Has anybody Heard of this?

DeadFly

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:w00t2::dribble: 4500-8000 W motor?  Whaaaat?  Looks like a giant fidget spinner of possibilities.... sweeeet... just hope it doesn't have super high pricing like an original Segway or Inventist Solowheel...  

Anyone signing up for Kickstarter?  I think I've seen this Austin guy before doing some awesome tricks on a Mten2 ages ago...  Looking at the videos, the Pulse Glider has a medium wide tire, but is only maybe 14" in diameter?  Pedals are at or near axle height so good clearance and spinny?

Is this the same guy?

Yep he mentions his name in this video:

I've signed up to find out when it hits Kickstarter. 

Upto 25mph on rough and 35mph on smooth and upto 60 miles @ 20mph sounds great considering it's size. All that power too. I'm not sure about the 12"... 

They need to get this out quick as the new Ninebots will be out soon and they do look a tasty option!

Call me a negative Nelly, but I'm fearing that all those impressive features and specifications will ultimately come with astronomical pricing.  Does anyone know if Austin is based in Shenzhen?  That would help to have access to cheap production facilities while keeping design and engineering based on Western principles.  I don't know where Austin got his formal education (I'm assuming the West, maybe Cali), but his product looks very exciting if he can deliver!

Often great concepts and ideas end up being scrapped as production and certification costs put a huge dent in the works.  Here's hoping he is able to deliver a competitive product that is as amazing as what his website puts it out to be.

29 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:w00t2::dribble: 4500-8000 W motor?  Whaaaat?  Looks like a giant fidget spinner of possibilities.... sweeeet... just hope it doesn't have super high pricing like an original Segway or Inventist Solowheel...  

Anyone signing up for Kickstarter?  I think I've seen this Austin guy before doing some awesome tricks on a Mten2 ages ago...  Looking at the videos, the Pulse Glider has a medium wide tire, but is only maybe 14" in diameter?  Pedals are at or near axle height so good clearance and spinny?

Is this the same guy?

Yep he mentions his name in this video:

Looks like him, younger. Funny how he's so impressed with the ability to go 16mph. We've come a long was in just a couple of years :D

33 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Is this the same guy?

Yep he mentions his name in this video

OK, this video is great. His enthusiasm for the old Mten is how I feel about the new one. The new model is just a huge upgrade, but just as fun - probably more because of the additional power.

He showed some new moves that I need to start practicing :thumbup:

Looking further at the triangular design, I wonder if those corner black things are some sort of laser distance detectors to help assist with orientation and balancing.  He had them circled in one of his concept renders...

His control board looks interesting.  He must have his MOSFETs mounted on the backside.  Looks like he took the top horizontal mount approach like the MCM4 and Tesla...

752507_img3306.png

4 hours ago, Philfree said:

Perhaps a new wheel coming in the next month : pulse glider . 

http://www.austinglider.com

Next month is very optimistic, or?

As i understand it, he wants to finance this wheel with a Kickstarter campagne, that would be more a year then....

And btw.: He is talking about his own wheel since about 2 years :-)

I love the wide tyre, but not sure I "get" it being 12" and I'm fairly ambivalent about that top heavy shape unless there is a good reason for it I haven't grasped yet. Love the high and also, by the look of it quite big peddles- should be comfortable and very manoeuvrable.  

What I am really concerned about is the in the description which, unfortunately has enough "technobabble" to sound like bullsh*t which really is a great pity. 

for example: "State of the Art SuperCapacitive Hybrid Power System" and this as the picture of this fantastic new system

IMG_0718.GIF.54e1347d345fa2c4821f55cf2b44af36.GIF

Doh! A battery flowing current through a resistor and not a capacitor in sight - something they felt the need to steal from an electricity 101 course perhaps? 

Not to mention the "Designer 4500w Pulse Motor" which shows a standard BLDC motor (they are, of course, all "pulse" motors). I will, of course, completely ignore the fact that you cannot get a sustained 4500w motor into a  direct drive 12" wheel unless you are running 100's of volts through it  or very low torque. You could, perhaps get very short pulses of 4500 or more Watts - but then that would be completely meaningless.

So cut through the babble and it looks like a pretty standard 12" wheel with a fat tyre, which (IMHO) will make it a lot nicer device in itself. Of course up to 60 miles from a 9Kg A.U.W. wheel also means they have invented an entirely new energy system to go with it as well - cold fusion perhaps?

Oh no! Wait a minute it is a "State of the Art SuperCapacitive HYBRID Power System" system so it must be a petrol engined generator charging a supercapacitor that then powers the wheel - wow that would certainly improve the range!

16 hours ago, Philfree said:

Perhaps a new wheel coming in the next month : pulse glider . 

http://www.austinglider.com

Exciting :w00t2: and Austin is a fantastic rider :

The wheel really looks super reactive and smooth at the same time, very sweet, and only 9kg and good pedal clearance. Austin being involved is another plus IMHO. Just that 12" remains to be in my mind a toy-for-fun only wheel.

@Keith so do you get the feeling that this might be more show and less go?  It does sound like quite a quantum leap in technology if he can develop a 4000-8000 W sustained motor out of the blue like that.  Is this just all an early April Fool's joke maybe or a long con to get some Kickstarter funding?  That control board in the photo didn't seem to be that different from other offerings.  Maybe it was just a testing board though, I don't know.

29 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It does sound like quite a quantum leap in technology if he can develop a 4000-8000 W sustained motor out of the blue like that.

I don't see why a 4kW sustained power electric motor would be anything remotely impressive as of 2017. The problem with EUCs is that they need a too large motor, not that motors cannot be made small enough to fit the space. I am not saying this one has 4kW, I don't think so. The weight would be quite impressive then. I don't think the secret of this wheel is the motor. 

20 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Looking further at the triangular design, I wonder if those corner black things are some sort of laser distance detectors to help assist with orientation and balancing.  He had them circled in one of his concept renders...

His control board looks interesting.  He must have his MOSFETs mounted on the backside.  Looks like he took the top horizontal mount approach like the MCM4 and Tesla...

752507_img3306.png

This is actually a super old Rockwheel PCB, used only during the first week of the initial setup period to sort out the motor and mechanics.  Far beyond that system now...

The leak vid is the real deal, every part built for it's purpose, not just some cn ebike parts here.  I've spent the past 4 years dedicated to developing what is now know as the Pulse Glider.

2 of those years were spent in china learning industry level design/engineering in startup environments from world class engineers and industrial designers.  The posted portfolio is a few of the client project examples from contract's I've picked up to bootstrap my development.

Every system within the premise of self balancing has been re-evaluated from the ground up and meshed with the other parts in the most effective manners.  The level of calibration that goes into this is really unbelievable, but you will see the performance difference for yourself in the upcoming video that was shot today.  Hit 25+ mph on rough terrain.

I am no longer offering prototypes for sale at this time but will launch a Kickstarter in the next few months bringing many fundamental design changes/enhancements within my companies ownership in Intellectual Property. I'm not concerned about ninebot/solowheel etc as my design isn't a copy of theirs and utilizes a different approach entirely.

I haven't asked anyone to back anything yet, this forum post is mostly to feel out the communities response to a high spec design option before I invested my effort into it.

And I'll be real guys; none of my main advancements are set up to be shown in demo videos yet as my entire focus is on building/testing/moding the design as opposed to filming it. (not including today shoot, editing video over the next few days so stay posted).  The model in the leak is 4kw+ near continuous as measured by an inline volt/amp/watt/wh meter.  Not just guesses.  Honestly I'm surprised that was the first person to make it into the unicycle groups as I've been riding around San Francisco for a few months now...  And it's not vaporware as I've been committed for the last 4 years already, and staying committed till the ultimate wheel exits no matter what.  This is my life, I live and breath to do the R&D in this tech (live/breath etc for other reasons too...)

Anticipated kickstarter spec: 1600wh (60mi at 20mph avg), 35mph, 12.5in (more sizing coming later), 8kw in all weather, all hill conditions, all riders (300lbs full potential, 400lbs limited speed option), USA Assembly and QC, weight of 9-12kg (that's like a 7kg battery so that's part of the min weight cap, but still many kg under the segway z10 with far more range and power), 30 min charge to 85%, app integration with new pro balance response tuning options, bright headlight/tail light, battery indicator visible from riding position, water bottle connector, locking point, not sharp pedals the size of your feet but not smaller than them, and things that I can't talk about now due to IP.

16 hours ago, Keith said:

I love the wide tyre, but not sure I "get" it being 12" and I'm fairly ambivalent about that top heavy shape unless there is a good reason for it I haven't grasped yet. Love the high and also, by the look of it quite big peddles- should be comfortable and very manoeuvrable.  

What I am really concerned about is the in the description which, unfortunately has enough "technobabble" to sound like bullsh*t which really is a great pity. 

for example: "State of the Art SuperCapacitive Hybrid Power System" and this as the picture of this fantastic new system

IMG_0718.GIF.54e1347d345fa2c4821f55cf2b44af36.GIF

Doh! A battery flowing current through a resistor and not a capacitor in sight - something they felt the need to steal from an electricity 101 course perhaps? 

Not to mention the "Designer 4500w Pulse Motor" which shows a standard BLDC motor (they are, of course, all "pulse" motors). I will, of course, completely ignore the fact that you cannot get a sustained 4500w motor into a  direct drive 12" wheel unless you are running 100's of volts through it  or very low torque. You could, perhaps get very short pulses of 4500 or more Watts - but then that would be completely meaningless.

So cut through the babble and it looks like a pretty standard 12" wheel with a fat tyre, which (IMHO) will make it a lot nicer device in itself. Of course up to 60 miles from a 9Kg A.U.W. wheel also means they have invented an entirely new energy system to go with it as well - cold fusion perhaps?

Oh no! Wait a minute it is a "State of the Art SuperCapacitive Hybrid Power System" system so it must be a petrol engined generator charging a supercapacitor that then powers the wheel - wow that would certainly improve the range!

I wouldn't post my actual technical solution... Go to the FB groups and read the experiences by known members, it's real.

33 minutes ago, Austin Marhold said:

Anticipated kickstarter spec: 1600wh (60mi at 20mph avg), 35mph, 12.5in (more sizing coming later), 8kw in all weather, all hill conditions, all riders (300lbs full potential, 400lbs limited speed option), USA Assembly and QC, weight of 9-12kg (that's like a 7kg battery so that's part of the min weight cap, but still many kg under the segway z10 with far more range and power), 30 min charge to 85%, app integration with new pro balance response tuning options, bright headlight/tail light, battery indicator visible from riding position, water bottle connector, locking point, not sharp pedals the size of your feet but not smaller than them, and things that I can't talk about now due to IP.

1600wh....30 min charge to 85%????

Respects...i am to lazy to do the mathematics -exactly- now-....but that would be about 3000Watt Charger ....against the 120Watt standard chargers we have today!  40Amps? Seams you also invented new batterie technologie :-)

Well I certainly hope you prove to be the real deal!  It's nice to see the passion and enthusiasm for these gizmos there (and in your videos!), and if you can deliver on those specification promises I am hopeful you will be very successful!

We seem to be currently slaves to Chinese design with questionable components and firmware.  We definitely need some movers and shakers with Western sensibilities and design sense in the mix.

It's very smart to keep designs and IP kept under wraps as everyone and their dog copies things in China.  I wonder whether approaching Jason McNeil might be an idea as he might be interested in what you have brewing on the horizon if I am reading things right.  Having a well respected distributor on your side can be a good thing.

I just wonder what pricing will be like though as it's difficult to be competitive with Chinese based companies I think.

Well.

I'm going to do this in classical fashion: positive - critical - positive ;)

First of all, I love seeing people on fire with the passion for R&D. I also love seeing someone saying that what we think is the top specs ain't.

To be a bit nit-picky, I would prefer a larger rim, at least 16". Not that 12.5" is a bad thing for fun, but to make it a more versatile everyday vehicle. But the jury's out on that one, since stability and all that depends on more than just wheel-size, and fun is not to be belittled :)

I realise that it would mean more weight, and less torque for any give power. But I'm prepared to live with that if I can go on partly low quality roads to work and back everyday, without the fatigue of controlling a twitchy unicycle.

Personally I hope that the 4kW/8kW will be practical in production. We really need that kind of quantum leap in capability, and I don't think the Chinese will provide it anytime soon - unless someone prods them with a stick. A pulse-glider with serious power would be the perfect stick.

That's not to say the project is only interesting for prodding the other manufacturers, it seems a beast in itself.

For the future of EUCs however, we will not only need products like these in themselves, but also as a way to force an environment where the big players feel the heat of competition.

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Respects...i am to lazy to do the mathematics -exactly- now-....but that would be about 3000Watt Charger ....against the 120Watt standard chargers we have today!  40Amps? Seams you also invented new batterie technologie :-)

Hmm you are right, that is just not going to work on a typical domestic outlet. The charger would need to be roughly 2700W.  Not happening.  Maybe there is someone else doing the electrical engineering, and 85% refers to the voltage level rather than the capacity or some one tried to scale up some numbers without checking the limits. 

6 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

When I plugin a Tesla model S at home, it charges with 11 KW (via 3 phases on a red IEC60309 plug, 32 Amp circuit breaker), no supercharger necessary.

Why should it not be possible to charge with 3 KW via one phase, if you put the wheel in a refrigerator ? :)

Sure, battery technology is a question and must be quite different :), but from a charging point of view it would not be a problem, if you keep your children away.

Archived