Amazon: Segway S1 for $299, Mistake? Getting Out of Single-Wheel Business?

Jason McNeil

4 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

The More4Mini charger should work perfectly.  Or if you replace the plug on a Ninebot 63V charger that works too (I did this).  Or a variable voltage and current power supply from Amazon works too and is much cheaper than a Segway or Ninebot or More4Mini charger. 

this is the charger that came with my 9bot1s2 and i know the plug fits the s1 because this is the charger i tried to use on it before shipping my doa s1 back. the new s1 sb here tmrw. am i not suppose to use this charger with the s1?

23EC90A0-E8D6-4CCD-92D3-B396195E6189.jpeg

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, novazeus said:

this is the charger that came with my 9bot1s2 and i know the plug fits the s1 because this is the charger i tried to use on it before shipping my doa s1 back. the new s1 sb here tmrw. am i not suppose to use this charger with the s1?

If the battery packs in the S1 are 63v then the 63v charger should allow you to charge to the true 100% capacity of the batteries. However, I can’t confirm ( until I get my S1) if the batteries’ bms will accept the higher voltage or if the firmware is programmed especially for North American units (I doubt it) and will prevent charging to the full capacity. The MiniPro accepts it and I expect the S1 will too, but until I have it I can’t be sure.  Under the Ninebot brand we got true 100% capacity.  Segway seem to like the ‘80% charge only’ model. I suspect it’s for battery longevity reasons and to prevent damage when riding down hills after a charge (regen could overvolt the battery and kill it), but getting an honest answer from Segway is like getting orange juice from a kidney bean. 

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

1214171546a.thumb.jpg.8271155905c45c063a47dbef8564cd71.jpgNinebot one E+ charger from 2016 61v

1 hour ago, RooMiniPro said:

If the battery packs in the S1 are 63v then the 63v charger should allow you to charge to the true 100% capacity of the batteries. However, I can’t confirm ( until I get my S1) if the batteries’ bms will accept the higher voltage or if the firmware is programmed especially for North American units (I doubt it) and will prevent charging to the full capacity. The MiniPro accepts it and I expect the S1 will too, but until I have it I can’t be sure.  Under the Ninebot brand we got true 100% capacity.  Segway seem to like the ‘80% charge only’ model. I suspect it’s for battery longevity reasons and to prevent damage when riding down hills after a charge (regen could overvolt the battery and kill it), but getting an honest answer from Segway is like getting orange juice from a kidney bean. 

i would guess the 60 Volt has nothing to do with ninebot or segway, but with some US laws that certain devices are not about 60volt?

Makes just no sense at all.......

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

They let you send just the wheel back and not the charger?  Might have been the charger that was bad?  Oops my bad, didn't read correctly.

Just now, steve454 said:

They let you send just the wheel back and not the charger?  Might have been the charger that was bad?

no, i have a batman s2. the s1 wouldn’t turn on. wouldn’t take a charge either.

C88C6739-0CAC-4591-9151-7876772B0CF3.jpeg

1 minute ago, novazeus said:

the app on the s2 shows the battery precentage of each pack, doesn’t the s1 app also have that?

On the MiniPro the app shows 100% but it’s a lie. It’s actually only about 80%. I think it will be the same with the S2. A 63v battery cannot charge to 100% when it only gets to 59.5v.

3 minutes ago, novazeus said:

the app on the s2 shows the battery precentage of each pack, doesn’t the s1 app also have that?

There is the answer to my earlier question, asking if the wheel actually did have two batteries or was the one battery version.  No need to take off the side covers.:thumbup:

2 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

On the MiniPro the app shows 100% but it’s a lie. It’s actually only about 80%. I think it will be the same with the S2. A 63v battery cannot charge to 100% when it only gets to 59.5v.

but the s2 charger is 63 volts

F9565DB2-6EB6-41F8-A9BF-174F11026FC2.jpeg

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

There is the answer to my earlier question, asking if the wheel actually did have two batteries or was the one battery version.  No need to take off the side covers.:thumbup:

i was gonna tell u that but i couldn’t turn on the s1. i bet the s1 is identical to the s2 but detuned for the american lawyers. s2 stands for two balls because it goes 15mph instead of 12.5mph.

2 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

My 61v charger only charges to about 4.07 volts per cell.  Please check you S1 and post whether or not you get the full charge.  Thanks!

9 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I looked into the eBates.ca thing but for 1% cashback on this product (which equates to about $4) it hardly seemed worth adding another company to the list of companies that have my personal info.

Yeah, totally not worth it. :whistling:  May as well stop contributing to RRSPs, bothering to collect interest from GICs, stuff like that.  It just doesn't add up over time.  :innocent1:

0f1Pjt2.jpg

NB1 S1 is selling on JD.com (in china) for 1699RMB, a little less than $300. Wow, NB is going to clear generic EUCs out of existence. Probably NB got a big discount on large order of batteries? Maybe NB is trying to get a lot of hesitators out to start EUCing, so that later they will buy NB1 Zs for upgrades? Anyway, at this price, if those people are still watching, then they will not buy EUC anyway. Are we getting many newbies with NB1S1 on this forum recently?

16 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I got to work and put the S1 on the charger, and I'll let our know what the charge for each battery is once we have a full charge.

I don't think the 80% charge is a bad idea at all. I mean, this is a small wheel, not really suitable for long distances or group rides, but absolutely fantastic for last mile transport. You'd just keep this wheel on the charger when you're not using it, and then use it for little errands. Since the battery is so small, wouldn't you be greatly decreasing life by cycling it from 100% to 20% instead of 80% to 20%?

I rode it around town a lot last night, and it is so refined, so elegant. You'd be foolish not to buy this over a generic $200 wheel.

Is it as good as the KS14s? No, of course not but the KS14s is more than three times the price! Buy three of these instead, give one away, keep one at the office, and one in the car.

Compared to my V5F+, it is easier to ride, feels more refined in power (or maybe just a weak ass motor), slower, with less range. But remember, even at 12.5 mph you'd come close to beating the fastest marathoner. Truly legs 2.0.

But on the other hand, cruising around on the sidewalk running errands, stopping to eat in an urban area, riding without any protection at all (got yelled at yesterday for that, by the way) this is just a truly great wheel especially at its price point.

I can't get over just how beautiful this wheel is (not dropped yet or even pedal scrape), and evidently other people feel the same. Everyone who stopped to ask about this wheel was 1. amazed it was a legitimate transportation device, and 2. the shocking price. I probably sold like five around town from that alone.

Anyway, I rant yet again about this wheel but I also think this is a milestone for EUC culture. For the first time ever we have a top-tier wheel at nearly toy prices.

It's the most important development for urban transportation I've seen. Now whether people can actually learn the damned thing is pending, but a personal electric transporter that gets 10-15 miles that cost $300? Which one you prefer, a somewhat crummy bicycle or this beautiful elegant wheel?

Capacity for both batteries each say 2850 mAh. Presumably 5700mAh for both?

Battery 1:

100% charged
Remaining power: 2918mAh
59.17 volts

Battery 2:

100% charged
2934mAh
59.20 volts

43 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I got to work and put the S1 on the charger, and I'll let our know what the charge for each battery is once we have a full charge.

I don't think the 80% charge is a bad idea at all. I mean, this is a small wheel, not really suitable for long distances or group rides, but absolutely fantastic for last mile transport. You'd just keep this wheel on the charger when you're not using it, and then use it for little errands. Since the battery is so small, wouldn't you be greatly decreasing life by cycling it from 100% to 20% instead of 80% to 20%?

I rode it around town a lot last night, and it is so refined, so elegant. You'd be foolish not to buy this over a generic $200 wheel.

Is it as good as the KS14s? No, of course not but the KS14s is more than three times the price! Buy three of these instead, give one away, keep one at the office, and one in the car.

Compared to my V5F+, it is easier to ride, feels more refined in power (or maybe just a weak ass motor), slower, with less range. But remember, even at 12.5 mph you'd come close to beating the fastest marathoner. Truly legs 2.0.

But on the other hand, cruising around on the sidewalk running errands, stopping to eat in an urban area, riding without any protection at all (got yelled at yesterday for that, by the way) this is just a truly great wheel especially at its price point.

I can't get over just how beautiful this wheel is (not dropped yet or even pedal scrape), and evidently other people feel the same. Everyone who stopped to ask about this wheel was 1. amazed it was a legitimate transportation device, and 2. the shocking price. I probably sold like five around town from that alone.

Anyway, I rant yet again about this wheel but I also think this is a milestone for EUC culture. For the first time ever we have a top-tier wheel at nearly toy prices.

It's the most important development for urban transportation I've seen. Now whether people can actually learn the damned thing is pending, but a personal electric transporter that gets 10-15 miles that cost $300? Which one you prefer, a somewhat crummy bicycle or this beautiful elegant wheel?

i was real busy yesterday so i had to skip day two of learning, but on day one, wednesday, to my surprise, for me, a total wheel virgin, the 9bot1s2 seems a lot easier to learn than the ks-16s. i guess it’s the 14” vs 16”. i had the ks-16s on cycling mode and i think i’m gonna put it in player mode because the pedals on the 9bot as they sit now, are stiffer. the s1 and the e+ are both coming today so i’m curious to see if the all have different chargers.

Archived