My KS18S Review and Ongoing Observations

Marty Backe

6 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

There are some of those comparisons here. I have owned a V3 67Volt and the 18S at the same time and also know the V3s+.

Cruising, commuting, reliability=18S, a smaller, easier moveable wheel for mountain or  offroad tracks=V3(s).

More to read in my 18S review(diary).

To the 40-50kmh Lock "feature"...i guess we can all agree it might be meant good...but is stupid done/implemented! 

now lets see/hear/read more of Marty's experience ;-)

@KingSong69, I can't recall how you got to know the V3s+? How many miles/kilometers did you put on it, and did you ride it in mountain trials, etc.

The curious want to know :)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

@KingSong69, I can't recall how you got to know the V3s+? How many miles/kilometers did you put on it, and did you ride it in mountain trials, etc.

The curious want to know :)

I just drove it on a group ride with friends, gravel roads,offroad...

So i know the power available and the handling is the exact same as my 1160Watt V3.  Its just easier to handle as its shell is  smaller as the KS18, so  i can totaly agree with what you said here about that handling

@Marty Backe to be more concrete:

On good streets i would allways go for the KS18, as it plays out its strength there with the bit more stable ride and its carving abilities and seat and so on. That includes street hills and mountains.

As soon as it goes to uneven grounds like for example your last group ride on gravel roads i would say the V3(s) is just easier to move and to handle.

Power and acceleration wise the 18S and V3s are nearly spot on the same, which i found impressive as the 18S is only 67 Volt.(Lurking for the 18L)

What i preferon the 18S over the Msuper is the harder pedal setting...its not so "mushy" as the Msuper V3 Series, while saying "mushy" is perhaps a bit to much and nitpicky. But thats my view. Both wheels so have their advantages.....

The Tesla is the coolest wheel whatsoever!!! Its just that..... (might be special to me) i still havent the total "trust"...knowing some of the failure reports, seeing some of the inside even in my wheel, knowing the failure rate etc etc..... Rip breaking hurts and its something i wish not to repeat :-) If GW would have the reliability of the KS wheels...i would change my name to Tesla69 :-)

6 hours ago, LanghamP said:

This is where a picture is worth a thousand words. Lifting and carrying the MSuper with both hands eludes me unless I'm wearing gloves, and even then the edges are sharp.

It's probably something really simple and stupid, but how on earth are you guys using the foot pads to move the wheel?

Here you go @LanghamP

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My knee pads don't feel like they are interfering, but I'll experiment a bit today. However, I'm not willing to remove my knee pads for a better grip :(

I always turn my knee pads slightly outward so they don’t touch the shell of my KS18AY, but still offering protection should I fall forward on my knees. 

1 minute ago, abinder3 said:

I always turn my knee pads slightly outward so they don’t touch the shell of my KS18AY, but still offering protection should I fall forward on my knees. 

I'll try this when I take it into the mountains this Saturday. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

OMG I've been lifting at the wrong part of the pedal on my MSuper. 

You should see me trying to get my MSuper in a shopping cart. 

I'm trying to picture this, but I can't think of any other way of grabbing the pedal :confused1:

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'll try this when I take it into the mountains this Saturday. Thanks.

Hi !

Some suggestions : Do not hold the this wheel by pushing the knees . Only way to prevent wobble in a fast ride, you need to tilt more forward yours the upper body and then the knees will not move forward to the center of the upper pillows of the wheel ( It will not succeed until you start to trust the ability of this wheel's acceleration. You should not go to the mountains before !  On a loose gravel road and on a sandy surface, it will save only a forward tilted body position , not pushing down the toes and knees. ) .Very important legs position on the pedals. The best way to keep this wheel your heels and toes to out side. Then you will feel equal support with the entire thigh surface and then , not hit the knee against the wheel.

In any case, I wish success !

Excuse me! I'm trying to write again here with my google translation :)

6 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Hello.  Long time since I've seen a post from you, but your wheel modification photos showed up recently. 

Hello.

:) Since these wheels have become quite an ordinary means of transport for me, it's not like anything new to write about.

14 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Dont know the exact numbers in lbs...my 18S is nearly 23,5kg  while the MS3+ is nearly the same.

840wh are about 3,7 - 4kg

hopefully my digital bathroom scales weigh heavy but i don’t think so. 23.5kg = 51.8 pounds but my ks-18s 1680wh weighs 54.8 pounds. i lug 50 pound bags of feed all the time and they feel lighter than this wheel. and that isn’t with the seat. and jason says 52 pounds on one chart and 57 pounds on another. maybe the white ones weigh more.

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

hopefully my digital bathroom scales weigh heavy but i don’t think so. 23.5kg = 51.8 pounds but my ks-18s 1680wh weighs 54.8 pounds. i lug 50 pound bags of feed all the time and they feel lighter than this wheel. and that isn’t with the seat. and jason says 52 pounds on one chart and 57 pounds on another. maybe the white ones weigh more.

Your scales are just better than my mind :-) or 23,5 was for my old 18A, the 18S may have a heavier motor than the old....

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

nice video. is that trail for pedestrians and mountain bikers? y’all have great scenery in california. coincidentally, what we were talking about, astronomical house prices in california, that’s been all over the national news. 

since u must work with a bunch of techies, i wonder how many have shown an interest in your sport?

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Impressive what the wheel can do! I'd be so scared for my ACM cables on such a tour. But exactly the kind of riding I'd like to do.

See my conclusions at the end of Part II.  I can't deny that there's a certain peace of mind that comes with riding the KingSong family of wheels. You just don't fear your cables melting or MOSFETs exploding :thumbup:

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

nice video. is that trail for pedestrians and mountain bikers? y’all have great scenery in california. coincidentally, what we were talking about, astronomical house prices in california, that’s been all over the national news. 

since u must work with a bunch of techies, i wonder how many have shown an interest in your sport?

The trails are shared but I rarely see a mountain biker up here (saw one all day today).

Interest yes, but nobody has shown enough interest to approach me for more information. That's why I think this will forever be a niche activity.

Here's the conclusion to the KS18S stress test. Some more commentary throughout the video with a summary at the end.

For those who want to know what happens when the KS18S overheats at 80-degrees Celsius, you'll enjoy this.

The KS18S is a hell of good wheel. I say it's a great wheel. I still have a range test to complete before posting a video review of this wheel, so more to follow.

Wow!

• That is a very well made and informational video.
  • No overheating problems on your way up, and only at the end of a particularly steep hill!
  • Did you check the insides/cabling just a quick look for fun?
  • Most impressive was the way down. Which is also the hardest part in mountain riding. Would you say the 18S is easier or harder to control downhills (like sudden braking, or fine maneuvering) than an ACM? I just mean, if you feel more or less in control with an 18 inch wheel (with the tall form factor) there.
  • The downhill part was also really steep in some parts. Could you have done the tour in reverse and gone up there with the 18S? Other wheels? (And what parts would have worked with each of the other wheels you tested there?)
  • Some nice riding skillz there! The downhill part was also impressive in that regard.

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wow!

• That is a very well made and informational video.
  • No overheating problems on your way up, and only at the end of a particularly steep hill!
  • Did you check the insides/cabling just a quick look for fun?
  • Most impressive was the way down. Which is also the hardest part in mountain riding. Would you say the 18S is easier or harder to control downhills (like sudden braking, or fine maneuvering) than an ACM? I just mean, if you feel more or less in control with an 18 inch wheel (with the tall form factor) there.
  • The downhill part was also really steep in some parts. Could you have done the tour in reverse and gone up there with the 18S? Other wheels? (And what parts would have worked with each of the other wheels you tested there?)
  • Some nice riding skillz there! The downhill part was also impressive in that regard.

Thanks.

It's not my wheel, so I'm not opening it. And as I've said elsewhere, I don't open my wheels (haven't touched the Tesla) unless there's a problem. That's just me.

I will only compare the KS18S to another 18-inch wheel because to do otherwise is unfair to the KS18S. Yes, the ACM has more control on these trails, and the Tesla even more because of the higher pedals. The KS14S really rules on that downhill run because of the super maneuverability.

That downhill run goes into a canyon which means that I had to go up the trail to get out. So yes, it handles the steep parts either way. But as you've noted, going down is scarier because of the sense that the wheel can slip out from under you.

Glad you enjoyed it (not as much as me doing it :P)

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's not my wheel, so I'm not opening it. And as I've said elsewhere, I don't open my wheels (haven't touched the Tesla) unless there's a problem. That's just me.

Yep, I figured, and it would most likely look exactly as it should. Was just curious.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Glad you enjoyed it (not as much as me doing it :P)

I'm close to building a Marty Backe vodoo doll now, with comments like this and your good weather:furious::D

Nice video Marty!  I’m glad to see the 18s held up strong.  When it overheated, did you encounter tilt back right when the verbal warning alarmed?  Looking forward to seeing your range test.

Archived