I give up EUC riding..

Pingouin

2 hours ago, Pingouin said:

The camera is a good idea ! I still think I'll wait until I've moved to a new place before riding again.

I really think it is a great way to catch them and provide the evidence you so clearly need in this case. But agree it is best to wait until you have moved before drawing attention to yourself / identifying yourself with the wheel.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear what happened - sometimes some people even want to go after nerds, and maybe riding an EUC makes you look like a nerd/dork to them, and thus a tempting target for attack. It's not a mainstream vehicle (yet) - if you were on a motorbike or even a bike, they might not have thought twice about you.

I've read people's comments here about how they often attract attention when riding their EUC, but that it was mostly just curiosity and interest - never knew it could provoke hate or animosity. In my neighborhood, I occasionally see people going down the street in small electric scooters, etc, such as for the elderly or the disabled who can't walk.

I'm not too sure thugs/hoods would feel intimidated if they came across a Neighborhood Watch patrol riding Segways/EUCs/hoverboards. I've seen cops on bike patrols - I wonder if they'd ever use EUCs?

3 hours ago, Pingouin said:

In Eastern France in a medium city. (

No...I don't want to begin a debate but that's just a fact.

I had an electric shocker, maybe not the best tool for multiple assaillants.

Unfortunately, the chances of these guys facing charges is poor, because I don't have enough proof & no witnesses (some people where there but they left without waiting for police...illegal but real), here in France I find it difficule to defend ourselves legaly against criminals.

The camera is a good idea ! I still think I'll wait until I've moved to a new place before riding again.

What about all those great French group rides videos that we see? I hope that means that most places in France are safe to ride. Unfortunately you live in an EUC unfriendly place.

It's hard to believe that it's so bad that you have to stop riding entirely. Sounds very uncivilized which is not the image I have when I think of France :(

7 hours ago, Pingouin said:

My mistake (or was it ? you tell me) was to catch them at the red light and I asked them why they've done what they've done. They came out at 6 from the car, and started to fight me, I could have tried to flee but my EUC was on the ground because it fell when the guys on the back seat opened the door.

Glad your OK buddy! I've taken my share of heat on the forum for carrying a concealed weapon. In your particular case I would not have followed as it could easily lead to a tragic event. On the other hand if I stayed my distance and kept my cool (I know it is hard sometimes) if they returned to assault me the rules change.

Yeah, I think it's just not safe at your location. Nothing to do with EUC. Drawing attention to yourself can be good or bad. Most of my experiences have been good, so far.

Very sorry , but I agree with statement , "Evil happens when good men do nothing". Hope you get to prosecute.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

It's hard to believe that it's so bad that you have to stop riding entirely. Sounds very uncivilized which is not the image I have when I think of France :(

Do some EUC riding in the banlieus of Marseille and tell me how it went.

Personally I wouldn't I quit.  I would probably try to get back by carrying a hidden camera while recording with another.  And if allowed, carry some kind of defensive weapon.  I would track them down or anything but just be more prepared.

Easy to say I'm sure.

8 hours ago, Pingouin said:

a guy screamed some racist comments from the window. My mistake (or was it ? you tell me) was to catch them at the red light and I asked them why they've done what they've done.

Over the years I've had many people yell from cars as they passed me (mostly while riding my bicycle, a few times while riding my EUC). Usually there is a group in the car. Sometimes I think they are drunk. It bothers me, but I never considered catching up and asking the person or people why they yelled at me. I just ignore them and try to forget about it. Two things possibly make this easier for me than in your case: 1. I almost NEVER can tell what the person/people say! I can tell by the tone and actions it's something mean, but with the road noise, plus the person (I believe in many cases) drunk, their mean yelling is wasted, because it's unintelligible. 2. In the few times I could understand what was said, it was not racist. However, in my opinion, asking racist people why they yelled racist comments is pointless. I would not have done it.

Very sad to hear you are giving up because of other people's wretched behaviour. There is no point in reasoning with people like this; really the only thing to do to minimize risk and harm to yourself is to stoically ignore whatever provocation you get, no matter how idiotic, rude or dangerous their behaviour is. Your sad story is a reminder to us all not to take chances.

Do you have to quit completely though ? Why not just drive out of town, and become more of a country rider, where there are far less idiots, and much nicer scenery ?!

CBR 

12 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

Over the years I've had many people yell from cars as they passed me (mostly while riding my bicycle,

Many times I have wanted to yell at people riding bicycles in the street, when there is no bike lane, they are in the slow lane.  But so far I haven't, I just change lanes to the left and pass carefully, hoping they don't fall in front of me.  And there is a perfectly good sidewalk for them to ride on, but no, they want to ride in the street.:furious:  It's worse when it is a two lane street, then I have to go into the oncoming lane a little to give them room.  And I have had people walking in the street forcing me to go around them.:furious:  Streets are for cars and trucks.  Get out the way,dobie!  I don't want to be responsible for hitting someone with my car!  But I guess I am lazy and don't want to keep my attention level that high.  But I must, even though streets and roads are designed for motor vehicles, you never know what is going to be in them.  @MaxLinux I have seen some of your videos, and I know you are a considerate and safe rider.  

4 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Very sad to hear you are giving up because of other people's wretched behaviour. There is no point in reasoning with people like this; really the only thing to do to minimize risk and harm to yourself is to stoically ignore whatever provocation you get, no matter how idiotic, rude or dangerous their behaviour is. Your sad story is a reminder to us all not to take chances.

Do you have to quit completely though ? Why not just drive out of town, and become more of a country rider, where there are far less idiots, and much nicer scenery ?!

CBR 

What he said:cheers:

57 minutes ago, Xima Lhotz said:

Why is this important for you to know?

And what is a native French person?

This comment reaks...

I imagine a native French person is someone who was born in France. 

There are many news stories in the United States about Muslin dominant sections of some French cities which have rampant crime and are even dangerous for the police to enter. These are news stories not opinion. I suspect that is what @LanghamP was referring to.

@Pingouin's ongoing bad experiences seems so out-of-the-ordinary that it seems natural to ask if it's related to the Muslim people who are causing problems elsewhere in France.

4 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Many times I have wanted to yell at people riding bicycles in the street, when there is no bike lane, they are in the slow lane.  But so far I haven't, I just change lanes to the left and pass carefully, hoping they don't fall in front of me.  And there is a perfectly good sidewalk for them to ride on, but no, they want to ride in the street.:furious:  It's worse when it is a two lane street, then I have to go into the oncoming lane a little to give them room.  And I have had people walking in the street forcing me to go around them.:furious:  Streets are for cars and trucks.  Get out the way,dobie!  I don't want to be responsible for hitting someone with my car!  But I guess I am lazy and don't want to keep my attention level that high.  But I must, even though streets and roads are designed for motor vehicles, you never know what is going to be in them.  @MaxLinux I have seen some of your videos, and I know you are a considerate and safe rider.  

What he said:cheers:

Not to get on your bad side :cry2:, but I always thought it was legal to ride bicycles in street lanes. I believe it's even legal to be in a bicycle in the left turning lane of an intersection. And I follow those same rules with my EUC. When I'm on a mission (not sightseeing) to go some place you'll find me riding on the street not the sidewalk, even if there's no bike lane. Mind you I only ride this way on residential streets or major roads that have wide shoulders. I do not ride on streets  with narrow shoulders (which maybe is what you're talking about).

Please be kind to me :unsure:

I understand why @Pingouin called them out. I might have done something similar, getting pissed off by their idiocy. But I think I shouldn't, not one against many, and they demonstrably stupid and aggressive.

A camera is a brilliant idea, if you get enough clear footage to identify them and document their behaviour. But don't go call them out, take the footage directly to the police. Trying to run someone off the road is illegal in just about every place in the world AFAIK.

45 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I imagine a native French person is someone who was born in France. 

I imagine that would be totally impossible to judge just by looking at someone (or being beaten up by someone). I imagine what the person who asked has on mind is the ethnical appearance (which is very different from being native-born).

32 minutes ago, flass said:

I imagine that would be totally impossible to judge just by looking at someone (or being beaten up by someone). I imagine what the person who asked has on mind is the ethnical appearance (which is very different from being native-born).

Very true. I was just answering the question "And what is a native French person?". 

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

A quick Google image search results in this photo for reference.

french-person.jpg

Not to be confused with French Canadians who usually have a plate of poutine in hand.  :whistling:

That's a much better explanation of what a native Frenchman looks like :D

1 hour ago, flass said:

The Confederate flag on top of the Volkswagen might have given an inkling...

5 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

They do in this city in Turkey.

Very cool. It's been a couple of years - I wonder if their use has grown there.

Thanks guys for your support, I still think I'll give up EUC for now, exept for riding in the moutains as I sometimes do :)

Regarding "french native people", I would think ideed you were talking about ethnical appearance, I cannot say if they were muslim (as it is a religion) I can simply say they didn't look like the typical european guy and they correspond to the type of person that usualy harass me on a daily basis (when they can). I too am not a "french native person" btw, but I have their culture & I respect other people.

Sure for my safety I shouldn't have responded to them, but I'm getting angry after having to deal with this common stupidity. It was not a wise decision, just a heart decision perhaps. I was not riding on the road but on the bike lane seperated from the road by a white line that should not be crossed, and these guys oriented their car towards me from the other side of the road.

@Marty BackeFrance is a great place to live, but almost all major cities have areas where it's preferable no to go, and I was not on one of those streets, these guys however obviously came from there. I am not looking for trouble by riding in "risky" areas but unfortunately the risks these people cause to others is not fixed in one place, especially at night.

Archived