Amazon: Segway S1 for $299, Mistake? Getting Out of Single-Wheel Business?

Jason McNeil

19 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Dude... just pull the batteries as suggested originally by forum members,  and now again by Segway,  and get on with it. It will take 10 minutes and it's considered a user accessible component. You could have done it, fixed it, and been riding down your drive in the time spent telling us about it and writing to Segway. I'm seeing nothing to suggest your wheel or battery is broken. If anything Hibernation appears to be more a long term storage safety/protection feature. 

It's like you are you trying to make it difficult. 

i have three wheels. not in a hurry to have a forth. maybe u can help me revive my $200 dji inspire battery that went into “hibernation” can’t return it, dji only does 6 month warranty. i’ve already tried the disconnecting trick. pretty sure that’s why the segway tech kept saying “if” because he didn’t know if that would work or not.

i’ve got bunched of li-on batteries around the ranch in “hibernation”. i don’t seem to have the magic kiss to revive them. maybe somebody that is an electrical or battery engineer can explain. i see all kinds of technical info on this forum that seems to contradict other info i’ve found on the net about li-on batteries. doesn’t seem to be a concensus. i’d really like to know because batteries are a big part of everything now.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a like new dji inspire 5800 battery pack for sale half price at $100 free shipping, guaranteed doa for anybody willing to gamble on bringing it out of hibernation. jk. 

been reading up on li-on batteries and sending it back was the right thing to do. google it.

two bulls on a hill. young bull says to the old bull, lets run down there and make sweet love to a couple of those cows down there. the old bull said “no” lets walk down there and make love to all of them.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

i have three wheels. not in a hurry to have a forth. maybe u can help me revive my $200 dji inspire battery that went into “hibernation” can’t return it, dji only does 6 month warranty. i’ve already tried the disconnecting trick. pretty sure that’s why the segway tech kept saying “if” because he didn’t know if that would work or not.

i’ve got bunched of li-on batteries around the ranch in “hibernation”. i don’t seem to have the magic kiss to revive them. maybe somebody that is an electrical or battery engineer can explain. i see all kinds of technical info on this forum that seems to contradict other info i’ve found on the net about li-on batteries. doesn’t seem to be a concensus. i’d really like to know because batteries are a big part of everything now.

It seems that ninebot might have made more S1's than they could sell, you probably got some wheel that has been sitting for a long time and the batteries went in to "hibernation mode".  Maybe that is why they are so inexpensive lately?  I agree with you, it should work on arrival and even if you could get it to charge, who knows how short the battery life is now.  I hope they replace it with a working one, or at least refund your money.

I don't think the dji battery has much chance of being revived,  according to the notification I just got on the ninebot app, they recommend recharging after every use, and that the battery should be recharged every 90 days if in storage.

55 minutes ago, steve454 said:

It seems that ninebot might have made more S1's than they could sell, you probably got some wheel that has been sitting for a long time and the batteries went in to "hibernation mode".  Maybe that is why they are so inexpensive lately?  I agree with you, it should work on arrival and even if you could get it to charge, who knows how short the battery life is now.  I hope they replace it with a working one, or at least refund your money.

I don't think the dji battery has much chance of being revived,  according to the notification I just got on the ninebot app, they recommend recharging after every use, and that the battery should be recharged every 90 days if in storage.

yeah, it’s my $300 to throw away. i appreciate people giving advice but when it comes to buying stuff, i’m sorry, but i’ve probably done more buying of stuff than 100 forum members combined. buying stuff is what a contractor does. i would explain my job as a “spender of other people’s money, mostly very rich people”. that’s what u do as a high end custom home builder. and ur building homes for champions of their industry, so u better spend their money wisely or else u will be sued. that’s what i did. and i guaranteed my work to be free from defects in workmanship or materials, FOREVER!

ninebot gives u 180 days for the battery. after that, ur screwd. just like dji.the replacement battery pack costs as much as the whole wheel. so i’m not gonna be leary about it coming doa to me. i wouldn’t feel right about giving it as a present, especially as squirrelly as these things are anyway. i suspect like u that these are old stock. the ink on the display box seemed slightly faded and that’s just oxidation because it’s delivered inside a protective shipping brown cardboard box. the segway rep should have offered to send me two new batteries. that’s what i would have done if i was segway. course i would have answered the phone too. or called back after u left a message. all i got was, try this and we’ll send u a new one if it doesn’t work. i’m not done with segway yet. 

these li-on batteries are sooo expensive and sketchy. i love cordless. u can imagine with 325 acres to manage, almost everything is cordless, either gas or battery. i love battery, got a new little li-on chainsaw for light duty that’s big fun, but i’m anticipating the day the battery craps out and the replacement battery cost more than their latest cordless chainsaw version is. guess i’m gonna have to shift my research from cancer to keeping li-on batteries alive.

i want segways fat tire z10 for the ranch. if i can master that for my pastures and it’s low maintenance(and it should be, it’s a one wheel electric ez-go golf cart, which btw, i have a broken one of those out here too)then i’ll be set. the ks-18s might work for my needs. i just have a bigger yard than most to get around on. figure 3800’ x3800’. it’s walkable but it’s pretty tedious. i’m replacing my ktm 525 exc or my arabian racehorse for me just getting around the ranch to inspect because i don’t wanna bounce around on my perineum with badass cancer just waiting to pop out and kill me. i’ve got two polaris rangers and my jeep and my 4wd dooley for surveying the ranch but u would not believe the terrible gas mileage.

anyway, all good. had a good conversation with the ups driver so he won’t screw up again and got some info about business, theirs and the neighborhood. he lives like a mile from me. brick and mortar ain’t looking good.

25278-00001aa_ones1_warranty-final.pdf

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Damn it, you caught our Tesla fire (literal) sale. In the fine-print, you'll see that it says that these special Wheels contain the discarded components from the GW factory & will self-destruct in 10 seconds of first power up.

Special? I thought that 'feature' came as standard on Gotway's wheels! :D

Wow this thread went a ways into the weeds!

Mine came in and is charging now. My wife laughed that I ordered one but no hard time so far. No safety gear has come in yet but I have a feeling at 2mph I will try it tomorrow anyhow. Start the timer on my big boy wheel upgrade. Now I'm off to wrap this thing up and make some bad decisions!

40 minutes ago, da5id said:

Wow this thread went a ways into the weeds!

Mine came in and is charging now. My wife laughed that I ordered one but no hard time so far. No safety gear has come in yet but I have a feeling at 2mph I will try it tomorrow anyhow. Start the timer on my big boy wheel upgrade. Now I'm off to wrap this thing up and make some bad decisions!

lucky u, good to hear. i gather u didn’t have to disconnect the batteries?

10 minutes ago, da5id said:

@novazeus nope, lucked out with it showing up Friday versus Monday (and it appears to work). 

cool. double lucky. the ups driver told me they were really swamped by amazon. go smoke a joint and see how ur balance is on that thing and pls report back to me.

looks like u have nice weather for a couple of weeks. i bet it’s nice now. 

19 hours ago, novazeus said:

i agree with some of what u say. i’m not picking on u, i’m just curious, are u a contractor? have u ever built a house or houses for a living? 

i started building house almost 40 years ago. there’s not much if anything i haven’t built. there’s very little i don’t know about the real estate business becaus that’s what i did/do.

i’m not a fan of architects/engineers. if u ask me, they are the cause of these problems u speak of. contractors have a tendency to use common sense. 

I've built a few things, in my time.  From a luxury house in Houston with pool; from foundations up, to my last project, a block of 100 apartments.  What I was trying to say, is, unless you build it yourself or have it built to a hurricane/flood/wildfire protection point of view you won't find any contractor or designer or architect building it on spec. because when Mr and Mrs Joe public comes along and sees its twice the price of the standard built house next door they will run away.  No one will build a spec house with these "custom" features as they will be in inventory for a long time.  Only a determined self-builder with specific goals in mind will foot the extra cost of proofing their house from the prevailing natural disaster.

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I've built a few things, in my time.  From a luxury house in Houston with pool; from foundations up, to my last project, a block of 100 apartments.  What I was trying to say, is, unless you build it yourself or have it built to a hurricane/flood/wildfire protection point of view you won't find any contractor or designer or architect building it on spec. because when Mr and Mrs Joe public comes along and sees its twice the price of the standard built house next door they will run away.  No one will build a spec house with these "custom" features as they will be in inventory for a long time.  Only a determined self-builder with specific goals in mind will foot the extra cost of proofing their house from the prevailing natural disaster.

ur exactly right. every extra dollar i spend building a home correctly or better or more energy efficient, i have to sell harder to get the prospect to make the correct decision. most men will spend more research time on their new mercedes than on a new home that costs waay more. i did a lot of custom on your lot type homes where u kinda had to figure out how many courses of blocks u would need to raise the slab to the correct level. it cost the customer $1500 to $2000 per course(back in the seventies, eighties) and i would sometimes have to refuse to build the house for the customer if he didn’t agree with me and the extra courses. i always said “nobody ever built a house too high”. now in these planned out subdivisions, the contractor doesn’t make that decision, the civil engineers do. so when i see texas, that’s all on the engineers. 

i always loved the genuis prospect that would divide the square footage into the price to compare me to other builders and my response would be, i can build u a barn and even get lower than my competition.

i asked if u ever built anything because i’ve got an older sister who never has built anything, and she knows more about building houses than the two of us together. i i i run into expert contractors and expert cowboys all the time, until u ask them to do something. 

38 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Has anyone seen this truly frightening FUBAR after a failed Firmware update on the S1? The Wheel is stuck spinning at maximum speed, even when it's lying on it's side!
https://www.amazon.com/Segway-Balancing-Personal-Transporter-Control/dp/B01M1SFFNE/B073HSYZZG?ref=dp_vse_rvc3

That's a first.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's a first.

You know whats weird?  Just 5 minutes ago I was manhandling my 16s in order to examine the tire and the rotation arrow, in regards the discussion about the 18s tire on the video thread.  I turned the wheel on to roll it out of the nook I keep it in. and because the room is not lit well I was moving it this way and that, to read the sidewall.  I had it switched on and fully upside down, and was rotating the tire by hand, after a few seconds like this it started to spin and then went into full pedal tilt mode and eventually stopped.  I was able to reproduce it several times, and then something else interesting happened; when I laid it on its side, it took off again at full tilt back mode until it stopped.  When I stood it upright the normal way, it was completely back to normal.  Weird huh??!

14 minutes ago, Smoother said:

You know whats weird?  Just 5 minutes ago I was manhandling my 16s in order to examine the tire and the rotation arrow, in regards the discussion about the 18s tire on the video thread.  I turned the wheel on to roll it out of the nook I keep it in. and because the room is not lit well I was moving it this way and that, to read the sidewall.  I had it switched on and fully upside down, and was rotating the tire by hand, after a few seconds like this it started to spin and then went into full pedal tilt mode and eventually stopped.  I was able to reproduce it several times, and then something else interesting happened; when I laid it on its side, it took off again at full tilt back mode until it stopped.  When I stood it upright the normal way, it was completely back to normal.  Weird huh??!

That is strange. As long as it works in the normal position, that's what really counts.

I don't want to mention ghosts, but ....

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

Has anyone seen this truly frightening FUBAR after a failed Firmware update on the S1? The Wheel is stuck spinning at maximum speed, even when it's lying on it's side!
https://www.amazon.com/Segway-Balancing-Personal-Transporter-Control/dp/B01M1SFFNE/B073HSYZZG?ref=dp_vse_rvc3

That was mentioned back in June.  I think a few people reported the issue, but hopefully they fixed the problem?  Gotta love Ninebot and their Russian Roulette firmware updates.  I think that's why I never updated my Ninebot One E+ ever.  It seems to work so I leave it be.  It's almost as frightening (but not quite :whistling:) as the Gotway MSuper V3S+ firmware that came flashed from the factory that sent Marty airborne.

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That was mentioned back in June.  I think a few people reported the issue, but hopefully they fixed the problem?  Gotta love Ninebot and their Russian Roulette firmware updates.  I think that's why I never updated my Ninebot One E+ ever.  It seems to work so I leave it be.  It's almost as frightening (but not quite :whistling:) as the Gotway MSuper V3S+ firmware that came flashed from the factory that sent Marty airborne.

I remembered the woman's accent.  Hey, now you have two wheels, you could update the ©Flamebot with no worries:whistling:

What started as maybe a slight against Ninebot's lower performing wheel has turned into maybe a good starter or throw around wheel for some people.  It's all good.  The lower pricing might allow more people to get their foot into the sport/hobby/passion/obsession/insanity :wacko:, and who knows what Ewheels upgrade they will choose soon after!  I mean, which do you choose, a $299 Ninebot brand name 14" wheel or a $300 el cheapo Chinese generic wheel?  If these were around way back when, I would have gotten the S1 rather than my generic which is collecting dust downstairs.

At least with these you have the Amazon customer guarantee, easy returns, and the nice looking wheel.  You have to admit, the Ninebot S1 is a beauty in terms of esthetic design.  Too bad the performance doesn't compete with the King Song 14D, but then again the KS can't compete at this pricing!  You are getting a lot of wheel at this price considering the individual costs of the components.  I mean, a battery pack alone costs something like $150-200 USD if I recall correctly?

mine got all whacky a couple of weeks or more ago. seems like i did a software update, couldn’t turn it off , did something or else it would still be running. then it seems like segway did another software revision back to an older version. seem’s like i had to re-calibrate it before it would turn off.

ya, doesn’t inspire confidence. no problems since but haven’t tested it much.

my s2 but pretty much the same i suspect.

Archived