THE HELMET THREAD

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

TSG Pass Carbon Pro is lighter, follow this link: https://www.ridetsg.com/shop/pass-pro-carbon-graphic-design----bonus-visor-/79028-40-418/

TSG Pass Standard is heavier, follow this link: https://www.ridetsg.com/shop/pass-solid-color----bonus-visor-/79020-60-147/

I have the Standard construction TSG pass and love everything about this helmet and do not find it too heavy. You maybe able to get an opinion on the Carbon version from Forum member @Cannings, I know that he has the Pro Carbon model. Hope the information helps you make your helmet choice.

Thank you.

I constantly reassess my needs in terms of safety gear and believe the time has come to maybe go full face with visir, as long as I can hear well through it and not fog up and obviously light weight I think I need to make the switch, appreciate it.

Edited by Electroman

• 2 weeks later...

`I am thinking a helmet with chin protection would be a good move. I don't want a motorcycle helmet. The motocross helmets allow for greater peripheral vision  and hearing BUT I HATE the flat protruding visors!. Can they be taken off leaving just the round helmet part and chin guard?

On 5 October 2018 at 2:41 AM, Esper said:

I'm pretty sure this thread's OP @Smoother ordered about 10 different helmets trying to get one that fit properly. All through online and shipping. He may be able to tell you more.

'Fraid not. Not only did I only buy the one helmet, I have only worn it once.  It's in storage now about 50 miles from me.  I may have started the thread, but I'm no helmet authority.

Edited by Smoother
Typos

On 10/22/2018 at 2:53 PM, Jerome said:

`I am thinking a helmet with chin protection would be a good move. I don't want a motorcycle helmet. The motocross helmets allow for greater peripheral vision  and hearing BUT I HATE the flat protruding visors!. Can they be taken off leaving just the round helmet part and chin guard?

I own 2 helmets that I like and are slightly different... the BELL S3 and the FOX Proframe. Both are light weight BMX helmets and I definitely recommend either... I do not ride EVER without a helmet, I have never had a "faceplant", but if or when I do, I an not willing to guarantee a trip to the oral surgeon and/or plastic surgeon as well as the ER. 

The Bell has a removable chin guard, the adjuster inside the helmet is a thumbwheel in the rear that allows you to tighten the fit till it feels good. The visor is removable and it is my "go-to" helmet most of the time, I highly recommend it.

The Fox chin guard is not removable but the visor is, the fit is adjusted with exchangeable foam pieces inside the helmet (3 sets of diff sizes are included). My main issue which is good and bad with this helmet is it has a very high level of ventilation. The first time I wore it was in the evening, I ran through some small "gnat swarms"... the ventilation allowed them to get inside the helmet, specifically in my ears. The issue is, unlike the Bell that has an opening directly across from your ear, the Fox does not. I have had this happen with the Bell but with the opening I was able to dig the bastards out with my finger. I have a cap like Marty with the the neck flap, when I use that this particular problem went away...

As far as safety, they both have "MIPS"... look it up if you do not know what this is. There is different opinions regarding this safety feature as possibly being more of a marketing tool than a safety item, but I can tell you I feel very comfortable and safe with both and have no problem recommending either, in my mind, anyone not using a full face helmet that has a faceplant, WILL wear one after they do if they continue to ride... just my opinion :whistling:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

'Fraid not. Not only did I only buy the one helmet, I have only worn it once.  It's in storage now about 50 from me.  I may had started the thread, but I'm no helmet authority.

My apologies. Looking back, it was @ir_fuel that had ordered several helmets only to return them because they were not the right fit.

Silly question perhaps considering we have the google and all that, still though it will not help me to the degree I am looking for this time around and noticed some things like this can be available on places I am not thinking of and a priority @ Google hits?

I want a new helmet, this time covered, aka full face not just the motocross/MTB downhill styled open with chin guard, been looking at the most known variants looking what I am looking for but still seams to be TSG I should go for?

This helmet look ok to me but I see the big slit for ventilation + cut outs for the ears which is a very smart idea to me looking to hear my environment best I can?

This specific TSG Pass variant though is by far the best looking one according to me personal taste, I want a full black helmet but small red graphics I can accept and a nice color if mixing with black carbon. So does anyone where I can find it at best possible price in EU and in stock right now, I measure 58 around my head and from what I can read online I should go for L/XL?  I suppose my head is pretty normally built without features such a big nose, big forehead or anything out of the "ordinary" that could mess with the fit even if helmet would otherwise fit? Ahh hard to explain what I mean in this language just comes out wrong hahaha.. :lol:

If everyone who have one of those Carbons in stock insist it must cost a heck lot more than what I can find the Carbon with green/yellow graphics on then I can consider just that too, heck I can consider standard Pass too no problem if price is right and availability rule too I suppose, other than cost I mean and I am a sucker for black on black, or as much of the black as can get. I know it's not the best in traffic, if I ever start riding evening/nights or winter when dark early here I will also consider active ways to be seen as well as reflectivity.

So ideas on cheapest possible Pass and preferably the Carbon with red but open minded, sure I could buy  very expensive too no problem but something inside  become like a child when I see super high prices, actually up there with real genuine motorcycle helmets from know manufacturers with years in the business, this is is what is getting to me and why they try to squeeze out the same money for one of those small McDonald's burgers that could also feed me file Mignon at a decent restaurant. Ok now I just want a speedy snack but you get the point, charge me for that speedy snack then, it is principles but I suppose I have a a number passing for acceptable in my head already just want to check the market first.

Anyone?

4 hours ago, Marcglider said:

I own 2 helmets that I like and are slightly different... the BELL S3 and the FOX Proframe. Both are light weight BMX helmets and I definitely recommend either... I do not ride EVER without a helmet, I have never had a "faceplant", but if or when I do, I an not willing to guarantee a trip to the oral surgeon and/or plastic surgeon as well as the ER. 

The Bell has a removable chin guard, the adjuster inside the helmet is a thumbwheel in the rear that allows you to tighten the fit till it feels good. The visor is removable and it is my "go-to" helmet most of the time, I highly recommend it.

The Fox chin guard is not removable but the visor is, the fit is adjusted with exchangeable foam pieces inside the helmet (3 sets of diff sizes are included). My main issue which is good and bad with this helmet is it has a very high level of ventilation. The first time I wore it was in the evening, I ran through some small "gnat swarms"... the ventilation allowed them to get inside the helmet, specifically in my ears. The issue is, unlike the Bell that has an opening directly across from your ear, the Fox does not. I have had this happen with the Bell but with the opening I was able to dig the bastards out with my finger. I have a cap like Marty with the the neck flap, when I use that this particular problem went away...

As far as safety, they both have "MIPS"... look it up if you do not know what this is. There is different opinions regarding this safety feature as possibly being more of a marketing tool than a safety item, but I can tell you I feel very comfortable and safe with both and have no problem recommending either, in my mind, anyone not using a full face helmet that has a faceplant, WILL wear one after they do if they continue to ride... just my opinion :whistling:

Thanks, good info! 

16 hours ago, Electroman said:

So ideas on cheapest possible Pass and preferably the Carbon with red but open minded, sure I could buy  very expensive too no problem but something inside  become like a child when I see super high prices, actually up there with real genuine motorcycle helmets from know manufacturers with years in the business, this is is what is getting to me and why they try to squeeze out the same money for one of those small McDonald's burgers that could also feed me file Mignon at a decent restaurant. Ok now I just want a speedy snack but you get the point, charge me for that speedy snack then, it is principles but I suppose I have a a number passing for acceptable in my head already just want to check the market first.

Anyone?

Hey @Electroman with you looking to buy a TSG Pass in Europe, maybe Amazon Germany would be your best option if you follow this link: https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tsg+pass

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FabulousJason said:

RuRoC chrome helmet. 

15404621721675962642825522003660.jpg

I like the goggles being independent of the helmet as I convert my Bell the same way. What I don’t like is the impaired vision I get when turning my head to glance over my shoulder when riding.  

43732431050_522d46b73b_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I like the goggles being independent of the helmet as I convert my Bell the same way. What I don’t like is the impaired vision I get when turning my head to glance over my shoulder when riding.  

43732431050_522d46b73b_b.jpg

Instead of goggles, I switched to sunglasses which doesn't impaired my vision.

7 hours ago, fbhb said:

Hey @Electroman with you looking to buy a TSG Pass in Europe, maybe Amazon Germany would be your best option if you follow this link: https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tsg+pass

Thanks, yes I saw some there earlier, even a black Pass (the standard variant) with what looks like grey or black TSG text on it which I like, just so expensive for that price I likely go for Carbon. ..or a black with white text and just see if I like it, if I do maybe a Carbon with red graphics later?

Looks like L is my size but it's a bit of a chance I get that, do not want to send back but it is online business so cannot try it out first.

The Star Wars Stormtroopers were modeled on the German WWII Sturmmann. They're space Nazis!

It's amazing to me that so relatively soon after WWII (my parents grew up in WWII) people think it's cool to look like a space Nazi.

5 hours ago, Electroman said:

Is this site trustworthy, anyone?

Also anyone who have a Pass Carbon Large that can tell me how big their head is, measurement I mean?

I have the TSG Pass Pro Carbon Shoot sized Large. My head is 58cm, and I have very short hair. The helmet is very snug, so you may consider an XLarge if you have significant hair volume. It 's a very nice helmet, though, and it definitely gets attention. See my post above for more details.

• Like 2