Begode EX30 4000W 3600Wh 134v Suspension

8 minutes ago, Robse said:

Time for a reminder:  Get yourself a rear mirror,  and watch out for das blue blinkelight's

And/or resist the temptation to let rip in the places where it may get you unwanted attention; discretion is the better part of valour!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

And/or resist the temptation to let rip in the places where it may get you unwanted attention; discretion is the better part of valour!

The proper thing to do^_^, but hard to manage since speeds under 25 kmph feels like falling of backwards.... for somebody

48 minutes ago, techyiam said:

But didn't the police told Mike that they wanted to confiscate the wheel to see whether the wheel itself is legal.

It can't be that hard to prove an EX30 can go faster than 20/25 km/h motor assisted. 

They don't know how to test it, they couldn't even get the brand or model right, and proving that the wheel is fast does not prove that the rider was going a certain speed.

42 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

They don't know how to test it, they couldn't even get the brand or model right, and proving that the wheel is fast does not prove that the rider was going a certain speed.

That may be so, but I don't believe a speeding ticket was Mike's only worry.

I thought he was also worry about being charged for riding a motorcycle without registration and insurance. With that, wouldn't he end up having to pay some percentage of his salary? 

Locally, riding an electric wheel can get someone a ticket around $1000 some years back. Only recently has it gone down to $600. The charge is riding without a license and insurance. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, techyiam said:

That may be so, but I don't believe a speeding ticket was Mike's only worry.

I thought he was also worry about being charged for riding a motorcycle without registration and insurance. With that, wouldn't he emd up having to pay some percentage of his salary? 

Locally, riding an electric wheel can get someone a ticket around $1000 some years back. Only recently has it gone down to $600. The charge is riding without a license and insurance. 

lol no he wasn't worried about that, that was a joke to all of us.

6 hours ago, pioneer said:

I think it's possible to order from a local manufacturer a charger with two output sockets and likely variable amperage for each socket (usually a half/full amperage switch), so the question is perhaps a bit broader: what should be the maximum amperage when 1) charging through one socket 2) charging through both sockets?

If you look at the charge distribution board, both ports go to the same battery leads. I have charged all 10a in one port. I know some riders that charge 5 and 5 each. It doesnt matter. 10a is the limit

• Like 1

11 hours ago, techyiam said:

But I don't buy the no proof part. Weren't the police following him. They would know whether he was going faster than 20/25 km/h  or not, wouldn't they?

I guess they’d have to follow a bit longer to match the speed. I heard that the onboard speed radars don’t focus on EUCs riders and the like. A local police stopped a rider here, but couldn’t give a ticket since they couldn’t radar the speed. 

9 hours ago, Rawnei said:

proving that the wheel is fast does not prove that the rider was going a certain speed.

Speeding can get you one ticket, riding an uninsured and unregistered vehicle gets you another, no matter what speed you’re riding at. If the wheel’s top speed was 25km/h or under, he wouldn’t get any of those tickets.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Speeding can get you one ticket, riding an uninsured and unregistered vehicle gets you another, no matter what speed you’re riding at. If the wheel’s top speed was 25km/h or under, he wouldn’t get any of those tickets.

Not quite, an EUC does not require insurance or registration in Sweden, in fact you can't insure or register one. However according to the law an EUC is not allowed to go faster than 20kmh from factory, meaning EUC that can do more than 20kmh is not legal in public space, riding one in public falls into the category of unlawful driving (olovlig körning) and leads to a fine.

In this particular case they did not have proof of what his speed was when they saw him as they had no way to measure it (they just saw him going past in an intersection) and they had no method to measure the speed of the wheel after they confiscated it, hence the prosecutor who had to handle the case from the police had nothing at all and case was therefor dismissed.

It's really not that complicated, police didn't do a proper job securing evidence regardless of the legal status of the vehicle in question.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Not quite, an EUC does not require insurance or registration in Sweden, in fact you can't insure or register one. However according to the law an EUC is not allowed to go faster than 20kmh from factory, meaning EUC that can do more than 20kmh is not legal in public space, riding one in public falls into the category of unlawful driving (olovlig körning) and leads to a fine.

In this particular case they did not have proof of what his speed was when they saw him as they had no way to measure it (they just saw him going past in an intersection) and they had no method to measure the speed of the wheel after they confiscated it, hence the prosecutor who had to handle the case from the police had nothing at all and case was therefor dismissed.

It's really not that complicated, police didn't do a proper job securing evidence regardless of the legal status of the vehicle in question.

All well and good. But can we learn anything, for the benefit of the EUC community as a whole, from this narrow squeak? 🤔 

55 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

All well and good. But can we learn anything, for the benefit of the EUC community as a whole, from this narrow squeak? 🤔 

No not really, this case really doesn't change anything even here locally in Sweden, local law and police practices apply as usual wherever you ride.

The one "gut feeling" I have in general (not based on this particular case) is that since the PEV community is growing (not just EUCs) we will only get more and more attention and with the current laws and regulations that could be a negative thing, society in large is still very car and bicycle focused and slow to adopt these new electrical modes of transportation, outside of the "wow that's cool" reaction from bystanders I don't think people in office is as enthusiastic which is a shame.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Not quite, an EUC does not require insurance or registration in Sweden, in fact you can't insure or register one.

I know, it’s the same in Finland. I guess it’s just called a bit differently. If a vehicle has the capability to go faster than 25km/h and doesn’t belong in any existing recognized vehicle category, the user is being ticketed from operating an unregistered vehicle. Same as if you were to ride a pit bike on public roads. They can’t be registered or insured to fit public roads either, so they aren’t motorcycles.

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I know, it’s the same in Finland. I guess it’s just called a bit differently. If a vehicle has the capability to go faster than 25km/h and doesn’t belong in any existing recognized vehicle category, the user is being ticketed from operating an unregistered vehicle. Same as if you were to ride a pit bike on public roads. They can’t be registered or insured to fit public roads either, so they aren’t motorcycles.

Doesn't work like that here since there is no law that it needs to be registered, self-balancing vehicle is allowed just as e-scooter, hoverboard etc as long as they fall within the set parameters (for self-balancing vehicle like EUC being 20kmh here), anything else is unlawful driving (not driving unregistered vehicle), we probably mean the same thing but it's a significant technical difference. 😁 If it was just a matter of registration then that is a different problem to solve, if we could get our EUCs registered oh boy that might have been pretty cool but then we would probably break other laws by riding off-road and in skateparks. 😂

If we want to lawfully ride our EUCs the way we do (fast, off-road, skateparks, walk them around the store) then I think maybe god needs to intervene. 🙏

Edited by Rawnei
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone experiment with tires on the EX30 yet? Ive tried a Michelin pilot street 2 and dont really like it compared to the same tire on a sherman. Yes begode widened the rim, but they widened it too much and that changes the profile of the tire. Standard rims for 80/90-14 tires is 2.15 inches wide. The old begode rims were narrower, but the EX30 rim is 2.3 inches wide. Roger has inserts that he puts on the EX30 rim to narrow the tire back to its true intended 2.15 inch. I am planning on putting the IRC NR77 tire on the EX30 next. Anyone change their EX30 tire?

8 hours ago, Cobaltsaber said:

Anyone experiment with tires on the EX30 yet?

Why don't you go to a 90/90? Is the shell too narrow?

It's weird how we went through a phase of people fitting way too fat tyres on what were then skinny EUC rims. I remember fitting an 80/90 to my MSX and it was bloody awful - profile was waaay too pointed.

Now we have decent width rims we should be able to get back to proper tyre profiles.

5 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Why don't you go to a 90/90? Is the shell too narrow?

It's weird how we went through a phase of people fitting way too fat tyres on what were then skinny EUC rims. I remember fitting an 80/90 to my MSX and it was bloody awful - profile was waaay too pointed.

Now we have decent width rims we should be able to get back to proper tyre profiles.

The EX30 I believe was originally designed around an 80/100 duro tire. But begode said it was not nimble at all and bad at carving so they stuck the usual cst186 on it (I bet they did this because they have a warehouse full of them). I have read on the fb groups that some 90/90 tires dont fit because the tire sits too tall and rubs the inner mudguard. The width is fine, but the clearance in the diameter is too small? Which doesnt make sense to me because the 90/90 indicates a wider tire. The second 90 value being the aspect ratio/sidewall height

In all honestly I would have thought that an 80 profile would be fine on an EX rim, if it is indeed 2.3". I certainly don't subscribe to the 'inserts' idea that Roger does so I would find a tyre that works without them personally.

Going up to a 90/90 does indeed increase the height because as you say the aspect ratio is a ratio of the width. I didn't know the EX had close tolerances an tyre height so yes I guess thats something to bear in mind.

If it were me I would go for an 80/90 MC tyre. I know you have reservations but it should work fine so maybe you just needed to get used to it? An increase of 0.15" (3.8mm) width on the rim really shouldn't be causing any massive profile issues. It may just be that that Pilot wasn't your thing (which is reasonable) and that you just need to try another make/model. I find the all-out street tyres like Pilots to be too single purpose for my needs, I would like to try something like the Heidenau K66 personally.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dear EX30 owners. How is the slider mechanism for your suspension holding up so far? Nice and tight? Has it turned "sticky" after a while? Anyone of you got some experience with abusing / pushing the suspension? What kind of maintenance are you looking at if you take it offroad frequently? 

I'm asking because from what I understand the Extreme will come with the same design just a bit more travel and I'm curious as to how it will hold up in the long run.

22 minutes ago, Poker said:

Dear EX30 owners. How is the slider mechanism for your suspension holding up so far? Nice and tight? Has it turned "sticky" after a while? Anyone of you got some experience with abusing / pushing the suspension? What kind of maintenance are you looking at if you take it offroad frequently? 

I'm asking because from what I understand the Extreme will come with the same design just a bit more travel and I'm curious as to how it will hold up in the long run.

The bushings will wear out over time and those will need replacement, it's also possible to get sand or dirt inside there and you will hear it.

In terms of EX30 things to look for is checking the motor screws are tight, friend of mine had one of his fall out and others coming loose.

Nice little mod from 2cells1pack, voltmeter incorporated into the stock display. I would prefer battery % personally but this is a nice little thing to have if you can't be bothered to take your phone out of your pocket and bring up an app:

On 8/5/2023 at 9:56 PM, Cobaltsaber said:

Anyone experiment with tires on the EX30 yet? Ive tried a Michelin pilot street 2 and dont really like it compared to the same tire on a sherman. Yes begode widened the rim, but they widened it too much and that changes the profile of the tire. Standard rims for 80/90-14 tires is 2.15 inches wide. The old begode rims were narrower, but the EX30 rim is 2.3 inches wide. Roger has inserts that he puts on the EX30 rim to narrow the tire back to its true intended 2.15 inch. I am planning on putting the IRC NR77 tire on the EX30 next. Anyone change their EX30 tire?

I find the CST has a catchy feeling in corners. If I run it high psi I find it hard to stop, if I run it low psi it’s easy to stop but catches more.  

• Like 1