KingSong S19 1800wh: 100V, 18" tire, suspension, 71lbs

jimjam.nyc

Seems quit nice wheel. (Till we see the insides..) Enough speed/power and has a real 18x3" tire. Everything i want. And only 2 kg heavier than my ideal weight to power would be. With 2kg i can deal with.

But i have one question.

Spoiler

Is it possible to remove the suspension somehow? :D Or when it breaks over time. Is it possible to convert it to regular wheel without suspension?

I'm mainly asking this, because every wheel has suspension now.. And it seems in future every new release will also include it. (I know it sounds crazy. Why would anyone want to remove suspension.. It's the best thing invented, since EUC itself! But i have my own reasons...)

4 minutes ago, Funky said:

But i have one question.

You could fabricate a solid bar or structure to replace the shock. But you probably have a distorted understanding of how little maintenance the shock actually requires. The S19 has a coil spring, nothing to pump but the tire. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

You could fabricate a solid bar or structure to replace the shock. But you probably have a distorted understanding of how little maintenance the shock actually requires. The S19 has a coil spring, nothing to pump but the tire. 

Yeah. I have zero understanding how much maintenance the shocks need.. As i have never done any maintenance even on my MTB over 9+ years. (Old MTB that i used for winter riding.) It's shocks still work.. But most of the time i rode with locked suspension.

I usually sell, add ~200$ and bought new one, before any work needed to be done. As i won't be selling EUC so soon. I don't really wanna have to maintain anything. :D (I guess once a year disassemble and greasing the "moving" parts is a must?)

Doh do you think that spring that S19 comes originally with, will be "good enough" for my 125kg heavy ass? (I'm not jumping even curbs, if you wanna know how gently i ride.) Or would my weight bottom out quit easily? (Road inperfetions, small potholes, such..)

Or are there aftermarket springs for heavier riders? That would fit S19?

I actually like spring coils more. As they don't need to be pumped or done anything. Doh i could see the links themselves wearing out over years? Or the "sliders" themselves. S18 suspension needed be aligned perfectly.. I hope S19 suspension is better, than S18.

2 hours ago, Funky said:

I don't know for sure. But ....

According to ewheels, both the S22 and the S19 use the DNM RCP 2S coil-over shock. Both suspension have 130 mm travel.

And we know people have been replacing the coil spring with different spring rates on the S22.

However, it is not clear that you necessarily need to use a higher spring rate since you won't be even riding off curbs, and the wheel has 130mm of travel, and you can adjust preload. Additionally, the mono-shock suspension design uses a rising rate linkage that have been proven effective on the S22. Of course, unless you want a firmer ride.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Funky said:

I usually sell, add ~200$ and bought new one, before any work needed to be done.

Instead of losing $200 every now and then and going through the trouble of selling, you could’ve survived with a $100 maintenance bill from a bicycle shop…

7 hours ago, Funky said:

(I guess once a year disassemble and greasing the "moving" parts is a must?)

The sliders would surely benefit from clean up and lubrication every now and then, but since you won’t mind if it doesn’t operate at 100% efficacy, you might be ok without any. I don’t think a coil over itself needs anything to be done.

7 hours ago, Funky said:

Doh do you think that spring that S19 comes originally with, will be "good enough" for my 125kg heavy ass?

For your use case, my guess is yes.

7 hours ago, Funky said:

There surely are.

7 hours ago, Funky said:

i could see the links themselves wearing out over years?

All moving parts are bearings on the linkage, so I wouldn’t expect any crucial maintenance on those either. The motor bearings are under much more stress, yet they go on happily year after year (as long as they don’t get water inside).

7 hours ago, Funky said:

S18 suspension needed be aligned perfectly.. I hope S19 suspension is better, than S18.

Me too. Being closed off by the shell, we don’t yet know if the S19 uses grooves and rails like the S22, or slider tubes like the S18.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 5:57 AM, novazeus said:

btw, why does inmotion tell u to wait ten minutes to adjust the air pressure on the shocks?

I imagine it's to do with temperature. Shocks get warm when used; that would increase air pressure. Same as in a tire - measure when cold.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Hmm. That was uninspiring.

yawn, ditto here... im sure the kingsong lovers got a hard on after that video (which i guess that was the crowd it was intended for...).  if you view it as a piece of film-making,  its quite boring.  from a marketing point of view,  its reminds me too much of those pre-release videos you see at the toronto auto show.  all the luxury car vendors are baiting followers of their brand with a 'peek' at their next offerings,  giving little practical information.  its almost like sales foreplay in the end (not in the literal sense...)...

their video should have:

-been more descriptive of their new wheel;  provide practical views of the new wheel,  chart out the various specifications and characteristics.

- show abit of pride in their new offering and add some action footage etc,...

im sure if they gave the assignment to a group of highschool or college film/video makers,  it would have been "da bomb meng..."...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Look closely at the sliders in the image below. They look like fork-style sliders, not those from the S18 nor the S20. It looks to be centrally mounted, and quite beefy too. This could be potentially be a low maintenance, low stiction solution, and yet have the Kingsong's signature rising rate linkage.

I know it's only a computer generated image, but if it is indeed real, the S19 has something special, especially for the jumper types.

25784826_Screenshot_20230409-150943_Edge2.thumb.jpg.554ddf04374eee83783d1fcdfe72f9ef.jpg

7 hours ago, techyiam said:

Look closely at the sliders in the image below. They look like fork-style sliders, not those from the S18 nor the S20. It looks to be centrally mounted, and quite beefy too. This could be potentially be a low maintenance, low stiction solution, and yet have the Kingsong's signature rising rate linkage.

I know it's only a computer generated image, but if it is indeed real, the S19 has something special, especially for the jumper types.

[Image]

I think you may be seeing the orange linkages through from the front? Looking close to where the axle is, I'm personally seeing what looks very much like the S22's motor bracket, but I hope you're right about improvements to the slider design.

Edited by redfoxdude

1 hour ago, redfoxdude said:

I think you may be seeing the orange linkages through from the front?

To me, they looked like coated stanchions, one on each side.

Looking close to where the axle is, I'm personally seeing what looks very much like the S22's motor bracket,

I tried to look for more details around the axle, but I failed to see any since they are completely obscured. Which image were you looking at?

but I hope you're right about improvements to the slider design.

Me too. Time will tell.

10 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Ohh nice, but ehhh, not to sound to negative, this wheel comes with prefabricated dust and dirt inlets.. or outlets?  What is wrong? Doesn't anybody in this business learn from anything?

Annotation 2023-04-11 112305.jpg

• Haha 1

To me it looks like  a refined version of the S22, but with an even smaller battery.  This would have been a game breaker a couple of years ago, but not today.  

And what is it about having the charge ports underneath?  Why?  To tick off the owner each and everytime they charge it?

What stood out for me in the videos:

Charge port position. This is nothing but KS saving half a buck at any cost by attaching the charge ports directly on the mainboard. The connector area will easily get muddy and all kinds of dirty, and is a nightmare to use. You need to reach the charging cables to inside the freakin’ wheel!

(Edit: I was wrong about the charge ports being directly on the mainboard on the S22, and the S19 will probably follow the same design. Though this makes me understand the awkward positioning even less.)

Two-hand handle operation. The locking lever for the handle is at the opposite side of the wheel than the grab point, and there is no spring to pop up the handle, so you can’t operate the handle with one hand no matter how much imagination you use. It’s two hands or nothing. “Hold this” gets a new meaning… (“I’m serious, come on, just hold these so I can start trolleying my wheel!”)

Suspension rollers. The single roller that’s visible doesn’t reveal much of the system. But it’s clear that it’s open to one of the dirtiest and dustiest areas of an EUC. Expect having to disassemble and clean the mechanism often.

Fixed pads are too vertical at the front, so they don’t allow much knee bending nor fast accelerations, unless you spread your knees to the outside of the pads, which means you’re running without pads. Incredible oversight.

Pointy speaker enclosure. Unless you’re using tall motorcycle boots or such, the corners of the speaker enclosure will probably dig into your calves. The brake pads at the top are a good bit behind the speaker enclosures, which is probably a bit too far back overall anyway.

So many facepalms, again. One would think that they’d learn, but no. There’s always something that is less comfortable, more difficult to use, impairs durability, etc, compared to previous models. KS is starting to look even a bit Begodeish from some aspects. And that’s really bad.

But no matter how they’d screw up a design, there are always people who want the best some spec. If they happen to want the most suspension travel, they still buy a KS. 

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to KingSong S19 1800wh: 100V, 18" tire, suspension, 71lbs