Self Defence Options when EUC Riding

RooEUC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all. I'm surprised almost anybody see the potential weapon we have in ours EUC. Can ram over a pedestrian dealing him lot of damage. Also a kick with a EUC pushing it forward from stop can be very painful. Grab it in your hands and you have a shield or a hammer, if the wheel hit when is spinning can do massive damage.

The best self defense are confidence, attention and speed to run out of problems. With wheels you can run over the problems. If you can't run, better to wear protective gear like gloves, hard boots, helmet and use your euc like a shield/hammer. 

If that isn't enough you can carry some rocks to throw and some marbles for break chases. Otherwise the bike locks are the most common street legal weapons

There is an less expensive, lighter chase breaker: a bag of soybeans. Spread soybeans when the chaser gets close while your are on EUC. riding ahead of the chasers. I think this is especially effective on hard surfaces. Also, it is food you carry so there is a good excuse to carry and drop on the ground. Bring a slingshot to shoot the bad guy from a distance, forcing him to choose whether to charge or retreat. Then you ride EUC to keep the distance and continue slingshoting, until he is exhausted.

It is useful to think of this from the other person's view. If you were a desperado, or a young male full of piss and vinegar, how would you go about taking something from someone who didn't want to cooperate?

Exactly; you'd try to get close and ambush them. Maybe you'd try to look innocent and helpless, maybe ask for the time from the victim. Or fix him in place so your buddy to nail him from the side. That's why the vast majority of assaults caught on camera that are not barfights are where the victim didn't know what was coming, or it was too late as the perp was too close to do anything about it.

Knowing this, what appropriate measures would you do in order not to get ambushed?

--I think that's why open carrying a gun or a sword ala Kill Bill style would actually be quite appropriate as it announces to the world one is armed with a weapon that is expressly used to kill other people. The danger with concealed carry is there is no threat of retaliation; one announces they are carrying by usage.

That's why signs announcing a place is unarmed is so attractive to spree killers. A better sign would read something like this, "a random number of our patrons and workers are armed. Sometimes it's a little, sometimes a lot. It's up to you to find out!"

--Avoid being around poor people. You can't win against someone who has nothing to lose. You likely have something(s) they don't have.

So now you've ignored everything I've said, and you're about to get robbed. What do you do?

Damned if I know; there aren't any really good outcomes.

Oh damn, when you put it like that, Langham, the wheels just start turning!

If I was going to get an EUC guy, what would I do? 

- hit him in the knees with a baseball bat when he rides by

- throw a big fucking net on him!

- marbles

- just tackle him off sideways

- hit him with car

- tie some fishing line between trees

- use a spike strip

- car picking up magnet

- dig a big hole where he normally rides, cover with leaves

- put a roll of EUC foam under one of those boxes with a stick and a string

- build a trap that says "Free EUCs inside" and design in a way that EUCers cannot figure how swim, I mean ride out. 

- Giant flypaper? 

A friend of mine got mugged one night unexpectedly by a guy he had met randomly on the street who was going in the same direction he was.  They were talking and walking down a city street when suddenly the guy pushed him hard down a flight of stairs going to a below-street-level back door and then jumped on him.  My friend said he wasn't any smaller than the guy and didn't feel any less tough, but he was hurt pretty bad and the guy was kneeling on his chest, so he didn't feel he had much of a chance at the moment.

I bring it up to say, watch out for geographical features -- anything from a pothole to a stair case to a hedge or dumpster someone can leap out from behind or push you into.  When I grew up in racist neighborhoods and had to walk long distances through them, I always took the side of the street with less places to hide and greatest visibility. I walked wide around corners so I could see people coming or lurking, sometimes walking right into the street before a turn to get a better view.

Unfortunately, ambush attacks are favorites for muggers and can be very hard to avoid.  An ambush gives a mugger a lot of time to get perfect positioning and build up a level of adrenaline you'll have a hard time dealing with if you suddenly get jumped.  They aren't easy to avoid except by only traveling through the safest, most populated and well-lit routes you can find, as well as trying to always keep yourself in the clear with great visibility, changing the side of the street you are traveling down -- or even getting in the middle of the street -- as often as necessary.

And I'll tell you, many is the time I was walking slowly until I turned a corner -- and suddenly sprinted off at top speed, gaining a few beats on a threatening pursuer, even changing my route by cutting another corner so whoever was following turned the corner and came upon not a slowly walking sucker but a blank street up ahead with no idea where I might have gone.  Deception can be a useful thing sometimes.

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

Unfortunately, ambush attacks are favorites for muggers and can be very hard to avoid.  An ambush gives a mugger a lot of time to get perfect positioning and build up a level of adrenaline you'll have a hard time dealing with if you suddenly get jumped.  They aren't easy to avoid except by only traveling through the safest, most populated and well-lit routes you can find, as well as trying to always keep yourself in the clear with great visibility, changing the side of the street you are traveling down -- or even getting in the middle of the street -- as often as necessary.

Good advice.  I was almost mugged in an area once, it was a tourist destination, I turned down the wrong street and when I realized there were no stores there I turned back to get to the main shopping area. 

I carry a knife at all times clipped to my front right pocket.  It is with me at all times even when not on the wheel.  I feel naked without it.  Its more of a tool than a self defense weapon but it does make me feel a little better when riding.  

Agree with everyone else.  Choose your riding locations accordingly and ride in safe locations as often as possible.

13 hours ago, FrenchieEUC said:

Louis CK ? 

by the way i would get a tazer, they're illegal here but the sound is enough to scare muggers as they go away

Could be.  He's my favorite at the moment and I've seen a lot of youtube etc of him.

14 hours ago, FrenchieEUC said:

Louis CK ? 

by the way i would get a tazer, they're illegal here but the sound is enough to scare muggers as they go away

The minute you pull something out expect a response that could be a GUN. 

So I believe in survival instead. 

-Avoid the suspicious areas. Turning around is ok. 

-don't go alone. 

-If you are commuted to use force then the only viable option is maximum force. You have to have the best offense and offensive weapon. 

-buy my actual advice is to deflect, avoid, leave, runaway. Last resort is force because you are likely to receive the same injuries as the aggressor. The aggressor planned this encounter and he want to win also. 

4 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

The minute you pull something out expect a response that could be a GUN. 

So I believe in survival instead. 

-Avoid the suspicious areas. Turning around is ok. 

-don't go alone. 

-If you are commuted to use force then the only viable option is maximum force. You have to have the best offense and offensive weapon. 

-buy my actual advice is to deflect, avoid, leave, runaway. Last resort is force because you are likely to receive the same injuries as the aggressor. The aggressor planned this encounter and he want to win also. 

This ^

If you're armed, count on getting hurt. Unless you're some f-ing security type that carry around an automatic and can go from surprise to ready to fire in two seconds flat.

My advice mirrors @Carlos E Rodriguez: The first line of defence is not getting yourself into a situation where you're vulnerable. The second line of defence is getting out of the situation (fleeing).

If you're already there and can't get out, there is a split second judgement call to make: Can I get out of this by giving away money and shit? Or will this person hurt me seriously anyway?

If the answer is the second alternative, the remaining option is force. If you have to use force then don't do it half-assed, the other person is already fired up and your only option is to get through all that adrenaline and either scare the shit out of the person or neutralise him/her in any way you can.

Since that last resort will in all likelihood end up with you hurt, or arrested, or both - and maybe with another persons live or future on your conscience, it is really an act of desperation.

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

Since that last resort will in all likelihood end up with you hurt, or arrested, or both - and maybe with another persons live or future on your conscience, it is really an act of desperation.

I strongly believe that if it isn't an act of desperation, you shouldn't be fighting at all.  

Civilization was hard-won and is hard to maintain, and its immense accomplishment shouldn't be surrendered easily.

Better to just stay out of trouble and not tempt other people into it either.

On 7/11/2017 at 10:03 AM, Noam Elad said:

A motorcycle helmet is a weapon too! also take with you a pepper spray for the long distances (and u have kind of immunity with the helmet so it is difficult to spray yourself)

yah i didn't even think about that! face/head is protected and you could get a nasty headbutt in

40 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

These are all I need to defend myself against the hordes of women who throw themselves at me while I'm riding.  :efee6b18f3:  Ya gotta protect yourself!  :efef927839:  Especially against unexpected pregnancies and various communicable diseases!

51F4K4936VL.jpg

Is that a daily ration? Do you carry around a back-pack for the little rubber-men? :D 

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2017 at 2:38 PM, kasenutty said:

Oh damn, when you put it like that, Langham, the wheels just start turning!

If I was going to get an EUC guy, what would I do? 

- hit him in the knees with a baseball bat when he rides by

- throw a big fucking net on him!

- marbles

- just tackle him off sideways

- hit him with car

- tie some fishing line between trees

- use a spike strip

- car picking up magnet

- dig a big hole where he normally rides, cover with leaves

- put a roll of EUC foam under one of those boxes with a stick and a string

- build a trap that says "Free EUCs inside" and design in a way that EUCers cannot figure how swim, I mean ride out. 

- Giant flypaper? 

This has saved me a lot of re-thinking.

Just many reasons to always wear a helmet & proper gear & have eyes wide open.

in florida concealed weapons permit for my best little feeder glock 27. open jeeps, motorcycles, inline skating with hot gfs, the only way i roll. too many close calls in tampa, ft myers to not carry. pita but u gotta do it. head on swivel and commitment to pull the trigger if u have to. if u think u couldn't shoot somebody point blank if ur life or love one's life was threaten, don't carry. and i live in a very low crime area. probably best in tampa bay. i've got hands and feet but if there's twenty, like one time, u need to drop the first three to get the rest's attention, with a little lead poisoning. florida ain't disneyworld.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

in florida concealed weapons permit for my best little feeder glock 27. open jeeps, motorcycles, inline skating with hot gfs, the only way i roll. too many close calls in tampa, ft myers to not carry. pita but u gotta do it. head on swivel and commitment to pull the trigger if u have to. if u think u couldn't shoot somebody point blank if ur life or love one's life was threaten, don't carry. and i live in a very low crime area. probably best in tampa bay. i've got hands and feet but if there's twenty, like one time, u need to drop the first three to get the rest's attention, with a little lead poisoning. florida ain't disneyworld.

You live in such a different world to me!

5 hours ago, applecran said:

Auto uploads to the cloud.

Great idea.

I have older iPhones that I can attach to my visor cap and also to my MiniPro.

I've used it more for scenic recordings rather than security.

The Shonin is very security specific that makes sense for many reasons.

Peace of mind is worth it.

Maybe the best solution is practice contact sports on euc like rugby, hockey or wrestling on euc. Showing videos on YouTube of how violent and dangerous can be a euc rider. That maybe dissuade some people, for the rest give us a good training in self defense

1 hour ago, Demargon said:

Maybe the best solution is practice contact sports on euc like rugby, hockey or wrestling on euc. Showing videos on YouTube of how violent and dangerous can be a euc rider. That maybe dissuade some people, for the rest give us a good training in self defense

It's true that anyone that can balance and ride an EUC has a certain level of agility and athleticism.

However, being perceived as a potential victim, takes many forms. 

Or even coming to the assistance of someone else is a consideration.

Good judgment and thinking should prevail.

Since reading this thread, I have bought a concealable baton and a baton that doubles as a flashlight to carry with me.

I'm also outfitted with video recording capability and just audio recording.  Just in case.  They also double for practical uses.

This is our modern age.

Archived