My KS18S Review and Ongoing Observations

Marty Backe

I'm gonna have to buy a charge doctor, however, my recent ride shows me riding at 64.71 volts. I don't doubt you but I wonder why you're getting more efficient numbers than my KS18. The elevation change as reported from Google is 39 feet up and 13 feet down. A tame ride for me. It was about a mile long. Also, I have not gone over 15 mph on any wheel due to the laws here. The only difference that could exist is the elevation changes because of where I live.  IMG_0354.thumb.PNG.6801752170f08e781b3970bda6ecaabd.PNG

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what my normal rides around here look like... Also, Google is a piece of crap. If that ride is flat the then slope of a fully pitched tent is also flat. The incline you see there lasts for just under .5 a mile. Stops for a bit then continues for a bit after it. Actually into an aggressive hill (see 2nd photo).

5a53352506549_BeavertonOR97006toTargetGoogleMaps.png.f4b173bff66aaa2bfac3429e4294333f.png

976 NW 173rd Ave   Google Maps.png

The other possibility is that Richard Layman, Sketch, and I all got wheels from the same batch. It seems as if from what I've heard here in the forums that the KS18 does not move as fast as all the wheels. Perhaps we all got bad batteries. 

NW Evergreen Pkwy   Google Maps.png

• 3 months later...

ok, i gotta apologize, in my mind anyway, about what @Marty Backe said about the 18s form factor being so different and taking a little adjustment time coming off his other ewheels. i had been riding all my wheels daily going back and frth between 14” to 18” and i was like, marty ur nuts, it’s no biggie. but lately because Bob and i are learning how to walk with the wheels i chose my 9bot1s2 exclusively. fast enough to catch up with Bob eventually yet small enough to dump if necessary and  safer for Bob in case we collided. plus i burned up my kingsong chargers and i’ve been waiting on a brick charger from china to show up and it did today. so i was wanting to run my 18s battery further down, get closer to 200 km and try out my new van’s sk8-hi’s on it and i was like whoa! the ks-18s is a totally different ride and no matter how confident u are on the little wheels, the ks-18s makes u think a bit. 

that’s not a negative for me, i actually like the challenge. i love the ks-18s because of the tall shell and the extra effort to master it. now just hoping the new brick charger will charge it properly.

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

ok, i gotta apologize, in my mind anyway, about what @Marty Backe said about the 18s form factor being so different and taking a little adjustment time coming off his other ewheels. i had been riding all my wheels daily going back and frth between 14” to 18” and i was like, marty ur nuts, it’s no biggie. but lately because Bob and i are learning how to walk with the wheels i chose my 9bot1s2 exclusively. fast enough to catch up with Bob eventually yet small enough to dump if necessary and  safer for Bob in case we collided. plus i burned up my kingsong chargers and i’ve been waiting on a brick charger from china to show up and it did today. so i was wanting to run my 18s battery further down, get closer to 200 km and try out my new van’s sk8-hi’s on it and i was like whoa! the ks-18s is a totally different ride and no matter how confident u are on the little wheels, the ks-18s makes u think a bit. 

that’s not a negative for me, i actually like the challenge. i love the ks-18s because of the tall shell and the extra effort to master it. now just hoping the new brick charger will charge it properly.

Thanks for that - reaffirming my observation that the KS18 will feel weird if it's not your daily rider. Like you say, not necessarily a bad thing.

Part of what I enjoy about having a bunch of wheels is sometimes it can be a month before I ride a certain wheel again, and then it almost feels like I just got a new wheel :D

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for that - reaffirming my observation that the KS18 will feel weird if it's not your daily rider. Like you say, not necessarily a bad thing.

Part of what I enjoy about having a bunch of wheels is sometimes it can be a month before I ride a certain wheel again, and then it almost feels like I just got a new wheel :D

no it was funny. i’ve been practicing a lot lately getting Bob where i want him and since that brick came and the new shoes, i though, yeah, been awhile, c’mon 18s. i mount it using my rail and immediately tip over. i went whaat? yeah i love having a bunch of wheels the only two that are identical in feel are the identical s1’s. btw since everybody was talking about the noise of the v10f, i’ve been paying close attention. the ks-16s is a very quiet wheel.

i’m gonna be riding the 18s a lot between now and when the v10f arrives so i’m accustomed to the taller shell again. plus i want to unlock it and i need more miles. wednesday i should have the v10f and with my new skateboard shoes(wish i had had these when i started) i’m like a kid counting the days before Christmas.

There is definitely some getting used to time if you go from one wheel to another, they all seem to have a little different riding dynamics.  I was never able to do idling very well on my 18S, but now I can do it almost as easily as I can on my 16.  Idling is definitely easier on the smaller wheels, I guess because of the ease at which you can pivot which is the most important skill you can have for slow movements.  must be learned for both forward and backwards to be able to do some of these advanced moves.  

Its all about how much effort you put into learning the wheels.  You can get really good with the larger wheel if you just put in the time.  It isn't necessarily harder, it just different, though it may appear harder.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

no it was funny. i’ve been practicing a lot lately getting Bob where i want him and since that brick came and the new shoes, i though, yeah, been awhile, c’mon 18s. i mount it using my rail and immediately tip over. i went whaat? yeah i love having a bunch of wheels the only two that are identical in feel are the identical s1’s. btw since everybody was talking about the noise of the v10f, i’ve been paying close attention. the ks-16s is a very quiet wheel.

i’m gonna be riding the 18s a lot between now and when the v10f arrives so i’m accustomed to the taller shell again. plus i want to unlock it and i need more miles. wednesday i should have the v10f and with my new skateboard shoes(wish i had had these when i started) i’m like a kid counting the days before Christmas.

I can hear the excitement in your voice :thumbup:

50 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I can hear the excitement in your voice :thumbup:

i was looking at jason’s prices and for a ks-16s he wants $1300 and i paid $1440 for the v10f. that’s gotta be a ks-16s killer. i mean, i haven’t had a chance obviously to ride it, but on paper and from what i’ve seen from u and others on youtube, i thimk it will be a sure winner. plus kingsong doesn’t seem to take their responsibility as manufacturers too seriously and i don’t like that. doesn’t take that much effort to at least provide some support especially now with the internet and such a teeny tiny market. 

17 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i was looking at jason’s prices and for a ks-16s he wants $1300 and i paid $1440 for the v10f. that’s gotta be a ks-16s killer. i mean, i haven’t had a chance obviously to ride it, but on paper and from what i’ve seen from u and others on youtube, i thimk it will be a sure winner. plus kingsong doesn’t seem to take their responsibility as manufacturers too seriously and i don’t like that. doesn’t take that much effort to at least provide some support especially now with the internet and such a teeny tiny market. 

I agree. I'm not convinced that it's a Tesla killer (because of the speed handicap), but I think it outshines everything about the KS16 except for the trolley handle.

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

There is definitely some getting used to time if you go from one wheel to another, they all seem to have a little different riding dynamics.  I was never able to do idling very well on my 18S, but now I can do it almost as easily as I can on my 16.  Idling is definitely easier on the smaller wheels, I guess because of the ease at which you can pivot which is the most important skill you can have for slow movements.  must be learned for both forward and backwards to be able to do some of these advanced moves.  

Its all about how much effort you put into learning the wheels.  You can get really good with the larger wheel if you just put in the time.  It isn't necessarily harder, it just different, though it may appear harder.

absolutely, i agree. the 18s fits me like a glove and u have great wheel retention stepping off. i can actually do u-turns about the same as my small wheels but it is more core than just feet and legs. 

the ks18s is big fun. it is very different from my other wheels in a good way.

are u getting a v10f too eddie?

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree. I'm not convinced that it's a Tesla killer (because of the speed handicap), but I think it outshines everything about the KS16 except for the trolley handle.

yup, and i never use a trolley handle. i may be taking the v10f’s off unless removing it leaves ugly holes i can’t cover. just in the way for me. feed bags are 50 pounds and don’t have handles but the ks18 with a good handle at 57 pounds is about all i want to tote. it’s just bulky. the v10f will make me feel strong at 45 pounds and it’s slim profile.

yeah u hotway guys are a different breed of cat. i’m not wanting to go that fast. 15-20 mph seems to be my sweet spot now. it’s funny but i’ll go faster, quicker on my s2 or e+ than i will on my ks16s. i don’t know why. maybe the 14 inchers just wanna go faster.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I’m waiting on the V10F and I’m excited to ride it, but I still think the KS16s will have a spot.  The KS16s is a great around town wheel.  Much more compact and it has a really nice true round shape that is pleasing to the eye.  It is very maneuverable and I think will be easier to whip between your ankles in tight spots.  I look forward to riding them both.  I agree that the higher speed of the Tesla puts that wheel also in a different category.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

absolutely, i agree. the 18s fits me like a glove and u have great wheel retention stepping off. i can actually do u-turns about the same as my small wheels but it is more core than just feet and legs. 

the ks18s is big fun. it is very different from my other wheels in a good way.

are u getting a v10f too eddie?

i did get the v10f, probably by month end.  coming in first shipment by boat.

33 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I’m waiting on the V10F and I’m excited to ride it, but I still think the KS16s will have a spot.  The KS16s is a great around town wheel.  Much more compact and it has a really nice true round shape that is pleasing to the eye.  It is very maneuverable and I think will be easier to whip between your ankles in tight spots.  I look forward to riding them both.  I agree that the higher speed of the Tesla puts that wheel also in a different category.

don’t get me wrong, i own it and it is a tank and rides like it is on rails, but on paper, bigger tire, bigger motor, bigger pedals, higher pedals, better headlight, bigger battery, yet thinner and handle cut off switch, just a better value. inmotion’s customer service has to be better. kingsong’s is non-existent.

• 6 months later...

I own a Tesla but I’m considering a second wheel for long distance. I’m thinking between the MSX and the KS-18S. I really like the feel of the MSX however, I’ve never tried the KS-18S. Watching how Chris rides the 18S makes me consider it more and more. He makes it look so effortless, especially when turning at high speeds. Also, unlike then MSX, it’s high off the ground making sitting much more manageable. I don’t know. It looks like a great wheel. 

40 minutes ago, Jediah Matthew said:

Tesla but I’m considering a second wheel for long distance. I’m thinking between the MSX and the KS-18S. I really like the feel of the MSX however, I’ve never tried the KS-18S. Watching how Chris rides the 18S makes me consider it more and more. He makes it look so effortless, especially when turning at high speeds. Also, unlike then MSX, it’s high off the ground making sitting much more manageable. I don’t know. It looks like a great wheel. 

@houseofjob‚s riding style on the 18S is spectacular! 

As (unfortunatly former!) owner of the 18S and 18A with about 8-9k kilometers...it is in ,my opinion the best long range wheel, when you take the seated option into the game! Its such a great wheel, and sooo reliable. Still my favorit 18inch! Also offers a good punch.

Yeah, you have to get used to its driving characteristics because of the high shell to fully experience its advantages! But on other „special“ wheels (Z10) ...this special drive characteristics are sold a „unique“ ;-) 

1 hour ago, US69 said:

As (unfortunatly former!) owner of the 18S and 18A with about 8-9k kilometers...it is in ,my opinion the best long range wheel, when you take the seated option into the game! Its such a great wheel, and sooo reliable. Still my favorit 18inch! Also offers a good punch.

Yeah, you have to get used to its driving characteristics because of the high shell to fully experience its advantages! But on other „special“ wheels (Z10) ...this special drive characteristics are sold a „unique“ ;-) 

What?!?!?  you sold your 18S?  blasphemy!  LOL

3 hours ago, US69 said:

Thanks!

3 hours ago, US69 said:

As (unfortunatly former!) owner of the 18S and 18A with about 8-9k kilometers...

giphy.gif

Pre-emptive sale? Or know something about future King Song product we don't know? :efefae4566:

4 hours ago, Jediah Matthew said:

He makes it look so effortless, especially when turning at high speeds.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Jediah Matthew said:

I own a Tesla but I’m considering a second wheel for long distance. I’m thinking between the MSX and the KS-18S. I really like the feel of the MSX however, I’ve never tried the KS-18S. Watching how Chris rides the 18S makes me consider it more and more. He makes it look so effortless, especially when turning at high speeds. Also, unlike then MSX, it’s high off the ground making sitting much more manageable. I don’t know. It looks like a great wheel. 

The KS-18 tall series is one of the best wheels I've owned, an ATF, but it is a bit of an odd-ball, I'll have to admit. The A variant was my 2nd wheel ever, and it really forced me to re-learn my EUC technique / how to overall ride better, especially due to the high sides.

But the MSX & KS-18S are really contrasting wheel philosophies. The one you pick will most likely be based on your use case / priorities, as they are so different.

It'd be interesting to redo a review of the KS18S in relationship to the new 18 inchers, and perhaps even Inmotion's V10 which is a 16 incher.

Hard to believe the V10 isn't an 18 incher, it looks huge.

23 hours ago, US69 said:

As (unfortunatly former!) owner of the 18S

and in other news... the world has officially turned upside down ;)

19 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Pre-emptive sale? Or know something about future King Song product we don't know? :efefae4566:

@US69 c'mon mate... spill the beans

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

It'd be interesting to redo a review of the KS18S in relationship to the new 18 inchers, and perhaps even Inmotion's V10 which is a 16 incher.

Hard to believe the V10 isn't an 18 incher, it looks huge.

Yes indeed.

The V10 taught me that a wheel’s ride is more based on tire width, as, blindfolded, I would swear the V10 was an 18-incher.

Archived