Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

On 8/9/2017 at 8:19 AM, Marty Backe said:

The Light Is Amazing

Just got back from a night ride. The light on this is amazing. It's a torch light with an incredible throw. You know how KingSong has lights which are actually usable compared to Gotway's pathetic lights? Well the light on this wheel makes the KingSong light look like the old Gotway lights. I can cruise at 15+mph in total darkness and see everything far in front of me. I feel very safe.

Apparently it's in the Tesla wheel too. I think Gotway just stole the title of best headlamp in any wheel.

Hi,

I have an ACM 1300 and this is my first winter period with the wheel, and therefore the need to travel in the dark. As you said, the front light is really not very powerful, and after reading your test, I wonder if, in your opinion, it is possible to replace it with a standard spare of a Mten3 or a Tesla, without any modifications. I would like to avoid an external supplementary lights... 

Thanks!

59 minutes ago, FULspeed said:

Hi,

I have an ACM 1300 and this is my first winter period with the wheel, and therefore the need to travel in the dark. As you said, the front light is really not very powerful, and after reading your test, I wonder if, in your opinion, it is possible to replace it with a standard spare of a Mten3 or a Tesla, without any modifications. I would like to avoid an external supplementary lights... 

Thanks!

The Mten3 & Tesla light looks almost identical to the ACM/Monster/MSuper lights, but is 3+mm smaller (the outside dimension of the chrome bezel) than the ACM LED.  I have to believe that they are the same electrically.

If you are willing to open the shell and do the necessary work to remove the existing ACM LED, I bet you could get the new one to fit reasonable well.

But to answer your question directly, they are not drop-in replacements.

P.S. Yesterday I was riding my Tesla at night - the LED continues to impress me. In total darkness I could safely see the path in front of me while traveling at 32-kph

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, FULspeed said:

Thanks @Marty Backe

It is a pity that is not the same size, but if it is smaller it is not so bad, I could fix it with an adaptation ring!

Now the problem is just to find a supplier that sell that spare part...

If you do install one, please drop a note here to let us know how the install went and what you had to do. If it's fairly easy I would think about updating the lights on my other wheels.

Speedyfeet has a lot of spare parts on offer. You could email (info@speedyfeet.uk) and ask about the mten3 light. Maybe also you can find the part on Aliexpress, it will be some standard light, if you can find out its name.

Replacing "old" Gotway lights with this might turn out a popular mod if it can be done.

One consideration, stronger light = bigger power draw. Not sure if the "old" board supports this. But guessing how Gotway reuses everything, there may be a good change for compatibility. Anyone has a good photo of the mten3 board?

[For example, my ACM 84V USB port has 0.5A charging, so very slow. @Tilmann's Monster's has 2A charging, which is enough to charge a phone reasonably fast. This may be model related or date of production related, the Monster is newer. USB possible power draw might be related to light connector possible power draw. Or not, I have no idea. Just some thoughts.]

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FULspeed said:

Thanks @meepmeepmayer, I already sent a request to an Aliexpress vendor, and now I will do the same with Speedyfeet,

Thanks for the advice, I will keep You informed.

You may have better luck asking for the Tesla light since many dealers are not selling the Mten3. The Tesla is more popular.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@Marty Backe,

The last new is that the Chinese Aliexpress vendor asks me to specify whether I want a front led Mten3 or a Tesla because they are not identical ...   :confused1:

I asked him what are the differences, unanswered for now... (he is not a very chatty guy...  )

Edited by FULspeed
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, FULspeed said:

@Marty Backe,

The last new is that the Chinese Aliexpress vendor asks me to specify whether I want a front led Mten3 or a Tesla because they are not identical ...   :confused1:

I asked him what are the differences, unanswered for now... (he is not a very chatty guy...  )

I don't know what to say. They appear identical to me, but I have not opened both wheels to compare the full component. Maybe there's some slight mounting difference? Or there is no difference but he says there is because the part number is different?

Unless you can find someone that has done a direct comparison you're will have to flip a coin.

One last thought - I wonder if they are selling just the LED or the actual front module that includes the LED, power button, and USB port. Those are probably different. Hmmm.

Well, I will wait an answer from him (if any...) but probably I will choose the Tesla model.

About what he is selling, there is a standard picture of the front light, so I'm expecting to receive that... 

Front LED.jpg

Edited by FULspeed
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, FULspeed said:

Well, I will wait an answer from him (if any...) but probably I will choose the Tesla model.

About what he is selling, there is a standard picture of the front light, so I'm expecting to receive that... 

Front LED.jpg

Look forward to seeing how the swap goes

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Mten3 Cut-out at 16kmh out of nowhere, caused by rain or water coming in:

https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/4131-mten3-cutt-off-de-ma-roue-à-16-kmh/?tab=comments#comment-86401

Sorry to read of your misfortune @Stanor. I'm glad to know that it was caused by water and not a random cutout.

I think if I were going to ride the Mten3 in rain or through puddles I would weatherproof the wheel with a liberal amount of silicon.

Glad you were not hurt badly. I know how long it can take before you regain confidence in the wheel - probably a couple of weeks.

Wow, you videos are getting really impressive. Must have been a lot of work with all the fixed angles. All it missed was some nice circle riding on road crossings (like in that one other video).

I'm totally not envious of your nice riding weather, compared to the rain/snow slush/wind crap here:efeeab781c:

Also, the video really makes you want to get an mten3. Thank God it has that "I don't want to bother with this Gotway crap" battery issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wow, you videos are getting really impressive. Must have been a lot of work with all the fixed angles. All it missed was some nice circle riding on road crossings (like in that one other video).

I'm totally not envious of your nice riding weather, compared to the rain/snow slush/wind crap here:efeeab781c:

Also, the video really makes you want to get an mten3. Thank God it has that "I don't want to bother with this Gotway crap" battery issue.

Thanks. BTW, I did do circles in a couple of the road crossings that I filmed.

I believe that the fun of owning an Mten3 is worth any Gotway inconvenience, but I understand that you are really down on Gotway currently, so it's probably not the wheel for you.

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

How many cameras do you set up for those fixed shots? There must be a lot of back and forth to get those shots.

Just a single camera.  This is a hobby and I enjoy making the videos so the process is fun for me even though it may seem slow and arduous to others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I'm not sure if this is the video that shows just how much work @Marty Backe puts into these videos since I'm on a mobile device. If it is, this video shows you have to put the camera in, go back, ride around in front of it, then catch the camera back into your bag. It's a lot of work for something that is, essentially, invisible, and not something I realized until I saw this video.

Unfortunately, after seeing it, I cannot unsee it, I keep thinking what happens behind the camera is probably more interesting. Good editing is invisible.

It is the video.  Thanks for sharing it.  I always wonder at the effort @Marty Backe goes through to make a video.  I figured he uses just one camera so he has to do a lot of setting up and retrieving.  It's all inspiring me to do better.  My first few video posts are literally just what the camera saw, no editing.  I know they are rubbish, but its a start.

• Like 1