Piggyback ride faceplant!

Sidestreet Reny

I was giving my girlfriend a ride on my back while going up a steep hill.....on a god damned Airwheel X3!!! Together we way 250 pounds (me 150 her 100) and it just gave up on the way up the hill, no warning...except of course common sense. lol. My lady obviously landed on me, that's why I landed on my face...but my beautiful girlfriend did make it out of the ordeal with a little scrape on her shoulder...thank god! My knee is fucked up, but I should be back up riding in a week or two, as long as I heal well...and quick! God willing.

BTW A helmet would have just lifted my forehead on impact pushing my lower face to the cement and left me without teeth or a broken nose....just in case anyone wonders, believe it or not, I got lucky! I am alive and walking, and so is my lady.

Holy cow! Sorry to hear this, dude. Knees are the first thing that hits the ground...

250 lbs up a steep hill on an airwheel x3??  What were you thinking, my friend?

look at the bright side - at least it was you that got hurt and not your lady's beautiful face ! 

You are a bit reckless but quite daring , gotta give you that! Get well soon. We want to see you back in the game on your euc competition video !!

Problem with the Airwheels is that they appear to use a BMS intended for electric bikes. Too high a current demand or too low a voltage they cut power. A laudable thing to do on an electric bike as it protects the battery at no real risk to the rider, but on an EUC just plain stupid. If the output protection MOSFET's on the BMS are shunted, one would hope that the wheel would have tilted back and/beeped to let you know it wasn't at all happy.

Sigh ... I have just realized I weigh more than you and your girlfriend put together ... no affordable X3 for me I guess. It would be perfect to transport my RC cars to all my favourite bashing locations in my neighbourhood. Riding one-handed on a bicycle with a huge transport box (1;8th scale truggies ...) in the other hand sucks.

Lucky you that you did not break any thing! And lucky your girlfriend that have a boyfriend that steps in as an "air bag" to save her from injuries!  ;)

Now you (as well as I) have tried how hard a faceplant is for a 250 lbs person (my weight is even a little higher) ;)

If I have not forgotten everything from high school: With that weight (250 lbs = 113 kg) on that wheel (400 W?) you must go slow uphill. 400 W will lift 113 kg vertically about 36 cm pr second. You will be lifted 36 cm per second if you go up a ~7.5 degree (13 %) slope with 10 kph. And remember that rolling resistance, which might be significant with that weight on the wheel if you haven't pumped up your tire very hard (as I have done) will add needed wattage to the 400. I don't however know at what wattage the X3 will give in. It might be higher than 400 W.

Just now, Chriull said:

I have the same, but i never rode with the chin guard on :ph34r: would have been cheaper buying one without...

I want the chin guard for the occations when I am challenging my (and potentially the wheels) limits. The alternative was buying a full face MTB/BMX helmet.

10 minutes ago, EUC-Lover said:

Correct me from wrong, but it's not the "battery pack" that fails when overheating. It's the other electronics, such as motherboard, MOSFETs etc. 

Looking forward being corrected, if my opinion is false... 

you are correct...

on hard hills...driving to fast...it are usually the mosfets that can not stand the continuous power switching....

it is the first time i heard about temperature on batterie to high....that would lead me to the suggestion that the batteries are from the wrong type...because the board/EUC should not gernerate more amps than the capabilities of the EUC...or if they do, just for some second...

Well, maybe are the MOSFETs that have termal shutdown, I don't know but my battery packs shutoff if they get hot. Happen to me if I leave the EUC inside the car on hot day, I need to let it cool down for it to Turn on again.

But I understand that are some reasons why the battery pack and the controle board may shutoff.

6 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

Well, maybe are the MOSFETs that have termal shutdown, I don't know but my battery packs shutoff if they get hot. Happen to me if I leave the EUC inside the car on hot day, I need to let it cool down for it to Turn on again.

But I understand that are some reasons why the battery pack and the controle board may shutoff.

aaah, ok, thats another situation...while you really should not leave the batt packs in a hot car...can be dangerrous! ;-)

its just that on extrem riding, the mosfets and with it the board gets to hot...and the batteries should not....if they do on riding, not so good.

On 8/19/2016 at 0:23 PM, KingSong69 said:

you are correct...

on hard hills...driving to fast...it are usually the mosfets that can not stand the continuous power switching....

I bought an X3 for testing against the IPS a130s that we sell with the LG HG2 cells. 

The evidence from testing is that the X3 is programmed to give-out as soon as it reaches a peak power rating of only 1000W, a second later it recovers (by which time the damage is already done!), it is not able to sustain any decent amount of power.  

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjLUtDM3U5a

@Sidestreet Reny i wish you a fast recovery, bro!!! we want to see you on contest :-)

But really?!?! what did you exspect from two people on a X3 on a steep hill??

Thats double faceplant garantie!

If it wasn't you i would shout "Stupid mo......" ;-)

Nearly as good as i tried a hefty lean on 29kmh on my Ks16 to show how fast it is, Oouch!

that are the wheels which makes us feeling like superheroes ;-)

32 minutes ago, EUC-Lover said:

Correct me from wrong, but it's not the "battery pack" that fails when overheating. It's the other electronics, such as motherboard, MOSFETs etc. 

Looking forward being corrected, if my opinion is false... 

You are absolutely correct, if anything the ability of a LiIon to deliver current is improved at higher temperatures although it will screw up the long term life of the batteries. Definitely not a good idea to let them cook in a car.

A VERY hot main board in the EUC would however definitely not improve its performance. 

7 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

I don't recall ever seeing a mosfet that states it has thermal shutdown (ie. thermal protection), like some linear regulators and motor drive chips... Could be wrong though. Usually they'll just happily 1) increase their Rds(on), making them even hotter and 2) lower their Vgs, making them prone to open when they shouldn't due to a voltage fluctuating or such ;) So after "hot enough", they sort of chain react to destroy themselves :P   Still, I'd guess it's the BMS that monitors the battery temperature and cuts the power if they get too hot, or the mainboard logics.

@Sidestreet Reny sorry for you and your lady, get well soon.

21 hours ago, esaj said:

Still, I'd guess it's the BMS that monitors the battery temperature and cuts the power if they get too hot, or the mainboard logics.

Yes sir, most BMS (even laptops batteries one's) include a thermistor and their datasheet specify the temperature protection. That said, the microcontrollers include internal thermal sensors for self-monitoring and EUC firmwares could use it's data.

Archived