S22 tips, mods, suspension settings, tire pressure, etc. Share your experiences!

UniVehje

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I’ve never understood how one punctures the tube while installing a tire. Must be a choice of tools or a technique thing.

In my case looking back, a combination of a bit too much pressure in the tube and not soaping up the tire spoons before working the tire in place. I've never had a problem until having to really fight with this tubeless City Grip.

I never pinched a tube before.....and done this 10+ Times...but the beefy S22 rim and a Real mc tire and it happened. Now im running it tubeless and its great...not one Single psi got lost since then....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

A tube can have a small slow puncture as well. And it’s probably more common than having the valve stem tear out for a rapid deflation.

Right. Wasn't referring to the stem tearing out. More about it allowing air to escape through the valve stem hole upon puncture. Best explained at around 1:10 here: 

Idk I mean there's a reason every industry has switched to tubeless (even tractors). And if my wheel supports it, and was designed to support it, then I'm running it. Until winter that is, when I put the stock tire back on.😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, onkeldanuel said:

I never pinched a tube before.....and done this 10+ Times...but the beefy S22 rim and a Real mc tire and it happened. Now im running it tubeless and its great...not one Single psi got lost since then....

That's good to hear I'm not the only one. Also haven't lost any pressure for 3 long rides now. I know that's not that long, but it seems that with my tubed stock tire I would've lost a couple pounds by now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vikingto said:

Idk I mean there's a reason every industry has switched to tubeless (even tractors).

Mostly because it is much quicker and simpler to plug a tyre than replace or patch a tube when you get a flat. In motorsport applications there are definitely performance and reliability advantages.

I just used a PVR50 valve stem without any sealant and it is holding up great, no leaks.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

What PSI do you run with tubeless setup? 

I have been running it at 30, I'm 220lbs geared.  The City Grip 2 says 45psi max, and some peeps in here are running that tire at 40 (similar weight as me), and I don't know how they prefer that because it just seemed way too squirrely to me at that pressure. To be fair tho that was my first ride out with a street tire mounted to that wheel, and man did it completely change things.

Actually didn't like it on 1st ride (at night), missing the stability of the stock knobby and all. My thoughts were "I'm not so sure it's safe to have such a nimble tire on a wheel with this much power..?"  But 2nd ride was during the day where I could really take more time to feel it out, and what a blast.  The way you can sink into deep carves with that much power, with confidence it isn't gonna kick out or pedal scrape, with this kush of a suspension, is really something special.

It's gonna be hard to go back to the knobby once winter comes lol :cheers:

What are you running it at?

Edited by vikingto
grammar
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

so... how hot can the S22 amateur motor get before, well, it's too hot?

Got the motor to 93C today, and it wasn't that hot out.

Tiltback occurs at 120°C 

10 hours ago, vikingto said:

I have been running it at 30, I'm 220lbs geared.  The City Grip 2 says 45psi max, and some peeps in here are running that tire at 40 (similar weight as me), and I don't know how they prefer that because it just seemed way too squirrely to me at that pressure. To be fair tho that was my first ride out with a street tire mounted to that wheel, and man did it completely change things.

Actually didn't like it on 1st ride (at night), missing the stability of the stock knobby and all. My thoughts were "I'm not so sure it's safe to have such a nimble tire on a wheel with this much power..?"  But 2nd ride was during the day where I could really take more time to feel it out, and what a blast.  The way you can sink into deep carves with that much power, with confidence it isn't gonna kick out or pedal scrape, with this kush of a suspension, is really something special.

It's gonna be hard to go back to the knobby once winter comes lol :cheers:

What are you running it at?

Ok, thx, i ride at 28 psi currently wirth 190lbs geared 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Tawpie are you still charging to 80%?  You mentioned since you could monitor cell voltages charging to 80% you could see if they were balanced.   Has this changed?  Have they remained balanced?

Thanks for the insight.

21 minutes ago, Rider Baloo said:

Dear All! 

Can't wait to receive my S22 Pro :D

I would like to get street tyre right away, but I hesitate between size. 

80/80-14 or 90/90-14? 

Thanks in advance 

I recommend 90/90 but it's really a matter of taste. Smaller diameter gives you a bit more responsiveness. But with larger diameter you might get a bit more rounded profile if you want more predictable turning behaviour. Depending on which tire you choose also. I have the City Grip 2 with 90/90 profile and it works fine. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

I recommend 90/90 but it's really a matter of taste. Smaller diameter gives you a bit more responsiveness. But with larger diameter you might get a bit more rounded profile if you want more predictable turning behaviour. Depending on which tire you choose also. I have the City Grip 2 with 90/90 profile and it works fine. 

Thanks for your quick reply! I like the more rounded shape on my 18l so I will go for the suggested City Grip 2 with 90/90 ;)

Do I need to think about aftermarket rollers / sliders if I will commute urban mostly?    

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rider Baloo said:

Do I need to think about aftermarket rollers / sliders if I will commute urban mostly? 

Yes, most likely after a while. But you can start with the original rollers. They probably won't last very long. You might want to install better rollers while the wheel is open for tire change. 

On 4/25/2023 at 6:21 AM, mrelwood said:

There has been a disappointing amount of bearing failures on the S22 due to water intrusion. They have happened in common riding enviroments. With help from @UniVehje, I designed an additional bearing protector to be installed on top of the original factory installed cover. The model itself has been tested for fit, but we don't yet have any real life experiences on the efficacy of these additional covers. But if you wan't to play it safe, it's a relatively fast TPU print...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5989882

photo_2023-04-25_07-05-44.jpg.d37e5b3045d0f783c0c7f52ebe0662dd.jpg

Got my Pro motor today, the seal sits further out on the axle so not just different dimensions but also less space to put anything extra there.

What I did instead was to use a non-sharp tool to carefully push propeller grease inside the motor seal between the motor seal and the axle, hopefully that gives a bit of extra weather resistance.

Also on one side the motor seal was a bit misaligned and would probably have rubbed against the motor frame so what I did was to carefully push it in with a flat tool and a rubber mallet, it went in pretty easy and seated neatly giving enough tolerance as to not rub against the frame, possibly this is why some people had rubbing noises after installing the motor.

20230523_140014.thumb.jpg.edeafb6527451bf5dd87cffa4cdc956f.jpg

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/22/2023 at 10:38 AM, Paradox said:

@Tawpie are you still charging to 80%?  You mentioned since you could monitor cell voltages charging to 80% you could see if they were balanced.   Has this changed?  Have they remained balanced?

Thanks for the insight.

I am still (mostly) charging to 80% using the setting in the app. Max-min cell voltages remain around 17 mV which is more than fine in my book. I do occasionally do a full charge, but only when planning a long ride

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 2:30 AM, onkeldanuel said:

It could not be easyer , there is absolutely nothing to do or adapt...mount tl valve into the recession of the rim.

I cant see any potentional issues with holding air even without sealant , will see 

I’ve changed to tubeless also. I was in South Padre for Spacex’s BFR launch and tore up my tube! 300 miles from home so after running all over three towns I finally found a Harley dealer that had a 90 valve stem. Makes the Pirelli tire more responsive and smooth. 

What my wheel looks like with only the inner rollers installed... Everything is layered it dirt and the back rollers are covered more heavily in dirt...a bit of odd places groove wear...and the wire harness is especially rusty!!! 

PXL_20230525_195006310.jpg

PXL_20230525_194950315.jpg

PXL_20230525_195104394.jpg

PXL_20230525_195058313.jpg

PXL_20230525_195146013.jpg

I got my rollers from RevRides still working great! Instead of using oil I used dry lubricant. No rub marks and no poo all over the place doesn’t seem to stick. I use krylon plastic paint to protect parts like the wire protectors. 

On 5/25/2023 at 6:49 PM, mrelwood said:

Why?

WHY??? FUCK KS SLIDES SUCK, THE ROLLERS ARE TOO FAR APART ... YOU LITERALLY NEED TO FORCE ON SLIDES WITH ALL OF THEM ON!!! 

Edited by MetricUSA

3 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

WHY??? FUCK KS SLIDES SUCK, THE ROLLERS ARE TOO FAR APART ... YOU LITERALLY NEED TO FORCE ON SLIDES WITH ALL OF THEM ON!!! 

Dude… Go for a ride.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chanman said:

It's true though the black wheels they sent out first are too big and stick like hell putting the sliders on, the white wheels are much better.

I’m sure they are. But I would imagine that only having the inner rollers would create pretty drastic bending forces to the roller base structure, since all the forces will bend it to one direction only.

So, having gotten over the honeymoon period with my S22, I am noticing the ride isn't as comfortable as I hoped when I bought it. Apart from getting a different wheel (which I might do if I manage to sell both the old 18XL and the S22), what changes can I make to make the S22 more comfortable for riding streets/bike paths?

• change the suspension geometry? I think I have it at the highest right now...
  • suspension settings? I have fiddled with it, but don't really know what to do...
  • different spring? I weigh about 85kg/187lbs geared up, stock spring at the moment
  • change the tire? I don't mind the behavior of the default one and I've gotten used to it, but willing to re-learn on a different one
  • anything else? (it is a Pro, so roller sliders are already in)

The most I jump off of is the occasional curb, no trails/bmx parks etc.

Thanks

Edited by Weatherman159