Amazon: Segway S1 for $299, Mistake? Getting Out of Single-Wheel Business?

Jason McNeil

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Incredible, the S1 is listed for just $299!  The S1 is the best thing to ever happen, nearly everyone who owns one, wants to upgrade, go faster ;) 

The primary materials periodic elements that go into the Wheel probably cost more than this! 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1SFFNE 

It has 25% 1 star ratings - defective wheels, batteries not chargable again, ...

someone got a punch of defective wheels - s1‘s that did not pass the tests? Returned wheels?

27 minutes ago, Chriull said:

someone got a punch of defective wheels - s1‘s that did not pass the tests? Returned wheels?

Amazon Prime is ruthless on Returns, whatever reason the Customer gives—it doesn't work, too difficult, not fast enough, not enough shine on the plastic—they can return it. These are stated as new.

Amazon takes a 16% commission on the sale, I'd say that their return rate is probably around 20%; as such, I wouldn't be surprised if the economics of selling on Amazon isn't working out for Segway & this could be the last fire-sale bonanza for this model. 

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Wow :blink: at least people have a fairly good starter wheel for Christmas.  Hopefully those battery issues and wild take-off issues some people have been encountering are not too common.

Isnt this your wheel before your Tesla? I'm wondering if I should get this as a kick around wheel for when people come over.

I have a Ninebot One E+ which is the 16" older big brother to the 14" S2/S1/A1/Letterconfusion.  Mine has a 320 Wh battery pack while these S2's have newer, fancy plastic encased (like a laptop) removable battery packs with a combined 310 Wh.  I think it was targeted to people looking for a lighter, smaller wheel that maybe they could take onto an aircraft.  The S1 lacks the comfy side panels for the legs, but you can get add-on pads for the sides and front/back.  The S1 I believe also has a handy cut-off when you lift the handle.

Ninebot One E+ (Flame Edition)

DHYR8mA8_400x400.jpg 

Ninebot One S1(Pasty White Edition)

Ninebot-One-S1-by-Segway-4.jpg

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I have a Ninebot One E+ which is the 16" older big brother to the 14" S2/S1/A1/Letterconfusion.  Mine has a 320 Wh battery pack while these S2's have newer, fancy plastic encased (like a laptop) removable battery packs with a combined 310 Wh.  I think it was targeted to people looking for a lighter, smaller wheel that maybe they could take onto an aircraft.  The S1 lacks the comfy side panels for the legs, but you can get add-on pads for the sides and front/back.  The S1 I believe also has a handy cut-off when you lift the handle.

Ninebot One E+ (Flame Edition)

DHYR8mA8_400x400.jpg 

Ninebot One S1(Pasty White Edition)

Ninebot-One-S1-by-Segway-4.jpg

That was a great review of the S1 S2 A1 whatever.  Now I know what the main thing is that is not attractive to me.  It's  too white and no pads.  But seems to be good quality.  Looks like the IPS Zero.  image.jpeg.6d4bd09eda82bd538bd1a31770e5f536.jpeg   

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

That was a great review of the S1 S2 A1 whatever.  Now I know what the main thing is that is not attractive to me.  It's  too white and no pads. 

At that price I would buy it just to decorate. @Hunka Hunka Burning Love‘s Flammybot would look pale in comparison. :P

37875189744_e9670891b5_b.jpg

10 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Incredible, the S1 is listed for just $299!  The S1 is the best thing to happen, nearly everyone who owns one wants to upgrade, go faster ;) 

The primary materials periodic elements that go into the Wheel probably cost more than this! 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1SFFNE 

In Germany, there were several sales last month for the s2 (320wh) for 299 euros on Amazon and a large electronics retailer. It made a perfect 4th wheel for kids. Urban360 rates it as the most reliable one after INMOTION v8/v5.

8 hours ago, aalenkin said:

I just read the 25 percent 1 STAR ratings, wow.............seems like this wheel is a disaster.

The wheel is good. The seller (maybe) and Amazon reviewers are a disaster. People who try to ride for 10 seconds and then conclude it's impossible, people who give low rating because of delivery delay or damaged package, etc.

Better trust some knowledgable opinions (here) than Amazon reviewers. Ninebots and the S2 are boring, but safe (and cheap), and seem to be pretty reliable. At least I haven't heard anything else. So either the Ninebot people don't post here, or it's not that bad.

Anyone who wants to get a beginner wheel for little money, this offer is fantastic. Sure, you get a much better 14D for more than twice the price (almost 3 times)... but for 300 this is quite the steal. Nothing to complain about in my book:efee47c9c8:

47 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

OMG I woke up this morning to buy it, and it's sold out!

Sorry, I bought out the inventory. Kidding...

It was a thought, buying directly from the KS/GW/IM factories in large order quantities, a $299 S1 was the best deal around.

Effective today, & the next week, all the Wheels on eWheels.com are going to be discounted by $25 & a free set of eWheels branded wrist-guards thrown in as well. Might not be the 50% from Segway, but if you've had your eye on a 16S/14D/14S/18S/MTen3, you're not going to find better prices in North America.  

6 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

OMG I woke up this morning to buy it, and it's sold out!

Nooooooo!!!!!

I just got up to do the same. :( 

Per my previous post a majority of gripes and returns were due to the battery and charger.

Most of the reviewers said the unit wouldn't charge or the battery would be dead just after a short while.

40 minutes ago, aalenkin said:

Nooooooo!!!!!

Per my previous post a majority of gripes and returns were due to the battery and charger.

Most of the reviewers said the unit wouldn't charge or the battery would be dead just after a short while.

LOL I can't believe you hesitated to buy this wheel!  :blink1:

9 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

LOL I can't believe you hesitated to buy this wheel!  :blink1:

Sadly, like most of my decisions I tend to do research and read public opinion.  I was also debating about $350 with tax etc is not too far off from an IPS I5 or similar wheel I was looking at. I know, I was pretty bummed out this morning, but everything happens for a reason.  Black Friday is not too far off so who knows there may be more sales, maybe on even better EUC's coming up!

The ratings on Amazon weren't too impressive, mostly taking about defects and batteries etc....I wonder what batch they were selling?

Just now, aalenkin said:

Sadly, like most of my decisions I tend to do research and read public opinion.  I was also debating about $350 with tax etc is not too far off from an IPS I5 or similar wheel I was looking at. I know, I was pretty bummed out this morning, but everything happens for a reason.  Black Friday is not too far off so who knows there may be more sales, maybe on even better EUC's coming up!

The ratings on Amazon weren't too impressive, mostly taking about defects and batteries etc....I wonder what batch they were selling?

Yeah, it's tough when you're new and you're flooded with information.  As long as you're patient, you'll find another good deal.  You're not the only one that missed out!  I should have paid more attention when Jason posted the ad myself. 

Just now, mezzanine said:

Yeah, it's tough when you're new and you're flooded with information.  As long as you're patient, you'll find another good deal.  You're not the only one that missed out!  I should have paid more attention when Jason posted the ad myself. 

Fingers crossed for both of us!!  If I see anything, ill update this post!

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ninebots and the S2 are boring, but safe (and cheap), and seem to be pretty reliable. At least I haven't heard anything else. So either the Ninebot people don't post here, or it's not that bad.

@Jonathan Tolhurst you bored of the Ninebot yet?  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 8:24 AM, aalenkin said:

Nooooooo!!!!!

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/8899ba-amazon-segway-s1-for-299-mistake-getting-out-of-single-wheel-business/?do=findComment&comment=133355

back on sale

Archived