Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

RagingGrandpa

29 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Glad that Veteran at least is sticking with TO-247 sized mosfets.

Eh, they're not... it's an ewheels typo.

(CAD clearly shows surface-mount components; TO 247 was through-hole)

It's good tho :) 

On 9/11/2022 at 4:20 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Ah. Well that must be HY3712 then ;)

AL9nZEVTenlnaME5lHfKF3UHUPBmM9KRu9oTXVSi

It's double the resistance of SherMax; and they're using twice as many of them to compensate. 
Looks appropriate and unremarkable to me...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Marty Backe bring on Overheat Hill :D

I think surface-mount is a welcome trend, versus through-hole, because:

• Avoids through-hole soldering, which was performed manually with terrible variation for these backside-mount components.
  • Fewer components (no screws; no goop; no SIL pad) means decreased cost and also increased manufacturing repeatability. 
  • Avoids leg-stress from bolting components to a planar heatsink (improves durability).
  • Potential for even better heat transfer out of the IC's, especially when used with an aluminum-substrate PCB. 

Those cheap chunky TO-247 HY5012's from the MSX era had rather unimpressive ratings, and were problem prone (lots of dead-on-arrival or early-failing controllers because of manufacturing defects). I'm glad to see progress here.

15 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

smaller mosfets

... but twice as many of them!

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

@Marty Backe bring on Overheat Hill :D

• Avoids through-hole soldering, which was performed manually with terrible variation for these backside-mount components.
  • Fewer components (no screws; no goop; no SIL pad) means decreased cost and also increased manufacturing repeatability. 
  • Avoids leg-stress from bolting components to a separate heatsink (improves durability).
  • Potential for even better heat transfer out of the IC's, especially when used with an aluminum-substrate PCB. 

Those cheap chunky TO-247 HY5012's from the MSX era were slow-responding (read: inefficient) and problem prone (lots of dead-on-arrival or early-failing controllers because of manufacturing defects). I'm glad to see progress here.

• Yes
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • And yes

All hail the beginning of a new era.

• Like 1

From an older discussion I had with @enaon , I think we should credit KingSong as well, since the flat-on-the-board FET in the S18 seems to have started the trend. Engineers sought the benefits and reproduced it in a form or other in the next wheels. I’m not so good with older wheels, so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Edited by Paul g

Was going to mention that I think the S18 is still through hole, but has slightly different approach to the heatsink.

Anyway I think there's some advantages to the SMD form factor, but I think for reliability I'd prefer to have bigger ones that handle more current and have more heat dissipation instead of having more small ones. Unfortunately that goes against marketing who wants to have the board with the most FETs on it.

• Like 1

@RagingGrandpa In the S18 FETs are trough-hole but they bend the legs and lay them flat on the board, and I think is a much better design for cooling since it allowed for mounting on a flat heat sink underneath. So my impression is that this is what led designers simply to go for surface-mount without needing to bend FETs legs 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Paul g
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, chanman said:

Was going to mention that I think the S18 is still through hole, but has slightly different approach to the heatsink.

Anyway I think there's some advantages to the SMD form factor, but I think for reliability I'd prefer to have bigger ones that handle more current and have more heat dissipation instead of having more small ones. Unfortunately that goes against marketing who wants to have the board with the most FETs on it.

Doesn’t more FETs spread on a larger area dissipate heat in a fan-less design better than less on a smaller area which would necessitate a fan? I think it might work better even if it’s not impressive. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul g said:

Doesn’t more FETs spread on a larger area dissipate heat in a fan-less design better than less on a smaller area

I think this is generally correct, the reliability I was referring to is not from better heat management, but from having fewer components that can each have manufacturing or assembly defects or other random failures. The total area involved could be similar though with the larger components.

Edited by chanman
  • Like 1

@chanman I noticed the poor heat dissipation problem can lead to components failure (FETs as well) in many cases so the easier is the cooling the better for me. I also prefer a fanless design over one with a fan. Less FETs with more power will occupy a much smaller area and would automatically lead to fan design in my opinion. For less FETs start using copper heatsinks? Maybe that will be the next step, since 24 FETs seem to have reached a limit. 

The heat dissipation is almost double for copper.

25E83421-B3D5-4EDE-A155-61DD5B89CDC2.thumb.jpeg.2dabeb07ce3114f3268ecf0665f99d07.jpeg

Source: https://www.gabrian.com/copper-vs-aluminum-heatsinks/ 

Edited by Paul g

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

•  

I really like them too, but I think the sandwich approach on the boards is not on the path of a fanless system.

Edited by enaon

9 minutes ago, enaon said:

I really like them too, but I think the sandwich approach on the boards is not on the path of a fanless system.

Good observation. All-in-one-board design is king. That is why I like so much the S18 design (that was followed by S20-22 muddied by bad FET choice). That thing is a work of art! Every little space on that use-all-space-we-have board is used savagely:

0DB0AEFE-88B8-4E35-B7A0-6197842662EB.thumb.jpeg.dd5260fe68e2c06d452967f668de2340.jpeg

I think the KingSong engineers that designed that board need to be appreciated for their mastery.

Edited by Paul g

18 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Nice! I hear some beeping there, but other than that it sounds like a quality (bike) suspension should sound, no clunky noise like V13- the prototype faze. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Why not?

As shown below, the "driver board" handles all the major heat-releasing electronics, and the "communication board" gets the sensitive brains. 
Provided that the driver board gets mounted to some big flat metal box, it'll sink the heat away from everything nicely. 
Even better if the driver board is an aluminum substrate, bolted to an aluminum box, for thermal expansion matching...

My opinion is that less sensitive parts linked with screws is better in a vibrating environment. And I love compact design- less material, less box to contain it- more fun.

Edited by Paul g
  • Like 2

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb