Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

RagingGrandpa

6 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Whaaa?

14" rim same as Sherman V1 seems quite plausible to me... fingers crossed it's the classic size.

5_ffe7e13a-fafb-479a-9e57-0076484b61c2_1024x1024.png?v=1647034462 image.thumb.png.7d4ed72b4b852faf5a912e7dbbfa4f53.png 

Looks like my Sherman Max rim to me. 14" wide nothing special.  Definitely not the badass CGI rim pictured with support from bead to bead. Maybe they are using the Max rim for mockup and light testing until the this CGI rim is produced? Just wishful thinking and I'm happy to be wrong. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jon Wall said:

Hope that kickstand is easily removed. I prefer the typical Sherman, park on its nose type stands that everyone diy's .That's about the only thing I  don't care much for. The rest looks excellent 

Third'd. Just tip it forward and rest it on that beefy handle, no need for a separate stand! Hopefully the lights are sufficiently recessed to make this stable, but even if not it's still a much better stand solution with a quick printed piece.

3 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

Hard to watch. They fail miserably at trying to showcase the suspension of the wheel: they use a dirt road without noticeable bumps, where there are bumps they are mellow and shallow, and all is compounded by the lack of speed. Find a speed bump on a paved road, roll over it at high speed and film it. 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paul g said:

Hard to watch. They fail miserably at trying to showcase the suspension of the wheel: they use a dirt road without noticeable bumps, where there are bumps they are mellow and shallow, and all is compounded by the lack of speed. Find a speed bump on a paved road, roll over it at high speed and film it. 🤦‍♂️ 

My take is somewhat different. 

I thought the low speed small bump compliance was better than other wheels that I have seen.

However, they now need to show us how well the Sherman-S can deal with the big hits. If the Sherman-S suspension has progressive action, sufficient suspension travel, or a combination of both, it can still do well in the bigger hits.

Edited by techyiam

I don't know... is it really fair to expect that your Rolls Royce and its oh so cushy-deluxe ride will be appropriate at Dakar? Sherman-S is huge and heavy and TALL and built for going places fast and far away. I'd design and tune the suspension for road first, and leave the big hits for the Land Cruisers.

Sure, absorbing a pothole is necessary too and taking a bigger one without launching the rider is "much better", but at some point the tension between pavement and bike park just isn't resolvable at a reasonable cost.

Of course, I'm assuming that this wheel is meant for tarmac and is not an off-road-first model. I mean, it doesn't say surging passion off road on the side. Right?

Edited by Tawpie

45 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I don't know... is it really fair to expect that your Rolls Royce and its oh so cushy-deluxe ride will be appropriate at Dakar? Sherman-S is huge and heavy and TALL and built for going places fast and far away. I'd design and tune the suspension for road first, and leave the big hits for the Land Cruisers.

Sure, absorbing a pothole is necessary too and taking a bigger one without launching the rider is "much better", but at some point the tension between pavement and bike park just isn't resolvable at a reasonable cost.

Of course, I'm assuming that this wheel is meant for tarmac and is not an off-road-first model. I mean, it doesn't say surging passion off road on the side. Right?

Fair enough. But this wheel does has a top speed of 90 km/h. And hitting bumps at 90 km/h would be a lot more challenging than what has been shown in the video. 

EDIT:

I don't know the top speed of the Sherman-S. I got mixed up with the V13. However, the point is the same, given the top speed will be high.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, techyiam said:

this wheel does has a top speed of 90 km/h. And hitting bumps at 90 km/h would be a lot more challenging than what has been shown in the video. 

That's truly an issue that Sherman-S and V13 have to address. Airtime at 90 kph is going to be deadly, they must help us keep the wheel on the ground.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jon Wall said:

Looks like my Sherman Max rim to me. 14" wide nothing special.

Oow, I really hope so.
I just thought looking at the video that the rim looked larger but after looking at other videos it does look more like 14", which is a relief.

Perhaps I got tricked by the way the suspension rises so high and seeing the rider's foot more in the centre (rather than at the bottom) of the wheel made me think the rim was bigger than it is:
image.thumb.png.3b0c5a5e47f8ce94ba510f7f6deb5e64.png

Upon closer inspection though it does indeed look like it could well be 14": :)
I for one am really hoping for a 14" rim myself, so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Upon closer inspection though it does indeed look like it could well be 14": :)
I for one am really hoping for a 14" rim myself, so fingers crossed.

I'd very confidently put my paycheck on it being a 14" rim, both from the images we have seen and more recently the videos of Chinese (read: Smaller/Shorter) riders demoing the prototype!

The videos definitely look to be a Sherman/Sherman Max spoked rim to my eye, I'm sure you will be relieved and happy once it's 14" rim is officially confirmed by Leaperkim!

Edited by fbhb

20 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Perhaps I got tricked by the way the suspension rises so high and seeing the rider's foot more in the centre (rather than at the bottom) of the wheel made me think the rim was bigger than it is:

I think that's whats giving me the impression. The way the rider is high up looking like the rim is bigger.

3 hours ago, techyiam said:

Also, Serbia euc, in the comment section of one of his video, said that the tire on the Sherman-S is the same tire that is on the Sherman Max. 

I actually like that tire a lot.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, techyiam said:

If the Sherman-S suspension has progressive action

It will be progressive by default, assuming it's air.

What would be handy though is if they enable the use of removable tokens (like MTB forks) to increase/decrease progressivity. And as good as this setup looks, I am going to sit on the fence regarding strength. I think I read somewhere that the stanchions are 30mm which would be incredibly skinny by MTB standards, where 40mm is considered 'up to date' now. And MTB's don't have the twisting stress of a huge front mounted hub motor. And as with all suspension EUC's, if the forks aren't easily serviceable then I wouldn't even consider it. Being able to easily change wiper seals, oil sponges and fluids is essential for decent operation/longevity of forks.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

And yeah, that definitely doesn't look like a 14" rim: 😔

5 hours ago, That Guy said:

Shermas? :-)

I am personally sure the suspension will be very good at least for street riding on Sherman-S, but is it easy to adjust balancing algorithm to a suspension wheel? Will it 

It was shown in the first Fastways / Leaperkim fork picture to have a specific measurement of adjustable preload. This would suggest coil sprung to me. Unless it has a floating air chamber, that would far overcomplicate it. And let's not overlook this is a inverted fork designed for this euc by a suspension company.  I'm sure the bushings, seals, wipers are all available as a service kit. This should easily be the best euc suspension yet

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

I think I read somewhere that the stanchions are 30mm which would be incredibly skinny by MTB standards, where 40mm is considered 'up to date' now. And MTB's don't have the twisting stress of a huge front mounted hub motor.

You are forgetting the significant difference in axle-to-crown distance, and a MTB front fork is a long cantilever. The primary load on an euc is on the pedals, with a portion on the power pads. The distance from axle to point of load distance is significantly shorter on an euc.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jon Wall said:

It was shown in the first Fastways / Leaperkim fork picture to have a specific measurement of adjustable preload. This would suggest coil sprung to me. Unless it has a floating air chamber, that would far overcomplicate it. And let's not overlook this is a inverted fork designed for this euc by a suspension company.  I'm sure the bushings, seals, wipers are all available as a service kit. This should easily be the best euc suspension yet

Here's the suspension MFG website  https://www.fastace.com/

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb