Begode EX30 4000W 3600Wh 134v Suspension

1 minute ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

:roflmao:

Your response is to post a video from 5 months ago?

I saw that vid when it came out, I remember thinking it really didn't seem like he was pushing the wheel to me so I was pretty surprised to see it go down. Low battery? Dunno but I've seen a lot of EX30's pushed harder than that (or at least they looked like it!)

Still sitting on the fence re updating firmware, if it's all about increased speed I'm not interested as I'm never on the limit as it is but if theres anything else of interest in the updates I might consider it.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious if anyone here has ridden both 50E and 50S EX30s, and if you've noticed easier torque/acceleration? Also is 20amp charging true on the 50S version?

Frankly 2700-3000wh isn't enough as much as the newer higher voltage wheels are tempting, and as I love my EX30, a 50S version is what I'm going with as I want a bit more oomph without worrying when I'm drawing 70-100+ amp current and riding to lower battery levels.

1 hour ago, Monoxplorer said:

I'm curious if anyone here has ridden both 50E and 50S EX30s, and if you've noticed easier torque/acceleration? Also is 20amp charging true on the 50S version?

Frankly 2700-3000wh isn't enough as much as the newer higher voltage wheels are tempting, and as I love my EX30, a 50S version is what I'm going with as I want a bit more oomph without worrying when I'm drawing 70-100+ amp current and riding to lower battery levels.

What speeds you riding? I did notice a difference in torque with offroad mode with mine but back on race mode now with FW set at 5. If I'm not mistaken the charge board will limit charging rate and voltage.

Edited by Crab
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Crab said:

What speeds you riding? I did notice a difference in torque with offroad mode with mine but back on race mode now with FW set at 5. If I'm not mistaken the charge board will limit charging rate and voltage.

Usually 30-50+mph, but I rarely go over 40 once my battery levels get down to -60%, just because I've seen too many cutouts and not interested lol I like fast accelerations and ride streets so quick pushes happen often.
I read somewhere that CP 50S can charge up to 20 amps so if that's the case I don't see why the EX30 wouldn't be. 

For all of you Ladies and Gentlemen who (pretend to) know everything about what Field Weakening is, read this excellent little note below.  I have done that myself.  Before I knew nothing,  Now I know something more than nothing, but not enough to still not be confused, just more than before. :facepalm::P

Field Weakening - What, How, and Why to do It

https://www.powertransmission.com/articles/1375-field-weakening-what-how-and-why-to-do-it

image.png

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Crab said:

If I'm not mistaken the charge board will limit charging rate and voltage.

Thats correct, and unless someone can show that the 50S version has a different dist board to the 50E version then I suspect the limit will be the same.

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

Thats correct, and unless someone can show that the 50S version has a different dist board to the 50E version then I suspect the limit will be the same.

My understanding is just that. I’ve heard you can do 12a up to perhaps 85 percent then need to back off to 9 or so to finish. I am running the 330 test firmware with field weakening that Dawn and Roger liked, I doubt I will ever get it to kick in but it feels great. Super stable ride without the annoying dip fwd and back, even off-road mode felt really nice.

Edited by Crab

11 minutes ago, Crab said:

My understanding is just that. I’ve heard you can do 12a up to perhaps 85 percent then need to back off to 9 or so to finish.

Yeah I heard the same, although one guy on this forum couldn't continue with a reduced charge at all after it cut at 75%. Seems odd but thats what he reported.

11 minutes ago, Crab said:

I am running the 330 test firmware with field weakening that Dawn and Roger liked, I doubt I will ever get it to kick in but it feels great. Super stable ride without the annoying dip fwd and back, even off-road mode felt really nice.

I'm too scared to dick with it tbh, I'm running GW2025010 and I don't need field weakening. I don't notice any dipping either unless you're talking about when cornering which I'm kinda used to as it was the same on the Sherman. In any event theres an adjustment for it in the Begode app which I haven't touched so shows how much I'm not bothered by it lol.

12 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Yeah I heard the same, although one guy on this forum couldn't continue with a reduced charge at all after it cut at 75%. Seems odd but thats what he reported.

I'm too scared to dick with it tbh, I'm running GW2025010 and I don't need field weakening. I don't notice any dipping either unless you're talking about when cornering which I'm kinda used to as it was the same on the Sherman. In any event theres an adjustment for it in the Begode app which I haven't touched so shows how much I'm not bothered by it lol. 

Yea if it's good leave it, I was on 5005, Jason recommended 5011. The dip while turning sucks imo, set it to 4 or 5 for flat pedal turning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jorma Teräs said:

Can somebody record engine noise of it, while balancing at standstill (hold with hand)?

Race mode has a grunting sound, off road mode is quiet

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

This is what a new 168V EX30 3600Wh could look like, but probably wont...image.jpeg.a9425751f376a1f10f0e9f4ebd7aec24.jpeg

I feel something like this will definitely be coming from begode eventually. Enough of an upgrade from my EX30? Probably not. But would still be exciting to see

OK so what sort of amp alarms do people run in EUCW with their EX30? I had 'current' set to 30A and 'peak current' to 60A which is clearly too low as I have alarm blobs plastered all over my EUCW logs. It seems I peaked to 61.3 and was often hitting 30~40A whilst doing some 'spirited' accelerations (but not crazy compared to many!).

I can't seem to find any info on how much sustained current the EX30 is happy with. Anyone got any ideas?

8 hours ago, Planemo said:

EX30? I had 'current' set to 30A and 'peak current' to 60A which is clearly too low as I have alarm blobs plastered all over my EUCW logs. It seems I peaked to 61.3 and was often hitting 30~40A

Seems like EUCW uses (computed/real?) battery current? Maximum motor current from pull test goes up to 219A! 

8 hours ago, Planemo said:

spirited' accelerations (but not crazy compared to many!).

Or you have still very much safety margin...

For mosfet burden only motor current is of interest - power dissipation is proportional to the square of the motor current. You can enable data logging and look which current value is used.

Just looked it up - in @RagingGrandpa's logs is a column for current (battery) and current_phase (motor) :(

On 5/3/2023 at 3:52 PM, Nekko said:

I intend to go from the North to the South of Vietnam and document on YT, putting the EX30 through its paces.

Hi Nekko

That's one helluva trip😀 and I would love to see some clips of it. Where can I find those on YT?

On 3/26/2024 at 8:05 AM, Chriull said:

Seems like EUCW uses (computed/real?) battery current? Maximum motor current from pull test goes up to 219A! 

I'm not sure, I thought Begode were using true current measurement now? For sure, the current alarm settings I used to use in my MSX had to be a lot higher (like 90A) than what I am seeing on my EX.

On 3/26/2024 at 8:05 AM, Chriull said:

Or you have still very much safety margin...

Going by the log for the same ride, minimum margin says 35%. I can't tell if this occurred at the same point at my 61.3A peak though because the CSV doesn't show safety margin, I guess it's calculated within EUCW. It was short ride so I don't think anything was based too heavily on any major voltage reduction.

Edit: Just looked at the CSV log and found the safety margin column - when it hit 35% margin the current was actually 70.03A, but at the same time it recorded voltage at 120.7 so thats prob why the margin got a bit low. Oddly, I don't know why the home screen of the tour on the EUCW website shows a peak of 61.3A under 'wheel statistics' when it's clearly 70.03A on the CSV...

In any event I guess I need to raise my current alarm up to at least 80A, maybe 90.

Edited by Planemo

Samsung 50E cells in 6P can do 60A continuous and they can handle 90A though I wouldn't do it for a long period. Which would be quite difficult to sustain anyway since it requires heavy accelerations at already high speed / amps.

Some 4P wheels with LGM50T/LT which have a 7.3-14.3A rating depending on temperature have been know to high amp overlean at 56A.
Set it to 80A for now and see how often you hit the alarm.

Next time I ride with Simon I will ask for his stats. His riding weight is 100kg and he is as aggressive as they come. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Samsung 50E cells in 6P can do 60A continuous 

Set it to 80A for now and see how often you hit the alarm.

Thanks Mike, I was aware of the pack capability but had less knowledge about what the board etc could put up with. I think you're right, 80A would be a good peak current alarm figure. I don't think I will hit it that often tbf but I would like to have something set up just for those 'hmm am I asking too much up this hill at this speed' occasions.

16 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Next time I ride with Simon I will ask for his stats. His riding weight is 100kg and he is as aggressive as they come. 

That would be great info. I am about 95kg riding weight so pretty similar and by the sounds of it I'm not nearly as aggressive so his setting would be a good benchmark :thumbup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Planemo said:

Thanks Mike, I was aware of the pack capability but had less knowledge about what the board etc could put up with. I think you're right, 80A would be a good peak current alarm figure. I don't think I will hit it that often tbf but I would like to have something set up just for those 'hmm am I asking too much up this hill at this speed' occasions.

The board can put up with quite a lot more.

9 hours ago, Planemo said:

That would be great info. I am about 95kg riding weight so pretty similar and by the sounds of it I'm not nearly as aggressive so his setting would be a good benchmark :thumbup:

I hit 83A last week and my top speed was under 70kmh wheel reported. But Simon and I tend to drag race... and we have done so at 80kmh wheel reported as well. Although Simon does get a bit nervous when he looks down at the display and see 80 something. 

Snow storm today so I won't be getting any stats... but maybe this weekend. 

• Like 3