S22 tips, mods, suspension settings, tire pressure, etc. Share your experiences!

UniVehje

10 hours ago, NErider said:

A better grease injected into the bearings also helps prevent early failure. The seal is good to keep water out, but if there is a proper amount of good grease inside the bearing itself, it will hold up much longer. 

Grease is old-school! 😉 No but I just picked up a set of these, SmartLUBE injected bearings, will install soon. The bearing specialty guys claim that nothing gets has a chance to get in, and is rated to hold up 5-6 years (not that I'll still be riding an S22 then, never know..) So we'll see

PXL_20230307_211003617.jpg

On 4/24/2023 at 12:18 AM, Weatherman159 said:

Do the eRides pedals have angle adjustment? In the video where Marty was reviewing them, he had to shim them with strips of metal to get an adjusted angle...

Sorry if tldr, but here's my review of the erides pedals for the S22:

So they do have angle adjustment, but imo they are angled perfectly right out of the box with no adjustment. In fact, they have a steeper angle than after I shimmed stock S22 pedals. So I guess a potential downside of the erides pedals would be if you wanted your S22 to have 0% angle (not sure why one would ever want that on this wide of a "1970's style Cadillac" EUC..?), but to each their own.

And I actually really liked the stock S22 pedals and didn't think the erides pedals would be much of an upgrade, I was dead wrong. So worth it. Initially bought them for my V12HT but didn't like them for that wheel, just was out of place for a wheel that I wanted to have a smaller more nimble feel. So the assist plates I felt were also overkill for the smaller V12, that and the erides V12 bracket had no angle to it (pre-shim). Even though there's a screw to change the angle, it's not intended for the V12's hangers.

Explained to Afeez that I think I made a mistake, not intending to return them but really just wanted to buy the S22 bracket to convert them over. He came through and agreed to ship the brackets for a cost plus shipping, such a good dude. Man, what a difference those pedals make in comfort on the S22. The un-shimmed angle, the assist plates (found I prefer just the heel plates, great for long hill climbs in my city), and you get an additional .5" of pedal height for clearance on the trails due to the bracket the pedals rest on.

Speaking of which, turns out the brackets drill schedule has apparently been a standard for aftermarket pedals for a few years now. So the spiked Ali Express pedals I bought 2yrs ago for my sold 18XL, fit perfectly on erides V12 bracket. I knew there was a reason I held onto those pedals haha!

In short, you will not be disappointed with the erides pedals on the S22. After the roller sliders, it's the single biggest upgrade I've made to it.

Edited by vikingto
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, vikingto said:

Sorry if tldr, but here's my review of the erides pedals for the S22:

So they do have angle adjustment, but imo they are angled perfectly right out of the box with no adjustment. In fact, they have a steeper angle than after I shimmed stock S22 pedals. So I guess a potential downside of the erides pedals would be if you wanted your S22 to have 0% angle (not sure why one would ever want that on this wide of a "1970's style Cadillac" EUC..?), but to each their own.

And I actually really liked the stock S22 pedals and didn't think the erides pedals would be much of an upgrade, I was dead wrong. So worth it. Initially bought them for my V12HT but didn't like them for that wheel, just was out of place for a wheel that I wanted to have a smaller more nimble feel. So the assist plates I felt were also overkill for the smaller V12, that and the erides V12 bracket had no angle to it (pre-shim). Even though there's a screw to change the angle, it's not intended for the V12's hangers.

Explained to Afeez that I think I made a mistake, not intending to return them but really just wanted to buy the S22 bracket to convert them over. He came through and agreed to ship the brackets for a cost plus shipping, such a good dude. Man, what a difference those pedals make in comfort on the S22. The un-shimmed angle, the assist plates (found I prefer just the heel plates, great for long hill climbs in my city), and you get an additional .5" of pedal height for clearance on the trails due to the bracket the pedals rest on.

Speaking of which, turns out the brackets drill schedule has apparently been a standard for aftermarket pedals for a few years now. So the spiked Ali Express pedals I bought 2yrs ago for my sold 18XL, fit perfectly on erides V12 bracket. I knew there was a reason I held onto those pedals haha!

In short, you will not be disappointed with the erides pedals on the S22. After the roller sliders, it's the single biggest upgrade I've made to it.

So different can opinions be like...

i hated them big Times....and reverted to stock as i like them very much...

Erides are heavy as fuck, no doubt about that, right?

For me the stock pedals are perfect angled (not 0%) and the erides are way more angled without even touching the angle adjustement and from there on they are adjustable to even more and more angle...

Whats the point on this adjustement range? Completely off. But thats perhaps just me 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

Whats the point on this adjustement range? Completely off. But thats perhaps just me 

They are making a big assumption there aren't they.  But for this wide of a wheel, I find the stock angle of the erides pedals to be just right.

And I'll take the additional weight for added strength any day, I've seen enough pics of people sheering those stock pedals in half.

S22 pro Motor received , disassembled to check everything and change bearings (because i already had it) , Motor is built date end of february 23 so assuming latest batch and have to say its built well without issues as far as i can tell and can slapped in as it is...

- Gasket at motorcovers is well and flexible (not the common hard glue)

- the silikon inside on temp sensor and motorwireentry is also a soft one now

- bearing seal is tight against the axle and seems reliable and sufficient, with a spring inside to hold it tight against its seat.... the additional 3d printed seal from a member here wont fit the pro motor, because the factory seal has no more lip now and is also thicker/higher now so there is no space left on top....

Installed a tubeless valve (8.5mm Version is direct fit in the tubeless valve seat? In the rim (amazing!) and a Heidenau k66 90/90 and worked immediately without sealant....like a charm it seems but will see

20230504_140039.jpg

20230504_140045.jpg

20230504_142415.jpg

20230504_142525.jpg

20230504_150332.jpg

20230504_155104.jpg

Edited by onkeldanuel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Great news, I suspected as much and have already voiced my belief in this topic previously, that going tubeless on the S22 rim would very likely be a very straightforward and painless procedure.

Thank you for your feedback and confirmation at this early stage, but very happy to hear that I was correct in my S22 tubeless tyre fitment assumption regarding ease of installation!

It could not be easyer , there is absolutely nothing to do or adapt...mount tl valve into the recession of the rim.

I cant see any potentional issues with holding air even without sealant , will see 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

I cant see any potentional issues with holding air even without sealant , will see 

If it is holding air right off the bat, then you should be All good. When I replaced the stock tubeless tyre on my Z10, I just used the usual "zip tie" method to get the tyre on then a high-pressure pump to "pop" the beads up over the lips and voila NO sealant required or any leakage of air to this day!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fbhb said:

If it is holding air right off the bat, then you should be All good. When I replaced the stock tubeless tyre on my Z10, I just used the usual "zip tie" method to get the tyre on then a high-pressure pump to "pop" the beads up over the lips and voila NO sealant required or any leakage of air to this day!

I dont have to use anything, it holded the air immediately with a normal comressor...i felt i could have it done with a handpump either...it seemed that it already sealed somehow even without any air in it 

10 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

the additional 3d printed seal from a member here wont fit the pro motor

Yeah, the original cover is now much taller. My seal definitely won’t fit. But the fitting seems much better also, so looks like there’s no need for an additional seal anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Yeah, the original cover is now much taller. My seal definitely won’t fit. But the fitting seems much better also, so looks like there’s no need for an additional seal anyway.

Yeah i think so too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Yeah I'm thinking about just putting some grease around there when I get my Pro motor and let the frame act as the seal 😅.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/5/2023 at 2:25 AM, fbhb said:

Great news, I suspected as much and have already voiced my belief in this topic previously, that going tubeless on the S22 rim would very likely be a very straightforward and painless procedure.

You were correct. Although I really fought that tire getting it on with tire spoons, thinking I damaged the bead and all, the tire popped into place with the air compressor and held air overnight. Valve was easy to install.

And after looking into how tubeless tires are made and the benefits of them, I don't think I'm gonna use sealant.

3rd ride today after install, and man is that a fun, fun wheel. Completely changed the ride. Forgot how much fun it is to carve so deep, that paired with that much power and a butter smooth suspension to sink into... Such a blast. So thanks man!

PXL_20230511_003535156~2.jpg

PXL_20230511_003535156~3.jpg

Edited by vikingto
Grammar
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vikingto said:

Completely changed the ride.

Are you saying that you feel a difference in carving behavior from making the tire tubeless? Are you using the same pressure?

Probably that little less weight give less gyroscopic effect?
But it must be minimal as the tube does not weight much compared to rim, motor and tire. (And with sealant the effect should be even smaller).

I see no other logical reason.

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Are you saying that you feel a difference in carving behavior from making the tire tubeless? Are you using the same pressure?

No, just meant changing from the stock knobby to the street tire. Planned on using a tube first then switching, but punctured it in 3 different spots wrenching that stiff-walled tire on. So I can't report if there's any ride difference between tube/tubeless.

The construction of the tubeless tire is reinforced in areas a tube only tire is not, correct? And even if that wasn't the case, the way a tubeless install handles punctures is completely different (slow leak vs rapid deflation from valve). So if anything it gives me more confidence.

Ride difference I can't comment on, yet. But having extra reinforcement from the beads to the walls and all over, you'd think would benefit deep carving with a heavier rider at high speeds, no?

• Upvote 2

I've installed the Michelin City Group 2 (tubeless) on my S22; although I used a tube anyway.

The tire is significantly more stiff than stock and rides (turning & carving) way, way better than the stock tire. Extremely stable.

I installed it because I got tired of the wheel wanting to fall over during fast turns.

• Like 2

punctured it in 3 different spots wrenching that stiff-walled tire on.

I’ve never understood how one punctures the tube while installing a tire. Must be a choice of tools or a technique thing.

The construction of the tubeless tire is reinforced in areas a tube only tire is not, correct?

Tubeless tires are generally stiffer, so yes, more reinforced.

And even if that wasn't the case, the way a tubeless install handles punctures is completely different (slow leak vs rapid deflation from valve).

A tube can have a small slow puncture as well. And it’s probably more common than having the valve stem tear out for a rapid deflation.

But having extra reinforcement from the beads to the walls and all over, you'd think would benefit deep carving with a heavier rider at high speeds, no?

I’m sure this is very much tire specific. While tubeless tires are generally stiffer, the tube itself creates some stiffness in a tubed tire. I don’t know if there is a definite difference in overall stiffness. And if there is, I’d imagine one could just compensate by pumping a little more air.

• Like 1

Great to hear tubeless seems to work so well on an S22, I just ordered a set of those tubeless valve stems from aliexpress, and have a Michelin Pilot Street 2 on the way.  I'm hoping to receive my S22 Pro in 2 or 3 weeks, can't wait.

• Like 2

The tubeless street moto tires being so stiff makes it a huge pain to do compared to the stock tires, I ended up having a shop do it for me on my S18, also punctured a tube trying myself.

Edited by chanman
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, chanman said:

The tubeless street moto tires being so stiff makes it a huge pain to do compared to the stock tires, I ended up having a shop do it for me on my S18, also punctured a tube trying myself.

Install tube into the tire first. Zip tie together in 4 corners. Put the tire onto the wheel then cut the zip ties. Easy and much faster than the 'normal' way. Works well on stiff tubeless as well. I've never pinched a tube since doing this.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, level9 said:

Install tube into the tire first. Zip tie together in 4 corners. Put the tire onto the wheel then cut the zip ties. Easy and much faster than the 'normal' way. Works well on stiff tubeless as well. I've never pinched a tube since doing this.

I will be doing this next time. Thanks!