I give up EUC riding..

Pingouin

Hi guys,

Some of you may remember my topic "agression on an EUC", well this time it happened again, but it went too far.

I was going to meet with a friend, it was about 8:30PM, on my gotway MCM2s, while I was on the bike lane, a black volkswagen car with tinted windows came out of her lane and tried to push me off the road, a guy screamed some racist comments from the window. My mistake (or was it ? you tell me) was to catch them at the red light and I asked them why they've done what they've done. They came out at 6 from the car, and started to fight me, I could have tried to flee but my EUC was on the ground because it fell when the guys on the back seat opened the door.

I do know how to defend myself, I even had a defense tool on me, but I judged the situation too critical to take it out, instead I tried to grab my EUC but I couldn't and I had to adop a defensive posture. One of the guys took my EUC and threw it violently towards the ground, it is now broken (structure, bearing, axle...). Fortunately I only got a few contusion on my two legs and left arm, the police are now investigating, I did have time to see their plate number.

However, in my neighborhood their aren't many EUC riders, I am very recognizable, and these guys obviously are from the area. For my own safety, I decided to stop EUC riding until I move in a new appartment in a new neighborhood.

EUC riding is not fun anymore for me...

Here is a pic of the broken EUC :

r6rzFLA.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am truly very sorry to hear of this and I hope you are doing OK. I think you have made a wise decision to stay off the wheel for now. As you mention it is a very unique form of transportation and you would stand out risking another attack if these bastards descided to retaliate for the Police involvement.

Were you wrong to confront them. No, you were not. I totally understand how you felt. When insults and abuse are issued for no reason it is always understandable to feel angry and want to understand why and in some way retaliate and let them know it will not be tollerated. Was it wise to confront them. No. In the modern era it wasn't the best move. If people are big enough arseholes to pull the original stunt that caused the incident they aren't going to sit down and politly inform you why they are indeed the bottom beating scum sucking alge eaters that they are. You just end up denting their ego for which they must rage against you to restore their falsely percived respect.

The world is a funny place right now. The scum of society feel empowered to do whatever they want however they want. There is little consideration of the consequences of their actions, to themselves or to you.

Is it Endmund Burke who said " The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"? I'm sure this, in some way, drove your actions to confront them. But alas it seems the fight is becoming considerably stacked against average Joe making a meaningful contribution when the scum roam in packs and attack in their animalistic devolved manner..

This is a lesson to me. I've been routinely run off the road on my bike around my city with drivers gesticulating at me when I've done little wrong other than to slow their apparently urgent travel. I have on occastion screamed, shouted, gesticulated, and raged at them as the sped off due to the injustice. I've tried to catch them to give them a piece of my mind but usually they are long gone from the next light by the time I get there. Usually I curse my inability to let them know of my displeasure, but perhaps this has saved me from a fate like yours. I think I need to learn to just "experience it, and let it go" as my wife so often describes it. Maybe you should too, as hard as that may be.

My ultimate plan is to try to live somewhere sparsely populated. The morality of the human race is at a low point right now. It is best to keep out the way where you can.

If I may ask where did this happen?

Yuck. How primitive. I'm really sorry! However very cool of you to have presence of mind to note the license number, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will pay off. 

49 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

EUC riding is not fun anymore for me...

Your neighborhood is NOT safe to live in afterall! With or without EUC for sure! :furious:

Given the fact a move to a new apartment/neighborhood is mentioned I think the OP is aware that location is a problem. If not before then certainly now.

@Pingouin. Once moved I would get back on the (repaired) wheel. From other posts you clearly enjoy using a EUC as a mode of transportation. Don't let the bastards wear you down.

Sorry to hear this. I can't explain why this always seems to happen to you.

I disagree with @WARPed1701D post (although some thought went into it). Confronting them was the absolutely best thing to do, since you luckily got their license number they will possibly have to deal with serious charges - trying to run someone over, racist attack, etc. You weren't hurt and "only" got your wheel damaged and your day ruined, so you won this one. Make sure the police aren't trying to let this fizzle out, you (or better your lawyer) should call regularly what the progress of the investigation is etc.

For the same reason, I would not stop riding EUCs where you are (though I can understand if you do) if you don't actually want to. Don't give in now, this is the best time to control how things continue. In some way, the best thing that could happen to you if you were (verbally) threatened by them again as a response to your going to the police, to finally nail these fuckers to the wall. I'm not saying to provoke anything, but give them all the chances to make a mistake and dig themselves into a deeper hole. And report every problem stemming from this event to the police (the justice system needs something to act on).

Keep us updated how it's going...

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sorry to hear this. I can't explain why this always seems to happen to you.

I disagree with @WARPed1701D post (although some thought went into it). Confronting them was the absolutely best thing to do, since you luckily got their license number they will possibly have to deal with serious charges - trying to run someone over, racist attack, etc. You weren't hurt and "only" got your wheel damaged and your day ruined, so you won this one. Make sure the police aren't trying to let this fizzle out, you (or better your lawyer) should call regularly what the progress of the investigation is etc.

For the same reason, I would not stop riding EUCs where you are (though I can understand if you do) if you don't actually want to. Don't give in now, this is the best time to control how things continue. In some way, the best thing that could happen to you if you were (verbally) threatened by them again as a response to your going to the police, to finally nail these fuckers to the wall. I'm not saying to provoke anything, but give them all the chances to make a mistake and dig themselves into a deeper hole. And report every problem stemming from this event to the police (the justice system needs something to act on).

Keep us updated how it's going...

On this occasion there were only material and minor injuries but it is becoming increasingly common for people to pull knives (guns in the US) to repair their testosterone fueled dented ego. Maybe back in Europe people are more restrained. I've been gone from the UK for 10 years now and know that even before I left there was a good chance of the good guy getting a beating for standing their ground. Lots of people get shot here for minor altracations. I need to remember that as I go about my daily business.

I like to see arseholes get what is due to them, but it now seems like risk management is necessary. Honestly, this situation adds more weight to wearing an action cam to capture the plate/incident when stuff like this happens rather than continuing or escalating the problem.

Recently Jeremy Vine (UK TV/Radio Host) was harrased on his bike in London. His helmet cam footage secured a conviction for the vehicle driver.

1 minute ago, Paddylaz said:

That comparison makes absolutely zero sense

The point is that the people actually commiting the crime is responsible, not the victim. Moving out of the area might help avoid further occurrences for him, but it won't actually fix anything for society at large. The only real solution is going to the police and making sure they prosecute the criminals. 

To be fair, I don't know much about french law, but where I'm from all violent crimes are handled pretty damn seriously...

12 minutes ago, Tom Fagerland said:

The point is that the people actually commiting the crime is responsible, not the victim. Moving out of the area might help avoid further occurrences for him, but it won't actually fix anything for society

Where exactly in my post did i suggest he was 'responsible'. You seem to be drawing assumptions from complete vapour.

The op's job is not 'fixing society,'  Ghandi. His priority is enjoying life and raising his family. If his area is untenable for his lifestyle, he should move - not attempt some one man revolution to change his neighbourhood to some sort of utopia.

Would you tell refugees to go back and fix their society's problem? (actually, don't answer that).

Just now, Paddylaz said:

Where exactly in my post did i suggest he was 'responsible'. You seem to be drawing assumptions from complete vapour.

The op's job is not 'fixing society,'  Ghandi. His priority is enjoying life and raising his family. If his area is untenable for his lifestyle, he should move - not attempt some one man revolution to change his neighbourhood to some sort of utopia.

Would you tell refugees to go back and fix their society's problem? (actually, don't answer that).

Why do you assume I was talking to you...?

2 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Well you quoted me in your post.......

Yes, the post where you said I made no sense. So I made sense out of it.

I was really just offering a point of view - many people in the thread referred to the area as if the area was somehow to blame, and so I pointed out that the area is really just the background - the criminals are to blame. 

I may have chosen a poor analogy, I honestly didn't spend half a minute on it ;)

But I wasn't (pause while learning how to spell) criticizing anyone, just offering a point of view. You're absolutely right if you think moving would help TS - it probably would. Just as never leaving your house will. But it won't actually help anyone else.

that's terrible @Pingouin, sorry to hear about that. i hope you get some sort of justice. although confronting those douchebags may have led to an altercation and damage at least now there's some chance they'll be made to pay and maybe think twice before behaving similarly in the future.

I am so sorry to hear that happened to you.  I'm not sure I can offer any wise words, but I'm very glad you made it out alive. What did you have as a defensive tool?

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

If I may ask where did this happen?

In Eastern France in a medium city. (

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Were they native French people?

No...I don't want to begin a debate but that's just a fact.

23 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

I am so sorry to hear that happened to you.  I'm not sure I can offer any wise words, but I'm very glad you made it out alive. What did you have as a defensive tool?

I had an electric shocker, maybe not the best tool for multiple assaillants.

Unfortunately, the chances of these guys facing charges is poor, because I don't have enough proof & no witnesses (some people where there but they left without waiting for police...illegal but real), here in France I find it difficule to defend ourselves legaly against criminals.

The camera is a good idea ! I still think I'll wait until I've moved to a new place before riding again.

Very sorry to hear about your altercation, but it could have been a lot worse. Suppose they had machetes (weapon of choice in NZ) or handgun(s) (USA)? You confronted them hoping to appeal to their sense of civility and reason. I think if they were crazy enough to hit you with a car you should have turned the other way and hauled ass.

Groups of young males of lower intelligence and maturity seem to act with a pack instinct that will prey on what they see as weaker targets.  Trying to reason or confront them simply is asking for trouble.  It's sort of like having a brush with a pack of wolves running by and then purposely trying to encounter them again.  Hindsight is 20 20, but it may have been best to take a different route, turn the other way, and take down numbers and contact police if you think it's worthwhile (maybe not from the sounds of it).  Using a handheld taser against six guys is basically taunting the bear with a stick.  There are some battles you can't win. The trick is being able to identify which ones they are and acting appropriately.  Kobayashi Maru.

Maybe try to remember that EUC riding is still fun.  It's just not fun riding around idiots.  Hopefully you will be able to find a better place to ride.

2 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

If you wear a camera, make sure they don't know it's there and take it.

I think some cameras can now stream over your phone to a cloud server. I've no idea of the data consumption for this and quality might get downgraded too much to discern number plates. None the less it does mean that taking the camera would not help them destroy the evidence. It is why I like the NEST home security cam. All data is streamed out the house. No one can remove the evidence.

Archived