Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

RagingGrandpa

38 minutes ago, Jon Wall said:

Funky, 

If you die from lead poisoning you would miss out on all these now wheels!

But if i'm already dead. Everything after my death would be meaningless and pointless. Because i would not exist.. :thumbup:

What new wheels are you talking about? :huh: I haven't seen no new releases past ~3 years. :D (I hate heavy wheels, so nothing new for me.)

3 hours ago, Paul g said:

The lead dust sticks to the hand, from the hand reaches the mouth and you ingest it. What we think are small amounts is causing actually a lot of damage.

To be clear, it is compounds of lead that are far more dangerous than the metal itself, lead pipes have been used since Roman times to carry water in houses, and a lead pellet in a shot gamebird, if ingested, will pass through the body and be expelled in the usual manner without harm to the person eating it. 

Even all those eating organic carrots will one day succumb…

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Lead is heavy and will make wheels heavier. Shouldn't you be against it for that alone?;)

I could give two ducks. Sherman_S is another heavy wheel("cough" TURD "cough"). So i would not buy it anyways. As for anyone who wanna buy it.. Y'all can drop like flies.:thumbup: I wouldn't lose sleep over it.   -Lil bit of dark humor.

artworks-ecgQxWWWoA7Ta7HF-e2IlZQ-t500x50

Edited by Funky

The Sherman-S is essentially a Sherman Max with suspension. 

It has a 3000 W motor. But the motor gives 8% more torque and 5% more speed.

It uses a coil spring since it has a preload adjuster.

The controller uses twenty-four 125V mosfets, and supports 680 A max.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Freeforester said:

To be clear, it is compounds of lead that are far more dangerous than the metal itself, lead pipes have been used since Roman times to carry water in houses, and a lead pellet in a shot gamebird, if ingested, will pass through the body and be expelled in the usual manner without harm to the person eating it. 

Even all those eating organic carrots will one day succumb…

Some of us have a beef with science.

2 hours ago, Freeforester said:

lead pipes have been used since Roman times to carry water in houses, and a lead pellet in a shot gamebird, if ingested, will pass through the body and be expelled in the usual manner without harm to the person eating it. 

Since the 1970's they no longer use lead in plumbing. An oxide layer is created in water that protects us from ingesting much lead but if the water supply chemistry is wrong this can fail and cause poisoning.  Although the risk might not be as high as people think. It is something best to minimise. I know in the 70's we used lead weights in fishing as kids and the like and we are fine* but I wouldn't recommend it nowadays. They understand the effects more and its a cumulative effect. The HSE has specific legislation on minimising lead exposure from inhalation, digestion and absorption of specific lead compounds. Would lead in a mixed composite handle be a major health hazard? Probably not [it is a not a very mobile element], unless say it caught fire. I would rather they not use lead in a product if its not needed. I can't see a reason why they have to use it in this application. 

*if I handled it frequently and for a long time would I still be.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 12:34 PM, DjPanJan said:

Every suspension system add +5 to +9Kg compared to original EUC this is just how real world work.

Incorrect. I just weighed the V11 suspension components, and they came out as 811g per side, total 1.622kg. Some of which would still be required as brackets on a non-suspension EUC.

9D77DDD3-3B5F-4BF2-850A-E9AF150BD24D.jpeg.0010ee853a9a152ca529aa4f70098055.jpeg

(Though the shock was empty, pumping it up would weigh a few micrograms more...)

On 8/30/2022 at 12:34 PM, DjPanJan said:

See S18 30.6KG with  18XL motor and JOKE battery and still 30Kg. (18XL is 27,8kg)

No, like @Funky mentioned, 18XL is 24.5kg. And S18 is 25.5kg.

The Sherman S suspension system is intriguing. I'm a bit doubtful how practical a coil spring would be, though I can't see what the preload adjustment could do in an air spring. So I guess coil spring it is.

"ShermaS" would bea nice nickname, though the plural form would be confusing. Maybe "Sherm-ES" would be more clear. Or Susman/Susmax. Or Shersus. Or just Shesus? Nah, too spiritual.

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

"ShermaS" would bea nice nickname, though the plural form would be confusing. Maybe "Sherm-ES" would be more clear. Or Susman/Susmax. Or Shersus. Or just Shesus? Nah, too spiritual.

Spoiler

31aa14f0-bc99-4e6b-b785-26ae420971dd-scr

Sussy Baka!

Edited by Funky

Hmm...if they have gone with coil it wont be nearly as compatible with different rider weights compared to air, preload adjuster or not.

Fastace seem to be another budget Chinese brand, similar to DNM although I'd never heard of Fastace before this thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Hmm...if they have gone with coil it wont be nearly as compatible with different rider weights compared to air, preload adjuster or not.

Exactly. Which is why I don't think a coil spring is a good idea as a factory install suspension on any EUC.

I think some people concentrate on the small coil spring advantages without considering the big picture. For example on the S22, slightly improved small bump compliance means nothing when the sliders have a lot of excess friction even if they were just cleaned out of the crud that will soon again make the suspension function very poorly.

Checking the shock pressures every 2-4 weeks really isn't that big of a deal. Especially compared to the KS's suggestion of disassembling the wheel and cleaning the sliders every freaking month.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Since the 1970's they no longer use lead in plumbing. An oxide layer is created in water that protects us from ingesting much lead but if the water supply chemistry is wrong this can fail and cause poisoning.  Although the risk might not be as high as people think. It is something best to minimise. I know in the 70's we used lead weights in fishing as kids and the like and we are fine* but I wouldn't recommend it nowadays. They understand the effects more and its a cumulative effect. The HSE has specific legislation on minimising lead exposure from inhalation, digestion and absorption of specific lead compounds. Would lead in a mixed composite handle be a major health hazard? Probably not [it is a not a very mobile element], unless say it caught fire. I would rather they not use lead in a product if its not needed. I can't see a reason why they have to use it in this application. 

*if I handled it frequently and for a long time would I still be.

When I was a kid/adolescent I was handling lead weights in fishing rods as well. I don’t know if is the right think to say on a public forum, but in adolescence I suffered from depression. I can’t stop thinking that was the reason. I was told as a kid that lead was dangerous, but it always seemed to me as an exaggeration. That dust that sticks to the hand when handing lead is lead oxide and is a lot of it. The lead poisoning is always an insidious thing. How do you know your IQ was affected? How do you know it made you more anxious? How do you know it made you prone to depression? The best thing is for this metal to not be present in these machines we use.

Edited by Paul g
  • Like 1

In the leaked promotional material on the Sherman-S, it almost seemed like the use of nylon and lead material in the trolley handle and lift handles was an advantage.

In the past, motorcyclists have use lead shot in their handlebars to dampen vibrations. 

In any case, it shouldn't be difficult for Leaper Kim to remedy this concern.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brendan12345 said:

When I go fishing I'm handling lead sinkers and spearfishing belt weights all the time. Never heard of it being that bad to be touching them

The lead you use has a protective oxide layer so you will be fine touching it. I was thinking of the little lead ball weights with a slit in the middle I used when fly fishing. In a little round case, it used to make my fingers go black from the dust.  I pressed them on the fishing line. If I licked my fingers then this would be an issue. Ingesting lead is bad for you in any form. Best to minimise but I still think the risk in a composite material would be very low (many houses still have old lead paint on their windows etc) and would be more of an issue to the workers who manufacture it than to us.

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension

Just saw the title has been changed.

Any reason the colon is placed after the "3600wh" rather than after the "Sherman-S"?

It's no issue but I would have thought "Title" followed by ": list of attributes" would have been more correct.

As in:
Sherman-S: 3600wh, 100V, 20", suspension

Obviously it's fine to title it anything you please, just wondering if there's a reason: :)

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb