Amazon: Segway S1 for $299, Mistake? Getting Out of Single-Wheel Business?

Jason McNeil

2 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

The lack of padding on the side confused me at first, especially for mounting or one-legged riding. However, by pointing your foot inward then the curve of your wheel will follow the curve of your shin bone, thereby allowing you to lock the wheel against your leg. Before figuring that out I found the S1 to be insanely difficult to mount.

I'm waiting for @Marty Backe to buy one despite him already having the KS14 which of course is a far better wheel.

The lack of padding will be interesting to experience.  

Like you said, at that price it's hard to not buy one.  I saw a video by @Duf a few days ago where he did a review.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

The lack of padding on the side confused me at first, especially for mounting or one-legged riding. However, by pointing your foot inward then the curve of your wheel will follow the curve of your shin bone, thereby allowing you to lock the wheel against your leg. Before figuring that out I found the S1 to be insanely difficult to mount.

I'm waiting for @Marty Backe to buy one despite him already having the KS14 which of course is a far better wheel.

Never going to happen.

28 minutes ago, steve454 said:

The lack of padding will be interesting to experience.  

Like you said, at that price it's hard to not buy one.  I saw a video by @Duf a few days ago where he did a review.

Padding is most useful with new wheels. For instance, the KS18S barely has any padding yet it's very comfortable to ride now that I've put a few miles on it.

2 hours ago, EternalEnigma said:

I figure it's not much different from falling while sprinting. Still haven't had my first fall yet, but I don't think much would change even after then. My winter jacket offers some protection for now though.

The wheel is more of a Point A to Point B or "last-mile" solution than a hobby, so I feel like this quality portable wheel will last for quite some time.

I think the foot position is a lot different while sprinting with the legs moving.  There's an advantage of having a foot moving or ready to move forward already.  Also with the leaning stance to keep pressure applied to the front of the pedals and static constriction of the muscles making them less responsive to sudden movement it can be a formula for trouble.  I'd compare it more to standing on an imaginary, super long moving sidewalk going at 20 kph with a slight forwards lean for 30 minutes with you being able to move your feet and legs only a little in one spot and then experiencing the sidewalk suddenly coming to a halt.  Everyone's got their own risk acceptance level of course so maybe for casual, slow speed riding safety gear is not a huge concern.  You know though there's always going to be that one exception where you wished you had worn it.  People have injured themselves quite badly even on slower wheels.  I just figure better safe than sorry. </safety nanny rant>

28 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Well, I ordered another one to give to my girlfriend's boss, or rather she paid some and took up a collection. 

These wheels are a steal. 

Hope I get a good one that has not gone in to hibernation.  But that's the fun part.  I got about two weeks to find out.

1 hour ago, Duf said:

The appear to be gone from Amazon's site, I feel lucky to have snagged one.

Nope. They are still there.

What is the actual max cruise speed of these? My V8 is meant to be 30kph but honestly anything over 27kph means you are starting to ride the tiltback.

I'd actually quite like to get the S1 as a kick-about wheel. Maybe if I have to sell the V8 one of these could keep me rolling, albeit sedately and still net me some money from the difference.

3 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Nope. They are still there.

What is the actual max cruise speed of these? My V8 is meant to be 30kph but honestly anything over 27kph means you are starting to ride the tiltback.

I'd actually quite like to get the S1 as a kick-about wheel. Maybe if I have to sell the V8 one of these could keep me rolling, albeit sedately and still net me some money from the difference.

I cruise at 7-10 mph, I would say with concentration you could hover it between 10-12 mph. You do get a beep before tiltback. 

It is a poor cruising wheel, terrible actually due to its low speed. This is an urban wheel. You want more people, more broken pavement, more errands, and more fun little handicap ramps and shallow steps with 180 degree turns because you'd want to be constantly turning on this wheel. 

Be advised if you have to hop off the wheel you'll be instantly swarmed by people, so I guess it's an urban social wheel. 

2 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I cruise at 7-10 mph, I would say with concentration you could hover it between 10-12 mph. You do get a beep before tiltback. 

It is a poor cruising wheel, terrible actually due to its low speed. This is an urban wheel. You want more people, more broken pavement, more errands, and more fun little handicap ramps and shallow steps with 180 degree turns because you'd want to be constantly turning on this wheel. 

Be advised if you have to hop off the wheel you'll be instantly swarmed by people, so I guess it's an urban social wheel. 

My commute is 5 miles each way with half that in a downtown environment (quiet though so little dodging going on) but it is mainly straight cruising which is why I now yearn for an 18S. On the V8 I generally max out at 17.5mph (pedals starting to lift) but average 13.5mph over the journey. I guess my average would drop to about 9-10mph on an S1 which wouldn't be the end of the world. Tonight, I trialed a more sedate ride home sticking to 15mph max but more like 13-14mph for most of it. It was quite relaxing. Maybe slow is the way to go. I hope this deal sticks around long enough so I know my situation and can grab one if it comes to it.

16 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

My commute is 5 miles each way with half that in a downtown environment (quiet though so little dodging going on) but it is mainly straight cruising which is why I now yearn for an 18S. On the V8 I generally max out at 17.5mph (pedals starting to lift) but average 13.5mph over the journey. I guess my average would drop to about 9-10mph on an S1 which wouldn't be the end of the world. Tonight, I trialed a more sedate ride home sticking to 15mph max but more like 13-14mph for most of it. It was quite relaxing. Maybe slow is the way to go. I hope this deal sticks around long enough so I know my situation and can grab one if it comes to it.

Save your money WARPed...I wouldn't buy it.....only doing it because I three young ones.  My 11 won't ride the ACM...too heavy for him.  He keeps fighting with his sister for the V8.  Save money for one of those KS....it looks sweet.

10 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

Save your money WARPed...I wouldn't buy it.....only doing it because I three young ones.  My 11 won't ride the ACM...too heavy for him.  He keeps fighting with his sister for the V8.  Save money for one of those KS....it looks sweet.

If you were to take the S1 and idle with it (go back and forth in place), and then do the same thing with the KS16s on its hardest setting, which one do you think gives the firmest feel? Or with the Inmotion V5/KS14? Or the V8?

More importantly, would you say the KS16s is 4 times the wheel at 4 times the cost? Like if the S1 can safely go 12 mph, then we can expect the KS16s to go 48 mph? Likewise the range? And motor power?

While I wouldn't recommend just the S1 as your only wheel, especially if you have a V8 (or a KS16s which is a step above the V8), I would strongly recommend this wheel if an absolute top speed is not important.

Now I assume you've bought one but haven't yet gotten it? I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at what a quality (yet slow) wheel this is. It quickly has become my favored urban wheel for almost everything I do, and mind you I have a KS16s and an MSuper, and the S1 works better for the urban dweller.

Be advised the low pedal height makes the S1 pretty  dangerous while turning even if you try to keep the wheel more straight than leaned. 

10 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

If you have a 5 mile commute (I have a 4.5 to 5 mile commute each day one way) then I wouldn't recommend the S1 at all for that, or even the V8/KS16s.

I'd recommend the MSuper/Tesla. Why? Because it took me less than 12 minutes to cover the 4.5 miles this morning, even with lights.

The S1 is highly inappropriate for your commute. It'd be akin to torture.

Ninebot One E+ 16” wheel at Newegg $399.  18hrs left. Free shipping. 

I ride MSuperS, MTen3 and KS14C. Just bought Segway One S1 and I think it’s a great deal for the sale price,  not a commuter but good riding machine.

It’s not an enthusiasts wheel and I am an enthusiast but it’s not my only wheel! I would not shy away from telling somebody not to buy because of its 12.5 mph speed. It is a quality machine and eventually Jason at ewheels will get more business from it. 

James 

10 hours ago, JES said:

Ninebot One E+ 16” wheel at Newegg $399.  18hrs left. Free shipping. 

I ride MSuperS, MTen3 and KS14C. Just bought Segway One S1 and I think it’s a great deal for the sale price,  not a commuter but good riding machine.

It’s not an enthusiasts wheel and I am an enthusiast but it’s not my only wheel! I would not shy away from telling somebody not to buy because of its 12.5 mph speed. It is a quality machine and eventually Jason at ewheels will get more business from it. 

James 

yeah i agree, great boost for jason when new people wanna move up from getting into ewheels for $321. i’m just learning and i’m amazed at the technology. i bought a 9bot1e+ too at $360 new delivered off ebay, and that might even be a better deal. was just doing a little training session with the 9bots and my ks-16s, and in my beginner opinion, these are all fine devices. i paid $1070 for the kingsong. right now for what i paid for each, the winner to me so far is the e+. i set the pedals to their highest sensitivity(s1 not adjustabe) and my, my, the e+ is plenty spunky. keep in mind, i’m just doing baby steps(boring)but maybe i’ll feel comfortable enough to get a gf or two on the s1’s(yeah i bought 2). two 9bot1s1+ a 9bot1e+ sill cheaper than the kingsong which was a good price.

30 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yeah i agree, great boost for jason when new people wanna move up from getting into ewheels for $321. i’m just learning and i’m amazed at the technology. i bought a 9bot1e+ too at $360 new delivered off ebay, and that might even be a better deal. was just doing a little training session with the 9bots and my ks-16s, and in my beginner opinion, these are all fine devices. i paid $1070 for the kingsong. right now for what i paid for each, the winner to me so far is the e+. i set the pedals to their highest sensitivity(s1 not adjustabe) and my, my, the e+ is plenty spunky. keep in mind, i’m just doing baby steps(boring)but maybe i’ll feel comfortable enough to get a gf or two on the s1’s(yeah i bought 2). two 9bot1s1+ a 9bot1e+ sill cheaper than the kingsong which was a good price.

Yep, the E+ is a nice wheel... I think though, once you have achieved your proficiency certificate, the better performance of the KS will become quite addictive. 

13 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yep, the E+ is a nice wheel... I think though, once you have achieved your proficiency certificate, the better performance of the KS will become quite addictive. 

yeah i think at the price point of $1070 and 840wh battery, it was a bargain too. the 9bot’s prices are just an aberration. it’s a lot of work lugging all 3 wheels out to play with, but i figure i’m only a virgin once(hopefully) so i’m enjoying feeling the differences. i think the ks-16s might turn out the easiest one to free mount. i don’t find the 9bots difficult to carry but i think the trolley handle on the tankish ks-16s is a sweet spot. mine’s white but the rubbery looking matte black ks-16s is a great looking wheel. on paper seems like a great all around wheel. going fast is fun until u hit a curb or a tree. if i can go straight and smooth, while walking Bob, i’ll be estatic. Bob and i have been going to the dog park everyday and that has been a Godsend for burning off energy so he’s receptive to leash training. it’s all coming together. I’ve got three cool months ahead so i gotta make headway for my goals. Bob is 15 months jan 8th so he’s acting less like a puppy and more mature now.

On 12/20/2017 at 4:33 PM, Marty Backe said:

Padding is most useful with new wheels. For instance, the KS18S barely has any padding yet it's very comfortable to ride now that I've put a few miles on it.

After riding  the S1 for a couple of days, I agree.  By now I don't let my ankles touch the shell much, if I do touch the sides and can feel it on my ankles, it is noticeable, but I just shift my feet a little wider.

20 minutes ago, steve454 said:

After riding  the S1 for a couple of days, I agree.  By now I don't let my ankles touch the shell much, if I do touch the sides and can feel it on my ankles, it is noticeable, but I just shift my feet a little wider.

so what do u think about ur $300 purchase?

On 11/23/2017 at 8:24 AM, aalenkin said:

Nooooooo!!!!!

I just got up to do the same. :( 

Per my previous post a majority of gripes and returns were due to the battery and charger.

Most of the reviewers said the unit wouldn't charge or the battery would be dead just after a short while.

Still waiting on that one.  When I got it , sealed box never opened, it would not turn on.  Put it on the charger, it took almost 4 hours to charge.  Over two days, I got about 7.5 miles before it went to 14% battery and started limiting the speed to 10mph, then 7.5 mph.

The main thing so far seems to be that the charger only charges to 59.5 volts.  That's low!  My E+ goes to 61v, and the range is much longer on the E+.  A 63v charger would charge it to 4.2v.

Even at full charge, the first time I rode it, it felt a little weaker than the E+.  I can understand now why the tiltback is set at 12.5 mph.  It would cruise at 10-11 mph easily, but the range is low.

Just charged it again today for the second time, and left it on charge for an extra hour and 5 minutes, to hopefully balance the cells.  Will start another range test tomorrow.

Still, it rides well, is well made, has a good app, the pedals are nice, I actually ride faster on it than the E+.  Going backwards is easier.

Compared to the E+, it feels like a toy.  But a very well made toy.

14 minutes ago, novazeus said:

so what do u think about ur $300 purchase?

I'm thinking @Jason McNeil might be right.  A lot of people will buy this because it is inexpensive, get hooked, and get a better, stronger, wheel.  But for the money, you can't go wrong with this wheel.

But I keep thinking that a KS14d would be an upgrade, stronger in every way, motor, batteries, handle, speakers.

I love ninebot, but they are too conservative.

52 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Not sure yet, Got to charge it a few times and see if the batteries are any good.  So far , they:pooping: seem subpar.

That can't be right. I've gone twice around my local park which is over 12 miles distance, and I was under 40% from a full charge (but noticeably weak pedals!). 

So for me it would be at least 12 miles, maybe even 15 although realistically we aren't talking more than 12 miles. 

7.5 miles seems like a broken wheel, and you say it's also weak, but my S1 has harder pedals than my KS16s on hard when idling. S1 is weaker than my Inmotion V5, though. 

I remember my S1 not turning on, I had to plug it in, got impatient after five minutes, and it was suddenly alive and above 50%.

Archived