Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

35 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Marty BackeSo your not alone here is a short Mten3 video. This one is tough for me to watch!:facepalm:

Oh man. The footage was looking cool. At first I thought you had somehow programmed it to do a turning maneuver as it was filming you. Instead I guess it was out of control :o

I thought when you buy a drone the standard procedure is to buy lots of extra blades since they break so often. I obviously have yet to buy one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Oh man. The footage was looking cool. At first I thought you had somehow programmed it to do a turning maneuver as it was filming you. Instead I guess it was out of control :o

I thought when you buy a drone the standard procedure is to buy lots of extra blades since they break so often. I obviously have yet to buy one. 

The active track hates quick maneuvers. Yep I have extra blades. First time I ever needed to replace any. I need to make sure nothing else happened before I fly it again. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

How will you open up the wheel if (when) you need to?  The handlebar wrap is going to prevent you from removing the fenders, and you need to remove them to get at the internals of the wheel.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, radial said:

How will you open up the wheel if (when) you need to?  The handlebar wrap is going to prevent you from removing the fenders, and you need to remove them to get at the internals of the wheel.  

The sticky tape on the wrap is barely strong enough to hold it on the wheel. It's the electrical tape on the ends which is doing all the work and that's easily removed. I think I could literally remove the wrap in under 2 minutes (without destroying it). So no worries.

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The sticky tape on the wrap is barely strong enough to hold it on the wheel. It's the electrical tape on the ends which is doing all the work and that's easily removed. I think I could literally remove the wrap in under 2 minutes (without destroying it). So no worries.

Have you ever seen that tubular pipe insulation with the velcro seam?  I wonder if something like that might not work.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, radial said:

Have you ever seen that tubular pipe insulation with the velcro seam?  I wonder if something like that might not work.  

Yes, but I suspect it would be too bulky. This is working really good for me - super comfy now :thumbup:

15 hours ago, Stanor said:

D32A5E67-87A7-49BC-8AF9-40F3BB872830.jpeg

3F04D7F3-2B65-46A8-9D66-BF1323DF04B7.jpeg

1FEFD6FE-2091-4611-9187-0C0FD7A911C7.jpeg

Yeah, the OEM ankle pads on the Mten3 are pretty sketchy.  Seems like someone was trying to shave a few cents off the unit cost by using cheap (and really inferior) material.  When I recently took my  wheel apart, one of the pads completely disintegrated so I'll be devising some sort of replacement.  I bet Rehab could fabricate something fancy (hint, hint).

• Like 1

On 5 November 2017 at 11:49 AM, Smoother said:

Curious about this demonstration, I subjected my ks14c to the same test.  Guess what! Same result, exactly.  5 slow beeps on every lay down, and even the occasional wheel spin when going over.  I think possibly, it was quicker to get back in balance mode, not entirely sure though.  So @Psices no KS14c golf either.?

Today I subjected my ks16s to this "tip over and and observe" test.  NOTHING, NADA, RIEN.  Completely  silent.  It went to sleep like an exhausted puppy. No, occasional wheel spin. But, when I picked it up,  it went into balancing mode before it reached vertical (about 5 or 10'degrees before vertical.  Again, in complete silence.  So good for golf? YES!

one proviso; the pedals are very stiff to fold and unfold.  So to avoid divots, I'd recommend the magnet mod.  And for soft grass, maybe the 2.5" tire mod too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/11/2017 at 4:35 PM, Marty Backe said:

Yes, the range that I'm getting is about what I expected for this size battery.

Honestly, I expected a performance of about 35/40 km at a speed of 15 kmh. My fastwheel with a battery of 260 wh makes about 25 km at that speed.

12 minutes ago, paolinger said:

Honestly, I expected a performance of about 35/40 km at a speed of 15 kmh. My fastwheel with a battery of 260 wh makes about 25 km at that speed.

15kh/m is pretty slow. I was going between 20 km/h and 25 km/h during my range test. I'm pretty sure that if I ran it that slow I would have gotten the numbers you are listing. But my range test would have taken forever, and who rides that slow? ;)

• Upvote 2

I've read through this (entire long !) thread with interst, in comparing it to the IPS i5, which latter I'm leaning towards. I'm very much focused on a "last mile" sort of use, but I speculate this will be my only eWheel (yes, I know I'm talking to a group of enthusiasts ...), so it would be nice if it were fun too.   Important to me is size and weight --- of course.   I'm not too concerned about my ability to learn to ride this, as I'm comfortable riding a non-motorized unicycle and have ridden segways, so shouldn't be too difficult.

In doing due diligance (vs. the i5), I considered the Gotway Luffy and concluded that the range of the Luffy was a little lower than I like.  But then I started reading this thread about the mten3.

So question:  I'd love to see really accurate, reliable weight for the stock mten3 FOR A SPECIFIC BATTERY SIZE.    It's available with either a 325W or 512W battery, but the weight is just listed at 22 pounds.  I tend to trust manufacturer weights about as much as I do their range estimates.   So: hard and reliable data anyone?   Ditto, for that matter, if anyone has weighed the IPS i5, but I realize this isn't the thread for that.

It seems clear, though, that the IPS i5 will be the lightest option, okay, about the same weight as but clearly superior range to the Luffy.  

I wonder if the relatively thin and higher pressure 14" wheel on the i5 will be better in some types of terrain over the wider, lower pressure 10" tire of the luffy and mten3 ?  Or rather, which will be better in what situations.  I anticipate mostly pavement, but occasional fairly-compact gravel would be a nice option, or compressed wood chips type of trail as well.

I had the impression from one video that with the 10" Gotways that one could sort of pinch the EUC between legs/ankles and literally hop to jump up on modest curbs, which strikes me as a handy thing on occasion.   Not sure if the thinner i5 would allow that, or at least as easily?  Also something I presume is more do-able as the EUC weight goes down.

I had originally felt that a KS 14D would be the right thing for me, but I really, really like the idea of substantially lower weight and volume of an EUC that I can put easily (laying FLAT) under a bus seat or in a modest backpack.   For any "last mile" device, the problem for me isn't what to do when visiting someone in their home, it's when I go to a restaurant, public library, grocery store, etc.  Being able to just easily carry it in with me is a winner.  I'm not keen on all the beeping that the i5 does, but speculate that I can simply turn off the alarms once I've spent a little time learning the quirks of this particular unit.

Sorry to go on so long; I'll appreciate response to any of the above.  But what I'm particularly keen on is accurate weights, particularly for the 325W version of the mten3 (and/or course the IPS i5).    Thanks in advance!

On the one hand, I think the i5 form factor and weight is superior for what you want. You forget it's a EUC when you carry it. Super pleasant. But the mten3 battery size and motor power/speed is just so much better.

@Marty Backe Can you tell how the mten3 fares offroad? Comparable to what the i5 does in Ian's test?

@brianle Ignore the beeping, he is going down hills with a full battery, every wheel would beep then. Also he weighs it, under 8kg I think. Here's another video (German but English subtitles).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

@brianle

• The weight of all mten3 variants should be the same. They just use different cell capacities for each (judging from the ewheels mten3 page), but the number of cells is the same, so the weights will be nearly identical. (This is a good excuse to go for the highest capacity should you choose the mten3:efee8319ab:)
  • What's your weight? If you're too heavy (like 100kg), the i5 might be borderline too weak.
Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

On the one hand, I think the i5 form factor and weight is superior for what you want. You forget it's a EUC when you carry it. But the ten3 battery size and motor power/speed is just so much better.

@Marty Backe Can you tell how the mten3 fares offroad? Comparable to what the i5 does in Ian's test?

@brianle Ignore the beeping, he is going down hills with a full battery, every wheel would beep then.

The Mten3 does fine off-road. It suffers where traction is needed, such as going up a steep hill. I've had no problems on grass covered rolling hills or dirt/gravel paths. It's not ideal, but it doesn't struggle.

The Mten3 tire is very slick (tread is almost non-existent).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wow, multiple (good) responses already!  Thanks.

"What's your weight? If you're too heavy (like 100kg), the i5 might be borderline too weak."

About 160 pounds, so in the range of 72 to 73 kg.   Or a bit over 11 stone for those of you from the UK ... :-)

I'm surprised at the comment that all battery variants would weigh the same for the mten3 --- I see the logic, it's just not something I've run into before.

I guess a way of thinking about this is that there are two scenarios: (1) carrying/storing the EUC, and (2) riding it.  I'm optimizing more for the carrying/storing aspect than it seems that most people do.  In terms of carry/store, the IPS i5 wins in terms of weight (mten3 is 24% heavier), and wins in terms of overall size really, depending on what you optimize for: the i5 is so thin that the total volume of the unit is a lot less if I recall correctly.  And it can lay down flat (when turned off first for no beeping ...).

While I understand from this thread that the mten3 is a fun ride, it's hard to synthesize from that whether the ride is qualitatively better --- and enough better --- to compensate for the "carrying/storing" scenario.    If I can get 10 miles of effective range from the i5, I'm good --- of course I'd like more, but it's always about making trade-offs.  If I love EUC's, then maybe I would later step up and buy another one that's not targeted at "last mile".    And while I wish the wheel of the i5 were a little wider, I've got to think that a 14" wheel is going to handle some modest obstructions better than will a 10" wheel. 

One thing that gives me pause is the 12 mph (20 km/h) speed limit of the i5.  My reaction is "that should be good enough", and for a last mile use, it really should. But I say that with zero experience.   I have to say that I'm not inclined to ride with a full helmet with face shield, elbow pads, knee pads, etc, so in that context, not going too-o fast in commuting might not be a bad thing. 

Ditto about velocity when interacting with pedestrians.    On a regular (aka non-motorized) unicycle, you're truly silent, and FWIW even a bit more elevated.  It startles the hell out of people when you come up behind them on the sidewalk sometimes.  In any sort of pedestrian density I would definitely want to keep the speed down.     I'm not sure which EUC would offer better low-speed control, but my sense is that either of them would.

I really appreciate the opportunity to sort of "think out loud" about this stuff and get feedback from folks who have experience and related knowledge.   Thanks again.

• Like 2

I re-read the above and noted Marty’s comment that the mten3 “makes the i5 look giant by comparison”.   I looked at this a bit and conclude that this is only true if you're looking at a profile view from the side, i.e., accounting for how much thinner the i5 is.

Skip the next few lines of italicized text if you don't care about details of this.

================================================================

Specs I read show the i5 “Unicycle Dimension” to be 468 x 364 x 110 mm

An illustration for the mten3 shows height of 17.7”, length of 11”, width of 5.6”

In mm, that’s about 450 x 279 x 142

If we pretend that this represents a perfect rectangular structure (hey, close enough … ?), then the volume of the i5 is about 18.7 million millimeters squared (okay, maybe I should have gone with cubic inches …).

The mten3 is 17.8 million millimeters squared.

So really, the two are quite close in overall ~size, it’s just if you look at them from the sides in profile view that the i5 looks so much bigger.      I guess the preference for which is ‘smaller’ depends on exactly where and how you’re storing it.

================================================================

Practically speaking, I’d no doubt do fine with either of them from a size/volume perspective.

One other factor perhaps worth mentioning is that if I like what I get, it’s possible my wife would end up getting one too --- we recently went from having two cars down to one, partly from me using an eBike a lot, but looking to use an EUC now too to make bus travel quicker and easier.    If I'm leaning towards the lighter weight unit, she’ll definitely be better off with one, insofar as it rides well for her.       

35 minutes ago, brianle said:

Wow, multiple (good) responses already!  Thanks.

About 160 pounds, so in the range of 72 to 73 kg.   Or a bit over 11 stone for those of you from the UK ... :-)

I'm surprised at the comment that all battery variants would weigh the same for the mten3 --- I see the logic, it's just not something I've run into before.

I guess a way of thinking about this is that there are two scenarios: (1) carrying/storing the EUC, and (2) riding it.  I'm optimizing more for the carrying/storing aspect than it seems that most people do.  In terms of carry/store, the IPS i5 wins in terms of weight (mten3 is 24% heavier), and wins in terms of overall size really, depending on what you optimize for: the i5 is so thin that the total volume of the unit is a lot less if I recall correctly.  And it can lay down flat (when turned off first for no beeping ...).

While I understand from this thread that the mten3 is a fun ride, it's hard to synthesize from that whether the ride is qualitatively better --- and enough better --- to compensate for the "carrying/storing" scenario.    If I can get 10 miles of effective range from the i5, I'm good --- of course I'd like more, but it's always about making trade-offs.  If I love EUC's, then maybe I would later step up and buy another one that's not targeted at "last mile".    And while I wish the wheel of the i5 were a little wider, I've got to think that a 14" wheel is going to handle some modest obstructions better than will a 10" wheel. 

One thing that gives me pause is the 12 mph (20 km/h) speed limit of the i5.  My reaction is "that should be good enough", and for a last mile use, it really should. But I say that with zero experience.   I have to say that I'm not inclined to ride with a full helmet with face shield, elbow pads, knee pads, etc, so in that context, not going too-o fast in commuting might not be a bad thing. 

Ditto about velocity when interacting with pedestrians.    On a regular (aka non-motorized) unicycle, you're truly silent, and FWIW even a bit more elevated.  It startles the hell out of people when you come up behind them on the sidewalk sometimes.  In any sort of pedestrian density I would definitely want to keep the speed down.     I'm not sure which EUC would offer better low-speed control, but my sense is that either of them would.

I really appreciate the opportunity to sort of "think out loud" about this stuff and get feedback from folks who have experience and related knowledge.   Thanks again.

There's no perfect wheel. You are emphasizing last mile usage (i5 wins), but then you talk about a little trail riding, having fun, etc. Since you keep coming back to last-mile and weight, seems like the i5 is a no-brainer. 12mph is fine for last-mile usage. If you want fun, you may become disenchanted with the wheel after you've used it for a bit.

If it's truly last-mile, buy the i5. But once you start waffling a little, choices get tougher. 

• Like 2

Makes sense Marty --- thanks.

Part of the reason I'm bashing on this so hard is that I was convinced that the KS 14D was the optimal choice.  Then I read something about the i5, and mulled that over and decided that IT was the best.  Then I saw something about the Luffy ---

I think that I need to wait a couple of days without changing my mind again before buying anything!  At least the i5 isn't an expensive first step.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, brianle said:

Makes sense Marty --- thanks.

Part of the reason I'm bashing on this so hard is that I was convinced that the KS 14D was the optimal choice.  Then I read something about the i5, and mulled that over and decided that IT was the best.  Then I saw something about the Luffy ---

I think that I need to wait a couple of days without changing my mind again before buying anything!  At least the i5 isn't an expensive first step.

:thumbup:

Just to make your choice more difficult :P, the KS14D is a fantastic wheel. If I can avoid carrying any of my wheels I do, and the KS14D trolley is perfect for moving the wheel when you aren't riding it.

Good luck with your choice. You'll be having fun whichever way you go, because they are all enjoyable to use. It's like, is there such a thing as a bad vacation when the alternative is work (don't answer this @Hunka Hunka Burning Love)?

• Like 2