a bit sunk in if you like.

The goggles are comfortable to wear, really well designed and constructed using Ruroc's Magloc lens that clips in place magnetically. They do not tend to pick up scratches or marks anywhere near as easily as the TSG visor, but if necessary,  can be swapped out in seconds to replace to for example a clear lens or one with a different coloured tint. I also answered the question asked previously by another forum member, as to whether as a spectacle wearer he would be able to fit his spectacles underneath the goggles? The answer is yes, depending on how large the frames are, but I was able to test this out for him and could fit my reading glasses under the goggles in relative comfort. Hope that helps, but feel free to ask for any other details/opinions on the Ruroc helmet. The Ruroc company is a really forward thinking switched on outfit with fantastic customer service and an ever increasing product line. (P.S. I do not have any affiliation to Ruroc, I just really love the product)

• Like 2

On 7/25/2018 at 6:32 PM, mezzanine said:

I know they're a popular option here, but that Ruroc is a good example of what I would try to avoid in a helmet.  It looks closer to a street bike helmet than a motocross helmet, which likely makes it heavier and with poor ventilation, while lacking any of the newer low-impact tech.  Better than not having a chin guard, but would rank near the bottom of my list if I had to come up with one based on the helmets mentioned in this thread.  

The reflective Ruroc looks pretty damn cool though...

38039085_845710128955399_393235933909588

Mask impact tested to -20! 

-20 what?

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Unventor said:

@Treponema have you found a helmet yet?

Nah not quite yet. I've considered the tsg pass too
Since the leatt 5.5 is as pricey as the 6d atp1. I think i'll either go for the Kali or the leatt 4.5. It lacks the 5.5 's ventilation, but has the same safety features as the 5.5

And @mezzanine thanks for the tips. I was looking at those sites already and you're damn right we're over-analyzing. We'll probably be just fine with most helmets with a chin bar.
but since most mips helmets are priced similarly to the ones mentioned above, i might as well get one of those.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Treponema said:

I think it's minus 20 degrees celcius. scroll down to the spec's 

In short this is what I like about my TSG Pass helmet. My choice if colour, acid yellow, make me very visual in city traffic. Due to being made by fibreglass it is reasonable light about 960ish g. But it is very very regid. So there is no give what so ever on the chinguard. 

It does get hot if there is low to little airflow. I fix this by lifting visor a bit at red lights.once the air is exchanged I close the visor again.

So depending of preference. Closed visor means shielding of strong wind flow. Either from speed or windy conditions. This leads to you (Or I) tend to get speedblind easier. 

Hope this helps you to decide either way @Treponema

Now I might pop down to Cph one of weekends this month. I can bring my helmet if I do, as I will bring my KS18L. I have not 100% decided yet.