Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

7 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Have you opened yours up to take a look to see if any more batteries can be added? @TwixFix made a nice custom 620 wh battery pack for his Mten2.

No. I'm really happy with the range. Just about perfect for this wheel.

On 2017/9/8 at 11:45 PM, LanghamP said:

I can't yet watch the video but what do you think of riding it off road? 

As I know and EUC fans tell me that Mten3 maybe short of power if you off-road riding.It might not have the longest range, not have the fastest speed.

With a range of 30-45km, powerful to ride, and easy to turn, and also easy to carry.If you want to ride long distance,guys I recommance you can try GT16,which will give you more power and stable to ride.

5 hours ago, Barry Chen said:

As I know and EUC fans tell me that Mten3 maybe short of power if you off-road riding.It might not have the longest range, not have the fastest speed.

With a range of 30-45km, powerful to ride, and easy to turn, and also easy to carry.If you want to ride long distance,guys I recommance you can try GT16,which will give you more power and stable to ride.

The Mten3 is not an off-road wheel or cruiser. It's for 'around town' riding and fun. Of course there are practical uses for it, but I think most people who gets this wheel are buying it for pure entertainment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The Mten3 is not an off-road wheel or cruiser.

This is a questionable statement. For example, I already noticed that I can cross some pebble-covered areas easier on Mten3 than on my other wheels - most likely due to its wide tire. The key is to go slow - otherwise it may start skidding and may dig yourself down to pedal level.

This summer I was riding a lot off-road in Columbia Gorge on KS-18. I also had my Gotway MCM2s there, but used it mostly for playing around or short pavement rides. However, one day I decided to try it on dirt and gravel roads where I recently been on Ks-18. To my great surprise, it handled these roads without any issues, and sometimes even easier than KS18 due to its better maneuverability.  Granted, it is only 340Wh and I couldn't go far - but the test was quite real, and included steep inclines too. There was no issues with lack of power for managing steep inclines or small obstacles, like roots and small rocks (MCM2s is 14", 500W motor, I am 68kg)

I was very surprised, and I dramatically changed my opinion about the off-road riding on smaller wheels.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, trya said:

This is a questionable statement. For example, I already noticed that I can cross some pebble-covered areas easier on Mten3 than on my other wheels - most likely due to its wide tire. The key is to go slow - otherwise it may start skidding and may dig yourself down to pedal level.

This summer I was riding a lot off-road in Columbia Gorge on KS-18. I also had my Gotway MCM2s there, but used it mostly for playing around or short pavement rides. However, one day I decided to try it on dirt and gravel roads where I recently been on Ks-18. To my great surprise, it handled these roads without any issues, and sometimes even easier than KS18 due to its better maneuverability.  Granted, it is only 340Wh and I couldn't go far - but the test was quite real, and included steep inclines too. There was no issues with lack of power for managing steep inclines or small obstacles, like roots and small rocks (MCM2s is 14", 500W motor, I am 68kg)

I was very surprised, and I dramatically changed my opinion about the off-road riding on smaller wheels.

You are correct. I should have word-smithed my post better. I just meant to say that in my opinion the Mten3 is not ideal for straight line cruising or traveling the trails. I have done both with it and the wheel is certainly capable. But on the trails that I ride (mountains), they are a hell of a lot more comfortable on something like the MSuper. The Mten3 feels every single bump and transmits it up into your spine. And I'm not convinced that the tire is best suited for the abuse that off-road riding can impart.

I've decided to keep mine off the trails so that I don't shorten it's life. This is my city wheel. YMMV.

This is not my idea of fun on the Mten3 :D

BTW, notice how the wheel is slowly losing its calibration as the bumps are taking its toll. The pedals are slowly tilting more and more forward. I could feel it.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, notice how the wheel is slowly losing its calibration as the bumps are taking its toll. The pedals are slowly tilting more and more forward. I could feel it.

It didn't change the calibration, it was level after that right?

Wondering how exactly this behavior happens.

My ACM does something similar (or I'm imagining it does) when crossing cow grates (= the same kind of small regular bumps in quick succession), but it feels like the pedals are tilting backwards for me, not forwards like for you.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It didn't change the calibration, it was level after that right?

Wondering how exactly this behavior happens.

My ACM does something similar (or I'm imagining it does) when crossing cow grates (= the same kind of small regular bumps in quick succession), but it feels like the pedals are tilting backwards for me, not forwards like for you.

Correct. The calibration isn't really changed, but during the continuous rattling the wheel seems to lose it's sense of level. Afterwards it settles back to normal.

• Upvote 1

That reminds me of the firmware bug that the Ninebots had when riding down stairs.  There would occur a progressive forwards tilt that seemed to be additive with each bump, but I think they corrected it in a firmware revision if I recall correctly.  I don't go down drops too often so I haven't had a huge issue with it, but I do notice it.  Maybe @Jonathan Tolhurst can comment whether he still experiences it or not as I'm still on the original firmware 1.2.5 that came with my wheel.  I'm not sure why the firmware does that, but maybe with the jarring force, the software over compensates to provide a forwards tilt.  After a period of time it self-corrects as it reads the correct level from the gyro sensor.

I bet the problem probably dates way back to the Solowheel.  After everyone dumped and copied the firmware, some likely didn't tweak the firmware enough to get rid of the issue as most people don't go riding down stairs.  I wonder if the KingSongs exhibit this issue.  There was a really good video of a guy riding down a flight of stairs which showed the tilt problem getting worse with each drop.  I can't seem to find the video any more...

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Stanor said:

an old Targus laptop bag that I borrowed from my wife :D

I have one of the best quality (branded "5.11"), but it is too big. I feel like I'm going on an expedition :D

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

Thanks. I need to experiment. Sometimes I go on trail rides that take me miles from the nearest road. I've thought about getting a backpack that could hold something like an ACM. Then I could ride those trails with the Mten3 on my back and if something were to happen with the ACM I could swap wheels and ride out.

This actually happened on a recent group ride where one of the riders ACM tires blew. We were about 8 miles from the nearest road. Major pain in the butt :)

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Wouldn't it be pretty tiring to carry that weight on your back for hours and hours?

Then again, good core workout :D 

I would have to experiment, but the Mten3 wouldn't be too heavy in a backpack that provided good shoulder, chest, and waist support. Certainly not something I would do very often, but when you're 10 miles from the nearest road it could be nice to have a backup wheel.

4 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Hey folks, anyone else get this grunt sound when going back and forth on the mten3 ? Sounds like a frog !

Yes, when doing hard reversals and such the motor makes those noises. I get that on my KS14S too. I think all wheels will make a similar sound, but the smaller the wheel more pronounced it is.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mrd777 said:

A nice tip.

A applied some half round auto molding to the edge so you can put the mten on its side.I also applied it to the bottom of the pedals as I was scraping them on sharp turns.. 

IMG_1845.JPG

Where do you buy and and how is it applied?

That may also help keep the black panels in place. During one wheel crash both panels came flying off. No damage, but they aren't attached very securely. 

When doing those back and forth reversals, use caution not to do them too much as that may stress out the MOSFETs.  :efef927839:  Some people have reported in the past blowing out a component doing that too aggressively.  I haven't heard any problems recently so maybe with the better cooling advancements it's not an issue any more?  I wonder if the sound produced could be some of the copper coils shifting position slightly as the magnetic force direction changes.  It would be interesting to see a Wheelog chart of the current and voltage changes that occur with the short pendulum movements.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

When doing those back and forth reversals, use caution not to do them too much as that may stress out the MOSFETs.  :efef927839:  Some people have reported in the past blowing out a component doing that too aggressively.  I haven't heard any problems recently so maybe with the better cooling advancements it's not an issue any more?  I wonder if the sound produced could be some of the copper coils shifting position slightly as the magnetic force direction changes.

Thanks, I totally agree, the temperature goes up dramatically when doing that maneuver.  It definitely stresses the MOSFETs, 

57 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Hey folks, anyone else get this grunt sound when going back and forth on the mten3 ? Sounds like a frog !

The grinding wrrrrrr sound that is like dragging something on a grated board is normal, it's just the discrete magnets showing themselves at very low speeds (turn the wheel off, rotate the tire, you'll see it isn't 100% smooth but it rotates in tiny steps aka the magnets have that size). All wheels have that. Was worried about this on my ACM too before people here told me it's nothing.

What surprises me a bit is the clanging/banging/bumping/rumbling sound (not sure how to call it, like when you put/drop something hard on that hard wooden floor) right at the start of each direction reversal. Maybe it's due to how the video was made/not made by the wheel?

Edited by meepmeepmayer

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What surprises me a bit is the clanging/banging/bumping sound (not sure how to call it, like when you put/drop something hard on that hard wooden floor) right at the start of each direction reversal. Maybe it's due to how the video was made/not made by the wheel?

Its a new wood floor in our studio, the floor was making that noise. Good observation. This wheel has been a kick so far, its fast and very maneuverable!

• Like 1