Amazon: Segway S1 for $299, Mistake? Getting Out of Single-Wheel Business?

Jason McNeil

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It might be possible?

Actually I figured this out after lunch. If you pigeon toe the wheel then the curve of the wheel perfectly follows your shin bone, and so it's the easiest wheel to ride one legged. 

Doh. 

Impossible to easiest wheel ever to ride one legged. 

Apologies. 

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I can't even ride my Ninebot one legged nor backwards even with the pads so I'm still trying to figure that one out.  Looks cool in the videos though.

One-legged is almost something you don't learn on its own; you know how to mount, right?

Instead of immediately putting your leg on the foot pad, just delay it for half a second, and try placing the second foot on the foot pad slowly when mounting.

yeah, the 14” 9bot seems easier to ride at this stage. the higher cog of the ks-16s is formidable.plus my pigeon toed stance puts my toe under the rubatex protection for added adhesion. wasn’t planned that way.

B9DD816C-9761-452A-9163-296CE520C05D.jpeg

29 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Actually I figured this out after lunch. If you pigeon toe the wheel then the curve of the wheel perfectly follows your shin bone, and so it's the easiest wheel to ride one legged. 

Doh. 

Impossible to easiest wheel ever to ride one legged. 

Apologies. 

ya, ur grip is everything. when i queried about foot position and somebody said pigeon toed, and i tried that, voila, such a little thing makes a huge difference. kept my pronounced ankle bone off that hard plastic. u definitely don’t stand with ur feet parallel to the wheel, at least it doesn’t appear that way to me or the videos that i’ve seen.

7 hours ago, LanghamP said:

One-legged is almost something you don't learn on its own; you know how to mount, right?

Instead of immediately putting your leg on the foot pad, just delay it for half a second, and try placing the second foot on the foot pad slowly when mounting.

I think I must have skipped that step in the learning process as I was just happy to hop on and get rolling forwards I didn't stop, but I need to practice those steps where you delay moving your other leg onto the wheel and hop along for a while.  Been going in a forwards direction ever since and never looked back!

I ordered one of these too.  They are $399 CAD here and so far still in stock.  I looked into the eBates.ca thing but for 1% cashback on this product (which equates to about $4) it hardly seemed worth adding another company to the list of companies that have my personal info.  The wheel hasn't arrived yet but from a little research it seems that, just as with the MiniPro owners , North Americans get stuck with being sent the lower voltage charger which only charges the batteries to 80%, while those in Europe get the 63V charger.  So in the USA and Canada we're carrying 20% battery capacity that we don't get to use unless we employ aftermarket charging methods. 

Having said that, I am really looking forward to receiving it.  I have had my eye on this wheel for some months and I planned to buy it next Spring.  It was in my Amazon cart for months.  When I saw the price change to $399 CAD I thought it was a mistake.  It's an amazing deal.  The first mod I will be doing is to quieten that obnoxiously loud beeper.

12 hours ago, Duf said:

I agree with absolutely everything he said in the video review.

The tiltback is of some concern. Even though I hit it a bunch of times during the initial period, it still caught me by surprise at the top speed, and I flailed my arms catching my balance. It just goes full on when you hit it.

You'd think after owning the low-earth-orbit launching KS14c I'd get used to any tiltback, but no, still takes me by surprise.

29 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

I ordered one of these too.  They are $399 CAD here and so far still in stock.  I looked into the eBates.ca thing but for 1% cashback on this product (which equates to about $4) it hardly seemed worth adding another company to the list of companies that have my personal info.  The wheel hasn't arrived yet but from a little research it seems that, just as with the MiniPro owners , North Americans get stuck with being sent the lower voltage charger which only charges the batteries to 80%, while those in Europe get the 63V charger.  So in the USA and Canada we're carrying 20% battery capacity that we don't get to use unless we employ aftermarket charging methods. 

Really? Means you just get a 60Volt charger or what?

I would order a 63Volt one then...as soon as possible!

9 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Just checked my Segway branded charger. It says 59.5 volts.

Edit: only people nuts about Wheels talk with such interest about what is essentially a beginner wheel, despite owning far more powerful wheels. I think most of us passed on the Segway/Ninebot because there were better wheels cheaper, but now that the price is so low we can visit what is essentially the first mass produced wheel from the company that invented self-balancing technology.

28 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Just checked my Segway branded charger. It says 59.5 volts.

Edit: only people nuts about Wheels talk with such interest about what is essentially a beginner wheel, despite owning far more powerful wheels. I think most of us passed on the Segway/Ninebot because there were better wheels cheaper, but now that the price is so low we can visit what is essentially the first mass produced wheel from the company that invented self-balancing technology.

Yeah, but that means that you dont use the 310wh...instead on a 59,5V load you will only get it to about 250-260wh range.

I personnaly would buy a 63V charger somewhere....

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Yes, it's the same as with the MiniPro;  In N. America Segway ship them with sub-60v chargers which only charge the battery to about 80% capacity.  I charge my MiniPro to 63 volts before long journeys and get about 8 additional kilometers of range.  My E+ had a 63v charger which did the trick.  European MiniPros and S1s ship with 63 volt chargers.  I have contacted Segway asking why they do this to North American customers, but they either ignore the question or give factually incorrect information.  Their tech support guy knows much less about these machines than we do.  Even really basic stuff, he is completely unaware of or incorrect on.  This is why this forum is the best resource for correct information.  I would love to know the reason for the 80% capacity limit.  Is it because they think most Americans are stupid/ignorant and will not understand things like not riding down-hill after a full charge and not leaving the battery fully charged all winter (and potentially damaging the batteries), and so by only allowing an 80% charge these things are avoided without user intervention?       

58 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Yeah, but that means that you dont use the 310wh...instead on a 59,5V load you will only get it to about 250-260wh range.

I personnaly would buy a 63V charger somewhere....

The More4Mini charger should work perfectly.  Or if you replace the plug on a Ninebot 63V charger that works too (I did this).  Or a variable voltage and current power supply from Amazon works too and is much cheaper than a Segway or Ninebot or More4Mini charger. 

To address the question posed in the title of this thread, my theory is not that Segway are getting out of the unicycle business but that they are simply shifting excess stock before Christmas.  In most of North America it's about to be, or already is, cold, wet and icy for the next few months.  It's the worst possible time to ride EUCs.  So if they have a lot of excess stock, that may need to go asap, rather than sit in warehouses for the next 4-5 months.  When I worked in the e-skateboard business we used to have sales at the start if winter each year to shift stock before the winter dead-zone arrived.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I agree with absolutely everything he said in the video review.

The tiltback is of some concern. Even though I hit it a bunch of times during the initial period, it still caught me by surprise at the top speed, and I flailed my arms catching my balance. It just goes full on when you hit it.

You'd think after owning the low-earth-orbit launching KS14c I'd get used to any tiltback, but no, still takes me by surprise.

Have you ridden a Ninebot One E or E+ to compare the tilt-back with the S1?  My E+ has a fairly enthusiastic tilt-back but nothing bothersome or annoying.  I wonder if the S1's is worse or about the same.  I think the 130 decibel beeps will be much more annoying than the tilt-back.

40 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Have you ridden a Ninebot One E or E+ to compare the tilt-back with the S1?  My E+ has a fairly enthusiastic tilt-back but nothing bothersome or annoying.  I wonder if the S1's is worse or about the same.  I think the 130 decibel beeps will be much more annoying than the tilt-back.

This is the only Segway I've seen or ridden.

I forgot which of my wheels has the tiltback that starts at a fairly low speed, then gradually ramps up from there. However, the type of tiltback I don't like is the type that triggers exactly the same way once you hit a predetermined speed.

An analogy is leaning into a gradually increasing wind; instead there is nothing there and then you're hit suddenly by a hurricane. Crash city.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

This is the only Segway I've seen or ridden.

I forgot which of my wheels has the tiltback that starts at a fairly low speed, then gradually ramps up from there. However, the type of tiltback I don't like is the type that triggers exactly the same way once you hit a predetermined speed.

An analogy is leaning into a gradually increasing wind; instead there is nothing there and then you're hit suddenly by a hurricane. Crash city.

I'm guessing it's about the same as on the E+ then, in which case you'll get used to it quickly, I would expect.  It is certainly not like hitting a hurricane on the E+ or Crash City.  The max speed is reached, tilt-back comes in comfortably to let you know it's time to back off slightly and all is well.  I'm hoping the S1 is the same.  If it is as extreme as you say, that will suck. 

This thread started as a question on the price drop but it's starting to turn into a general discussion on the S1.  There doesn't seem to be a proper place for S1 discussions.  The subcategory for Ninebot should probably have its name updated to "Ninebot/Segway" so discussion on the newer Segway (No longer under the brand name Ninebot) wheels can have a proper place to be discussed and newbies can find the discussions. 

1 minute ago, RooMiniPro said:

This thread started as a question on the price drop but it's starting to turn into a general discussion on the S1.  There doesn't seem to be a proper place for S1 discussions.  The subcategory for Ninebot should probably have its name updated to "Ninebot/Segway" so discussion on the newer Segway (No longer under the brand name Ninebot) wheels can have a proper place to be discussed and newbies can find the discussions. 

Start one.

5 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Start one.

I'm not a moderator, so I can't create a subcategory or edit its name.  Hopefully a Mod will see this and edit the Ninebot category name and all future discussion specific to the S1 will go there.

7 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

I'm not a moderator, so I can't create a subcategory or edit its name.  Hopefully a Mod will see this and edit the Ninebot category name and all future discussion specific to the S1 will go there.

Start a thread, not a category. "S1 Discussions"

Archived