Amazon: Segway S1 for $299, Mistake? Getting Out of Single-Wheel Business?

Jason McNeil

43 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You should work on your technique more - the sides of wheels should never need to be dripped firmly unless under special circumstances such as navigating steep terrain.

There are at least two different mounting techniques. One, triangle mounting, requires to put pressure on the side wall. Only the other, hop mounting, does not. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but I don't think any of them is in principle superior to the other under all circumstances. I prefer triangle mounting, but indeed IIRC, on the S1 a hop mount is the only viable option. That would mean that single footed riding doesn't work with the S1 as well. Is that so?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Mono said:

There are at least two different mounting techniques. One, triangle mounting, requires to put pressure on the side wall. Only the other, hop mounting, does not. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but I don't think any of them is in principle superior to the other under all circumstances. I prefer triangle mounting, but indeed IIRC, on the S1 a hop mount is the only viable option. That would mean that single footed riding doesn't work with the S1 as well. Is that so?

This discussion is about riding, not mounting the wheel.

11 hours ago, Duf said:

I don't notice the lack of padding at all on the S1 because I normally ride with my legs off the wheel anyway.

Me, too, it's only noticeable when starting off, and then I shift my feet outward just enough to not touch the wheel with my ankles.  Then it becomes very comfortable to ride.  Just did a range test today, on concrete trail, got 8.4 miles before the tiltback started at lower speeds.  Solid 1 hour and 15 minutes ride with about 4 stops to walk off the jelly legs and check the battery stats.  Temperature 33 degrees, my hands were cold even with light gloves, luckily there was not much wind.  @LanghamP there was something strange showing in the app.  I ran it down to 14% with tilt back at 7mph, both batteries showed 14%.  About 7 hours later, after letting the batteries cool down before recharging, the app showed battery one at 36% and battery 2 at 21%.  Charge for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, both batteries show almost identical charge level,  92%.  So, this seems like the batteries are not matched.  The serial numbers are way off. You would think that on the wheel, you would get 1 and 2 with consecutive serial numbers.  @novazeus  Do you have any information on that?

The S1 is a strong wheel at lower speeds, I like the quality, but not for high speed.  The pedals are like the E+ on level 1.  Even at low battery and tiltback. 

19 minutes ago, Mono said:

I prefer triangle mounting, but indeed IIRC, on the S1 a hop mount is the only viable option. That would mean that single footed riding doesn't work with the S1 as well. Is that so?

I hop mount when showing off but not with a new wheel that I'm afraid of dropping as I have a tendency to miss the foot pads.  For the first day I couldn't figure how to get on the S1 but then I think @Hunka Hunka Burning Love showed a video of a sexy girl riding one legged, and so by placing the shin along the curve of the S1 one can mount.

In my experience the S1 is the easiest and most comfortable of all my wheels to mount and ride one legged but you do have to turn your leg inwardly which took some time to figure out. 

38 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Me, too, it's only noticeable when starting off, and then I shift my feet outward just enough to not touch the wheel with my ankles.  Then it becomes very comfortable to ride.  Just did a range test today, on concrete trail, got 8.4 miles before the tiltback started at lower speeds.  Solid 1 hour and 15 minutes ride with about 4 stops to walk off the jelly legs and check the battery stats.  Temperature 33 degrees, my hands were cold even with light gloves, luckily there was not much wind.  @LanghamP there was something strange showing in the app.  I ran it down to 14% with tilt back at 7mph, both batteries showed 14%.  About 7 hours later, after letting the batteries cool down before recharging, the app showed battery one at 36% and battery 2 at 21%.  Charge for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, both batteries show almost identical charge level,  92%.  So, this seems like the batteries are not matched.  The serial numbers are way off. You would think that on the wheel, you would get 1 and 2 with consecutive serial numbers.  @novazeus  Do you have any information on that?

The S1 is a strong wheel at lower speeds, I like the quality, but not for high speed.  The pedals are like the E+ on level 1.  Even at low battery and tiltback. 

i posted those screenshots of the battery info a couple of pages back, not sequential but fairly close, like same batch maybe. 

turns out my shin abrasion was from an additional horizontal strip of rubatex i padded with, thinking i’d need that. i cut it off, much better. my shin doesn’t touch either, feels more like instep, very comfortable. still learning and having fun playing with the different variety while learning but my guess is right now, i think the s1, especially at $300, is gonna be the best learning wheel of my wheels. 

12 hours ago, steve454 said:

@LanghamP there was something strange showing in the app.  I ran it down to 14% with tilt back at 7mph, both batteries showed 14%.  About 7 hours later, after letting the batteries cool down before recharging, the app showed battery one at 36% and battery 2 at 21%.  Charge for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, both batteries show almost identical charge level,  92%.  So, this seems like the batteries are not matched.  The serial numbers are way off. You would think that on the wheel, you would get 1 and 2 with consecutive serial numbers.  @novazeus  Do you have any information on that?

The S1's slow speed makes a range test quite boring, but draining down below 40% over the past couple of days seems to show differences between our batteries. 

For example, more than half my battery serial numbers are the same, with the batteries being charged almost equal. No more than one percent difference. 

Also, I'm easily getting ten miles before the 40%. Pedals are mushy by then, though. I'm not comfortable when the pedals get that soft. 

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

The S1's slow speed makes a range test quite boring, but draining down below 40% over the past couple of days seems to show differences between our batteries. 

For example, more than half my battery serial numbers are the same, with the batteries being charged almost equal. No more than one percent difference

Also, I'm easily getting ten miles before the 40%. Pedals are mushy by then, though. I'm not comfortable when the pedals get that soft. 

Mine end with 4F0819 and AF0231, I suppose that could be from the same batch.  After charging and sitting a while, when I check the app just before riding, both batteries show 100% and the total remaining mah is very close to equal.  

It's fun to ride, very smooth and quiet.

so, i ordered one of these bad boys last week - should get here next wednesday! the price is just too good. i got it primarily to learn riding backwards on/fool around with and also let friends and others try. i've tried going backwards a few times on my other wheels, but i just don't want to bang them up more than necessary or pad them up.. i'm looking forward to it!

ok the second 9bot1s1 i ordered came today. this makes 2 s1’s and one s2 i now own. figure they will come in handy. this one came dead but it did charge. here’s the screenshots for what it’s worth.

20A06919-8828-4AE6-A5F7-AD5278476956.png

433B0EFD-FC3C-4720-897F-0E5BECB5ACFE.png

On 12/28/2017 at 12:27 PM, kour said:

so, i ordered one of these bad boys last week - should get here next wednesday! the price is just too good. i got it primarily to learn riding backwards on/fool around with and also let friends and others try. i've tried going backwards a few times on my other wheels, but i just don't want to bang them up more than necessary or pad them up.. i'm looking forward to it!

That's why I bought mine, but gosh the wheel is way too pretty to bash up. 

I'm waiting for my first drop, and my first huge drop, before I practice tricks on my S1. Honestly at the price and as a 14 incher it's the perfect wheel for that silliness yet I can't bring myself to treat this beauty rough. Seems a crime to. 

8 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

Guys,

What is the conclusion on upgrading the S1?  I ended up opening mine.  I wanted to check with everyone here before upgrading.

Anyone having trouble upgrading or upgrade worked ok?

Thanks.

While I was activating my S1, I upraded the firmware immediately, then finished activation.  No problems.  Now on version 1.0.8.  Came with 1.0.6, which  came out 15 Nov 2016. :huh:

I made sure to not disrupt the bluetooth by moving the phone or walking in front of it.

1 hour ago, CaptainKBLS said:

Ok, upgrade the firmware without a problem.

However, I'm pretty sure I rode more than 1km but it's still says 6.2mph.  The total mileage says 5.9ml.  I didn't ride 1km straight as it is freezing.

I think you have to turn off the speed limiter, which by the way you can limit to 6 or so mph. That should allow you to unleash the blazing speed of 12.5 mph. 

15 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

Ok, upgrade the firmware without a problem.

However, I'm pretty sure I rode more than 1km but it's still says 6.2mph.  The total mileage says 5.9ml.  I didn't ride 1km straight as it is freezing.

If I remember correctly, I had to turn the S1 off then back on again, and it was able to go 12.5 mph right after that.

I've checked several times to ensure the speed limiter is off.  It's still keeping me at 6.2mph.  I tried to go around the block again and the battery die on me.  I had to walk about two blocks...although 25lbs isn't too bad.

Anyways, I got home, charged and waited for it to turn green on the power supply.  I opened the app and checked the battery status and one battery is %100 and one is about %56.

While I love the price, this is not worth it for me.  It's going back to Amazon.  I'm not going to debug this.

It's a nice looking wheel, the price is right and the ride isn't bad but looks like I got one with bad battery.  I'm not taking on this risk.

I got a second S1 (for someone else) and charged it over the weekend. I paid a bit more attention to the charging this time. 

I think all these wheels were made some time ago, that is, I think both my wheels were made in late 2016 according to my manual and warranty card (forgot which). So basically most of these wheels forum members are buying are going to have charging problems since the batteries sat for such a long time. That's probably why these wheels are going super cheap; they overproduced and need to dump the wheels.

Now there is a thread somewhere on the Segway/Ninebot forum that details how to wake your battery up from hibernation.

Both my wheels seem ok but both seemed pretty dead before going on the charger, with no response at all for some hours.

It's odd to have supposedly the exact same wheel side by side, but upon closer examination notice tiny differences. Like the bottom shell is slightly different, the two halves come together differently. The two wheels feels different, somehow, as if they came from different batches. Very slight, you wouldn't notice it unless you had the two wheels side by side. I'd hope these are different variations of the same wheel but I wonder if it's just manufacturing slop. I suspect the later, they must have been churning these out by the hundred thousands thinking they would be the next Hoverboard craze.

Personally, since the price is the major draw of this wheel, I'd try charging it upon getting it, and immediately send it back if it had problems.

3 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Damn, the price went back up to $600 on Amazon. I hope they sold a pile of these at that price.

I think it's just someone reselling on Amazon.  They probably bought for $299 and reselling.

I'm glad I'm able to return mine tho.

Archived