Hesitate bewteen an E+ and a S2

Macintosh

Hi everybody, i'm new here :)

I'm from Paris in France and just received the ninebot E+. I've been thinking about getting a wheel and especially the E+ since a year and there was a big discount on the french ninebot shop on amazon for Halloween so I jumped  at the opportunity and ordered it. I got the E+ for 639 euros instead of 999 euros. 

But I just discovered today the existence of the S2, and the price isn't that much expensive. 729 euros in France, and  I can get it with a 5% discount on the Fnac shop so it would be around 695 euros. I compared the specs bewteen these wheels and looks like the S2 is much better: faster, smaller, the wheel stop to turn when you grab it and the more important for me it is lighter ! 

Now I'm hesitating to send back the E+ and buy the S2 instead. Can you tell me what exactly are the differences between these two wheels in motion ? Is the maneuvarability different from a 14" and a 16" wheel ? Which one should be easier and more confortable to "drive" for a beginner (never had a wheel before).

I'm 5'10 (178 cm) and my weight is 71 kg (156 lbs). I will use mainly the wheel in some urban areas (Paris) but may also use it in a small wood near Paris.

Thanks and sorry for my approximate english ;)

I think @houseofjob had an S2 that he sold.  Maybe he can comment about it.  I find the 16" Ninebot One E+ a keeper as it just goes over rough terrain and bumps with ease.  I had some troubles on some minor bumps on a generic 14" wheel so I don't feel as confident with it.  The S2 does look slim and sleek though and has removable battery packs.  I find the range on the Ninebot One to be so so.  At about 20 kms it seems to putter out a bit for me on a typical mixed ride of flat and hills for my 167 pound weight.  It has never dropped me yet even on steeper slopes so I'm quite happy with it.  I do hear that it can suddenly cut out if the battery gets older when some cells begin to die (looking at you @noisycarlos), but hopefully that won't be for some time.

I think the 16" is still the most versatile for various terrain.  The 14" might be lighter, but usually you will be riding it and not carrying it.  Some people do swear by the V5F+ (@Rehab1) and the KS14 (@Cloud) so I guess it's more personal preference.

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I find the 16" Ninebot One E+ a keeper as it just goes over rough terrain and bumps with ease.  

The NB 1 is a keeper!!  Still in my family of wheels teaching my grandson how to ride! 

I think the S2 looks sexier and has several advantages, but for a new rider, the One E+ will likely be the best value for money for the foreseeable future.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love really identified the key differences, and I concur that wheel size is probably most important. Just reading the posts on this site, the Ninebot One E+ seems to be the first wheel for a large number of riders, and I, like many others, will keep it as a backup or loaner for a long time after I expand my fleet :D. It's a solid basic wheel that has just enough of the right stuff – at the right price (when on sale). Also, OEM, aftermarket, as well as used, parts availability for the E+ should be better for the foreseeable future. 

If you are still unsure, maybe you should buy both!

4 hours ago, Macintosh said:

I'm from Paris in France and just received the ninebot E+. I've been thinking about getting a wheel and especially the E+ since a year and there was a big discount on the french ninebot shop on amazon for Halloween so I jumped  at the opportunity and ordered it. I got the E+ for 639 euros instead of 999 euros. 

But I just discovered today the existence of the S2, and the price isn't that much expensive. 729 euros in France, and  I can get it with a 5% discount on the Fnac shop so it would be around 695 euros. I compared the specs bewteen these wheels and looks like the S2 is much better: faster, smaller, the wheel stop to turn when you grab it and the more important for me it is lighter ! 

Now I'm hesitating to send back the E+ and buy the S2 instead. Can you tell me what exactly are the differences between these two wheels in motion ? Is the maneuvarability different from a 14" and a 16" wheel ? Which one should be easier and more confortable to "drive" for a beginner (never had a wheel before).

I'm 5'10 (178 cm) and my weight is 71 kg (156 lbs). I will use mainly the wheel in some urban areas (Paris) but may also use it in a small wood near Paris.

I would say the V5F+ and the S2 are very comparable in ride and design. The handle, longer range, lights, and faster top speed def give the V5F+ the edge though. Also, I've owned 2 of the ninebot E+ with 3000+ miles on them, and the only advantage the E+ has is an easily accessible/replaceable battery, and being able to jump higher curbs. The ride is not that much smoother in the E+ compared to the V5F+ despite the larger wheel diameter. V5F+ is the most versatile wheel currently on the market. 

The easiest EUCs to learn on are larger wheels like the gotway msuper and kingsong 18.  They are going to sit higher on your legs, and get rid of those newbie shaking a lot of people experience when first learning. They are also potentially the most dangerous EUCs to learn on too though, if you go too fast before you're ready. The E+, S2 and V5F+ are going to be harder to learn the basics (3+ hours) whereas I've seen people riding the gotway within 15 minutes.

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

...  I do hear that it can suddenly cut out if the battery gets older when some cells begin to die (looking at you @noisycarlos), but hopefully that won't be for some time...

Thats imho no particular property of a nb one e+ - this should be true for every EUC. If the battery dies quite suddenly or slowly (diminishing range) should depend on "luck" (usage/batch/etc...) Or other way round, every li ion ages and so one gets diminishing range over time until the battery dies completely.

The S2 has some more intelligence/supervision build into the BMS (1)- so it regognices bad cells? Maybe also the new Inmotions?

but also quite any bms malfunction can lead to sudden death...

edit:

(1) or was this just with the ninebot mini batteries?

10 hours ago, Macintosh said:

If you already have a E+ - just use it and enjoy. You'll not regret it!

12 hours ago, Macintosh said:

i love my miniPRO

LOVE YOUR AVATAR... i still have my original mac in my closet.... BIG FAN

welcome... glad to have you here

9bot e + esta muy bien y Para Recibir golpes Creo Que es Mejor que el S2, yo tengo he aquí, Es Muy probable Que es UNOS meses te des Cuenta Que Quieres Más Velocidad 22 Ø 25 kilómetros por hora no es Suficiente Como Velocidad de crucero, la ONU Posiblemente gotway acm, MSuper, oh rey de la canción, el e + esta muy bien para DISFRUTAR meses de UNOS 

Thanks everybody for your advices ! So I think I'll keep my E+ :)

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love The reason the weight is important for me is that I'll use my wheel to go to a tennis club at least once a week, and inside the club I don't think i'll be allowed to use my EUC si I'll have to carry the ninebot for around 200-250 meters (218 yards) and use some stairs to put it inside a locker which could be much more easy with the s2. But if the "driving" and the sensations are better with the E+ than the S2 than I'll keep my E+.

1 hour ago, cloudust said:

I would also recommend to keep the One E+. I own both but I prefer the One E+. Besides, you should always have two so you can teach your family members and ride together.

Do you prefer the E+ because it's more confortable to use it and the sensations are better ? Is the max speed really faster on the S2 or do you think it's almost the same as the E+ ? 

1 hour ago, Greg Spalding said:

i love my miniPRO

LOVE YOUR AVATAR... i still have my original mac in my closet.... BIG FAN

welcome... glad to have you here

Thanks Greg, I still have my Macintosh Plus in a closet too hehe. Actually it was my father's one but he gave it to meet when he bought a powerbook.

8 hours ago, logos122 said:

I would say the V5F+ and the S2 are very comparable in ride and design. The handle, longer range, lights, and faster top speed def give the V5F+ the edge though. Also, I've owned 2 of the ninebot E+ with 3000+ miles on them, and the only advantage the E+ has is an easily accessible/replaceable battery, and being able to jump higher curbs. The ride is not that much smoother in the E+ compared to the V5F+ despite the larger wheel diameter. V5F+ is the most versatile wheel currently on the market. 

But is the top speed on the v5f+ not lower than on the S2 and the E+ ? I read it's 20 km/h max on the VF5+ while 22 km/h on the E+ and 24 km/h on the S2.

@Macintosh One S2 is actually a bit faster than One E+ but it beeps way too often. 

Both are smooth rides but One E+ just gives more comfort. 

I ride One E+ to work and back home everyday and the total mileage is around 20km. 

Maybe you should add a miniPRO to the family. Just saw a news that Amazon.fr plans to drop the price to EUR599. It is incredible!

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/trottinette-electrique/ninebot-minipro-p29239/bon-plan-gyropode-ninebot-minipro-passe-a-599-euros-n57049.html

2 hours ago, Macintosh said:

But is the top speed on the v5f+ not lower than on the S2 and the E+ ? I read it's 20 km/h max on the VF5+ while 22 km/h on the E+ and 24 km/h on the S2.

The top speed of the E+ and S2 are about the same at 22 km/hr (gps speed not app speed). The V5F+ is def faster at 25 kph, with a possible upcoming firmware update that would increase it to 30 km/h.

10 minutes ago, logos122 said:

The V5F+ is def faster at 25 kph, with a possible upcoming firmware update that would increase it to 30 km/h.

I've been pushing IM for a speed bump with the V5F+ for a quite a bit; 27kph is going to be the high-end target. In speed comparison with the S2, I recall @houseofjob mention the V5F+ has a small advantage.

Thanks everybody for your advices ! So I think I'll keep my E+ :)

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love The reason the weight is important for me is that I'll use my wheel to go to a tennis club at least once a week, and inside the club I don't think i'll be allowed to use my EUC si I'll have to carry the ninebot for around 200-250 meters (218 yards) and use some stairs to put it inside a locker which could be much more easy with the s2. But if the "driving" and the sensations are better with the E+ than the S2 than I'll keep my E+.

There is an attachable handle accessory for the Ninebot One.  Check out @SuperSport's mods.  I believe he has one on his.  Carrying an EUC around whether it is 25 pounds or 30 pounds is going to be not pleasant.  It's like carrying carry-on luggage - it's much better to roll it around on a handle.  The S2 is smaller, but I don't know if there is a trolley handle for it.  I haven't ridden the S2 so I don't know if there is a big difference in ride.  I think the extra heft in the Ninebot One allows it to plow over larger bumps just due to the mass.  Here's a comparison review:

@Macintosh not sure about the rest of the posters on this thread, but I've owned both E+ and S2, so I'll chime in here. (at one point, both have been my daily drivers for 2-3 months)

First, overall, IMHO, basically, Ninebot One S2 = Ninebot One E+; pretty much the same riding experience for me.

Sure, you can argue 14" is more maneuverable, vs 16" is a balance between maneuverability and comfort (I think this argument is way overblown, especially since, in your case, we're talking about mainly Paris city / paved roads driving), but the S2 in my experience drives, more or less, exactly like the E+, top speed and all.

But, if I personally had to pick between the 2 Ninebots, regardless if I were in your position of owning an E+ already, I would choose the S2.

Why?

The reasons are minor, but go like so:

• TOP SPEED ALARM: while both have top speed alarm beeps, the S2 (while a bit too loud IMO) are much more audible than the E+ (I've actually never really been able to really hear mine while I owned the E+)
  • WEIGHT: obviously, the S2 is lighter. I've had to carry both, and the S2 being ~5 lbs lighter than the E+ is significant
  • HANDLE: when carrying, the S2 handle is much sturdier and more comfortable (softer grip). The E+ grip, while a cool design, is impractical, more uncomfortable (the handle is a harder material and, being only attached on one end, always made the E+ feel like the weight was prone to slipping/dropping), and over time, has broken off on many owners.
  • HANDLE DISENGAGE: pretty much, the S2 has it, the E+ doesn't. Very convenient for riding in and out of stores.
  • BATTERY: so this is a bit nit-picky, but I like the S2 battery packs better because they are encased in plastic shells and look less like bombs, unlike the E+ blue plastic shrink wrap.
  • FLIGHT SAFETY: the S2 dividing up the batteries into 2 155WH packs makes the S2 flight travel approved, at least here in the US under TSA regulations.
  • WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION: the S2 evenly distributes the battery weight, with each battery pack occupying one leg / side, whereas the E+ weight is imbalanced, with the heavier battery pack on one side, and the much lighter control board on the other.

There are many different versions of the V5 (V5/V5+/V5D/V5F/V5F+) with different motor powers and max speed. @Jason McNeil / eWheels.com 's V5F+ is one of the fastest, and in my real world riding experience, about 1 km/h faster than the E+ and S2, with, as Jason has stated here, a potential firmware speed increase coming.

Inmotion-V5F-vs-Ninebot-One-E-Model-Comp

7 hours ago, cloudust said:

@Macintosh One S2 is actually a bit faster than One E+ but it beeps way too often. 

Both are smooth rides but One E+ just gives more comfort. 

I ride One E+ to work and back home everyday and the total mileage is around 20km. 

Maybe you should add a miniPRO to the family. Just saw a news that Amazon.fr plans to drop the price to EUR599. It is incredible!

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/trottinette-electrique/ninebot-minipro-p29239/bon-plan-gyropode-ninebot-minipro-passe-a-599-euros-n57049.html

The price of the minipro is very attractive but I prefer to take an unicycle to start ;)

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

There is an attachable handle accessory for the Ninebot One.  Check out @SuperSport's mods.  I believe he has one on his.  Carrying an EUC around whether it is 25 pounds or 30 pounds is going to be not pleasant.  It's like carrying carry-on luggage - it's much better to roll it around on a handle.  The S2 is smaller, but I don't know if there is a trolley handle for it.  I haven't ridden the S2 so I don't know if there is a big difference in ride.  I think the extra heft in the Ninebot One allows it to plow over larger bumps just due to the mass.  Here's a comparison review:

Thanks, do you know if I can ride the ninebot with the handle fixed on it or I have to remove during the ride ? I've seen this review, and it conforts me to  keep the E+.

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

@Macintosh not sure about the rest of the posters on this thread, but I've owned both E+ and S2, so I'll chime in here. (at one point, both have been my daily drivers for 2-3 months)

First, overall, IMHO, basically, Ninebot One S2 = Ninebot One E+; pretty much the same riding experience for me.

Sure, you can argue 14" is more maneuverable, vs 16" is a balance between maneuverability and comfort (I think this argument is way overblown, especially since, in your case, we're talking about mainly Paris city / paved roads driving), but the S2 in my experience drives, more or less, exactly like the E+, top speed and all.

But, if I personally had to pick between the 2 Ninebots, regardless if I were in your position of owning an E+ already, I would choose the S2.

Was seriously considering to keep my E+ but now I'm hesitating again :w00t2: But don't you think it'll be more confortable and easy to pass  through the steps of the sidewalk with an E+ than with a S2 ? Like this kind of step for example:

Fillette-Marche-Ecole.jpg

And do you think I'll feel the same sensations on these kind of sidewalks and roads with the E+ and S2 or it i'll be more confortable with the E+:

photo-pave2.jpg

124-1.jpg

DSC02518.jpg

27 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Was seriously considering to keep my E+ but now I'm hesitating again :w00t2: But don't you think it'll be more confortable and easy to pass  through the steps of the sidewalk with an E+ than with a S2 ? Like this kind of step for example:

And do you think I'll feel the same sensations on these kind of sidewalks and roads with the E+ and S2 or it i'll be more confortable with the E+:

Comfort is subjective, but regardless, you will feel the bumps on both.

I would say you might feel the bumps a little bit more on the S2 IMHO not due to the wheel size, but due to the decreased weight of the wheel and the kind of tire (usually Kenda for Ninebot I believe - I might be wrong). But, personally, I would not equate the difference enough to say one is more comfortable than the other.

Recently, I've discovered that the kind of tire you use is much more important for comfort/feeling bumps, as the Chaoyang tire that came with my V5F+ has been an eye-opening revelation (the Chaoyang tire absorbs bumps like no other). But unfortunately, there aren't many ways to obtain different kind of tires (outside of the usual Kenda tires most companies use on their EUCs) in EUC sizes outside of China.

48 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

photo-pave2.jpg

I agree with HOJ that it will be bumpy no matter what, but the added weight seems to help get over bumps over an inch tall.  I still approach at an angle if possible.  With curbs hopping up over them would be easier with the lighter wheel I'm guessing, but there are no side grips on the S2.  If you watch @Jonathan Tolhurst's videos steps are no barrier with the Ninebot One E+ if you are able to jump like him!  :blink:

Comfort-wise the heavier Ninebot One E+ feels more secure over irregular surfaces than my lighter generic 14" wheel due mainly to the mass that doesn't jar as easily around.  At the prices these S2's are at, it might be worthwhile just getting one and trying it out yourself.

55 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Thanks, do you know if I can ride the ninebot with the handle fixed on it or I have to remove during the ride ? I've seen this review, and it conforts me to  keep the E+.

Definitely you can ride with it on or off.  There are plenty of ride videos where people have it attached on the back or front.  I don't have one as it looks a little weird with the handle, but that's just me.  B)  People ride on their wheels all decked out with Go Pro's gripped onto their accessory mount plus trolley handle and rear kickstand rest.

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

@Macintosh try to avoid cobblestones, they are annoying no matter what you are riding or driving:(  My E+ handles them fine, but the small, jarring, rapid up and down vibration drives me crazy:w00t2:

Unless, of course, you like small rapid up and down vibrations...  ;)

• 1 year later...
On 11/4/2016 at 5:48 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

The part with the teddy bear! :P:D 

Archived