THE HELMET THREAD

We both ordered the Giro Switchblade, the one of my wife arrived yesterday, I am impressed by the quality and definition of the helmet, looks very high quality ... I would love to try it on but that won't work ;) the size is too small, she is happy with how it fits her head... 

I have to wait on mine still, but I'll let you know what I like about it and don't.. 

cheers

CL

On 9/21/2018 at 4:21 PM, Yffisch said:

Today I finally bought a helmet with mouth protection. I was using it today when I went home from work and I felt ridiculously safe with it. Now I have total full protection and it felt like I do not care if the wheel cuts me off in 30kmh++. A very nice relief.

My only problem is that it feels soooo big. It fits perfectly on my head, but the whole helmet is quite big in its design.

I prefer to be safe before looking good though since I use my wheel 10-15km everyday at least. In heavy traffic and rain and wet leaves.

Do you think it looks stupid? I mean it is just 30-35kmh. But i'm soo scared of destroying my teeth and face. I have been falling twice. One minor fall without any damage and one major accident with a lot of scratches and blood and destroyed clothes. I don't want it to happen again.

20180921_160527.jpg

Some good points and I sure do understand the reasoning behind it have knocked out teeth before and expensive visits to dentists, operations to the bone and later attaching fake teeth in the bone.

But no question there is a big adjustment going from the simple high sitting bicycle helmet on the top of the head vs a covering thing, shinguard and the whole shebang. But I must also stress that ultimate general safety is a very complex area, soon as strapping that on your head you also limit your peripheral view in a way you are not using the simple bicycle helmet which in itself is not a safe addition. Safety though could be discuss endlessly, circle style and each man have got his own ideas and God knows there is plenty of reviews and test out there, some not going in the same direction I strongly suspect?

For me it is also very important to prevent the accident, that mean I must have my sense on full alert at all times and to me the peripheral view is extremely important, most of our vision is either near, mid far peripheral and almost scary to think about how little of the eye we use actually focusing on something. It's not hard to see why the peripheral is also very important it's our first warning something is entering the zone so to speak, plug my ears?

To each his own I suppose, if next wheel after MSX is even more powerful, faster me too will be forced to conciser something fully covered but more models come all the time so with a bit of luck more helmets will be created that also fit our needs very well. Motocross style, a lighter MTB/downhill helmet with shinguard  is what I am looking for but cannot decide just yet so bought a cheap no brand helmet looking like that to try, see how it feels and was also very open around my vision allowing me the full 100-110 degree to the sides + lots up and down.

I don't think it's prio number 1, but yes it looks good! :)

On 9/21/2018 at 4:21 PM, Yffisch said:

Do you think it looks stupid? I mean it is just 30-35kmh.

35 km/h is enough to seriously injure. 

In this Swedish study, about pedestrians struck by vehicles, over 30% of severe injury accidents occur in speed environments below 35 km/h. 

they found no statistically significant difference in mean speeds between the locations with minor and severe injuries (p = 0.114)  and they speculate that its because the mean age of the pedestrians who suffer minor injuries is much lower than of those who suffer severe injuries. (since they found that severity and age correlates)

I know..I know it's just one study and extrapolating to EUC accidents is a problem. but I don't see a study about EUC accidents happening anytime soon.

I like my stupid helmet.

Edited by Treponema
  • Like 1

Yesterday I received my helmet : Giro switchblade black.

For all the different sports I have been doing, kitesurfing, paragliding, motorbike, mountainbike I had quite a few different helmets.. So I was quite curious how this helmet would be compared to the others.. In fact I never liked wearing helmets.. But safety is a big deal so I try to always wear them.. 

For some reason I always was annoyed with helmets, their is always something that didn't really feel right, a button here a seam there... 

I definitely need more experience with the switchblade but I have to say this is the best helmet quality wise I have had (ok I admit I never really bought very expensive 1000dollar motorbike helmets before  but I always went for a good price/quality one) , it has a very high finished standard  and looks very good.

It's not that easy to get into, a bit stiff but once you slide your head in, it's locked in to place.. It sits very comfortable, I went for a 2,5 hour ride yesterday and the helmet sat perfectly, I am impressed so far.. 

need more time to learn more about the pro and cons but it feels very nice !

Bought one for my wife, and she completely agrees so far..

7074581.jpg.fd8df44776114b211992408b2d7d7346.jpg

I found that I much prefer the fit of a full-face helmet, even though theoretically a smaller, lighter helmet should be more comfortable.  

Someone mentioned earlier that the Leatt GPX 4.5 helmet has the same safety features of the 5.5 for $230 US.  I'm not sure if it' always did or if it's just the 2019 version, but that makes the 4.5 a great value,.  

4 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Does anyone find themselves being stopped by police more often when wearing a full face helmet vs. a regular bike helmet?

I have seen police a few times while riding, but none have ever taken action on me. The closest encounter was a few weeks back at a pasta restaurant when I were picking up my lunch. Both officers just looked at me while took on my TSG Pass helmet as they were waiting for their orders to be taken. But since EUC is classed in Swedish traffic law as e-bikes I think they don't spee time on us unless you draw their attention by driving too fast or unsafe. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Unventor said:

I have seen police a few times while riding, but none have ever taken action on me. The closest encounter was a few weeks back at a pasta restaurant when I were picking up my lunch. Both officers just looked at me while took on my TSG Pass helmet as they were waiting for their orders to be taken. But since EUC is classed in Swedish traffic law as e-bikes I think they don't spee time on us unless you draw their attention by driving too fast or unsafe. 

How do you like the pass?  My worries are the sun (do the visors protect your eyes)?

Or, can the visors be removed and use goggles like ski/ snowboard helmet?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jfree13 said:

How do you like the pass?  My worries are the sun (do the visors protect your eyes)?

Or, can the visors be removed and use goggles like ski/ snowboard helmet?

I’ve been experimenting with my new Bell Super DH helmet and Alluy Park goggles. The straps for the goggles will not fit inside the helmet so I configured a new velcro elastic strap system that attaches to the outside.  I still need to try it out. 

31063433258_00e022ca26_b.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I’ve been experimenting with my new Bell Super DH helmet and Alluy Park goggles. The straps for the goggles will not fit inside the helmet so I configured a new velcro elastic strap system that attaches to the outside.  I still need to try it out. 

31063433258_00e022ca26_b.jpg

Very nice!  I’m debating between the pass or a Ruroc, the roc is pricier upfront but is quite modular and I ski as well so I’m leaning that way... but who says you can’t use a dh while skiing?!?

• Upvote 1

On 8/30/2018 at 1:15 AM, fbhb said:

@Unventor I previously posted this photo here of my current selection of helmets including the TSG Pass and Two RG1-DX helmets from Ruroc. I can highly recommend the Ruroc's for their versatility and of course you already know how good the TSG Pass is! 

Helmet Collection.jpg

I am sorry if you answered before, but why switch from Ruroc to the TSG for euc riding?

7 hours ago, jfree13 said:

I am sorry if you answered before, but why switch from Ruroc to the TSG for euc riding?

The TSG Pass fit my head very snug, meaning it is a little hard to enter. Once on the head it sits perfect though. However as of now I use either a TSG Pass or TSG Solid (a city bike helmet) but I always have to make a choice, full face or open helmet. With the Ruroc I can adapt as I go and add a BT audio to helmet. My TSG Pass fit so tight the any headset pops out when I put on the helmet. I just don't like black helmets that is why I didn't go for Ruroc in the first place and the price tag.

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2018 at 7:17 AM, Unventor said:

Suspect there more to come law wise here in Sweden?

These do not have 250w, neither do they do max 25km/h, but yeah there is that exception about self balancing vehicles but I dare hold my laughter the day the law makers find out my wheel can touch upon 60km/h at times, ohh well then 59.6km/h since that is max I have done so far (app speed I mean)?

Then again, perhaps better if classified properly and in their own class, license, insurance and no one can argue at all, if even allowed to get their own class that is? Atm it feels so so at least to me, cops not been bothering me ta all this is true, but what if someone get lay their eyes on me going by like a well oiled lightning down the street? I swear mr officer, just looks faster that it is, ohh by the way it may be fast but again I swear, would never use the speed? :D

I want better clarity myself, but also no prohibition so???

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Electroman said:

Suspect there more to come law wise here in Sweden?

These do not have 250w, neither do they do max 25km/h

I want better clarity myself, but also no prohibition so???

Well selfbalancing electrical vehicles in Swedish traffic law has no engine limit but are not allowed to be able to go faster than 20kmh, so due this it limits what can be sold and used legal. You can register it as a e-moped or e-motorcycle but what do is you can't go on bikelanes. So atm I try to avoid to draw attention by police. And hope the law will change to better allow safely powered and userfrendly and practical EUCs. I do agree a licence to ride would benefit all. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Electroman said:

Ok so 20 then, yeah would be nice hope the law can benefit us, prohibition of powerful wheels would be a nightmare. :(

Due not going oof- topic please see my PM to you. 

I have both the TSG Pass Pro Carbon Fiber (two months) and Bell Super 3R (one year+). I bought the TSG for cold weather but have been wearing it whenever temps drop below 60F/15.5C. It's very snug and fits your head like a glove. The visibility and ventilation are excellent, and the visor is coated to prevent/reduce fogging. One thing I really notice is the aerodynamics: there is almost no wind noise or wind shear; the air just glides over and around the helmet, which enhances hearing ability.

The antiquated double D-Ring closure on the chin strap is a pain to use, especially with gloves, but it's not a big issue since the helmet requires effort to put on anyway. My head is very aerodynamic, but I suspect that those with bushy manes (like @kour who owns the same helmet) may have more of a challenge :laughbounce2:. Because the Pass (Pro) is so snug, it is difficult to wear (sun)glasses that do not have strong, flexible straight temples (like Oakleys for example).

The tinted, mirrored visor/windscreen is of good quality and snaps stiffly into position like a quality motorcycle helmet. The Bell Super line has an adjustable visor/duckbill that offers shade from the sun, but the TSG visor also does a good job of reducing glare. The TSG helmet does not have MIPS like the Bell Supers, but unless there is a blunt impact I think the smoothness and quality might mitigate some of the damage. With the Bell, the open chin guard and bill might sharply deflect the helmet and cause twisting of the head and neck. Also, there is some debate as to whether MIPS really matters as discussed elsewhere on this site. The Pass helmets are CE-rated for bikes and skateboards only, but they are also ASTM F1952 certified for downhill use. There are a couple relevant disclaimers in the two TSG helmet owner's manuals:

INTENDED USE: The Pass helmet with visor is intended for downhill skateboarding or downhill biking use only. The visor is intended to provide protection from wind, dirt, mud, sun and impact. Do not use this visor on road when driving.

APPLICATIONS: The TSG Pass helmets are designed for use in non-motorized recreational sports such as skateboarding and pedal cycling. All TSG helmets fully comply with international safety regulations.

The TSG Pass Pro Carbon Fiber weighs a bit less (about 50-60g) than the regular Pass at less than 1kg, but it's still heavier than the Super 3R at 750g or so. I bought mine from Zeitbike.com (Hallo Fritz!) and highly recommend them. They are the US distributor for TSG and sell lots of safety gear and apparel on Amazon under a different name. The TSG Pass and Pro are hard to find at the moment as TSG will be refreshing their line-up soon.

Both helmets are very stylish, but the TSG Pass is probably the coolest-looking helmet on the market.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Looking at this wondering if it is a good option...

https://www.ruroc.com/en/atlas-helmets/414-sport-road.html

Cheaper than the Ruroc Core i am looking at once I've added the Bluetooth speakers.  The only downside is it's not modular, but then I've heard the modular can be a pain and i can't see myself often using it without the chin attachment.